main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Survey] We're moving, please tell us what you want

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    1) What existing features here are most important to you?

2) What new features would you most like to see?

3) What existing features here are least important to you?

4) What features that we don?t have that are common on some other boards do you feel are unimportant?

5) Are there any particular message board systems that you really like? What do you like about them?

6) Are there any forums that you think should be preserved as 100% intact, and should not be pruned at all?

7) Are there any changes to our interface that you would like to see? Is there anything about our interface that you think must be kept as is?

8) Is there anything else that you feel is important and should be taken into consideration with this move?

2. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004

PMs, bios/profiles, icons, banners, markups/faces.

Search function, longer editing time in some fora, PM deletion/preview, mainly.

WUL, sigs, ability to post images.

4) What features that we don?t have that are common on some other boards do you feel are unimportant?

Don't visit other boards, don't know.

5) Are there any particular message board systems that you really like? What do you like about them?

Ditto.

6) Are there any forums that you think should be preserved as 100% intact, and should not be pruned at all?

At all? Lit. Well, Lit minus the backlog of fanclubs/etc. that's pretty much all that's left from 2001.

Also, most of Comms, as well as the active parts of SWC and EUC should be saved too. Those are the forums I spend the most time in, so I can't say anything about

7) Are there any changes to our interface that you would like to see? Is there anything about our interface that you think must be kept as is?

No to both.

8) Is there anything else that you feel is important and should be taken into consideration with this move?

Keeping, at the very least, active forums and active user accounts (with reg dates and post counts). WUL and bios can be fixed, so I don't think they're that important.

3. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    1) Favorite boards list.
    2) More private message options, quoting function.
    3) Watched users list.
    4) 'last post made by' message next to the author of the thread.
    5) The off topic board you linked to looks alright.
    6) No, hahaha!
    7) Keep it as it is, retain as much of the old JC as possible.
    8) Yeah, the timing of it all. ROTS is coming out soon, get things sorted out before novel scriptures start to leak.

4. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

My Gawd this thread is gonna be huge.

No more effing OPPM. It really serves no purpose.

P.S.

Make me an Admin.

5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Could we just pm you instead of making a hugh thread and just make this a sticky for right now to help with getting the feedback?

~PK~

6. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I would greatly appreciate gaining the ability to use at the least link-tags in sigs. It may not cause problems for those who use their sigs for quotes, but for the fan-fic writers who use sigs as a way to provide links to their work, most of a sig can be taken up with 2 or 3 long links to fanfic threads.

(I'll probably post a longer response later answering all the posed questions, but that is the one thing that has bugged me constantly)

7. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    1) What existing features here are most important to you? PMs, bios/profiles, icons, banners, markups/faces.

2) What new features would you most like to see? PM deletion option.

3) What existing features here are least important to you? I suppose image posting.

4) What features that we don?t have that are common on some other boards do you feel are unimportant? I don't frequent other boards much.

5) Are there any particular message board systems that you really like? What do you like about them? See above...

6) Are there any forums that you think should be preserved as 100% intact, and should not be pruned at all? Well, no. There are so many spam and whatever threads in every forum that need to be gotten rid of.

7) Are there any changes to our interface that you would like to see? Is there anything about our interface that you think must be kept as is? Can't think of anything.

8) Is there anything else that you feel is important and should be taken into consideration with this move? Just try not to screw up, and loose the boards, huh? :p

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002

Favorite boards list.

I'd like the right to block certain users' posts and PMs, and yet you could still view their posts in a seperate window if you we're really curious. If we go with vBulletin, we might be in luck. Last time I checked, that's one of the glorious features.

User Notes. :p

Hmmm, not sure of any.

Discoboards would be my choice. It's coding is very similar to Discoboards, so if we transferred over to that, we really wouldn't be missing much.

Comms and the YJCC. I know the YJCC has been through a lot, but over the climax, there have been quite a few really great threads made that have worked with the growth of the boards. Comms kind of speaks for itself.

No changes at all. I like the interface the exact way it is.

Not at the moment. If I think of any in the future, I'll feel free to post them, though.

9. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004

Design and ease of use. This is by far the most acessible forum I've ever used and I'd like to see it stay that way. The design is just right, not too simple, and not too complicated.

More emoticons, NOT animated, but maybe Star Wars-themed, like the starwars.com forum has?

The 'New Boards' link up between 'Help' and 'Terms of Service'. It's useless.

User icon uploading, it leads to a lot of hassle and detracts from the Star Wars feel, because most icons won't be Star Wars. Don't add it.

-

YJCC! :p

But seriously, Comms or WNU, because there's a lot of old threads that are very useful, especially for newer members.

Like I said before, simplicity is a must, and I have very few problems with the JC's excellent interface. Aside from the note above about the 'New Boards' link, I'd say keep it as it is.

I'm not too keen on the picture posting system, how every single picture, regardless of size, is squashed into that box. I'd say just have it so that pictures above a certain size get boxed but small pictures can stay like they are.

EDIT: And I almost forgot, gotta have link tags in sigs. It seems quite pointless to waste a line with a loooong address just so it can be linked.

10. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Snowball is right.
    This thread is going to be flooded.

11. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Well I'm joining the Band Wagon:

PM's, Fave Board, WUL, Post Count, Reg Date

Automatic formating when your posting so no me having to attempt and remember html for colors or anything else.

Posting Images and Avatars.

The search thingy, I think if you want to find something do it the old fashion way and look back a few pages to find it.

http://forums.gencon.com/
    I really like that they have alot of the features we have but they don't have WUL or Reg Date. But other then that it's pretty much the same.

AOTC and TPM there are some really important threads and memories in there I thought might get combined in the big move of them being one forum anyway. The others should be okay with some pruning. And 3SA will need serve sticky threads as to this is fact and this is fiction so we don't run into serious trolling cause everything would be considered new.

Um if I really understood this one I would answer.

Just the everyday user, making sure we're going to be okay in this move is the important issue. Because we're the ones who come back everyday and make this place what it is. So I think as long as we're going to be happy and everything it's going to be an okay move.

~PK~

12. Dudemeyster

Dudemeyster Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2004
    1) What existing features here are most important to you? Everything...I really don't put one thing ahead of the rest. Maybe registration date :p

2) What new features would you most like to see? Can't think of anything but I'm sure there are things that would improve the boards out there.

3) What existing features here are least important to you? Nothing really.

4) What features that we don?t have that are common on some other boards do you feel are unimportant? I don't use other boards enough to comment on this.

5) Are there any particular message board systems that you really like? What do you like about them? vBulletin is very good, from what I've seen on other websites and messing around with my friend's. They can have most if not all the features these forums have.

6) Are there any forums that you think should be preserved as 100% intact, and should not be pruned at all? I think most of the forums should be kept intact, especially the Fanfic ones since a lot of people have their stuff on there.

7) Are there any changes to our interface that you would like to see? Is there anything about our interface that you think must be kept as is? The interface seems perfect to me as it is now.

8) Is there anything else that you feel is important and should be taken into consideration with this move? Make sure users are well informed as to what exactly will be taking place and when.

13. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Bios/Profiles, Signatures, Icons, Banners, Mark-ups/faces, PMs!, Favorite boards, The ease with which the forums are designed (I really like the setup), Registration date

Better forum search function, Preview/delete option for PMs, Longer edit times, Quote function, A way to put link-tags in sigs

OPPM

Don?t visit other boards/pay attention, so I don?t know

I enjoy proboards, but I like the way the JCF is currently set up better

Fanfiction

Not computer smart enough to understand this question

Active user accounts, Certain/active forums like Fanfiction/fanart, The timing is completely messed up, but not much we can do about it

~LtJS @};-

14. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
  15. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004

User Search, icons, profile (bio included), and PMs.

[i]2) What new features would you most like to see?[/i]

The ability to delete PMs, or even block PMs from certain people. Also, I would like the categorizing of Sent and read PMs to be combined into one with "Sent" and "Read" labels on each PM so that way it's much easier to look back on a conversation.

[hr]

[i]3) What existing features here are least important to you?[/i]

Post Notification and Search (just b/c it doesn't work).

[hr]

[i]4) What features that we don?t have that are common on some other boards do you feel are unimportant?[/i]

Well, I couldn't say anything as to the unimportant features of other boards, but as for important ones that I would like to see- Carbon Copy PMs, it would make sending out info to SH game player miraculously easier.

[hr]

[i]5) Are there any particular message board systems that you really like? What do you like about them?[/i]

Well, right now vB looks like the best candidate b/c it seems to be the most customizable but I haven't seen what InvisionPower looks like yet.

[hr]

[i]6) Are there any forums that you think should be preserved as 100% intact, and should not be pruned at all?[/i]

[u]All of them.[/u] Except WNU. All those welcome threads can go bye-bye.

[hr]

[i]7) Are there any changes to our interface that you would like to see? Is there anything about our interface that you think must be kept as is?[/i]

Everything about the interface should be kept the same, honestly. What we have here is the Cadillac of forum interface.

[hr]

[i]8) Is there anything else that you feel is important and should be taken into consideration with this move?[/i]

Certain special user modifications, i.e., I would like my username's registration date to be changed to the original date I registered on these boards- July 2003 under my first main username. I would also like the combined post counts of the three main sns I've used on these forums to be combined into one for this account.

16. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000

Icon's, drop-down menu's, ability to edit own posts in Fan Fiction forums.

The one thing that I'd like to see is a spell-checker. Custom avatars is another. Most sites offer this ability, and it's not abused. The same with custom titles. If there's still the concern of Star Wars images only, create a rule that it is the only kind of images that we can use. If people break that rule, take the feature away. Ability to block people via PM would be another nice one.

Registered Dates. I don't care when someone has registered to the site. If you really wish to know this, you can look into a person's profile. Not a big deal, but it's something I wouldn't miss. Signatures is another thing. Ability to post images.

Ability to create your own title. Editing your own posts for an unlimited time. Images in signatures.

Php is really nice. It's a good, clean look. Easy to follow system. Invision is nice too. Another easy system to follow.

The three main Fan Fiction forums I think should be protected in the move. Beyond the Saga. The Saga. And Before the Saga. I feel they should be protected as they're not that old. The other's should be pruned I think. Classic Fan Fiction could be axed all together really. Only the first few pages of the forum are active at all.

When reading threads, in some forums there's a huge boarder space that you see that has nothing on it, and the main thread page is pushed off to the side near the edge of the screen. I would like the space where you read posts to be much more centered.

I would like the forums that are felt to be important to be protected. I would like information to be posted when it's available on the date the move will happen on good notice to ensure that information user's wish to save can do so.

17. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    PM system

Improvements to the PM system - ability to delete messages, preview feature, search for messages, etc.

Easy code for writing messages - it gets rather tedious writing in all the pseudo-HTML code to bold and italicize, so why not have a panel that does this for you? And maybe a "click a smiley" would be nice too.

[Not really a feature but I really want to see this gone]

"Please welcome our newest user...."

This is the perfect switch... vB has just about every feature that Snowboard has and it reminds me of UBB I'm not entirely sure if the software supports the JC's volume, although VirtualDR has over 70k members itself.

Not really, but I can understand Communications and perhaps FanFic.

Other than the stuff I mentioned, keep it intact as much as possible.

Nope

18. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    PM's, profiles/bios, icons, markups, faces, sigs, WUL, Reg. date, post history, unlimited editing time in the FanFic forums.

Better search function, ability to delete PMs, "last post by" column on the forum pages, easier code for smileys and messages.

Ability to post images, OPPM

don't really know...

VBulletin...similar but wider variety of options, highly customizable.

There are probably some threads everywhere that can be deleted

Ummm...

Just that it should stay roughly as easy to use as this is.

Jes

19. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    1) PM system, icons, profiles, signatures, watched user list, image posting and I definitely agree with unlimited editing time in the FanFic forums.

2) Ability to preview and delete PMs. An option that will write the simple HTML code for you (bold, italic, underlines). When you click on the Markup Codes or Faces links they automatically open in a new window or pop up. Fix the Search function so it works like it's supposed to.

3) Active topic notification.

4) I like it when you can see who posted last in a thread. And maybe I'm just dumb, but I've never been able to figure out if you can get the time off of PST and onto something else. I've easily done this on other boards.

5) After a bit of investigation, vBulletin seems quite good.

6) Well all of them, but especially the four main FanFic boards. And it would be a shame to lose any of the ROTS speculation in the 3NS so close to the actual movie release.

7) I would keep it very similiar, with the main improvements that everyone always talks about. It's the best looking and easiest to use of any of the other boards I've come across, and I hope it stays that way.

20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999

All of them.

Thread moving. The ability to hide Fan Force because it clutters the front page.

Small images.

None.

UBB is really nice. I like it cause it's old school.

AOTC and TPM should be merged. Fan Force should be better hidden so that it doesn't clutter up the front page.

Nothing that I can think of.

Are we sure we don't have 25 grand a year to blow?

21. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    My user name, watched users list PMs,profiles, icons, banners, markups/faces.

Improved search function, ability to quote or pm users inside threads with a single click, bigger and custom avs, the ability to stay logged in indefinetly if one chooses, go to your post when you post instead of back to the top of the page, easier codes.

like them all

don't know

I like the style and ease of vB boards, alot of things are very user friendly. I think they could carry the load. To see another good example Board with a heavy daily usage

6) Are there any forums that you think should be preserved as 100% intact, and should not be pruned at all? Episode 3 sections, Literature and artwork sections, anything like that.

aside from more user friendly things I mentioned above and keep the banner rotating up, I'd say no.

Needs to be done ASAP with the approach of ROTS drawing ever near.

22. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Bring zerosleep with us, so he can stop any bleeding, or squeeky nutz and boltz while the new board gets transplanted and operational again. :D

23. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003

Profile, banners, PMs, WUL, favourite forums, the good selection of smilies here, drop-down forum menu, mark-ups and those links under everyone's post: "PM user, see post history" etc

Search function for PMs, and a bigger limit for profiles.

That new post notification thing.

Images/mark-ups in sigs.

Nope.

Comms, since there are many helpful threads and links about the place.

The interface is fine as it is. I think people's usernames, and icon should remain on the left of every post, and all the links such as "options", "search" and "Private messages" should remain in a row.

Nothing else comes to mind right now.

24. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Stupid editing limits...

Just thought of this... I know I said there are probably some threads on every board that can be deleted, but I think the Fan Fiction Boards and Fan Fiction Resource should be kept intact. Admittedly, that's where I spend most of my time, but a lot of the stories have had a LOT of effort go into them, and Resource is very useful to all of us writers.

Jes

25. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    oh wow. Wouldnt it just be dandy if usernotes were deleted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.