main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA SW: CCG Anyone?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Shewski, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Hi all,

Brian (ben_ethus) and I were talking about the old collectible card game at the party and we both found out that we used to play it. Terry let us know that some place in New Kensington, Scorched Earth, has a gaming night for the TCG and the CCG.

My question is, does anyone else want to try and start something were we can meet and play the CCG everyone once in a while, maybe at the Scorched earth place?

If not, me and Brian will have a good time beating the snot out of each other =)

2. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings.

As you said, dude, I'd be all about getting together for some SW:CCG action. Maybe I'll finally be able to get my money's worth out of those bad boys. :)

Speaking of which, Shewski, you up for playin' some CCG tomorrow (Tuesday) night? I've got off work, and got no plans. Call, post, or PM me to let me know.

Looking over all my old decks,
    Yours Truly

3. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    That sounds like it would be fun- my only problem is that I have no decks made up! Argh!

What time are you thinking? I get off at 5:30, back to my grandma's by 6 at the latest, and I could probably whip up something...

If time is too much of a factor, I will make an effort to make some decks up tonight and we can meet up some other time soon.

Do you know rulings? I did, up to jabba's Palace.

Let me know!

4. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Well, Ben and I had a fun night!

We ended up with an overall draw, I took the game as the Dark Side and her did the same.

We probably will be getting together sometime soon- let either of us know if you are interested?

PS- When we play next time, do you want to make any restrictions? IE no episode 1 or virtual cards, or something like that?

5. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    So other people play, too?
    That's cool, I haven't been able to play with anybody. I'll blow the dust off my cards I've been meaning to sell on ebay.

6. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Yes, please do! Where do you live?

7. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    Pretty far north, near the border of Beaver and Butler county.

8. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Yeah, that is pretty far north. =)

You may be too far away for some of our more impromptu gaming times, but if we make plans for tournaments or anything like that, I'll post it on the boards.

9. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

In regards to restricting cards, I say bullox to that. If you can get your hands on a card, I say use it. If it turns out it's the "Ultimo Card of Destruction" that never, ever, ever, ever loses, then maybe we can consider limiting its use.

For now, I say pull out the stops!

I, personally, can't go any higher/more recent than Death Star II, because I never picked up any sets beyond that. I may look into that Virtual Set thing, if it's as free as I'm led to believe, but besides that my collection only goes up to Death Star II.

And, Shewski... as soon as you finish up some decks, let me know, and we can get some more games in. I'm curious to see if my old decks are still up to snuff.

If anyone else wants in, feel free to let us know. More people = more fun. Heck, if anyone just wants to stop by to learn I'm sure me and Shewski have enough cards between us to let newbies have a run at it. Actually, now that I think of it, those two Death Star II prefabs that I have would be excellent decks to learn off of. Good combination of space and land to fight on...

I'm liking the fact that I'm actually able to use my cards now. Good stuff! :)

Looking forward to throwing victims into the Sarlaac pit,
    Yours Truly

10. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    I stopped collecting cards after "Jabba's Palace". At that point there were rumors of an "Endor", a "Death Star Two" and a "Games" pack. Did they ever come out with them? I know they released Endor, what about the rest?

11. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Yeah, we can easily teach anyone interested in things.

As for expansions, I believe the order that they came out is:

Jabbas Palace, Special Edition, Enhanced Jabba's, JP Sealed Deck, Third Anthology, Reflections 2, Endor, Death Star 2, Tatooine, Coruscant, Theed Palace, Reflections 3 and now the virtual cards.

I will have at you, Ben! I'm making some decks up as we speak!

12. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I believe the order goes something like this...
    (starting from Jabba's palace and going more recent)

*Jabba's Palace Limited Expansion Set
    *Offical Tournament Sealed Deck Premium Cards(Those square boxes! Great for holding decks!)
    *Second Anthology
    *Revised A New Hope (for those who missed it the first time out, and for suckers who wanted to buy it again)
    *Revised Hoth (once again for newbies and hardcore suckers)
    *Special Edition Limited Expansion set (HUGE set [324 cards!!!] that encompasses all 3 Special Edition flicks.)
    *Enhanced Premiere packs (Your favorite characters... with their own weapons attached!!! Brutal!)
    *Endor Limited Expansion (Introduced foil cards, which I *HATE*. Good set otherwise.)
    *Enhanced Cloud City (More characters with guns!!! And some in ships!!!)
    *Enhanced Jabba's Palace (More characters with guns!!! Plus Mara Jade!!! Jodo Kast!!! COOOOOOL!)
    *Reflections (A good chance to score some old cards randomly. Multiple rares in same pack!!! Foil-versions of other ones!)
    *Third Anthology
    *Death Star II (This is where I stopped, but the Gaming Train kept trucking!)
    *Jabba's Palace Sealed Deck
    *Reflections II
    *Tatooine
    *Coruscant
    *Reflections III
    *Theed Palace
    *Virtual Sets

Then the game died.

R.I.P.

Hope that's helpful, dude.

If you want to see card lists for everything, go here.

Feeling nostalgic,
    Yours Truly

13. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    Holy crap!

I had no idea there were so many...

How many have gone "Unlimited edition", aka White-Border?

When I left the game, ANH just went white-border, and hoth was next on the list.

Before the forementioned, there were:
    Premiere
    A New Hope
    Hoth
    Dagobah
    Cloud City
    Jabba's Palace

Correct?

And thank you both for the card lists. :)

14. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

No sweat on the card list, dude. That link I provided in an earlier post gives a run-down of every single card for every single set, and the order in which they were created. Vewwy, vewwy useful, no?

Moving on, I just finished tinkering with a deck or two, adding in a few new cards, and tweaking the heck out of them while watching American Pie 2, making them significantly better.

As a result, I will officially start the pre-game trash-talking.

*ahem*

*gets into professional wrestling character*

Shewski... Next time we play, you're going down, son! *points at camera viciously* My stormtroopers are gonna run wild on youuuuuu!!! *flex* They will crush their enemies!!! See them driven before them!!! And they will hear the lamentation of the women!!! *bigger flex* Grrrrrr!!! Growwwwwr!!!

*back to normal*

*shakes head*

Uh, yeah, anyway...

Looking forward to our next session.

Till then, fellows!

Crom,
    Yours Truly

15. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    I can't return the trash talking since I have no clue where to go with my cards....

So many options- it boggles the mind!

I think I have an idea for my DS deck, and I'll work on the LS one over the weekend.

I'm so freaked out about these objectives- do I have to use them?

Eh, regardless, I'll get you, and your little dog too!

16. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I'm not really the one who should be doling out advice on deck-making, as I pretty much always lose, but here are some tidbits that I tend to go by that I'll share with you, Shewski...

Here they are:

a) You don't need to play an objective to win, or succeed. Sure, they can help (to an incredible degree sometimes), but they're pretty much there only to get the game moving quicker and have more fun.

Example: Which game would be more fun to play?

1) The one where you slowly force-drained your opponent to death over 80 turns, or...

2) The one where you threw all his characters into the sarlaac pit, causing 8 damage each time, dealing the crippling blow?

No-brainer if you ask me... :)

Also, objectives almost always guarantee force generation of 5+ from the first turn for both players. That's exceedingly helpful for getting the game moving early on, which results in a more enjoyable game.

So, basically, only play an objective if you think it would be fun to try to accomplish. Also, if you pick one, choose one that you actually *can* finish.

If they frighten you, don't use one. I only have 2 decks of my, like 8, that use them. I dislike most of them. They don't excite me all that much.

b) If you don't use an objective, simply pick a strategy that is fun for you to try to accomplish.

If you think it would be fun to blow up the Death Star, make a deck for it.

If you like the idea of Jawas running rampant and murdering your opponent through sabaac, try it.

I've always tried to make decks that are "fun" to play rather than insanely winnable. That's probably why I generally lose.

So, basically, since I can't tell you what you think is fun, I can't really give you that much advice on what you should build your decks around.

c) Using starting interrupts, if not using an objective, can be a big help to getting the game moving quicker at the start, and helping you achieve your strategy's goals.

------------------------------------
    The next two are pretty obvious, but I've been known to slip up on them once and a while. As I said, I generally always lose.
    -------------------------------------

d) Have plenty of characters handy. Nothing worse than getting drained six ways from Sunday, because you lost all two of your characters at the beginning.

e) Keep those destiny values on the up-and-up. Lots of cool characters = lots of cool characters, but horrible destiny draws. Keep a balance.

So, that's about it, really. If your collection of cards rivals mine, Shewski, (and based on our conversations, I think it does) I could see how starting a new deck from scratch would be daunting. I'm kinda glad I had all my oldies on standby.

Welll, good luck on making your decks. I'll be looking forward to your completing them, so that we can continue taking whacks at each other.

Deploying Corporal Midge on Endor,
    Yours Truly

P.S. My stormtroopers are gonna walk all over you, suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

17. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

In regards to an earlier topic of discussion, I still feel we should be allowed to use whatever cards we want; however, I think it would be courteous if we each mentioned if we were gonna use any cards past Reflections II, as it seems most people don't seem to be real familiar with the later stuff. (Goodness knows *I* won't be instigating any pod-races anytime soon.)

Now, bear in mind, you don't have to say what cards you want to use, but I think it would be nice to mention before the game starts if you're planning on using anything new and weird.

For example, I'll make it known board-wide here and now that the trooper deck I've been embellishing will make use of cards from the Virtual sets. I took a gander at them the other night, and liked some of what I saw.

So, yeah, that's about it. I just thought it would be cool to give your opponent a heads-up before wackiness ensued. That's all I got.

Watching as Yoda makes an attack run on the second Death Star,
    Yours Truly

18. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Ok- I really wish that I had some mroe starting interrupts- All I have is the old Twilek Advisor, I think.

I just finished making up my DS deck, fool!

I decided to go easy on you and not make a podracing deck, since you don't have any of the cards and all, but I can't say that I avoided a certain Sith apprentice... BWAHAHAA...

::paul Heyman walks out::

This here is the NEXT BIG THING!

::I'm shrugging my shoulders like Lesnar::

You don't mess with the NEXT BIG THING! You get messed with! Stormtroopers are like tic tacs to THE NEXT BIG THING. He will eat them, be minty fresh, and walk all over you!

=) Looking forward to a good game ( I hope!)

19. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Yo, Shewski!

Think you'll have any/all of your decks made up by Monday or Tuesday night? I've got both those nights off and would totally be up for whomping all over you with my crack team of stormtroopers or my Tatooine Liberation Task Force.

Let me know if you think you can make one of those nights and get some crazy CCG action in.

Able to already hear your knees knocking in fear,
    Yours Truly

20. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Howdy!

I actually just finished putting the decks together last night. On the way down to the Steelers game yesterday I was trying to write out a deck to use for the LS.

Either night is fine with me- I could run home tonight and eat then come over, or I could give you directions to my place, whichever would be easier.

Let me know- I'd like to try out these decks and see how far gone I really have become.

21. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    ----------------------------------------
    HOLONET NEWS FLASH
    ----------------------------------------

Plok Grifkin reports...

The Grand Army of Our Empire was upset today by a group of unruly left-wing political dissidents hiding out on the remote system of Hoth.

Regardless that the nefarious terroristic group was outnumbered, outclassed, and outgunned, they managed to eke out a victory using dodgy guerilla tactics, in conjunction with a shady planetary-shielding system, which prevented detachments of troopers from being deployed in a reasonable fashion.

Hiding out in a hollowed out ice-cube of their own design, the cowardly rebels eventually won out after a lenghty battle of attrition. A wizened old fogey was rumored to have been spotted casting "spells" on some of the more "softer-minded" troopers, but this reporter attributes those outlandish stories to aggravation of the mind resulting from the stresses of battle.

Our Benevolent Emperor, after hearing the news, swore that he'd "get those fiendish cads, even if it's the last thing he does!" Lord Vader, his right-hand man (no pun intended), added, "Yeah! Me too!"

In related news, our garrison on the wispy planet of Bespin is still holding strong, the mere presence of our brave troopers apparently enough of a deterrent to the crafty terrorists who are wreaking havoc elsewhere in our fine Empire. Despite rumors of potential anti-Empirical displays of violence, nothing out of the ordinary occurred on the cloudy planet, though plenty of gas was harvested, and the ugnaughts, as ever, remain to be really ugly.

Also, in market news, the price of Hothian Imported Ice Cubes went up 2 6/7 credits.

That's all for today, folks.

Remember, Emperor is watching you.

Behave,
    Plok Grifkin

-------------------------------------------
    END OF DATA TRANSMISSION
    -------------------------------------------

22. Mrs_jedi_1966

Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    what a cute fluffy way of saying Shewski beat the stuffing out of you [face_laugh]

:D

23. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Ben, your sense of humor never ceases to amaze me!

Had a fun time last night, granted, I did win, but just getting together and shooting the CCG breeze is very enjoyable.

I luckily made up a Rebel deck that was an inherently good counter to the powers of the Imperial troopers- basically, we avoided each other most of the game.

The other game was very enjoyable as well- Ben was trying to free Carbon Frozen Han, but my hit squad of Mara Jade, Dr. Evazan & Ponda Baba, and Dengar would have none of it. Meanwhile, evil Billy Dee was playing sabacc on Cloud City, while trying to avoid a PMSing Leia, armed to the hilt!

Good times all around!

I'll try to make up two new decks for next time we play!

24. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Even though I lost all the games last night, I also had a good time. I've gotten so used to losing at the game, it ceased to bother me a while ago. ;) If anything, it drives me to try even harder to make half-way decent decks.

At any rate, rather than sleep last night, I decided to go through and semi-sort my Death Star II cards, simply to get them out of the packs. As it turns out, I have like 3 Death Star II super-lasers, the Epic Event to fire the lasers, all the related sectors, but no Death Star II. Booooooo! I also could have sworn I had both "Instant-Win" objectives, but could only find the one, which I can't even use, since I don't have the Ultra Rare DS2 Luke. Booooooo!

I'm going to try to brainstorm up a cool new Rebel Deck. I've already got a good idea for a new Imperial Deck, and just need to fashion it together. When I do.... oooOOOOooo, watch out!!! :p

I think I'm also going to refurbish the Tatooine Liberation Task Force deck, now that I know how much easier it is to rescue that crazy, frozen fiend known as Mr. Solo. And when I do... oooOOOOooo, watch out!!! :D

So I'll spend this week perfecting my stuff, so that I can hopefully lay a beat-down on Shewski on the next go-around. I'll get you one of these days!!!

Till that day,
    Yours Truly

25. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I just had another thought, Shewski. In the spirit of essentially "running a scenario," how do you feel about us creating two decks specially designed to face off against one another, mimicking a key moment from one of the movies?

The most obvious one being "Blow Up Death Star" vs. "Blow Up Yavin IV," but we could also do "Imperials Invading Hoth" vs. "Rebels Defending Hoth" or "Luke" vs "Vader" duel or "Ewoks" vs. "Biker Scouts" or "Rebels" vs. "Death Star II" or whatever else. Possibilities are endless!

I guess just let me know if this may be something that would interest you to do, and which scenario you think would be most fun to try, and which side you'd want to take. (Keep in mind, I didn't list all of 'em. Feel free to suggest another.)

For next time, I think I'd want to use the new Imp deck and funtastic new Rebel deck I'm going to build, but this could maybe be for the next, next time, which would also give us tons of time to perfect the decks.

At any rate, let me know what your thoughts/feelings/concerns are on the matter.

Same Ben channel,
    Yours Truly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.