main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW ep3 soundtrack - bonus dvd protection??

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by WhiteHorse, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteHorse

WhiteHorse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi ppl, i noticed one sittuation:
    - my girlfriend got a SW ep3 soundtrack cd. This comes with a "exclusive DVD" bonus disc wich is entitled "Star Wars: A musical jorney".

Well happens that the so called DVD refuses to work on the notebook dvd player. Windows media player says "Protection error", while power dvd just states an error code. So i am pretty much covinced the damm dvd is protected to only work on living rooms dvd players.

So i ask myself these questions and share them to you in hope somebody can help me answer them:
    - is this legal?
    - don´t i have the right to play dvd´s on a computer?
    - can i complain to the store that sold it and ask for a unprotected copy?
    - anybody else that has this dvd and has the same problem?

2. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't know about specifically your problem, but I guess it is a region code error.
    My DVD disc has a green rectangle with german text "Freigegeben ab 12 Jahren gemäß § 7 JÖSchG F". If your DVD is not region 2 (Europe), I guess that rectangle would not be there and you should be able to return it to where you bought it.

There are also some devious DVD players that changes the region setting to the disc being played, but will do so for maximum five times, then the region settings remains locked. I suggest you do a web search for more info about it.

3. MARCOLAS

MARCOLAS FF France North CR - FanForce Logo Designer star 6

Apr 3, 2001
    - is this legal?
    It depends of your country laws

- don´t i have the right to play dvd´s on a computer?
    Same answer

- can i complain to the store that sold it and ask for a unprotected copy?
    Don't think they have "unprotected copy", all the dvds are the same

- anybody else that has this dvd and has the same problem?
    Everyone who has bought the soundtrack. Btw, it works on my computer. You should try on another one.
    You can also try to download it from a peer to peer network. It's not so forbidden if you have the disk

4. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Yeah... That's our stupid German rating system. It resembles a "Rated PG" in the States, I guess it is on every region 2 DVD version.

5. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    mine works fine with media player and real player on the laptop. got it in france, though...

6. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    uh, sorry for my nonsense. it works fine with my dvd-program (can't remember the name), and the other two are for the music... sorry!

7. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    You can play a DVD with the real and media player though. :)

8. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    um yeah you can tell I'm not too much into computers and internet, right :D. thats why I'm here so late, I never got into the concept of boards before like, six months or so...

9. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    No problem, it takes some time to get used to everything. :)

10. WhiteHorse

WhiteHorse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Sorry for the late reply. It was a problem with the computer. I had to reinstall PowerDVD, dont remember if i also installed the SLD codec pack. But definitly was not a problem of the dvd (unfortunally the pc was not mine and i had no other to test, thanks for the replies tough. ^-^ Danke. Merci. Obrigado ;) To all ppl.

11. Nuklear

Nuklear Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    I have tha original dvd, and I see it using power dvd, on my desktop with no problems. The problem may be in the disc

12. imperialredguard

imperialredguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    Just FYI,

All DVDs for Western Europe, and i think alos for Easter Europe, are REGION 2.

Both Portugal and Germany are from REGION 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.