main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW fans...all guys... bad rap

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by -Doctor_Evil-, Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Doctor_Evil-

-Doctor_Evil- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2004
    Before I started coming around here I was under the popular misconception that SW fans were 99% geek guys.(of which I suppose I am one ;) ) Just looking around here, I'd say it still is probably more guys than ladies, but no where near what people think.

There are LOTS of ladies around here and it is GREAT! Heck if I'd have known, I'd have come around here MUCH sooner.

A quick question. Do other Sci-Fi franchises with "Devoted" fans like us seem to break down the same way? I ask because I was at a (mostly) Trek convention a number of years ago and it was about 95% guys there. Or do the cons tend to bring out mostly guys? I don't know because over on the C3 board, it seems like every other person going is a lady.

How about Trek or LotR? What do you all think the gender breakdown is there?

Doc

ps - I LOVE all the SW Fan-Women! I Celebrate you all!

2. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    I only talk about star wars in real life with a few friends, but message boards are something else. I belong to 3 SW message boards and would say that the ratio of guys to gals is about 4:1. I also have belonged to 2 trek boards in the past and the ratio was more like 15:1.
    So yeah, for some reason there does seam to be more female SW fans than Trek fans (at least that is what I have noticed).

3. -Doctor_Evil-

Sep 3, 2004
    That is what I thought. I wonder why SW has a more diverse (albeit still mostly male) gender base?

Later,

Doc

4. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Hmm...I always thought there were more guys for all sci-fi things. Of course, the only sci-fi lovers I know irl other than ff members are male except for two others...

5. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    See at least half the ones I know are female. My FF is even made up of more females than males, or it used to be.

If you look at the management in FF, the highest three are females and many of the RSA's and female too. Harder to tell with the CR's, but I'd say the split is near 50-50.

I guess we're not as rare as everyone thinks.

6. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    How old are you man?

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've never felt alone being a SW-fan, as some has said in the FF staff we are a lot of ladies, and my local chapter, FF Sweden, definetly started out with a majority of girls. I think this shows only how variated the SW franchise is. You can't deny though that at least here in Sweden whenever there's something in the media about SW it's the "boys with toys" that get the coverage, so female SW-fans are mostly unnoticed if you don't know where they are.

8. Diane

Diane Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2004
    I am a member also on this cool website called :
    www.myspace.com

It's so cool there because it let's you join many different themed groups at once from movies, tc and types of music to religion to politics and you can make your own groups and make your own photo gallaies and add other people to your friends network. Out of curosity I typed in the search for gals my age, from 25 to 36 and you'd be suprised at all the gals on there who like Star Wars. They are really nice looking women. one was a make-up artist to the stars and the other was a pro photographer for models. There are lots of attractive looking guys and girls there who are Star Wars fans. There are MANY Star wars groups on there that people have made I actually made one myself that is called, "Star Wars fans Who Are Not Geeks."

9. -Doctor_Evil-

Sep 3, 2004
    hehe... That is cool Dianne. But "Geek" is not quite the negative word it used to be. But I know what you mean. I have friends who would these days admit to being differrent kinds of "Geeks." A football geek, a video game geek, a car geek, a music geek, a running geek. Anymore "Geek" (man or women) seems to just mean a person that is "Really" into something.

Heck, I don't know if I trust someone who is not a "Geek" about something. I think it makes you are more well-rounded person to have a hobby you have some passion about, whatever it is.

Maybe "Dork" is the correct put-down phrase for an enthusiast these days? ;) Geek is practically a compliment.

Doc

10. Hot-Rebels

Hot-Rebels Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2004
    "ps - I LOVE all the SW Fan-Women! I Celebrate you all!"

I know what you mean, in fact my cohorts and I made a site about them... Please note, that sound you hear is that of a super shameless plug coming your way. You might want to escourt small children out of the room at this point, the upcoming plug is THAT shameless. ...You can check it out here: http://hot-rebels.tripod.com We plan to add some cool content like con pics and interviews with female Star Wars fans...as well as amass an impressive gallery of fangirls. We're convinced normal 'Star Wars Chicks' are out there, we've seen them. It's our goal to celebrate them, to show that you don't have to be a guy or a dork to love Star Wars.

Wow, that was shameless...I apologize. But I agree with you completely. It's quite shocking when you realize SW Fan-Women exist, and in quantity! SW fans get a bad rap indeed.

BTW, I also agree that "geek" doesn't have to be a bad word!

11. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Sometimes it gets annoying to be the only female SW geek in my area that I know well. Of course, the upside is that I get to hang out around a lot of guys... :p

And for the record, I am a SW/ST/LOTR fan. ;)

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    See I never find it annoying, I like it. But then, generally the fellow fan girls you meet are generally pretty awesome. I know the ones in my FF have become really good friends.

13. StompboXX

StompboXX Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    Our local Fanforce chapter was founded by woman.

But having said that, the number of guys in our group is greater than the number of girls. And the pretty ones are taken, actually. In fact, all of them are taken. Even our foundress.

4:1 seems like the ratio in our group too. Is it because Star Wars is basically an adventure flick (which attracts guys primarily)? Hey we have swords, blasters, cannons, Death Stars, and other weapons of mass destruction. Definitely a guy thing.

I guess women love SW because SW has women icons. Leia, Padme, Shaak Ti, Aayla Secura, etc.

Yeah, SW has something for everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.