main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga SW Saga In-Depth In-Depth Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by only one kenobi, Dec 23, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In the Leigh Brackett ESB screenplay, the Emperor wears gold. Snoke wears gold in TLJ.

2. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Now when i think back at what was said in the articles about the ST when we didn't knew we ever get those movies, i remember there was talk about a puppet master that orchestrated all the events happening in the PT and OT.

I wonder if Snoke was meant to be this being, or still is?

Tosche_Station and Lulu Mars like this.
  3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    An intriguing thought!
    Hm... What if Snoke was the only thing that kept the galaxy from being thrown into complete chaos? [face_thinking]

Darth Caliban likes this.
  4. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    That would just be a cheap way to try to connect the ST to the rest of the saga. And if another trilogy is made, there would be another ultimate evil master who was actually behind everything that happened before.

A good story must set up (or at least suggest) the big villain/ultimate threat from the beginning.

Tosche_Station and MS1 like this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, they did have the opportunity to say "Actually, Darth Plagueis wasn't killed" - which would also have been cheap, but not as cheap - but it seems like they weren't interested in going there.

It's probably for the best that they went the "new threat" route.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Tosche_Station likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hmmm, the New Yorker did not like Solo.

This article is good commentary on the themes of the saga and the direction it has gone. I disagree with quite a bit of it but it’s well written.

The growing emptiness of the Star Wars universe

Lulu Mars likes this.
  7. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    Good article and I think he's exactly right. The only way to keep pushing the Star Wars story forward is to continue to have new revelations surrounding the Force. There needs to be a grand purpose that the characters are seeking. Otherwise Star Wars is doomed to be repetitive if we continue on the current path.

Although I do like prequel and origin stories. Even if we know how they will end. There is nothing wrong with creating movies for the purpose of just being fun. I get a kick out of seeing events that were only talked about in the OT.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  8. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Good article. I agree with most of it, specially the last section:
    "In film after film, interchangeable young people will wrestle with the dark side before embracing hope. There will be an infinite supply of high-speed space chases and lightsabre duels. But the story will never end, and so will have ceased to be a story."

Tosche_Station likes this.
  9. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Wow, he liked Laura Dern in TLJ. :confused:

kalzeth likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I remember this being an issue with the EU. How many times were the Sith "extinct"? How many times did a Jedi turn to the dark side and revive the Sith? How many times did the Sith nearly conquer the galaxy? How many times did the second-in-command Sith betraying the leader save the day?

11. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    That's why I think future stories should delve into different aspects of the GFFA and its mythos. The struggle for balance can definitely be an element of the stories now and then, but it shouldn't be the primary focus outside of the Saga.
    As far as I'm concerned, RO and Solo have both been successful in that regard, so I remain hopeful.

That said, I wouldn't mind a TV/film series that shows us what happened 1000 years before the Saga, with Darth Bane and the Sith Empire. That stuff's got a lot of dramatic potential!

12. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    Imagine a Hogwarts for Sith full of angry little Anakins and Kylos:p

PCCViking likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or, as LEGO Star Wars put it, "Badawans". :D

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

I feel the same. I was originally excited for the ST cos in terms of where they could go with the story, the sky is the limit so to speak. Still feel that way to an extent...But I also get great enjoyment of going back, and finding out how things got the way they were. In the PT, Solo Rogue one etc. There were a lot of "OOoohhhh I see now!" moments for me in those films. I love that. But it takes an open mind. For example, the Kessel run was MUCH different than I imagined, but I liked it a lot!

15. jajje

jajje Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    I believe the current ST is actually more of Kasdan's/Kennedy's/Abrams'/Johnson's re-interpretation of the events leading up to the OT... Intertwined with bringing back the heroes of the OT - and sort of trying to connect the dots and please the general audience. A tricky business really.

Doing the Anthology movies and Rian's new trilogy seem to me like a better move - to create something that can stand on its' own in the SW-galaxy regardless of the restrictions brought on by GL's PT.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If Bob Dole waited longer to retire, would the Trade Federation Senator have been, "Dole Dodd"?

cratylus and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    I can't see that as Kylo already was on the dark side in TFA and there is no Palpatinelike character in the ST, politically maneuvering himself into a position of power.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've personally seen the dialed up to 11 Force powers that Snoke, Kylo and Rey demonstrate in the ST to be the offshoot of Anakin bringing balance to the Force. The rules are kind of sideways at the point. Mace distinctly says that the Jedi powers have been diminished (by the Sith Lord) So no Sith = crazy Force powers ability.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  19. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Yes. That's what i think too. Might be the reason why the title of Episode VII is "The Force Awakens"...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not what Windu meant.

wobbits likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think him saying "Our powers have diminished" is pretty self evident that they aren't as powerful.

cratylus and Darth Caliban like this.
  22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    He said that in the context of not being able to sense the creation of the clone army. At most, he means that all their normal powers which we're familiar with have been blunted, but all that is specifically shown to be affected is their powers of extrasensory perception. In no way is it reasonable to extrapolate from this that they had all kinds of crazy off-the-wall powers beforehand that they now suddenly don't.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly. The context of the conversation makes it obvious that Windu is referring to their foresight ability:

"Blind we are if the creation of this clone army we could not see."

Which builds upon something mentioned earlier in the movie:

"The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is."

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm under the impression that in 1977-1983, the Dark Lords of the Sith were supposed to be a group of Jedi who pledged themselves to Palpatine when the Jedi Purge began, but Palpatine himself wasn't supposed to be a Dark Lord of the Sith. Similarly, it's suggested that the Knights of Ren are Jedi who pledged themselves to Snoke when Snoke's Jedi Purge began, but Snoke himself doesn't seem to be a Knight of Ren.

Also, if Vader was a low-ranking Sith when he first turned, that would explain why he says, "I was but the learner."

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh great. Another prequel trilogy explaining the rise of the KoR.

BlackRanger likes this.