main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC SWC Jedi Draft/Starfighter Draft plans! This Is Happening!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by heels1785 , Feb 12, 2014.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I was picturing Ackbar and the such much more in the pre-match plan as opposed to the during match instruction.

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I’d also be keen to try another non-Jedi draft. My team got their ass kicked last time, but it was still fun.

3. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Sometimes that's the most fun-- see Shaq/Shaq/Shaq/Shaq/Shaq in the last Basketball Draft

DarthIntegral likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005

KenKenobi likes this.
  5. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    FAM! TONIGHT! SQUADRONS!

With the Jedi Draft entering the Finals, should line up well for peeps to run through the storyline and we can include any new characters/feats.

I'm happy to commish (@Point Given I'll defer to you since you ran the last one, but know you're running a got dang company now so).

Figure we def do the "pick one specific craft per round" with prep? But you gotta trump for ones that require a co-pilot. And I'm into an odd number for a $750 free trump, it's fun and seems to be causing no problems in the Multi-Fiction Draft, crazy as that thing is otherwise lol.

GET HYPE

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    With some of us still playing through Squadrons ... can I interest anyone in the following mini-draft idea I had:

Limited to Four GMs. We draft three times. We draft four characters each time.

First, we draft for the Jedi Draft. Normal Rules once drafted. We do a quick round-robin (four numbers called means we can call them all at once, and with three matches in the set, it won't take too long to get through it). First Place in the Jedi Draft is awarded five points, second place three points, third place two points.

Then, we draft for the Starfighter draft. Except, here's the wrinkle - anyone who was drafted for the Jedi Draft is now ineligible to be used here. So, goodbye Luke, Jaina, Vader, Thon, and some others. Then, we do a quick round-robin. Same as above, with calling numbers and with awarding points.

Finally, we draft for a Muggle Draft. Except - you guessed it, if they've been drafted elsewhere, they can't be drafted here.

Most points wins the draft. If there's a tie, we go to a tiebreaker, where each GM submits one character they had from each set, and we judge for a win.

Thoughts? Anyone wanna play? Anyone wanna judge? I'm willing to run it

7. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Sounds like a super fun idea to fill in time.

8. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I am interested if any capacity that you need.

Jedi Knight Fett and KenKenobi like this.
  9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm down

KenKenobi likes this.
  10. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I would spectate. Or run concessions or something.

11. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    I originally read that as "anyone who has been drafted" is ineligible i.e. if they've been drafted in a draft before

So you have to use peeps who have never fought or been argued for ever on the boards lol

Down to judge/help run (as a sidenote I think in the future all judges for a draft should be given numbers/permission to run them once a round of voting ends)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  12. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    *daydreams about compiling this list and the results*

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Yarael Poof and Yaddle have been drafted before. The top character in everyone’s lists will be below them. That would be a magnificent sight to behold.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes. Yes please. After the next Starfighter Draft, let's have this list ready and run a four GM draft.

KenKenobi likes this.
  15. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    RECORDS UPDATE!

Posting as much to admire colors while I have 'em as for public record lol. And also to bump the thread if we wanna Mini-Draft!

Some statistical notes...

--@Wang Chi retires as the all-time leader in wins (47), individual wins (277), Finals appearances (5), and tied for second in titles (2, with @Point Given/@DarkEagle/Madine)
    --@Talon_Kenobi still edges out total matches (68 to 67) despite not having played for literally 10+ years. Also this game is that old wtf
    --Does anyone know what happened to @Mikaboshi? His profile is like...gone. Hope he's well. His numbers are also at the tippy top and his battles with DE mark a whole era in the game's history
    --SecondBest, while hilariously stuck at 2nd in wins and the only top-10 GM with no title, actually leads TEAM wins with 28 and likely always will (from a time where teams battles were mandatory). Unban him.
    --Conversely Trimaj somehow played 20 matches and NEVER went to teams?!
    --@Lenea_Sandstrider leads the way with 14 individual ties, which...what. I figured @Jordan1Kenobi would start to enter that convo based on this past draft alone and he does (6)
    --The list goes to #55 purely to keep @xblackout's title on there, who also remains the only undefeated GM. Thanks a lot Thon (jk YOU'RE A CHAMPION AGAIN BUDDY)
    --@DarthTunick rounds out the complete list at 0-14, yet is still in the GOAT conversation

jedidraft-reference.com

NAME-- (OVERALL), (INDIVIDUALLY), (TEAMS)
    ★ = Champion
    * = teams mandatory (For awhile matches went to teams regardless of individual score, these tallies include those)

1.★★ Wang Chi-- (47-20), (277-205-5), (14-5)

2. SecondBest-- (41-19), (186-171), *(28-15)

3.★ Mikaboshi-- (38-21), (244-220-2), (5-4)

4.★★ GenMadine-- (38-22), (200-161), *(20-11)

5.★★★ KenKenobi-- (34-1), (161-77), (11-0)

6.★ Suzuki_Akira-- (34-22), (192-160), (13-13)

7.★ DarthIntegral-- (31-11), (136-122-2), (9-2)

8.★ Talon_Kenobi-- (30-38), (199-221), (12-12)

9.★★ DarkEagle-- (27-16), (240-191-1), (4-3)

10.★★ PointGiven (22-12), (151-118-6), (1-1)

11. Darth-Horax-- (22-14), (118-98), *(7-11)

12.★ Saber_Leader-- (21-15), (109-107), *(14-8)

13.★ bburditt-- (20-7), (91-71), *(11-5)

14. effortless_skill-- (20-20), (132-108), *(12-15)

15. Lenea_Sandstrider (19-21), (165-170-14), (1-2)

16.★ Corran10584-- (18-7), (87-63), *(15-2)

17.★ EMPEROR_WINDU-- (18-9), (85-77), *(10-4)

18. Zonama_Mekot-- (18-13), (107-79), (6-10)

19.★ Ghost_Jedi-- (18-13), (97-89), *(10-8)

20.★ HandofSkywalker86-- (17-9), (83-73), (9-5)

21. Jordan1Kenobi (17-18), (138-136-6), (1-1)

22. Axle-Starweilder-- (16-20), (106-126), (5-4)

23. Darth_Furio (15-6), (85-64-2), (2-2)

24.★ Mr_Sith-- (15-10), (81-69), *(13-5)

25. The Loyal Imperial (15-11), (106-92-1), (0-1)

26. PRENNTACULAR-- (14-19), (121-137-4), (5-6)
    27.★ KiwiRogue-- (12-5), (56-45), (4-3)
    28. Trimaj-- (12-9), (74-65-1)
    29. whiteeagle-- (12-38), (152-222-7), (5-5)
    30.★ Qui-Gon-Jinn2-- (11-3), (47-37), *(8-5)
    31.★ Gaeri-- (11-5), (55-41), *(9-7)

32. Yodaminch (11-11), (109-104-8), (0-1)
    33. MoronDude-- (11-15), (76-80), *(4-7)
    34. BartSimpson-SithLord-- (10-7), (50-52), (7-3)
    35. JediNemesis-- (9-8), (51-50), (4-4)
    36. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN-- (9-9), (57-51), (1-4)
    37. JansonsYellowAces-- (8-6), (41-43), *(8-6)
    38. Aragorn327-- (8-10), (61-55), (3-9)
    39. Saesee_Jim-- (8-25), (83-115), (2-5)
    40. Kyptastic-- (7-4), (44-34), (3-3)
    41. The Vanguard (7-5), (59-57-3), (1-0)
    42. heels1785-- (7-10), (51-61-2), (3-4)
    43. OBIX1-- (7-16), (63-75), *(7-13)
    44. captain-fantastic-- (6-2), (27-21), (2-1)
    45. New_York_Jedi-- (5-2), (24-18), (1-0)
    [New_York_Jedi (with a half-already-drafted team)-- (1-6), (17-25), (0-3)]
    46. NiktosRule-- (6-9), (44-46), *(4-11)
    47. Evil_King_Wiggins-- (6-11), (50-49-3)
    48. solojones-- (6-11), (51-51), (2-6)
    49. Trip-- (5-2), (26-16), (0-1)
    50. EmpireForever-- (5-2), (22-20), (4-1)
    51. ClarkWayne-- (5-3), (28-20), (1-2)
    52. Kleff_Rixxard-- (5-4), (31-22), (1-4)
    53. cubman987 (5-7), (63-52-5), (0-3)
    54. RX_Sith-- (5-15), (80-80-1), (2-3)
    55.★ xblackout-- (4-0), (17-15), (3-0)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    secondbest is definitely the Reggie Miller / Nique / Barkley of the Jedi Draft.

I can post a draft of the rules for the three x mini draft in here for review, or if a modly type wants to approve, I can just start a new game thread.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    DRAFT

Welcome to the first (only?) TRIPLE THREAT MINI STAR WARS DRAFT

If you've never played a draft game before, but you're reading this ... just sign up first and learn later. It's pretty simple. Here's a link to the most recent of each draft type, and they each contain links to historical drafts:

Jedi Draft
    Starfighter Draft
    Muggle Draft

This draft is a little different. Because we're doing all three.

So let's explain the participants, then the process, then get to the game:

Participants

1) The GMs. That's possibly you. You sign up. You draft, three times. You send in numbers (explained below). You argue. You win, you lose, you laugh, and you probably don't get all the references. There are a total of four (4) of these slots available.
    2) The Judges. That's also possibly you. Please, have played at least two drafts before signing up to judge. You then know what you do. You decide winners and losers, you ask for arguments. You laugh at @heels1785 There are a total of two (2) of these slots available.
    3) The Commish. That's me. I keep the game running. I update draft boards. I collect numbers and post matches. I judge if there's a tie.

The Process

First we draft for the Jedi Draft

I randomize the order, and we draft snake-style for four rounds.

Round 1:

Elmo
    Cookie Monster
    Bert
    Ernie

Round 2:

Ernie
    Bert
    Cookie Monster
    Elmo

Round 3:

Elmo
    Cookie Monster
    Bert
    Ernie

Round 4:

Ernie
    Bert
    Cookie Monster
    Elmo

Then we're done drafting ... for now.

Then I post matches. We'll do a round robin, so you'll play every GM once.

Now, you send in your numbers. You choose an order 1-4 for each character and send it to me. You can use these two optional strategies:

Trumping - you send to characters on the same number (twice). First time they are called, both fight. But, the second time, you forfeit and automatically lose that battle.
    Prep - your character has 24 hours to prepare for the opponent. They get a small file detailing fight styles, strengths and weaknesses, and their "go to" order at Dex's Diner. They also have access to bring up to two additional weapons and/or Armor and/or power-ups to battle (unprepared characters have only their primary weapon - lightsaber, lightwhip, doublebladed etc ... whatever they normally use ... so if you want a blaster or something ... you need to use prep). Now, keep in mind, you get a total of three preps for the entire draft. So use them wisely. I'll post a reminder of how many preps each team has left when I post new matches and ask for numbers. Prep does not allow bringing any other living beings into the arena, be it pets, buddies, or Dex.

So you might send your numbers as:

1. Yoda (Prepared)
    2. Obi-Wan Kenobi TRUMPED with Anakin Skywalker
    3. Anakin Skyealker TRUMPED with Obi-Wan Kenobi
    4. Mace Windu

That means when I call #3, both Skywalker and Kenobi will battle, but when I call #2, you will get a forfeit. Also, it means Yoda has twenty-four hours to use the info gets about his opponent, and can bring another weapon - such as the stick he used to hit R2-D2 in ESB - or a power-up (like the floating chair he rides around the Temple, or cute pictures of his son to distract his opponent)

The judges judge the winners. If you win three or four matches, you win the round. If you win two, you and your opponent go to teams, where all four opponents battle. Characters are prepped for information and strategy, but unable to bring extra weapons.

We do that Round Robin until everyone plays everyone, and then we award points - Five Points for first place, three points for second place, two points for third place.

Then ... we repeat it all for the Starfighter Draft

But, there are two twists

1) You cannot draft a character that was used in the Jedi Draft portion
    2) You are drafting six characters, not four.

This brings us to another strategy, wingmates

For two numbers in the draft, you get to submit wingmates. This acts just like a trump ... except it does not cause a forfeit. You can still Trump, but it seems like overkill.

If you use prep time in the Starfighter portion ... you get to choose a specific vehicle to pilot (need to use wingmen or trump if it's a two-person fly/fight like the Falcon or Ghost) and a specific Astromech to assist. If you don't use prep, the vehicle is a neutral in the class of a basic TIE or X-Wing.

So, your numbers might look like this:

1. Darth Vader
    2. Baron Soontir-Fel WITH WINGMATE Jagged Fel
    3. Jaina Solo
    4. Jacen Solo WITH WINGMATE Ben Solo

Then, we do just as above, with matches called and judged, a round robin, and points awarded in the same manner.

Then ... we repeat it for the Muggle Draft

But, just one twist this time. You cannot draft a character that was used in the Jedi or Starfighter Draft Portion.

Otherwise, you get trump and prep as they were in the Jedi Portion.

So, your numbers might look like:

1. Watto (Prepared)
    2. Jabba the Hutt (Prepared)
    3. Elan Sleazebaggano
    4. Kitster

We do it all again with the numbers called and the judging and the round robin and the points.

Then we tabulate points for all three, and declare a winner overall. If there's a tie, we go to a tiebreaker, where each GM submits one character they had from each set, and we judge for a win.

Draftable List

There is no draftable list. You can draft any character that has appeared in NuCanon or Legacy Canon (if they appeared in both, you get the combo of their experience and feats, unless one version is ineligible based on criteria) provided they:

Jedi Draft - have used the Force
    Starfighter Draft - Have piloted something (so, yes, you can draft Ben Quadrinaros, if you want)
    Muggle Draft - cannot and do not use the Force

Any changes or objections? I thought it might make sense to go Jedi -> Muggle -> Starfighter to maybe throw in some additional restrictions on pilots that can be drafted. I threw in the pilot prep/wingmates to test it here rather in a full SFD.

18. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    This isn't really specific to your draft, but can we go ahead and just say that this character can bring any weaponry/technology they can carry that they reasonably would and could procure in a 24 hour period, as that seems like how prep is almost always functionally argued nowadays. It just seems like the wording could be changed to reflect how it's treated.

19. Lenea_Sandstrider

Lenea_Sandstrider Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    ...14 ties? Now I'm trying to remember how I pulled that off :V

(also, still relatively high despite not being in the last one and- realistically -only being in a relative handful of Drafts period. I need to get back into the swing of Jedi Drafts and arguing, since I tend to win better when I do that.)

KenKenobi and BookExogorth like this.
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I mean, I'm open to whatever popular opinion is on Prep Time, but I was trying to remove ambiguity, without neutering it. So, I thought a hard rule on how many things you can bring made sense, as opposed to the more open-ended "anything you can carry" kind of rule. We've had judges treating it differently because it's either been a) too neutered, so it gets willfully ignored or b) too ambiguous.

KenKenobi and BookExogorth like this.
  21. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    I'm definitely cool with how you codified it for clarity. It's just so up in the air sometimes, you know?

22. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    It all sounds very good. I’m not sure if I’ll take part in the main starfighter draft (I’m better at Jedi and muggles) so I’ll try sign up for this one if there’s room. And the undraftables one I’m definitely on board for.

23. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    I like the idea of “Grab whatever you can carry” in prep for a few reasons…

1) First and foremost, more opportunity for args. The lifeblood of any of these games is what a crazy **** GM can pull outta Ken Griffey Jr's least natural outfield position nowhere.

2) It can really boost some characters more than others, affecting the drafting process and making ripe for upsets. For example, Jaden Korr is generally a better prep than Aayla given he has a demonstrable ability to go into battle with a bazillion things (whereas she would be more reasonably limited to, like, a handful of things). Not sure it’d move the needle with a 2-item max for both. And prep with fewer restrictions is how we get the fun of Mara potentially beating Palpatine.

3) 100% agree with the inconsistency of it, sometimes judged/argued like “Oh yeah she’s prepped she just must be better.” I’d find that application at least more palatable with a less restrictive prep, vs. swallowing the L against a lesser opponent who just got some datapads and an extra blaster or two.

And on that exceedingly nerdy note lol, I'm down to judge.

Judges

1. Inty - Commish
    2. KenKenobi

GMs

1. Jordan1

@RX_Sith @Point Given @DarkEagle @heels1785 to finally win one? @Wang Chi to judge?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Gonna judge, I don't have too much time for args at the moment.

Judges

1. Inty - Commish
    2. KenKenobi
    3. PG

GMs

1. Jordan1

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    DarthIntegral likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Personally, I think the "whatever you can carry" group is just trying to make Dex a stronger pick.

@Bardan_Jusik - we good to make a thread for this one?