main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC SWC Jedi Draft/Starfighter Draft plans! This Is Happening!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by heels1785 , Feb 12, 2014.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Guys, I have to move offices today - since we are still discussing things, we'll shoot for a weekend or Monday morning start.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Re: team battles...winners vs. winners is an idea that's been thrown around before, but it kind of discourages building toward coordinated or thematic teams (which is cooler than everyone just taking Best Player Available off the board each pick). Plus it massively decreases the likelihood that a well-built team can take down a top-heavy squad-- Luke, for instance, is never losing individually and will have even more of an impact in a 5-on-5.

Also Anakin Solo should not be in a Pick 2 C'MON WHAT ARE YOU THINKING YOU VAGRANTS

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    why not only losers fight in team battles?

Mikaboshi likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting, trim. I could go for that.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  5. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    interestingly, that would put the top heavy team at something of a disadvantage moving into team fights, and also removes the problem of people like luke since they're almost guaranteed a win anyway. it would also mean that putting together an actual team matters a bit more, i think, since it means that the weakest members of your team could be what ultimately wins it for you.

6. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I wouldn't complain. My team last draft was crazy on cohesion, but never won a team match because it got stuck with teams that had heavier hitters.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Wouldn't that just encourage bad trumps?

8. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    what do you mean by bad trumps exactly?

9. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Sora Bulq and Depa Billiba :p

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think we're getting to a point where the discussion is going to get confusing and we could keep going and going, so let's draw a line in the sand.

Let's add the "Pick 2" and Natural Trumps for this draft, and keep everything else the same. Next draft, we'll be changing a whole heck of a lot anyways, so we can look at implementing the other things. All in favor?

11. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Yeahhhh this is gonna be the last one before Ep VII changes everything.

GOOD BYE JACEN (pre-going-crazy) I WILL MISS YOU

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    so, post ep VII no more legends content i'm guessing?

and yea, i can live with that.

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Let's do this :D

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Draft thread being put together right now!

15. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Locked for the duration of the SWC's 23rd Jedi draft. Check it out!

16. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Going to unlock and bump this to see if anyone is interested in reviving this game. Either with a vision to port it over to the EUC where it could continue on as before, or with the intent to leave it here and bring in the new canon.

DarkEagle likes this.
  17. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    There's interest. ;)

I say we just introduce the new canon characters into the game. I mean, in terms of Force users it's only Kylo Ren and Rey. Lords of the Sith just reinforces how awesome Vader and Sidious are. If I'm missing something else please add to whoever is also interested. In terms of Luke, well there would have to be a vote.

18. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Yeah, I think just adding the new stuff would be fine, at least for now. There might be one or two characters you'd want to clarify Legends vs New on (Depa?) but otherwise it all seems like it should fit fine.

Darth_Furio and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  19. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
  20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, a couple of points to address

1) I think the SWC should be the home of this draft. Even as it got more EU-centric before, it remained here. There's some heritage/legacy pieces. Plus, the EUC has always been home to the Starfighter Draft, SWC to the Jedi Draft. It's allowed to very similar games to have two very different feels, and I'd hate to lose that.

2) I think we'll struggle to incorporate new (post-Disney) canon characters, such as Rey and Ren. They absolutely should be included. But, I don't think they'll be given much value is all.

3) On the "Legends" vs "Canon" debate. As we don't have many characters who conflict (Luke, Leia ... that's about it, right?) ... I think Legends should be the go-to for characters. If I'm wrong (I haven't read any post-Disney books), we could label those characters and the GM could specify if they want the Legends version or the Canon version. I mean, I suppose the same could be done for Luke/Leia, but if you're opting into Luke who post ROTJ has hermiting vs. Luke who post ROTJ has Force Farts that can destroy planets ... well ... I'm not sure what to say to you.

4) Points 2 and 3 will evolve in future drafts, obviously, but at this point, I see them as non-to-minimal issues.

21. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    I'd be happy to judge or run the draft with some help. Come on people I'd like this to happen again. It was fun.

22. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Couple of discussion thoughts:
    • What did people think of the "pick 2" mechanic from last draft? Was it fun? Interesting? Balanced? My $0.02 (I didn't play that draft) is to combine the tandem picks and the pick 2 into one pick 2 list just to offer players more flexibility (I don't think it would cause much power changes).
    • Legends v New EU. I like the idea of allowing players to pick which version for the few characters this is relevant for: Luke, Leia (not that the NEU version is any good for them), and I'd say Depa and Barriss (as we now have a method by which to deal with her contradictions). Thoughts? Did I miss anyone?
    • Preliminary thoughts on list additions:
    Kylo Ren
    Rey
    Kanan Jarrus
    Ezra Bridger
    Grand Inquisitor (Rebels)
    5th Brother
    7th Sister
    Lana Beniko
    Senya Tirall
    Arcann
    Vaylin
    Darth Marr

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  23. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hello guys, Millennium Falcon 888 here and while I didn't take part in the last editions of this interesting game (having only joined you in January this year) but let me throw in my opinions with regards to the third point that DarkEagle posted... ^:)^

I will go for Kylo Ren and Rey, when it comes to list additions... I have a feeling that this new hero-villain duo share some similarities in terms of backstory - if comments by some of you in the threads in "The Force Awakens" sub-forums are taken into play... And let's also not forget that since many of us outside of the USA are not too familiar with the SW Extended Universe side of things, we don't have that kind of familiarity to the other characters mentioned by DarkEagle unlike Kylo and Rey (especially the former, who has been so heavily marketed by Hasbro, Disney, etc. in their merchandise that he is now becoming a new iconic villain)! =D=

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Guys, I absolutely will help with this. I thank Ken Kenobi for wrapping the last one.

25. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Awesome heels1785 I was hoping you'd show.