main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games SWC Senate: Restoring Peace, Prosperity and Equality to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Inquisitors? You mean those who were employed by the Empire to hunt down Jedi? No. That has the potential to go sideways on us. The resistance would never allow an Inquisitor close. Don't forget that the Generals brother is a Jedi. And the first order could potentially manipulate them to their side. Is there not a better way to obtain information?

Snokers and Bazinga'd like this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree with Senator from Naboo on that point. I will also make abundantly clear that there will be no "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques" used to ascertain any information. I would use our internal intelligence system to attempt to derive the extent of the "First Order" threat.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  3. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Just because a method has gone sideways in the past does not mean it cannot be employed again with some tweaks, Senator Silent. And General Organa's brother is not in the picture anymore, hasn't been for some time. He is not relevant as I see it.

Pretendalorian likes this.
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    OOC: Are we including the First Order? If we do, I assume they are an unknown organisation and not a State yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  5. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't agree with it. There is always a better way Senator Snokers.

6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    There was a time in this Senate, where a former Chancellor tortured a prisoner in front of this august body. What happened on that day shall never be spoken of again. Neither I or civilized society has a taste for that type of intelligence gathering technique any more. So, the answer is no.

7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

OOC: That was my understanding. They are a currently a unknown threat at this time.

Sinrebirth and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  8. Snokers

Jul 8, 2015
    I respect your position on this matter, Senator. However, let us not forget that the Empire managed to seize control for a long time, possibly in-part because of fear of the use of... more aggressive tactics.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *clears throat to her attention*

Fellow delegates. The 'First Order' is a rumour. Imperial survivors from the Battle of Jakku? Preposterous. Why would any Imperial sit out the efforts of the warlords in the Deep Core and Outer Rim? What tactical advantage would there be to hiding for 25 years? It's ridiculous to suggest that the Empire Proper, the remnants of which have abided by the Galactic Concordance without incident for fifteen years, are a threat. Even then, a handful of border skirmishes in the immediate decade after Jakku do not strike me as sufficient reason for us to scapegoat the old Empire.

The Resistance is a very real threat to the New Republic.

I request, nay demand, I be on the committee. A Populist should also. I do not believe Independents who are not necessarily loyal to anyone bar their own system should dictate so much to the New Republic.

10. Snokers

Jul 8, 2015
    I concur with Senator Sinrebirth's latter statement.

*sits*

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. Knight of Wren

Knight of Wren Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 13, 2016
    OOC: Sinrebirth I believe that the First Order was indeed known at the time in which our thread takes place, though it wasn't seriously considered as a threat by most, which is basically how we've been handling it here so far. Below is a Wookipedia excerpt:

"For the three decades after Endor, the First Order would largely escape galactic attention, with many in the New Republic Senate believing that it posed no real threat to the galaxy at large. Echoing these sentiments, Chancellor Lanever Villecham argued there was no need for concern as long as the First Order adhered to the dictates of the Galactic Concordance. Despite this, the Order blatantly defied the accords by ushering in the mass mobilization of superior stormtrooper forces, along with violating Republic bans on the sale of weaponry to the First Order and its rules governing capital ships. Testing the resolve of the New Republic, small skirmishes would occasionally erupt between the First Order and Republic, all while the Starkiller operation would seek a suitable planet for implementation."

Snokers likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    OOC: Yes, but the First Order was a rumour in known space and then a state in the Rim. We do not know exactly when it became a state. Between 28 ABY and 34 ABY, is all we know. The game is set in 30 ABY. So it may need downplaying for now.

13. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    OOC: I agree with downplaying the First Order for now. Then as the game continues we as a Senate can learn more and more about them as time goes on.

14. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    And the Empire was also hated because of those tactics. It didn't do them any good in the long run.

OOC: Sounds fair. I assume that will be the same for the Resistance. We learn more about them as time goes on?

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  15. Knight of Wren

Apr 13, 2016
    OOC: Agreed, though I think perhaps a few members "overestimating" the mysterious First Order as a threat wouldn't be out of order (no pun intended :p). I'm sure there's plenty of other renegade factions we can also discuss.

16. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    OOC: What about Onderon?

17. Snokers

Jul 8, 2015
    *hears Senator Silent's statement but remains seated, muttering under his breath in Durese while stroking his chin "rana!"*

18. KnightOfRen

KnightOfRen Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    If there is a First Order, we need to wipe them out before they become too powerful. The Empire has left a mark on the galaxy that cannot be wiped off. There are systems that will never recover from the atrocities performed by the Empire. It is our duty to beat back whatever force threatens to bring back such tyranny.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    OOC: I think part of the game should be to discover and play out the determining the involvement of the resistance and First Order

TheSilentInfluence and Snokers like this.
  20. Knight of Wren

Apr 13, 2016
    Senator KnightOfRen while I do agree that any remnants of the old Empire should not be cast off as irrelevant or taken lightly, I must dutifully point out the fact that the signing of the Galactic Concordance following the Battle of Jakku greatly reduced such remnants as a threat.

21. KnightOfRen

KnightOfRen Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Fair enough. Give them time, though. Time to lick their wounds. They will strike back, and we must be prepared. I say we march onto their turf and wipe them out immediately!

Snokers and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  22. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I believe we should be ever wary. To underestimate any remnants could be dangerous. That said we must be equally wary of any war mongering elements. We must not rush to conclusion Senators. Let us keep an eye out for such dangers, without looking to be overly drastic about it.

And with that perhaps we ought to move onto something of more immediate purpose. Such as taxation and budgeting that affect all our systems in the present.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  23. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Perhaps we could even put forth an education plan? There are many planets that fall under our jurisdiction that we could help with it.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Senator Ren. I will not condone a course of war, until we have concrete evidence as to the nature and severity of the threat that is posed by the so-called "resistance" "First Order" or some other organization.

Therefore, I agree to the request that a committee be formed to investigate the true nature of the threat facing us. I hereby appoint Senators Bardan_Jusik, as chairperson of this committee. You may select two other Senators of your choosing to join you in your investigation. I expect to receive your report on the matter in the most expeditious manner.

I will also be appointing a committee to discuss the allocation of resource to military activities shortly.

Bardan_Jusik and KnightOfRen like this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed on both counts. Do you have specific legislation in mind?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.