main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWCCG vs. SWTCG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Nute Gunray13, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nute Gunray13

Nute Gunray13 Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2000
    Ok, I wanted to hopefully figure something out. I bought a TON of the SWCCG (never full sets though) and I tried to play it a few times (less than 20 times I think) but I did manage to build 20 decks. Sounds stupid huh? Well, I never found a place to play regularly and none of my CCG buddies played it much at all. I also had a hard time with the rules. My view of the game went like this. The CCG was set-up so you could feel like you were in the SW universe doing things (Kessel Run, blow up the Death Star, destroy the Rebel Hoth base, etc.) but it didn't sit with me well because what if I played my Attack Run deck and my opponent was playing a Target the Main Generators deck? Do you see where I got lost? I made Theme decks. While I have met a new buddy who says my theme decks should play well against each other, They wouldn't hold a candle to a good deck. I never understood how to translate my basic understanding of the rules into a SWCCG deck that didn't have a theme from the movies. I even was taught how to play from Kendrick Summers himself!
    This is why I had a bad taste in my mouth for the mechanic of the SWCCG.

Along comes the SWTCG. This "game" i understand and can play. But, I don't feel like I'm in the movie. I haven't actually played the TCG yet but I totally understand the mechanic even from reading the articles! I plan on buying TONS of these cards too, but I think gameplay will be better of the "game" and not the medium.

I guess it all boils down to...
    I collected the SWCCG and can play my decks when I want to...
    I will play and build on my decks from the TCG.

So, anyone want to help me understand how to "play" the CCG? (so I don't try to use "themes") I didn't understand how to build a space deck and when you faced a ground deck what happens? force drain city?

Thanks for listening.

Drew

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Usually what I do is come up with an idea for a deck (such as lightside space drains, suicide droid bombers, jawas & creatures, etc) or select an objective or deck type (Lightsaber combat, EBO, Walker garrison, etc) and then figure out what basics i will need (ie: what effects can i start out with to make the deck work best?, what characters or vehicles will get the best bonuses or give the best bonuses to this deck type? how can i make other characters give bonuses to this deck?), from there, I typically then search through my cards to see what might work best to fill in the rest (I prefer to use http://www.jandatonline.com/work/swccg/swccg_search.html since it makes it easier to search for key phrases or words that affect my deck type). From there I'll usually then take a look at other decks of a similar type that have been posted online either at decipher's site, here or at decktech.net to get ideas for any revisions i might want to make. Sometimes, if one is stuck for what basics to use, I'll jump to this step to get a jumpstart on some ideas first. After that I usually post the deck to here and/or decipher's site to get comments, suggestions and feedback that might point out any particular weakenesses.

From there the final step is playtesting and see what works and what doesn't work against some other deck types.

Alot of times it comes down to figuring out what is needed and what isn't. Sure, you might be playing an Echo Base Operations deck, but you really don't need Hoth troopers or snowspeeders to make the deck work (although there are ways you could include those if you just feel like it).

Hope that helps...I agree that understanding the nature of deck designing for this game is a difficult concept to grasp at first, but you usually get the hang of things after you make 2 or 3 solid decks and begin to understand how to judge the benefits and worth of a card in your deck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.