main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion SWTV Diversity Thread (Minor Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe. Nothing we can do about it now. Disney probably ran it by several focus groups. This show and Mando they really want to succeed. And it will.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Chirrut Îmwe
    Bodhi Rook
    Baze Malbus

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Wait, people are complaining about Bad Batch whitewashing? How? I haven’t once thought that any of the clones, including Omega, look anything other than Maori. I’d know cause I live in Auckland. I see Maoris every day lol.

They’ve done a marvellous job, both in looks and voice.

Grey Matter and DarthFixxxer like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea I knew I was missing some. My point still stands that until relatively recently it was basically just white people. It’s starting to even out

5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    People invent all kinds of things to complain.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's a legitimate concern. It's not always the easiest to convey appropriate races in animation, but there are some easy ways for the designers to at least try to be accurate. The Jango clones have always been iffy, that's nothing new, especially since Morrison himself can appear lighter-skinned in certain lighting conditions. But somewhere along the line they did miss the memo that Kanan is pretty definitively darker-skinned than the average human in Rebels, and this was reflected in his comic mini as well. Whether its deliberate whitewashing or merely an oversight on the animator's side we can't really know, though I tend to think it's the latter.

7. Commander DuctTape

Commander DuctTape Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 4, 2021
    Frankly, I am utterly amazed and shocked that this whole debacle is a legitimate concern that a portion of the viewers have. The main cast is a group of clones for crying out loud, of course they're gonna look the same! Not to mention that the entire first episode takes place either during night time where we can't really see their faces, or in the Kamino halls where everything is brightly lit up by white lights...

I do not mind more inclusivity in Star Wars (though one wonders why having a few million different alien species is not enough..), but complaining about the skin colors of clone troopers is mind-boggling.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It matters when the real person they're based on qualifies as a person-of-color. Every bit of representation matters, and it's a big deal whenever the protagonists of a show are POC when they don't have to be. Now we don't know for certain if Omega is a clone of Jango, so jury's out on her at the moment, but Hunter and the rest of the Batch are, which makes it glaring when they don't line up with Morrison as well as they could. Again though, I don't think it's a conscious thing- look at Fennec Shand and how closely she actually resembles Ming-Na.

As to this
    that's not a concern anyone has. The concern is them not exactly resembling their source, and if it's true for one it's true for all of them (save Echo).

Mia Mesharad, Gamiel and starfish like this.
  9. Commander DuctTape

Commander DuctTape Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 4, 2021
    Alright, fair enough, but I still question this criticism. Hunter and co. don't look exactly like Jango because they're defective, and we've seen with the likes of 99 that defective clones look different. Heck, 99 had pinkish skin if I remember right. And Echo looks different because he was hooked up to tubes and machines for the past few years in a capsule, with no food or sunlight.

As for Omega; don't quote me on this, but didn't the young clones had a similar skin tone to hers? Could be age-related.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe? She does look more pale. Although it’s hard to tell.

My point is I do think it’s important that the clones look like Morrison. As I said for a long time the clones and Jango were the biggest characters and most well known to be played by a Maori.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    VexedAtVohai likes this.
  11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    whitewashing is an important issue that deserves attention, it’s an issue that occurs all to often in animation, so yeah it’s a valid concern that I’m glad is being given attention, it’s not just people inventing things to complain about.

and it’s not just the clones, young Kanan is also quite pale

like Todd said, representation matters, so it’s important to get these things correct

12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    What verdict? Even on the banner on this very page, Omega's skin is clearly not very white, it has a darker tone.
    Also, there are light skinned Maori. There shouldn't be a verdict, because there shouldn't be an issue.
    And she totally looks 100% like she could be Jango's daughter btw.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    [​IMG]

I don’t know that skin color looks white. Compare it to Anakin who we know is 100% white and looks white even in TCW.

14. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Fixer we're talking about a specific guy. Does this look light-skinned to you?
    [​IMG]

As for that banner, that image of Omega was darkened to fit the tone of the other two images. I know, since I'm the one who made it.

15. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    It's a fair criticism. If Lucasfilm choose to act on it is up to them, but to get angry that anyone dare criticise an animated show produced by a multi-billion dollar company is ridiculous. Representation is an important issue to many people, and it's not really fair to dismiss it as a trivial concern.

It's something for Lucasfilm to be aware of and work on, not an indictment on The Bad Batch as a whole.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t blame anyone on the team and I doubt they did it intentionally, but it’s something for them to consider. That’s really it.

17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    No, but neither does Omega.
    Even so, I have seen many stills and photos of Omega, and I watched the 2 episodes myself. It is 100% believable that she could share genetic material with Jango. Nothing strikes out as weird, that's a stretch.
    No one got angry, well at least not I, can't say the same about you after you insist.
    I am totally fine with criticism btw. I just don't like negativity and unwarranted criticism, where there should be none.
    In my opinion, this should not have been an issue to begin with. We can agree to disagree.
    Why do 2 of you keep insisting that representation is an important issue? Who said that it isn't?

18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    It's the inference in your posts. "Why is this an issue?" "People are being critical for no reason at all". Maybe take a moment to consider not everyone sees the show and characters the same way you do, and their unique perspectives give them insight that you might not have yourself. It'd be one thing if were a tiny amount of people raising these concerns, but I've seem people all over raise the same issues, either independently or in response to social media discussions, such as the CBR article.

When it comes to minimizing the roles of POCs, it inherently becomes a discussion of representation, and when people try to brush these issues off it comes across as ignorant at the least and insensitive at the worst. There's really nothing wrong with holding producers accountable for maintaining racial consistency, especially when it has been and continues to be a serious issue in many other corners of the entertainment industry.

Mia Mesharad and VexedAtVohai like this.
  19. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    Think about it this way. If she wasn't a Clone of Fett, how else would Tech have known she was a Clone?

20. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    That picture of Morrison looks light-skinned to me, but skin tone is relative. I am half Black, have a similar skin tone to him, and am considered by many Black people to be light(er)-skinned. Different communities will judge these things differently, I suppose. Standing next to my dad I would be considered darker-skinned, but on the spectrum of human skin colors, I am probably closer to the "middle" (light but not pale/tan/brown-ish). The conversations gets even more nuanced when you bring in the concept of undertones.

They [Disney] may have a slight out as it pertains to Omega's skin color--- as though she could have easily been depicted with a darker skin tone, her skin could possibly darken a bit now that she does not live under a cloudy sky 24/7.

All that said, any criticism of this product is fair game as far as I am concerned; especially in a thread which was created to house those critiques. Disney will be just fine.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    As I said it’s something they are already looking into. It’s sometimes hard to animate race. Sure it doesn’t matter for the characters since it’s not like the race of the clones has ever came up story wise. But I think it’s important it stays consistent. Depiction is important

22. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Maybe we should use color picking just to see if it's whitewashing or not.

23. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I've said this before and I'll say it again:

We need more indigenous actors in the series. We already have two Maori live actors in the entire Saga and that's about it (namely Temura Morrison and the person who played the young Boba Fett in AOTC). Why not bring in Wes Studi? And Adam Beach is supposed to be pretty good.

24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Why?

25. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm here. Appreciate your lovely remarks as always. So far, there is no LFL show lead by an Asian actor. It takes a fraction lf a second to think who is the lead of TBOBB.

We can also discuss the amount of Asian actors in the ST if you want, or in High Republic.

We can also discuss how many roles in Hollywood that traditionally have been played by white actors or actresses are exclusively changed to black actors. Superman, little mermaid...

It took me a fraction of a second to think abour these examples.