main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion SWTV Diversity Thread (Minor Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    At the end of the day, they’re the ones missing out on awesome films, shows and games so they can have a little cry baby tantrum in the corner. I’m happy to keep enjoying them with people normal people :)

KyleKartan likes this.
  2. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I really think that deep down these people are not happy. How can you be a happy human beeing if all you do 24/7 is hate and rant about stuff? It must be a sad empty life if you have nothing to do but fill your day with bitching about a TV show on social media.

cwustudent, 2Cleva and Jordan1Kenobi like this.
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There’s more than one bigoted coworker. I’d say there are 5 in my immediate area (many more site wide).

I tend to think of racism as being a relic of Baby Boomers who picked it up from the “Greatest Generation.” But one of my coworkers in his 20s challenges that world view.

He’s a big Star Wars geek, but his fandom really only extends to Episodes 1-6, the old EU and The Mandalorian (because he’s convinced there’s an internal civil war at LucasFilm between Kathleen Jennedy and Favreau/Filoni).

Everything else in the Disney era is tainted by Kathleen Kennedy’s liberal, feminist narrative, in which all men are toxic or incompetent.

When I challenge him on Moses Ingram’s screen time, he pretty much goes “oh, that’s not what I heard” and ends the conversation.

Yes, he is very much a Twitter rant in the flesh.

I’m sure this racism was always there, but in the last 4-8 years I’ve definitely seen more people shamelessly being more vocal and politicized about it.

My sister-in-law (late 30’s, white) when I first met my wife, I would say was fairly agnostic and indifferent to politics, and her and her family would go to Disney world about once per year. And within the last 4 years I’ve seen a drastic change. She converted to the Catholic faith. Got really preachy about how evolution is a lie, became very opinionated about homosexuality being a sin, got vocal about how she hated Harry Styles (who my step-daughter liked at the time) because he was on a magazine cover in a dress, she’d say “white lives matter” in the presence of her biracial niece, and stopped supporting Disney for enforcing masks in their parks and blamed them for fanning the flames of race and lgbt issues.

I see it in my wife’s family (and it’s driven a wedge between them and my wife). I see it in my own family. And I see it at work. I have a Democratic governor and I see “my governor’s an idiot” signs in peoples’ yards. Political are trolling with their own yard signs.

If not for the internet, I would probably be under the impression that this kind of ignorance and hatred is the norm.

So when it comes to negative reviews of Star Wars, I can definitely see people treating the presence of a black woman in a prominent role as a political issue in their minds when it absolutely isn’t. And if there are people boycotting Disney for advocating human rights, or going out their way to spend money on a sign to troll their governor, I can easily see those kinds of people being motivated enough to mobilize and review bomb things that they somehow see as an attack on their world view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    La Calavera, EHT, Bor Mullet and 4 others like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s completely possible that the reviews are natural. Not some brigade or bots. But I also don’t think it’s a majority of people. Most people aren’t racist but they won’t fight against racism either.

And before someone comes in here and says it. I am not saying all people who don’t like the show are racist or sexist.

However seeing the numbers that the show is polling I do think it’s not a majority. Not even close. People usually don’t continue to watch something if they hate it.

If that was the case Morbius would have actually made a trillion dollars.

5. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    You can tell him, that the two things dont fit! On the side two males doing Mando against the will of KK, on the other side KK is doin her thing with SW. Stupid...KK hired Favreau in the first place. He praised her all over at the Celebration. But sure, everybody needs an enemy in their word.

So...he doesnt say its bad to attack MI? He just says its not what he heard and is done with it?! How can he even allow himself to have an opinion if he hasnt seen the attacks and the show? None of the 3 shows has MI as main character. Its Ewan who has the most screentime by far, followed not by MI but by Viven!

How...I mean...I dont get it?! Every point you're mentioning is just...Iam in shock. Evolution is a lie?! She cant be serious. Homosexuality is in every socity and animals are homosexual too. This is, sorry mate, stupid!

I dont mean to be mean but...how good is she educated? I mean fairly educated people would never think that, not to mention say something as stupid as this.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    People will have an opinion on anything

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I definitely don’t think the racist misogynistic reviewers are bots. I do think they are people whose opinions Disney should not pay one iota of attention to.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Sorry that was badly worded by me. I just think that writers face multiple issues nowadays. When they write character who has certain gender and race they need to consider how they represent that character. And someone will complain either way no matter what. There is so much pressure from social media and such. That I meant.

I also think what matters in the end are believability, likability, complexity and relatability. There should also be characters of different race and gender in most stories for simple believability and complexity of that world. Depends on what scenario is though. I don't like it when they shoehorn extra characters for ethnic representation only for some historical things unless it's somehow believable and characters are not there just to represent "difference" and are given real backstories as well. They should instead write more stories from point of view of those minorities. There are tons of interesting things in history that no one makes movies or tv-series about.

In Star Wars ethnic diversity is natural though. There should be more alien characters than there currently is. Human diversity is pretty good now. But some characters are not fleshed out that well.

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    They definitely should write stories from the POV of those in marginalized groups. As far as considering how they present the character—they should definitely avoid presenting them in a way that plays into antiquated and generally bad and bigoted stereotypes. Otherwise they don’t need any more consideration than any other character, and the writers definitely don’t need to consider whether bigots will be mad about, say, a woman appearing too tough or wearing too many clothes, or a Black man in a role that the bigots think a white man should have.

2Cleva likes this.
  10. Konja7

Konja7 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 10, 2017
    I though the complaints of bigots were for women wearing too little clothes. I guess bigots could complaints about very contradictory things.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Most of the complaints I’ve heard were about them wearing pilot outfits instead of bikinis or form fitting cat suits with bare midriffs.

12. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Ah yes, it would be way more realistic if everyone was piloting in their underwear.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The thing is there is nothing political about Kenobi at all. Unless you consider being black to be political.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    How well is she educated?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  15. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Sorry, as a german I maybe didnt use the correct form of good in that context. My bad.

cwustudent and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It's all well and good!

17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Funny how many outrage videos there are trying to prove the fandom is not toxic. If I remember correctly the whole thing was addressed to the ones who did actually send those messages, Ewan even thanked the fans for making it the most watched series, so if you have not sent anything and don't consider yourself racist, why the need for making all those videos?

Yanksfan, cwustudent, 2Cleva and 6 others like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah. If Ewan’s message and the message on official Star Wars social media is not about you, then it is not about you.

If it seems personal and you think you “cAnT cRiTiCiZe sTaR wArS wItHoUt bEiNg vIeWeD aS rAcIsT’ then maybe it is about you.

19. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
  20. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Someone ought to tell her that the Pope is totally okay with Evolution Theory as so most Catholics outside of America.

21. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I guess this is going to become the regular now with a lot of films and shows. May as well get rid of reviews at this rate, or make it harder to do.

The MCU is going to have so many more female leads from now, (Jane, Kate, America, Kamala, Jennifer, Shuri, Riri, etc.) all from different cultures and sexualities. Which is really, really awesome. BUT they’re all going to get review bombed.

They’re gonna have to think of something to counter it.

KyleKartan likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Reviews of subjectively received art have meant very little for a long time. In this era, they possess even less value.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was going to say—they should just ignore it and keep making inclusive content.

24. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    This. I take pride in myself when I think about how I used to dismiss people's arguments based on IMDB numbers even 15 years ago or more.

2Cleva and Jordan1Kenobi like this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Catholics for a good long while have been pretty up to date on science. At least the church has as an overarching organization.