main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion SWTV Diversity Thread (Minor Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 2, 2014.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    some of you are being very dumb here on this last page

at the least you’re making ignorant comments about people who are not straight like you are, at worst you’re outright mocking people who are not straight like you are

2Cleva likes this.
  2. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    That would be the work of Dr. Cornelius Evazan, I believe. He perfected a surgery that allowed subjects to survive without a head, just for kicks (and profit, since he ended up turning it into a line of lobotomized cyborg servants commissioned by Crimson Dawn.)

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes that was at least how it was explained in Rogue One visual dictionary.

@starfish I don't think mocking anyone was anyone's intent. And it is just natural to be ignorant of things people don't have personal experience of. Droids are not real so do they count as couple at all is innocent joke IMO. In case of R2 and 3PO both happen to be droids with "male" personality so do they count as gay couple then is an innocent humorous question. It is not mocking anyone real IMO. We could as well ask if R2 had relationship with QT-KT or R4-P17 (droids with feminine programming) and it is just as absurd IMO and no one is laughing at straight people, but absurd idea of droids being sexual in the first place. So I don't think anyone there was mocking gay people with bad intent.

What comes to Tam Posla and Caysin Bog I was more surprised about headless person being capable of any relationship than them being gay. They sound like a cool couple though. Headlessness is the weird part to me :D

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well if it wasn't obvious before with Vel and Cinta it is after the latest episode.
    And neither one got fridged, so kudos there.

5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    no it’s not, it’s a choice to be ignorant

sometimes it’s due to lack of access to information or different societal upbringings

but at some point it is up to the individual to inform themselves

Lulu Mars and 2Cleva like this.
  6. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I don’t know if I just completely misread that scene and the dialogue after with Gorn, but was the imperial guy with the wife and kid trying to flirt with the other man?

“What do you make of him?”
    “Petigar? You won’t charm him, sir.”
    “well, not for a lack of trying!”

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    He wants to charm him (that is, befriend him) in order to advance in his career, but I doubt he meant anything sexual/romantic.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. He revealed his motive in nearly everything was to get himself stationed on any other planet than the one he and his family were currently abandoned to. It's the driving motive behind why he wants his son to dress up. Why he carries "smelly" pelts out to the locals. Everything is toward being promoted to a better station.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Well, he's not getting that promotion, but at least his family won't be stationed on that planet anymore.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. They're probably buried there but that's not the same as living there.

La Calavera likes this.
  11. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Pretty sure his wife and kid are still alive. They're just going back to their original home planet. Or they're homeless now

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, good. Where did you see them alive and well?

13. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Well, nobody shot them, and the rebels who weren't killed all left except for Cinta, who wasn't the one guarding them, so... I think it's reasonable to assume they're alive? It's not like the rebels blew up the entire place, and they didn't kill anyone they didn't have to

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    did you see them killed?

Riv_Shiel and rktho like this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I saw them left behind with a Partisan who was last seen walking away looking very confident and satisfied that she could walk as slow as she liked with no concern that anyone was left to send anyone after her. The same singular person on the team we were explicitly told the Empire killed her entire family.

I was hoping she didn't take it that far which is why I was upbeat at the prospect someone inferred that they may have seen the family in a trailer or spoiler.

16. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    The Partisans weren't involved. That's Saw's group.

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't really see anything in that episode which suggests that Cinta killed them. The scenes just don't really allow for it. This is how the scenes play out:
    - Cinta changes into Imperial gear, giving a quick glance to the hostages after shutting down the lights
    - the hostages are looking at the Eye with no signs of Cinta still being around
    - Cinta is already way down at the temple, indicating that she left some time ago

I don't see anything confident or satisfied in her look either, she looked rather stoic to me. She just walked down there that way, because other Imperials were in the area. The one thing she couldn't do was run to leave quickly, because that would draw attention to her. The Imperials outside had no working comms and no indication that something was going wrong. So she did what was obvious: act as if everything was normal and move as if she belonged there.

If anything, I'd say them showing the hostages for a moment is meant to make sure everyone understands that no harm was done to them. Otherwise, why bother?
    If they had wanted to hint at the possibility of Cinta killing the hostages, they either would have given a clear indication that she was ready to do so, or left it more ambiguous by either not showing the hostages again after she looked at them, or, have shown her to be still in the room while the hostages were looking at the Eye. Neither happened.

I mean, I could understand having the idea that maybe she could have done it, but there is really nothing that supports a definitive claim, nor anything that makes it rather likely.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    rktho and Riv_Shiel like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    His wife and kid aren’t dead. This show is dark but no way Disney would do that.

anyway. I do love their relationship. And they managed not to fridge them immediately. Actually they did the opposite as they were the only characters without plot armor to die from the hiest team.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  19. rktho

rktho Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 29, 2020
    Killing hostages is a bad strategy anyway. You need your hostages to believe they'll make it out alive if they comply. Otherwise they have no reason to cooperate. Start killing hostages after the fact, future hostages won't trust you. You only kill hostages in the middle of the operation, when you need to prove a point.

20. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Can't have bad word-of-mouth among the hostage community.

21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm also happy that Vel and Cinta are both still alive and well. It's about time we get some hope for a same-sex couple among supporting characters. I mean, it's not unheard of, but all too uncommon.

Then again, we're only halfway through the first season... But let's rejoice for the two lovers for the time being!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Jack Ryan.

23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    How do you know about this so well [face_thinking]

24. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Right.... so basically, when you say a lot of people you mean a few people, who are of course entitled to their opinion, and who are not any official source actually saying that, they are just expressing how they see a quite subjective topic.
    I agree with everything that you said other than the first sentence. I have always thought of Ahsoka as Native American myself, and thought it was pretty obvious too.

Regardless of any of that, race is a human construct. Ask any biologist who actually knows their science well enough, and they will tell you that. One more way to divide people, as if we don't have enough as it is. Alas, wanting to forbid someone to express the sentiment that they would like Ashley Eckstein to play the Ahsoka role, which she has literally already played, and she was the first one to play, is of very poor taste to me.

25. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    I have never once thought of the animated version of Ahsoka as being black in any way shape or form and have seen no evidence of her being presented as such. I'm black. I've always considered her a sassy little white girl.

Force Nexus and rktho like this.