main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion SWTV Diversity Thread (Minor Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You need a longer lived Edit button
    Were is your statistic from?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The part of the US where I live is a hell of a lot more diverse than that.

3. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    If Star Wars were to based character demographics off of real world demographics where do you think they'd draw the percentages from, the white vast majority parts of small town and rural America, or the big cities? Because I think they'd make way more money off of Chicago (45% white) than off of friggin' Boise.

4. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    Hi Gamiel All of those stats are based on memory as I've looked them up before. The race is based on 2010 census data, the sex on memory that women outnumber men, and the sexuality on several studies that range from 1% to 3.4%, mostly based on poll questions as to what people self identify. Interestingly, also discovered in the same polls, was that as one progressed in age groups, those polled self-identified less and less as homosexual. I think researchers are being cautious these days, but I would be willing to bet the actual true number is in the 1-2% range, especially if it's found to be hereditary.

Here's some links:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-no-idea-how-few-gay-people-there-are/257753/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/gay-population-us-estimate_n_846348.html

And then this article, which goes as high as 20%, which is strange because all of the other studies have been consistently between 1-5% tops, the last big study was the 1948 poll going up to 10% which is still used today.
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...on-is-gay-more-than-you-think-5012467/?no-ist

Anyways.. with those stats, seems like the SW universe is not too far off from reality. I'm curious to know now, how diverse is the fanbase?

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Reveen has a point though. City statistics or rural Midwest? And the self-identification regarding homosexuality would also be affected by where a person lives.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But from were, geographically, are those statistics from? Because it is not from were I live.
    Also what differ a hispanic from a white?

7. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    75+13+19 adds up to 107. And where are my people? The Asians?

8. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    The Star Wars characters should be about half of them. Because that's about the proportion of Star Wars box office made outside the US.

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    You probably don't want to know, the US Census tends to suck when it comes to race categories.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My father crossed all of them out and wrote "human." Or at least he said he was going to.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  12. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

That article is trash. The statistics may be accurate, and may well indicate a gradual change in the youth and their perception on racism, but the statement that "...racism is better described as White Power..." is such garbage.

deathraygun likes this.
  13. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Since Gamiel quoted it from me, I posted it as relevant to the interests of the Lit Diversity thread but I certainly don't agree with chunks of the article, and I think they're making some large assumptions about what the data means, as well as not apparently having any contrasting data to hold against it.

However, I do think there's a little bit of truth in the general idea that becoming too racially blind could potentially blind people to the historical societal racism that still exists. See also; every "post-racial" comment ever.

14. StrikerKOJ

Apr 21, 2014
    I can see the that side, but it seems to beg the question: If everyone becomes "racially blind"... isn't that the point? That is not to say we should ignore, forget, or believe the past didn't happen, but to say that an individual who holds no sense of "racial perception" and judges each other on their individual merits is misguided or confused, seems... misguided to me.

What is the end game? Does everyone need to remember ever racial conflict and hold that in the back of their head, and just be genial to each others faces, but deep down remember what that persons ancestors may have done? Kind of a stretch of an argument, and I'm just spit-balling, but I thought the whole point was for people to move passed that kind of stuff. At what point is the society at large allowed to move on? It's certainly not "now" as there obviously is a great deal of lingering emotion, but when is society allowed to make the shift from groups of people vs other groups of people to "People" vs. "those that can't get on board."?

I think articles like the one that was linked do more harm, in the sense they seem to want to pull those individuals who are (to the best of their intentions) open, understanding, and "color blind" back into the debate, instead of focusing on those who are still causing the problems. Telling some kid who doesn't even think of the idea of "racism" he is wrong or confused, and insisting that because others are still racist then the kid must be in the fight doesn't seem like the best approach. Those kids aren't the problem.

Just thinking out loud.

TKT and deathraygun like this.
  15. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    It's from the 2010 US Census data, and to why it doesn't add up or I didn't include Asians, it's because I recalled it from memory. My memory wasn't too far off, 72% white, 63% white when removing latinos that consider themselves "white". In my previous post, I said if it was world demo, we'd be seeing a heavy Chinese SW saga, since you're talking about diversity based on different races.

And more acutely, I live in Texas, one of the most diverse places in the US.

And homosexuality percentage is pretty close to the same in multiple studies. Sure, San Francisco has a higher demo, but in the rest of the world...

Either way, that's all somewhat off point. Let the story be told by the creator as intended by the creator. I don't feel that having a diverse cast/group/story, necessarily adds any value to the story being told. Nor do I think it necessarily detracts from the story. But to introduce characters, because 'hey we don't have enough female Jedi's, how will women ever buy into this show?!' is a farce. Have a top director write a great story with a diversified cast. Will it sell? Only if the story's good, and the characters are written well. What prevents a strong lead character from being "XYZ" vs. white male? Nothing, and it should be that way, and also nothing should prevent a white male playing a strong lead, if that's what the creator/author/director wants. And if that creator wants to make all his lead characters white males, who cares? Same holds true with any other example.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    StrikerKOJ your confusion is stemming from your failure to recognize the difference between systemic racism and personal racism. The article is dead-on in stating that young people think that ignoring race is the solution to racism, by which logic legislation like the Voting Rights Act would be considered racist.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  17. StrikerKOJ

Apr 21, 2014

Isn't a system created based on the collection of personal beliefs and values, though? You are right, that if everyone "ignored" race, then that kind of legislation would be considered "racist", however, if a society was ever at a point where everyone ignored race, would that kind of legislation exist? Would it be necessary?

Systemic racism isn't separate from personal racism in the slightest. The "system" didn't just magically appear and coincidentally it was "racist". The system evolved over time being molded by those who held the power with which to create said system, and "those" are all individual people with their own individual motivations and biases. As new individuals are folded into the "system", with their own beliefs and values, the system is changed or evolved to represent those beliefs and values. So as more and more individuals who are "color blind" are folded into the system, wouldn't the system then naturally become more "color blind"?

I ask again, what is the end game? What is the goal?

TKT likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Aha, I see, thanks for the explanation.
    Word of advise: never state facts or statistics from your memory, always have a source that you can link or refer to.

Also why are Spanish speaking people considered their own category? What differ them from other latin speaking people?

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So what cultures and non-humans do people want to see in Rebels and why?

20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Aren't there like no cultures we know of now because they got rid of the EU? We can answer only talking about the well-trodden film content.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also TCW, and they will probobly use things from the old EU. So what do you want to see?

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't think that is a relevant question to ask. The article above is about legitimate government responses to the legacy of racism in the United States and its real impact on people today and young people's dwindling ability to recognize what is and is not just public policy regarding racism, specifically the growing belief that completely ignoring skin color is always the best option even though landmark examples like the Voting Rights Act disprove the wisdom of that way of thinking. This is a reality-based proposition. What race relations might be like in a utopian society and how we might gradually evolve to achieve that state is kind of a non sequitur.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

25. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    I spent a rather large portion of my evening creating a diversity and representation thread which i was super proud with, only to pop a glance at the index and see this here. :_|

Oh well, in terms of LGBT representation and the T.V series i would hope to see a possible Sabine and Ketsu relationship which is subtle yet definitely recognizable like Kanan and Hera be on the cards for season 3. TCW and Rebels IMO have a good record in comparison to other SW material when it comes to diversity something which would be enhanced by the first major gay relationship.

From "Blood Sisters" we got the sense of them as comrades and it didn't rule out a possible romantic edge to that partnership so here's hoping.

Gamiel and Todd the Jedi like this.