main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion SWTV Diversity Thread (Minor Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 2, 2014.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    We have a Homosexuality and Rebels thread here.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/homosexuality-and-rebels.50022250/

Probably better suited for Ketsubine.

2. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
  3. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    Sabine is Asian :eek: Never knew that

4. Mr Bogan

Mr Bogan Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 28, 2016
    Asian as in, from Asia ... Earth? :p

daniel brown likes this.
  5. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    I still believe Bo-Katan is Sabine's mother. Why else would she be back for 3 episodes.

6. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Because Mandalorians are going to be featured in the second half of season three? Sabine needs to get Mandalorian support for the Rebellion. Fenn probably knows Bo, or at least suggests her as a possible ally to help overthrow the viceroy of Mandalore.

What's to say Sabine doesn't gather forces and try to become Mand'alor? I'd she has enough backing, if she can rally houses and clans to her cause, it could very well happen. And you don't have to be related to the royal family to become Mand'alor. That's a title that can go to anyone able to overthrow the previous leader of their government.

MandoArtist and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  7. Mr Bogan

Sep 28, 2016
  8. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    well she could just have one asian parent.

vncredleader likes this.
  9. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    But she looks a lot like Rook Kast from the Son of Dathomir comics. Who's also Asian.

10. Canyon D

Nov 17, 2015
    yeah like as of know I dont really have any concrete theories, I was just saying that her mom could be Bo Katan if her dad was asian

11. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Maybe. But Filoni already mentioned way back in a season one article that Sabine wasn't related to Satine or Bo.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Canyon D

Nov 17, 2015
    true but Filoni is so not trust worthy haha, I doubt its Bo though

vncredleader likes this.
  13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Okay, I don't get this. Asian??? There IS NOT any 'Asian' in the GFFA where people are blue or red or green or brown, scaled, feathered, warty and antennaed.

Off hand, I don't think Sabine looks like any particular other character in TCW, and even if they have decided now that she is not related to any other character we've seen, that does not mean they (the writers) won't change their minds later.

14. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    There's white, Asian and black people in the Star Wars Universe. Just because it's based in space doesn't mean it doesn't have those races of people.

15. Canyon D

Nov 17, 2015
    Yes there is, Finn and Lando and Mace are black, Luke and Han are white, Sabine and I think Commander Sato are both Asian, as well as Donnie Yens character in Rogue one. You cant say there are not different races

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Simple, SW-equivalent of Asian. Happy now Ardavenport? :p

At least she is not a Ming Po, a different variant of the SW-equivalent of Asian. ;)

17. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Finn and Lando and Sabine and Luke and Qui-Gon and Kanan and Obi-Wan are all the same species (as far as we know). In the GFFA with people with horns of every configuration, tails, eight limbs, or prehensile feet, the species part is most noticeable. And Twi'leks come in every shade; I have not heard any mention of different 'races' of them at all. Togruta come in multiple shades as well; I seriously doubt that the specific physical attributes are considered a 'race'. Clan, yes ..... then you're just talking about simple genetics where family members share similar hair colors, skin tones, ear shapes, whatever. Ethnicity, certainly ... especially when you're talking about culture and people from the same planet. But no 'race'.

Nope, no such animal as 'race' in the GFFA.

18. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    ardavenport

Yes, they are all human. I never said they weren't. But they have different skin colors. Luke and Han are white males. Finn and Mace are black. Sabine and Commander Sato are asian. Different people exist in the Star Wars universe. Humans with different colored skin. I wasn't talking about Twi'leks or Togruta's. I was talking about humans. More specifically, Sabine.

Okay race was the wrong word. My bad. I apologize. But just because it's space and Sci -Fi doesn't mean that people who are black, white etc don't exist as such.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, I don't think people in the GFFA categorize members of the same species differently based on minor physical differences like skin-tone or horn length or what-have-you. Is there a Space Asia? Probably not, but there are a significant amount of humans who, from our perspective, resemble real life Asians.

So yeah, people in the GFFA probably don't have a name for these different looking humans, but they do exist, and in the case of humans, they happen to match preexisting Earth categories, hence the out-of-universe appellations of Asian or black.

20. Mr Bogan

Sep 28, 2016
    Even by your definition of "Space-Asian", I'm not sure that Sabine is Asian. Just because her cheeks are positioned higher and her eyes arean't perfectly round, one could say she might be "Space-Eastern European".

In fact, now that I think of it, Sabine looks a lot like this former model from Slovenia. They're so alike they could be sisters

[​IMG]

;)

21. CloneofVader

CloneofVader Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    Nope... Not really...
    This maybe > [​IMG]

22. Canyon D

Nov 17, 2015
    Honestly I think you are overreacting to a simple description. As for animal called race, I have no idea where you pulled that from. On the another note, I'm pretty sure its canon that Sabine is asian....so.....yeah......

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Re-upped this thread for this latest discussion. Let's keep topics of race limited to here.

Now then, is just like to reiterate that there's not an actual "Space Asian". That's completely an out-of-universe term that we use simply to help ourselves differentiate otherwise similar humans in the GFFA.

Could one then argue that Sabine isn't Asian but Eastern European or that she resembles some other Earth group? Perhaps, and that's exactly why it's important to include characters in SW that do resemble different Earth peoples, since actual Earth people will then go "hey cool, they have people that look like me even in a galaxy far far away!" It's the same reason making the main hero of the sequel trilogy a woman for the first time is also wicked important and a great step toward opening up SW to a wider audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  24. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    No, you are quite wrong on that. There is no 'race' in the GFFA. I have never seen any reference to it in the films or TV, or from any of the directors/writers/producers. Unless they are referring to different species as 'races'. But in that case, Sabine, Kanan, Luke, Leia, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, Qui-Gon, Ezra, Palpatine, the Humans on Naboo and a lot of other Humans are all the same 'race'.

25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Read my post right above yours. You're right, there are no races among humans in the GFFA. But there are humans in the GFFA that strongly resemble real-life Earth races. So while we know Sabine is just an ordinary human, out-of-universe she is undoubtedly Asian.

That's all anyone in here is really saying. And I certainly hope you understand why we're saying that.