main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syfy wants a new space opera series to replace BSG and Farscape

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediOverlord, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Lahmien

Lord_Lahmien Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2008
    Heh, I know right. I could go for a little more Crichton/Aeryn Sun action but without D'Argo it might be a bit lacking. I have alway wanted to see a Star Trek series based outside the Federation, maybe aboard a Klingon Bird of Prey (with the lights turned up of course) or based on the Changlings domination of the Delta Quadrant before DS9.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    In other words, something along the lines of Starship Troopers, but without the satire? I like that idea.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Oh, you mean like the actual StarShip Troopers novel?

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    That's a possibility.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The post-Peacekeeper Wars comic series that Rockne's been supervising has Jothee joining the crew for a bit, though not in a D'Argo-fill-in role. Him and Chiana still have issues.

If you get a chance, watch the full intro to the Shattered Universe game- it's opening title sequence is a version of the TOS intro, with Takei narrating "...where nobody has gone before." (it's not up on youtube, otherwise I'd provide a link).

6. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Game looks kinda eh--just like every other piloting video game. If they're gonna do a Star Trek game, I'd like to see a MMORPG based on Star Fleet Battles. A real interactive system. Build crews with an Engineer to allocate energy and figure out Damage contol--actually have a system where the player can figure out "Ok, this conduit is broken, but if we send a team to rig a power line from this box to this one, we can get power back to where we need it", a Comms/Electronic Warfare officer to mess with enemy targeting, a navigation officer to pilot, a weapons officer to shoot stuff, and a captain to over-ride or decide priorities. You know, like in the actual show.
    And give the races their individual weapons back: Klingons & Kzinti get drones and disruptors, Romulans and Gorn get Plasma Torpedoes, Orions get whatever they want, and so forth.
    Missions could be done based on whatever system, have PVP and PVE events, promotion through success--start on a frigate, eventual promotion to deadnaught, play whichever race. Transfers from ship to ship mean you don't have to be stuck with players you don't get along with. People with villain/bad-boy phases can play klingons. Snobs can play Vulcans or Romulans. Idealists play Federation. Go from there. Would reuire some sort of skype interface. Probablly never actually seen it happen, but it would be neat.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I wasn't speaking to the game itself (which is Starfighter-esque in controls from what I've played), but it's intro is sort of "the SUlu show that never was". ;)

8. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I would personally like to see more live action comic book series. Most don't seem to last and few seem to get a decent budget anymore, but if there was ever source material that had the potential for decent serialized drama I would think comics would be ripe for the plucking.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    That's a good point. With all the success that comic book films have had over the past ten years, I'm surprised that nobody has tried to spin-off a live action Batman or X-men series and that's a shame. The industry take comic books alot more seriously than they did, say 25 years ago. A live action X-Men series would probably be very well recieved.

10. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    If it hadn't been for Heroes, I'd love to see Rising Stars on the small screen as it leads itself really well to a serialised story over a 3-5 season run.

Maybe a beefed-up Hunter-Killer? It has a decent mythology to it that could be expanded out to hold a series run well.

11. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Well they did try Mutant X, a variation on the X-Men concept but from what I saw it wasn't great. There was also a short lived Birds of Prey series (a spinoff from Batman) a while back but it just couldn't last. Additionally there were failed attempts at the Flash, Justice League and Aquaman that didn't really go anywhere, and Blade only lasted a single season.

But most of these suffer from poor budgets, production teams that don't understand the source material or don't care too and too often really bad writing.

In fact it seems that unless its Superman or an animated series, Comic Book properties on TV just can't seem to do well, and even those some argue were less than satisfying.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In Blade's defense, though- it was only cancelled because Spike couldn't afford it. It actually did pretty decently.

JMS was developing a Rising Stars series, and at one point in 2002 it was being fast-tracked, but it was postponed due to Heroes.

13. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I quite enjoyed Blade for all its limitations and was sad to see it go.

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Blade was almost good, but the writers fell into the trap of making it all about the woman who had been turned, and her entrance into Vampire society, and not enough about Blade killing them.

All of the shows suffer from bad writing. It's just worse when it's a comic adaptation because many of the writers seem to be out of touch, or they write it as a children's series instead of taking it seriously.
    If the series were handled the same was as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then something decent would emerge. However, any show would have to have at least the same budget and production values, if not even more/higher.
    Also, keeping that level of writing quality going for that long requires very talented writer(s) and a great deal of coordination and planning.

15. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I liked the idea of 1632 so much I just read the book.

I would love to see it as TV show, and don't think the production costs would have to be that high. As it progresses it might, but at first all you need is a small town and a bunch of people dressed up in old clothes.

16. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Lots of shows these days have proven that can be done and done well. I don't see why comic books are continually the exception and can't be the subject of good writing and long term planning of plot and character growth.

17. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Gotham Central tv show would be the ****. It would be Law and Order only with Batman.

18. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    This plus add David Simon to the team and you have a show that's an instant epic win.

My bad. :) I thought it was simply Robin Hood... in space. :p

19. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    What were you thinking? It was the "Dirty Dozen in Space". That's how Terry Nation sold it to BBC, anyway.

20. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    [image=http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x129/WVUChrisF/batmanlawandorder.gif]

I had to edit the picture to comply with the TOS. :(

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I think that 1632 would be a show that needs to be based in Europe so that you can shoot on location in Paris and at the Tower of London and so forth. That would make the show more realistic and would up the cost, somewhat, but I think that would be offset by the fact that, so far as I know no one has ever attempted an alt-hist TV series before and that aspect of the show would make 1632 unique.

22. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I think that's when the show finally found itself and the writers figured out the show's strengths and weaknesses. The guy playing Blade was the show's biggest weakness. He had no gravitas at all and just came across as a guy doing an ok Wesley Snipes impression.

However, the show's supporting cast- Blade's partner, the woman infiltrating the Vampire house, the house heads and their interactions, etc, were quite intriguing and awesome.

So once the writers figured out they should stop focusing on Blade as a character (with exception to one, likely obligatory, episode) and simply regulate him to a force of nature-type role to be brought out to kill the vampires on the side, around stories focusing on the more interesting characters, the show became all kinds of awesome.

If they had kept the show focused on Blade, the series would have ended up being as bad as the pilot.

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Gotta disagree with you. What you're describing would be "Vampire:The Masqurade" as a TV show. It was tried once already, and failed. (See Kindred:The Embraced). If the show is called "Blade", it should be about Blade tracking down vampires, killing them, and stopping whatever they are up to.
    As for the actor, he was OK, but not great. His style was more bull-in-the-china-shop. After the pilot, he stopped trying to be Wesley Snipes, and improved greatly.
    I did like the Moon Knight reference early in the series. "A colleague of mine, Marc Spector, is the foremost authority on lycathropy." or something like that.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, whatever it describes, it's when the show started getting good, IMO. I feel the show can still be about Blade without focusing on him. And with Nelson Lee being, by far, the stand-out of the show, I think that approach is fitting. That man needs a good starring vehicle.

I missed that Moon Knight reference. A shame Spike couldn't afford to continue the series- perhaps we might have gotten a spinoff with MK and formed a mini Marvel TV-verse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.