main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Syril Karn

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 5, 2022.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Such an interesting character. Will he remain an antagonist? Join the rebels? It could really go anywhere, but he's sure to cross paths with Cassian again.

One thing I loved in episode 5 was the small moment where he appreciates the tiny moment the sun shines on his bedroom. Clearly he feels super claustrophobic on Coruscant, and is itching to get out in the galaxy doing something, anything other than hunkering down with his mom. It's a nice sympathetic moment that also speaks to the type of person he is.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    About time this guy got his own thread. He's easily been the best of the characters on the Imperial side in this series.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think he will join the empire next at least. And seems to possibly develop some sort of obsession about Andor. And funny detail I noticed, he had some sort of figures in his room. Would be interesting to see what they represent. Like historical figures like mandalorians or something would be cool or even clone troopers maybe. Nice detail.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  4. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Yeah, they really looked like clones to me. Probably why he became a military type.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    They might also be stormtroopers though, but clones would make perfect sense. They are after all historical military figures in-universe. I think in official propaganda Empire heavily downplayed the role of the jedi in the clone wars, but clones and droids are probably sold as toys so children and hobbyists can re-enact battles of the clone war and celebrate the birth of an Empire.

Jyn Erso had some home-made toys in Rogue One portraying space ships like Venator and Providence-class dreadnought. But it would be great to see more how history is portrayed in-universe. We had some great details in rebels Empire day and all that, but that is extremely interesting. Are likes of Dooku, Gunray and Grievous remembered as controversial historical figures whose defeat and death is celebrated as victory of new order? Or is the enemy portrayed in more abstract form with elements of separatists, jedi and rebels weirdly fused in to one anti-imperial stereotype like evil alien-faced traitor for imperial heroes to defeat?

Are jedi seen as the real cause for the clone war or are they seen as insignificant after order 66. With Dooku being ex-jedi is he remembered as leader of jedi conspiracy or more as mere traitorous separatist leader?

So many interesting questions we haven't yet get answers for. Palpatine seems to portray himself as in his earlier form before his "injuries" in official propaganda.

I have the Pablo Hidalgo's propaganda art book, it is great. I would like to see more of that in Star Wars. Propaganda is big part of oppression, fascism and all totalitarianism. I love it how TCW Dooku with Tartakovsky style "edgy" appearance is also how he is portrayed in Republic propaganda in-universe.
    [​IMG]
    Does that mean The Clone Wars is actually Republic propaganda in-universe? Sure probably not, but that's funny how it almost breaks the fourth wall in that regard.

Imperial propaganda has a lot of common with soviet propaganda (which in turn is very similar to nazi propaganda which is ironic in many ways, but Hitler's artists copied soviets and just turned it around when needed). Would be interesting to see how Empire officially portrays things like jedi, separatists or rebels.

6. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    What's interesting about his concept, we think of Star Wars being a fantasy where young people can take off in a speeder or spaceship at any moment and have an adventure. Syril shows that in Star Wars, young characters can still be a prisoner of commitments, he might be the most interesting of any post-Disney character for this one reason.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You have all missed the point that the figures are there to further demonstrate Syril Karn's abysmal decision making. The figures are all out of their package, significantly decreasing their value.

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    He does not seem the type to have connections to the criminal underworld and he's not going to climb the Imperial ladder that quickly if he enlists. Can't see how he will be able to gather the resources that he needs to track down Andor for a confrontation later in the series.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think his uncle is gonna turn out to be a rather high ranking Imperial. There's a shot of Syril in one of the TV spots where he's in a white room similar to ISB headquarters and it looks like he's wearing the GFFA equivalent of a tie. It looked very job interview-y. I think he'll join ISB but instead of staying close to his uncle and the "old guard" or whatever he'll become involved in Dedra's investigation.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yep, this is my guess as well.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think you could also connect him to Dedra. She is looking for something that proves her right, that she can show to her superior as sign that something is going on. He crossed paths with Cassian, so he might be of help to find him. She clearly wants access to the events that transpired, and while he doesn't have the files anymore, he was there to witness it.

Even more so if the the heist succeeds and they could link Cassian to it.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Indeed. I also get the feeling that Dedra is going to interview him about what went down with Andor, and end up recruiting him for some reason (probably their shared experience of going after cases that their superiors brushed off and being super thorough in their investigations)

In fact, I believe there was an interview that said that Dedra and Syril had a great dynamic together.

13. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    A very subtle and underlying hint that he's a freedom fighter at heart.
    A figure's freedom from their packaging is symbolic of people's freedom from the clutches of Imperial control.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    Sarge and clone commander bossk like this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Also, he has decreased his own value.

rumblewagon and Siphonophore like this.
  15. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Syril Karn afford his own place,
    Syril Karn get himself a job,
    Syril Karn get himself a romantic partner. Maybe he can, but I was on a roll.

I Karn think of anymore.

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Will he eat his cereal?

Master_Rebado and Riv_Shiel like this.
  17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    For me Syril is the real hero of this series.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    How long before I can go to the grocery store and buy a box of Syril Cereal?

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Uncle Harlo scares me.

Master_Rebado and Siphonophore like this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    No Syril this episode.

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The actor reminds me a lot of a young Kyle MacLachlan.

22. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Who I’ve been saying for a long time now should play Thrawn.

Syril reminds me more of a young rob Lowe/Chris traeger from parks and rec

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  23. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    That would be surreal.

Pro Scoundrel and Sarge like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Surely you can't be serial.

Bor Mullet and Siphonophore like this.
  25. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Did you hear the one about the anguilliforme who became knighted?
    He became this:
    [​IMG]
    Yep.... the head of more than one studio.

MercenaryAce and Sarge like this.