main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Syril Karn

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 5, 2022.

1. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Well................
    I am a tad surprised that one of my predictions for Syril actually came partially true!
    The romance part is almost certainly guaranteed for Season 2!

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    imagine Syril bringing Dedra home to meet mum ...

Slater, CptEks, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  3. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    That would be both awkward and hilarious. Even more so if the meeting would include Dedra's mother, revealed to be just like Eedy.

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Or Deedra’s mom IS Eedy’s twin sister, and we find out that Deedra and Syril are first cousins. Upon hearing the news, they hesitate for a moment, and then make out.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    Generational Fan likes this.
  5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Alas, I really wanted to much more from Syril in this series after such a strong start in the first three episodes. I completely the understand the intent of holding him back after such a huge mess up to kick things off, and his gradual radicalization in an effort to prove himself to Dedra provided some good nuance in what should be a fascinating dynamic moving forward. I just wish he was more active in the latter half of the season rather than mostly running in place. Nevertheless, I look forward to his season 2 development with great interest.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Country Roads

Country Roads Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2022
    I don't think he was stalking her or trying to meet up with her again? Didn't he literally say something like "Son of bitch! What is she doing here?" when he saw her lol

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    As is tradition

Bor Mullet and Generational Fan like this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you think the chemistry is there now, wait until next season when he sees her eating her favorite meal, colored Cocoa Puffs.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What if she is uncle Harlow? Now that would be a twist :p

10. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Damn it, why am I now seeing a Patrick Swayze / Demi Moore-like scenario; except, instead of making clay pots or urns, Syril is sitting directly behind Dedra whilst feeding cereal to her. And then as a little trail of milk rolls down her cheek, he tenderly runs the spoon over her face and puts the contents back into her mouth. The intensity of such a vision is just too much to bare.

11. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Gawd, I did NOT need that image in my head!

12. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I doubt it. He had no reason to expect her to be there, and was surprised that she was. Cassian is motive enough, we see Syril staring at his holo.

I don't understand why everyone (out of universe) thinks Syril is a total screw up? He does a good job with the witness interviews to get a description of his person of interest. He digs through the air traffic and motivates his staff member to filter it, to get a system to put out word to. He puts out said word against his staff's advise, and it leads to a suspect. That is his job description - he is a detective, essentially. The tactical aspect on the ground isn't his domain (that would be Mosk's), he just suits up to show solidarity with the troops. Furthermore, there wasn't really anything unsound about their tactics, anyway - Luthen was just a huge wildcard that couldn't have been accounted for. Yes, his motivational speech to the troops is terrible (he is green), but the mission didn't go sideways because the troops were demotivated. I'm glad he was portrayed as successful in the finale, rather than a bungler as people expected.

Slater, Bor Mullet, CptEks and 7 others like this.
  13. Country Roads

Nov 10, 2022
    Agree Syril is not a screw up at all. He is young, perhaps green to how evil the Empire is, but he is just doing what he thinks is right. From his viewpoint, Cassian Andor is a cop-killer that he wants to bring to justice. In his mind, he is on the right side of the law, and he is trying to catch a criminal. He does not have the big picture perspective that we all have. I am rooting for him.

Palp_Faction, CptEks and Sarge like this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I actually don’t think he would care how evil the empire is. Won’t be shocked if he joins the ISB next season.

Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I agree. The idea of Empire taps into his psyche.

Eedy makes him sound and feel like a screw up. His infatuation and desire for the cruel Dedra also make him out be a screw up. But they add a degree of humanity and characterisation to what could have just been another one-dimensional portrayal of a pre-fascist (in a lesser series).

Slater, Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He’s not a bungler at all. But he is too insecure and obsessive, and I think that blinds him to the wrongness of the institution he’s serving (and the people he’s infatuated with). He’s a committed fascist that’s willfully naive in his patriotism. But yeah, not a bungler and competent.

I agree that he’s competent. Insecure (thanks mom), but competent. But…what would you be rooting for him to do? To realize the folly of the Empire and defect to the rebellion, or to actually capture Cassian and Luthen?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. Country Roads

Nov 10, 2022
    That is a good question, what would I be rooting for him to do? I am not rooting for him in the sense of capturing Andor or Luthen, I think we know he won't be successful in that. I just find him intriguing as a character. So relatable, and yet, so not lol.

I guess I just want something solid and satisfying for him, rather than for the character to fizzle out. I want him to go big - like the Empire sees the value of his obsessiveness and slavery to the letter of the law and they make him head of the ISB or even higher. The birth of a Big Bad Villain. Or, the opposite, the scales fall from his eyes and he joins the Rebellion in a big way and we realize he becomes a hero.

I think he is a huge asset to whatever side he is on, dude is like a pit bull latched on to its prey.

And I like him. So sue me.

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well he’s obsessive. The show shows that in spades. Obsessive people tend to either be a great asset or liability. To themselves or others.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I read him more as a boy-scout , he believes in rules and has a naive view of the Empire which he may come to see in all it's brutality and unfairness.

or - I could be wrong and he goes full in on fascism.

Bor Mullet and Country Roads like this.
  20. Country Roads

Nov 10, 2022
    I agree on the boy scout part. Again he is trying to get, what he perceives as, a dangerous killer off the streets. He seems to have zero interest in the Empire's politicking and schemes and spies (he wouldn't back down when told to), he is just trying to do the right thing regardless. I feel like all the characters are firmly on a side, Empire or Rebellion. Syril is pretty one-track about his own mission, which he sees as justice, and I can see him slowly changing as he discovers more about what's going on.

21. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    The awkwardness carries over into real life...

22. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Syril is one heck of a wimp; he's had all this time to track down Cass and he's no closer now than he's ever been. He's following Dedra at the end like a dog following their master, will she ever really respect him?

23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    He’s a dog all right. And not the ‘you dog’ type of dog.

He’s loyal to a fault. But I don’t see him as a wimp. In this episode he had no fear of putting himself in the way of danger, First he tried to push through the Imperial line. Probably to any ranking officer he about Cassian. But he was denied getting through.

When the chaos started Syril ran towards what he knew was bomb and then he got into the fight. He didn’t run away.

He feels a loyalty to Dedra for helping get him a promotion. But mostly he wants to be an imperial investigator.

Once all hell breaks lose Syril knows he’s not finding Cassian. At that point he rescues Dedra. Even that wasn’t a wimp thing to do. He thought on his feet and projected the leadership and authority to usher Dedra away from a potentially murderous mob.

He may be sniveling but he is not a wimp.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Sarge and Foreign32567 like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, he’s not a wimp at all. He’s just an obsessive personality who likes upholding fascist law and order, and is infatuated with Dedra because she’s the epitome of that.

Awkward? Those two are sizzling. Kiss already!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2022
    Slater, rumblewagon and Riv_Shiel like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The podcast X-Ray Vision compared Syril to weird nerds and those who think that wealth is a sign of morality, who worship fascist billionaires—and I’m here for it. Even if Dedra isn’t a billionaire.

Bor Mullet likes this.