main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Tabards (sp?)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by The_awesome_jedi, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davisjaron

davisjaron Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    I have had a couple of ideas about this. One is snap ons, another is actually attaching all the peices together, like sewing the tabards onto the shoulder, then using velcro to attach the tabards to your belt so that they stay in the same place, but you do it so that its not noticeable.

any thoughts about those ideas?

2. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    Velcro or safety pins, either one works just fine for me (have done both with my new Jedi outfit. I saw someone post not too long ago that they used a hook-and-eye set for theirs, which struck me as a really good idea.

As far as whether the tabards are 2-piece or one, you could do it either way. They aren't all that hard to line up on your own if you use Velcro strips sewn in the right locations, IMO. A bit harder when you're using safety pins, I guess, but still doable.

Eric Tank
    SL-7171 Garrison Tyranus

3. davisjaron

Apr 9, 2005
    O that is a good idea, to sew the velcro strips on, lol, i can't believe i never thought about that, lol.

4. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    Make sure you get the velcro WITHOUT adhesive on the back - it's much easier to sew... :)

Eric Tank
    SL-7171 Garrison Tyranus

5. davisjaron

Apr 9, 2005
    ............. .......... lol, i have an entire box (that we have had forever) full of the sticky back velcro, lol. Well that sucks!

just have to buy me some new velcro...

6. siLv_Rieekan

siLv_Rieekan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    just sew it on with a machine that helps a lot

7. The_awesome_jedi

The_awesome_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I just sewed it onto the gi since Igot another one. Thanks for all the ideas!

8. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    I'm also a big fan of Shoe Goo (check walmart) if you don't want to sew the velcro on. It's an adhesive for repairing shoes and various fabrics and vinyl. Works like a champ!

9. davisjaron

Apr 9, 2005
    ehh shoe go can get very messy though, lol.

10. Plo_Strax-Avix

Plo_Strax-Avix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    I did quite a number on my Tabard. They're made out of 2 piece of cloth sewn together like you would a long coth bag, then sealed at the end. To make them line up permenantly, I sew them together at the point where my obi would be with 'invisible stitches' so that there's no ugly sew line when viewed from either side.

I also 'pinched' it a bit, also at the Obi area and sew the bit of 'pinched' cloth together on the inside so that the bottom section(pass the obi) would go straight down and not overlap.

I secure the Tabard onto my shoulders using clip buttoms like thos used for button-fly jeans.

11. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    ehh shoe go can get very messy though, lol.

Isn't that half the fun?? ;)

12. davisjaron

Apr 9, 2005
    I have some cool tabards that I have planned for my new costume!

They will be leather but I don't know if i'm going to do black or dark brown... here is my concept i made (first hand drew, then put on the computer)

[image=http://www.jarondavis.info/costumes/costume3/costume3_concept.gif]

It has the the regular jedi/sith costume with pants, two tunics, sash, belt, boots, and tabards, but these tabards are extra long and there is a skirt type thing (i don't know what you would call it) that the tabards come to an end with.

13. The_awesome_jedi

The_awesome_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I think I might try gorilla glue. Sound good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.