main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~Tagged~ A Long Handmaiden Fanfic - Prelude in the Archive

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandmaidenEirtae

HandmaidenEirtae Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2001
    Here it is, my third fanfic. I hope you like it! It's about the handmaidens (obviously) from pre-Episode I to shortly after.

Disclaimer: The usual. Star Wars and etc. belongs to George Lucas. Otherwise I'd be publishing this and not posting it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sabé scowled down at the queen. This wasn?t going to work. Either way she moved, her father would win in a matter of seconds.

?Fine,? she said, knocking the queen piece over. ?I give up- again.?

Lord Baun smiled as he started putting the pieces of the game away. ?You?re getting better,? he assured her. ?I think this tactics exercise is really helping you. You almost had me beat.?

Sabé picked up her fallen queen piece and sighed. ?I can?t wait until I win it for once.?

Her father stopped cleaning up. ?Sabé, you will learn. This kind of stuff takes time. Do you think the king got his position overnight? It takes time, training and talent.?

Sabé almost smiled. The three T?s of Naboo politics.

?You have talent; your test scores for leadership were very high,? Lord Baun continued. ?We?re working on your training, but it will take time. Just be patient, my daughter.? He took the last piece from her hand and put it into its case. ?I need to go get ready for tonight. We leave for the ball in three hours.?

He stood and left Sabé?s room, leaving her prey to her thoughts. To tell the truth, she wasn?t particularly sure she wanted to run for the monarch like her family hoped she would. She preferred something more along the lines of the military or Royal Security Force. Politics was an intangible art of war, less like actual fighting than some would imagine. Sabé preferred a blaster in her hand to a meticulously written speech. She sighed and flopped down on her bed. Her father would understand, of course, if she didn?t want to pursue the throne, but Sabé didn?t want to disappoint him either. She could only hope that a job between politics and the military would open up for her. She hoped that her internship with Captain Panaka?s department would help her get that job. But until then...

Sabé rolled off of her bed. ...she had a ball to attend.

Rabé stood in the storage room, staring at the rows of colors. In her mind they danced and weaved to form all sorts of magnificent designs. She didn?t even try to remember them all, but gave each one consideration before going on to the next. She needed an ingenious idea, one that would stand out in front of all her other works.

Rabé?s family was a famous weaving family, and her father had asked her to make a weaving as a gift for the next monarch. Rabé had been pleasantly surprised when he had first asked her, but now she was a little worried. The monarchs were very important people; what could she make that would be good enough for one of them?

Rabé reached out for a bundle of dark purple thread, but decided against the color. Purple was too gloomy; she need something cheerful. Well, perhaps purple wasn?t too gloomy if King Veruna won again. Rabé didn?t like King Veruna. She thought he was moving too much from the traditional Naboo way of life. He dealt with too many off-worlders during his last term.

Countess Shonzali wasn?t a much better choice. Rabé had seen the way she had treated people socially below her, and it wasn?t impressive at all. Countess Shonzali came from one of the snobby noble families, and Rabé was sure that she just wanted the power.

Lady Amidala was Rabé?s favorite candidate, with Sio Bibble close behind. She liked them both, but Amidala impressed her the most. Despite the age and gender barriers, Amidala seemed most interested in helping the Naboo common people. She proposed a return to the old ways of the Naboo, and Rabé was ready for that. Her hairstyles could use a little work though...

Rabé picked up a shimmering pearlsilk thread, comparing it to a bundle of blood

2. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Hey, you started this, HandmaidenEirtae! Very cool!
    Loved this line in particular:
    Her hairstyles could use a little work though...

LOL! [face_laugh]

The hm story I'm working on is pretty similar, except that my versions of the hms are totally different. Maybe you'll inspire me to start posting mine soon...

Looking forward to more! :)

3. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    Sounds like a great start! A very good intro! A note, if you want to have the little accents over the e's in the HM's names, all you have to do is punch Ctrl, apostrophe, and an 'e' at the same time. It takes a few tries, but when you get it, it makes it look a little better. Thank Amidollie for showing me that!

Again, great start! Can't wait to start!

AQ

4. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    You can get the é's by pressing ALT-1154, too. :)

5. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    Thanks, guys. :::beams happily that at least two people like her fanfic so far::: Thanks also for the tips about the accented e's. They aren't there yet b/c I'm still trying to get a hang of doing them, but hopefully I will have a fully accented fanfic soon. ; )
    Anyway, on with the next part.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Election day came in a whirl of activity. All the shops were closed, and everyone seemed to be out in the streets. Laughter and music filled the air along with the ceaseless rumble of hundreds of conversations going on at once. Banners of the four candidates hung from the houses and confetti swirled through the air and never seemed to settle down to the ground. Sabe certainly didn?t envy the people who had to clean up the streets the next day.

Sabe had gotten up early that morning, and had been one of the first people to put in their vote after the Candidates? Parade. Sabe had voted for Lady Amidala, but she knew without asking that her father had voted for Sio Bibble. She had tried to persuade him earlier that morning to vote for Amidala, but Lord Baun had shook his head and smiled.

?Sio Bibble is too old,? Sabe had said. ?We need a young revolutionary on the throne to undo the damage King Veruna did.?

?With age comes wisdom,? responded her father. ?Lady Amidala has little of either.?

?Lady Amidala is wise beyond her years,? Sabe retorted. ?She became governor of Theed when she was twelve. Lord Bibble is a nice old man, but he won?t be able to keep up with Naboo?s needs. A vote for him is a wasted vote.?

Lord Baun had just looked amused. ?We shall see.?

All Sabe could do now was wait anxiously. The voting had ended at 0600, and it was taking time for the results from all the different towns and cities around the planet to get in. It was almost 0800, the time designated for the announcement of the new monarch, but Sabe knew there could be delays. She and her father were passing the time by enjoying some of the street entertainment. They had just stopped to listen to a young girl who was playing a beautiful piece of music on a trana.

Yane lowered the instrument from her lips and curtsied to the crowd as they applauded. A couple of people threw coins into the open trana case at her feet. She glanced around the crowd as she raised the instrument to play another song. There was no one she knew there, but she recognized a girl and her father. Yane had been behind them while waiting to vote. She had thought wistfully then that they looked so happy to be in each other?s company, unlike Yane and her father that morning. She hadn?t seen him since the Candidates? Parade. He had told her to hurry up and vote, then find a spot to play her trana. Yane hated playing this way, collecting coins for her music as if she was a beggar, but she wasn?t about to argue with her father.

Yane?s eyes flickered up to where the candidates sat on a raised dais. After agonizing all morning over who she would vote for, Yane had put in her vote for Lady Amidala. It felt right, and she didn?t worry that she had voted for the wrong person.

Yane finished her piece and again curtsied. Instead of playing another song, though, she gathered all her change in one hand and carefully put the trana in its case. Locking the case shut, Yane started to move through the crowd. She wanted to find her mother and father before they announced the winner of the election. It was extremely crowded in the square, and Yane had to squeeze through the people. Suddenly, someone bumped into her roughly and knocked all the change from her hand. Yane bent down quickly to pick it up, and the girl who had bumped into her crouched down to help.

?I?m so sorry,? she said.

Yane smiled. ?It?s okay. I should have known that this was going to happen in a place as crowded as this.?

Sache handed the girl her change and quickly walked off. How embarrassing! She could get so clumsy at times.

Sache slipped through the people, trying to find

6. jedi-thespian

jedi-thespian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2001
    Great story! You've blended their lives together so well! Poor Yane, I hope things turn out all right for her :( I love how they each have their own individual lives! Write more soon!

7. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    I love how you have them all bumping into each other and waving to each other by accident, even though they don't know each other yet. You really captured the excitement of the election--I like how you portrayed it as a celebration day, not just some serious occasion.

Looking forward to the next part! :)

8. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    Lovely post HandmaidenEirtae! I love what you're doing here! Keep it up!

AQ

9. faubert

faubert Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 5, 2000
    I think that this is great.

10. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    Thanks, you guys! :::Beams happily::: Here's the next post. I hope to have the next one up tomorrow morning. : )

?Handmaidens needed for Her Highness Queen Amidala,? Eirtae read off of a
    poster to Staven. Staven looked bored and uninterested, so Eirtae read the rest to herself. Her eyes sparked as an idea came into her head, and she untacked the poster from the wall and rolled it up. She resumed walking toward her house before Staven could say something. He did as soon as he caught up anyway.

?You want to become a servant?? he said, looking utterly confused. ?If you like working that much, you can just do my chores for me- which you never volunteered for before. You don?t even like doing your own chores. Why the change of heart??

?Because, Staven,? Eirtae replied lightly as she opened the door to their home. ?I just found a ticket out of here.?

Rabe could hear her parents? hushed voices over the sound of the loom, and it was driving her crazy. They had excused themselves to the lounge room immediately after supper, and whenever they did that, it meant that they were talking about something important. Finally, Rabe couldn?t take it anymore. She stood up and left her tapestry to see what her parents were up to. They were in the middle of a heated discussion when she got to the doorway.

?How can you say that, Hiron,? her mother was saying. ?You just want her to
    stay here so you can collect the money off of her weavings.?

?I do not, Finnae,? her father retorted fiercely. ?I just don?t think-?

?Hello, Rabe.? Finnae plastered a smile to her face. ?Why don?t you come in and have a seat? Your father and I need to talk to you.?

Apprehensive, Rabe took a seat on the couch. Her mother and father sat on either side of her.

?Rabe,? he mother started, a serious look on her face. ?Another job opportunity has come up for you that we think you might enjoy better than working here.?

Rabe kept silent. A job that she would enjoy better than working at home with her family, doing something she loved? Why, the only thing that would beat that would have to be something extraordinary... like, working with Queen Amidala herself!

?They?re looking for girls to be handmaidens,? Finnae continued. ?You?d be working with Queen Amidala herself!?

?With..with the Queen?? Rabe stuttered. She had always admired Amidala, even before she was queen. A chance to meet her would be something to jump at, but a chance to work for her, work with her...

?You don?t have to make a choice right now, sweetie,? Hiron said. ?You?d have to live in the Royal Palace and take care of the Queen all day.?

?We didn?t want to make a decision without you,? Finnae added. ?We wanted it to be your choice.?

Rabe?s parents held their breath, waiting for their daughter to say something.

?Yes,? Rabe breathed. ?I?d love to do that.?

Finnae hugged her daughter tightly. ?How exciting for you, dear!? She pulled away. ?But there?s always a chance that you might not be chosen to be a handmaiden. They get applications from hundreds of girls, all over the planet.?

?But we?ll be proud of you, no matter what,? her father added. ?Of course we?ll be extra proud if you do get the job...?

?Hiron!? Finnae said, frowning.

?I?m just kidding, dear,? he said, smiling weakly.

Finnae turned back to Rabe. ?Now why don?t you go to bed, honey. I?m sure you won?t be able to concentrate on your tapestry now.?

Rabe kissed both of her parents good night and headed for her room. A handmaiden... How wonderful would that be? Maybe not very exciting, waiting on the queen all day, but it would be wonderful all the same. Rabe smiled to herself. Who knows, maybe she would be able to give Queen Amidala a few pointers on her hair.

Sabe rolled the small, metal queen piece

11. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Ooh, interesting. It looks like all of them are going to have to overcome some obstacles if they're going to become hms.
    Great post, HandmaidenEirtae! :)

12. Angel_of_Naboo

Angel_of_Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    This is a great story Eirtaé!!! Please continue posting!!!

13. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    Thank you everyone! (I'm very excited that people are actually reading this fanfic, not like my first and second one. :) ). Anway, here's the next part!

Count Denala listened carefully as his daughter told him all about the handmaiden position. He was in total favor of it, though he hadn?t said so yet. He knew Eirtae had big plans for her life, but he also knew how... controlling his wife could be. He always ended up taking Eirtae?s side in their arguments, so it was natural for Eirtae to come to him with her idea first.

Eirtae finished talking and took a deep breath, waiting for her father to say something. He hadn?t talked at all while she had been telling him about the job. He had just sat there and stared at the poster spread on the table between them. Now he closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, as he always did when he was in deep thought. Eirtae fidgeted. If her father wasn?t going to approve her application for this job, it was doubtful her mother would. After an agonizing minute, Count Denala reopened his eyes and smiled.

?Well?? Eirtae burst out.

?You have my permission,? he said.

?Yes!? Eirtae jumped up and hugged her father tightly around the neck.
    ?Thank you, thank you, thank you!?

?Calm down, tatuche,? he said, and guided her back to her chair. ?We still need to talk to your mother about this.?

?Talk to me about what?? Countess Denala asked as she swept into the room.

Eirtae straightened in her chair and banished all remnants of excitement. The way to get something from her mother was to be a perfect lady when asking for it.

?Sit down, Firenze.? Count Denala patted the chair next to him. ?Eirtae and I have something to talk to you about.?

Firenze Denala shot them both a suspicious look as she sat down. ?It this had anything to do with Eirtae?s litto lessons, I told you, I?m not budging from my decision-?

?No, no, it?s not that again,? Eirtae?s father said in his soft, calm voice. ?Our daughter wants to apply to become a handmaiden for Queen Amidala.?

?A handmaiden?? Countess Denala echoed.

?It would be wonderful, Mother,? Eirtae exclaimed eagerly, her excitement bubbling up again. ?Think of all the things I would learn there. Everything from court etiquette to fixing Queen Amidala?s elaborate hairstyles.? She leaned forward across the table. ?Also, working with the queen will improve my social standing as I get older.?

Firenze still looked doubtful. ?You would have to live in Theed- all by yourself- for months at a time.?

?She wouldn?t be by herself,? countered Count Denala. ?She would be living in the Royal Palace with the other handmaidens. I have heard that they are very well taken care of.?

?And think of all the stuff I would learn just because you and father won?t be there. I?ll have to learn how to survive on my own-? Eirtae?s eyes shone at the prospect ?- socially, of course.?

Countess Denala skimmed over the poster that lay on the table i front of her and but her lip. ?You have already approved of this, Elion??

?She has my blessing,? Count Denala replied gently.

Firenze sighed. ?You two always seem to be ganging up on me with your little plots.? She paused, and Eirtae held her breath. ?I supposed we should send in her application.?

Eirtae could barley contain her happiness. She rose and gave her mother a quick hug. ?Thank you,? she whispered.

Firenze patter her arm. ?You should go to your room and start packing. Your father will take you to Theed in a few days for the tryouts.?

Eirtae nodded solemnly and left quickly. As soon as she closed the heavy wooden door behind her, she let her unladylike happiness loose. Humming loudly an old victory ballad she heard at Election Day, she skipped down the hallway, occasionally stopping to give the servants big hugs. Perhaps being a handmaiden wouldn?t be as exciting as being a pilot or part of the Royal Security Forces, but it still gave Eirtae the f

14. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    That's a cool idea, to have Ami have some regular hms and then the five specially trained ones, HandmaidenEirtae. I really like that! :)

15. Melne_Crtor

Melne_Crtor Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    Damn, I go camping (Yuck! The heat, the horror!) for a couple of days and miss a handmaiden fic. Very good, Eirtae. I shall read more.

16. jedi-thespian

Mar 9, 2001
    This is very good! Write more soon!

17. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    Thanks, everyone! My family was thinking about going camping, Melne, but it's been so hot here I'm glad they didn't. : )
    I feel like I'm kinda at a road block, b/c there's many different directions I can go. But I have enough stocked up on my computer to keep posting regularly. : )
    Here's a little bit more....

Yane sat nervously at the kitchen table. Her mother was tel ling her father about the handmaiden job, and he was staring at her stupidly. They had put off as long as possible asking him about, because most nights he had come home either too late or too drunk. Now they were cutting it excruciatingly close to the application deadline, and they had no choice but to talk to him now. At least he didn?t look too drunk.

?The deadline?s tomorrow, Thane, and I?m going to have Yane apply,? Yane?s mother finished firmly. She wasn?t asking her husband, she was telling him. She was going to do everything within her power to get Yane this job. It was what her daughter deserved. All the same, she held her breath as she waited for his response.

Thane Calnen?s eyes narrowed as he looked first to his wife, then to his daughter. He appeared to be thinking hard- something Yane wasn?t sure he could do. Slowly, he opened his mouth to talk.

?No.?

Laivene?s face grew red. ?Why not? This is a perfect job! It will bring in more money than any factory job that you had planned for her, and it will be much more safe.?

He pointed a finger at Yane. ?No one,? he slurred, ?is going to make a servant out of my daughter, queen or not. The Calnen name is too good for that.?

Laivene?s mouth fell open. ?How short-sighted can you be?? she practically shouted at him. ?I suppose that the Calnen name is good enough to be attached to a factory worker, is it? Or a simple miner, like yourself??

Drunk or not, Thane found her sarcastic words scorching. He stood, swaying, but looking down at the two women threateningly. ?Don?t you raise your voice at me, woman!? he roared.

Yane clamped her hand down on her mother?s arm, trying to restrain her. Laivene took no notice, her eyes flashing at her husband. ?Or else what, Thane? You?re a drunken mess!?

Thane roared, an earsplitting sound, and made a swipe across the table. Laivene and Yane jumped up and out of the way, knocking over their chairs.

?You?re in big trouble now!? yelled Yane?s father.

Laivene grasped Yane tightly by the arm and hurried her out of the kitchen. ?Go to your room, Yane,? she said. ?Lock your door, and pack up some things quickly. I?ll come and get you in five minutes. Don?t open the door unless you hear me knock three times.?

Yane looked at her mother?s tightly drawn face, astonished. ?Why?? she asked.

?We?re leaving,? her mother answered.

They reached Yane?s room, and Yane hurried inside. Laivene changed the lock password before going to her own room. Yane bustled about, trying to get as many things as she could before her mother came back. She didn?t know what other girls felt like when they had to leave their homes, but all Yane felt know was excitement and relief. At last they could be free, and last Yane and her mother wouldn?t have to worry about Thane hurting either one of them. They could find their own place, and live by themselves. Laivene would get a good job, and Yane would become a handmaiden. They could live at peace.

Three sharp taps sounded at her door, and Yane shut her carrying case quickly. Rushing over to the door, she unlocked it and opened it. Her mother stood there, her own carrying case in hand and a dark purple bruise forming on her cheek. Yane gasped.

?Did he hit you?? she asked, wide-eyed with horror.

Laivene nodded, then swept her daughter down the hallway. ?He won?t come after us,? she assured her frightened daughter. ?After he hit me, I gave him a right cut in the jaw.? She smiled wearily, faintly. ?He?s on our bed crying like a baby.?

The two women hurrie

18. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Good for them! I guess becoming a hm will be a blessing for Yané in more ways than one! I'm very glad that both she and her mom left.

I'll be gone for a few days, HandmaidenEirtae, so I won't be posting. I'm already looking forward to coming back and catching up on this story, though. :)

19. Melne_Crtor

Melne_Crtor Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    Très intense. Amen to Yané's mom for gathering the guts to leave. I predict it will affect her in the future by a) forcing herself to work harder or b) she might have problems or c) I'm stupid.

20. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    Thanks for all your encouragement! I wasn't going to post again tonite, but I was reading your replies and decided to anyway. It's kinda short, but b/c it's the first time Sabe, Rabe, and Eirtae really meet, I think it should have its own post. : ) Also, I'm trying to make the parts I've already written stretch as long as they can b4 I'm forced to write new stuff....

?This way, please.? An elderly servant led the troupe of girls up a large marble staircase and down a long hall. He turned a corner, and they came face to face with an impressive metal door. He typed in an access code, and the door whooshed open. Rabé tried to peek over the other girls? heads, but she was at the very back of the group, and some of the ten girls were rather tall. The old man lead them into a large room. At the far end of the room were four people, seated close to a large desk. Behind the desk was the throne, and there sat Queen Amidala, radiant in royal robes of deep blue.

Rabé could barely contain her excitement. She felt happy since a couple of nights ago when her family had received the news that she had been chosen as a handmaiden. They had celebrated all night, then the next day her father and mother had helped her pack. This morning they had driven her to the Royal Palace and said good bye.

The servant lead them up to the throne, between the seated officials. He bowed deeply to the Queen and stepped aside to reveal the girls. ?Your new handmaidens, Your Highness.?

Queen Amidala nodded almost imperceptibly. ?Thank you, Alfed. You are dismissed.?

He bowed once more and left the room, leaving the newly christened handmaidens feeling awkward under the majestic Queen?s cool stare.

?Handmaidens,? Amidala started, and Rabé felt a chill of excitement pass up her spine. ?You have just received an honor. You were picked out of three hundred girls for your intelligence, strength, and loyalty to Naboo. You are the elite among your peers. We look forward to your service here.? She turned to Captain Panaka. ?Captain Panaka will be in charge of your training. If you have any problems or concerns, please don?t hesitate to call either him or me. You are dismissed to follow him to your new quarters.?

The handmaidens started to file out after the Captain, and Rabé followed slowly. For some reason, she didn?t want to leave the throne room. She had come in contact with the Queen for the first time, and she didn?t want to leave yet.

?Sabé Baun, Eirtaé Denala, and Rabé Wilohen, please stay for a moment,? Queen Amidala?s clear voice called after them.

Rabé and two other girls turned back, startled. The four seated officials seemed to have been given some silent command, for the rose from their seats and followed Panaka and the other handmaidens out. Rabé and the other two girls exchanged glances and moved back to face the Queen.

Amidala waited until the rest of her court had left and the door had slide shut before speaking again.

?You three girls have been chosen for a special assignment,? she said softly. ?The rest of my handmaidens will function more as servants than you. They will run the errands and ready my dresses and fetch my nectar juice. But you will be much more than that. They are just a disguise for the real job a of handmaiden. The real job of a handmaiden is the defense of the monarch. You were chosen for your outstanding skills. You will receive combat training and hand-to-hand combat training. You will learn the arts of espionage and much more.? She paused, and her tone became much more serious. ?Your life will be in jeopardy if times of crisis arise. If you wish to decline this position, we will understand.?

She looked at each girl individually, and each girl shook her head at the offer. The Queen smiled a little. ?I look forward to working with you and getting to know you.?

The door opened again with a whoosh, and Captain Panaka stepped in quickly.

?Captain Pa

21. jedi-thespian

Mar 9, 2001
    Great story! But what about Yane? Ha ha, her mother gave her husband what for! Ha ha!!! Write more soon!

22. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    Wow, you respons fast, Jedi-thespian. Thanks for the compliments. Don't worry, Yane and Sache will come up in the next few days. There were five days of tryou; or whatever for handmaiden applications, and Yane and Sache tried out during the last two days.
    : )
    Why don't my smiley faces work? :(
    ¡Eirtae!

23. Angel_of_Naboo

Aug 18, 2000
    Yeepee! Eirtaé, Sabé and Rabé are already chosen! Their meeting was kinda cute! I'm so releived that Yané and her mom finally left... The handmaiden job will be really good for our little Yané!
    Hey Melne! It's nice to meet a fellow Canadian!!! You're from Québec, right? Me too! :D

24. HandmaidenEirtae

Jun 23, 2001
    I decided to post b4 this story fell off the boards. :)
    It's short; as I said, I'm trying to make the stuff I've already written last as long as possible. :) I've finally got accenter e's!!

?All right. Everyone pick up the blasters in front of you and aim at the target. When I give you the signal, you will fire at the target.?

Yané picked up the blaster and stared at it blankly. It had been refitted to shoot a tiny dart instead of a blaster bolt, making it decisively less lethal. It didn?t really matter to Yane. She didn?t see what this hand to do with being a handmaiden.

?Something wrong, ma?am??

Yané jumped. Captain Panaka had walked up next to her without her hearing.

?No,? she said quickly. ?I, uh, just wasn?t prepared for this, Captain.? She hesitated. ?I?m no advocate of violence, sir.?

Panaka tilted his head slightly in an understanding way. ?One of the handmaidens? jobs is to protect the queen in times of danger. They need to have extensive training with blasters and hand-to-hand combat for this. However, they are only there to defend. They are bodyguards, not assassins.?

Yané nodded, feeling a little bit better. She had not problem defending people, protecting the innocent from cruel and violent people. She approved of that. Captain Panaka gave her a small smile and turned away.

?Ready!? he yelled. ?Aim! Fire!?

The room echoed with the sound of a hundred blasters being fired. Yané hesitated a second, then steadily took aim and pulled the trigger. The shot went wide.

?Again!? boomed Panaka. ?Ready, aim fire!?

Yané adjusted her aim a little and took another shot. This one actually hit the target in the outer scoring ring. Panaka yelled out the commands one more time, and Yane fixed her aim again and took her last shot. The last dart hit the target inside of the second one, close to the middle scoring ring. Yané put the blaster down, a satisfied look on her face. She had never picked up a blaster before, and felt pleased that she had hit the target two out of three tries. She glanced at the other targets close to hers. Some of the other girls hadn?t been so lucky.

Captain Panaka was striding quickly along the rows of girls, analyzing the targets as he hastily walked past. He stopped for a second by Yane as he glanced at her target. ?No bad for a beginner,? he said.

Yané smiled, a little embarrassed as other girls turned to see who the Head of Royal Security was talking to. She mumbled her thanks, and he moved on.

A young lieutenant called for the girls? attention and told them to follow him to a lounge area where there would be a short break. Yané took a glance back as the applicants were ushered through large doors at the end of the room. Captain Panaka stood at the center of the room, consulting a datapadd and half listening to a young lieutenant. Yané spotted a flash of color out of the corner of her eye and turned to see and elaborately dressed girl walking in toward Panaka from a side door, several attendants flanking her. Yané gasped. It was Queen Amidala herself-

?This way, ma?am.? The young lieutenant grasped her arm firmly and started guiding her toward the door. Yané turned reluctantly away as Panaka bowed to the Queen, and followed the rest of the girls out of the room.

Later, Yané sat quietly on a cushioned chair in the largest lounge she had ever seen. Clusters of girls talked in excited, hushed voices, while other girls stood munching on refreshments silently, anxious looks on their faces. Yané shifted restlessly. They had been waiting there for more than an hour, and Yané was starting to get nervous. There was a tension in the air, an electric anticipation of an unknown event that was about to happen, like they were on the brink of something. Yané kept looking at the doors anxiously, feeling like her destiny was the next thing to come through one of them.

A metallic whoosh echoed in the room, and Captain Panaka and

25. Angel_of_Naboo

Aug 18, 2000
    Cool!!!! I'm so happy for Yané!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.