main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Taika Waititi to Direct and Co-Write New Star Wars Feature Film

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2020.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/taika-waititi-announce

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  2. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    this can only be a good thing. I wonder if this is the official Kevin Feige project? Such an announcement I can't help but feel would have been held back for Celebration in August. There must be doubts over whether that'll go ahead.

But yes, good director choice, hopefully in a new era unburdened by characters we all know.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  3. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Cool news. Looking forward to more Star Wars theatrical releases.

4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If this is ends up being a standalone story, it could help restart the anthology movies again.

Who knows if it makes a billion dollars it might even give Disney the confidence to greenlight Solo 2

lovethedarkside likes this.
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    How many Star Wars films are supposedly "in the works" right now? There's the Rian Johnson trilogy, whatever Kevin Feige is doing, the films already slated for 2024 and 2026 which may or may not be any of the above...

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Although no one's saying anything, I strongly suspect the Rian trilogy has been canceled. TLJ had a lot of bad press that Disney seems desperate not to repeat. Taika Waititi doesn't have that kind of baggage.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    SilentGuy66 and Soontir-Fel like this.
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Shame, I thought TLJ was the only good film of the ST.

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    That's because it is the only good one.

Supposedly, we have Johnsons trilogy, Fiege, JD Dillard star wars, and now Taika. If they just dropped the GOT peoples thing or maybe one of the others are picking up the slack.

After everything, we deserve Johnson's trilogy. Please let it happen.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Until something is OFFICALLY said about the Johnson trilogy it's still happening.

Darkstrider likes this.
  11. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Apart from the Fiege produced movie (which this one could very well be) I was personally under the impression that EVERY star wars film in development had been canned.

I think that was the one of the big problems with announcing so many directors/ showrunners for films/ trilogies without giving us actually any solid information on what they were about. We can only asccoiate them with the bad press from their directors rather than the actual intended stories they were meant to tell. 5 years ago if I heard a new star wars movie was in development I would be so excited.

Now I can only just pray that Waititi doesn't end up fired.

Link1130 and Daneira like this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Well the man himself said: "I’m still talking to Lucasfilm, But they haven’t announced anything on their slate yet.” https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-rian-johnson-trilogy-update/

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Considering it's very likely that LFL dropped Trevorrow because of Book of Henry, I think it's very likely they're keeping Johnson on because of Knives Out.

CooperTFN likes this.
  14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    If you haven't seen Taika's other stuff, go and do it. Eagle vs. Shark, Boy, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and What We Do in the Shadows are all fantastic movies, and WWDITS is easily one of my favourite comedies of all time. Seriously, the man deserves everything he's earned. Go do it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Dillards thing was announced Feb. The only officially canceled was the DnD thing

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm glad Disney has decided to be more intelligent and reasoned rather than just rushing out and grabbing the flavour of the month director for their new films, only to drop said Directors when things don't work out as they imagined.

17. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I mean Waititi is pretty in right now so to speak. I am glad he was on Mando before this - get his feet wet and acclimated so hopefully he stays on for this movie

18. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    No I know I was being 100% sarcastic.

The saving grace is that he was involved on the Mandalorian though so they know what they're getting into.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Waititi is awesome and has been for awhile, the man hasn't made a bad movie, so great choice. But people have a habit of getting fired or walking away from Star Wars and hopefully that's not going to happen anymore and he's kind of a big deal to up and get fired. So I'll buy it's his movie when it gets shot and is about 4 months before release date.

I do hope it happens, though. The man can do anything. And you can watch him being interviewed about Star Wars on the Mandalorian behind the scenes show on Disney+ right now.

And easy choice and gag but I would be absolutely okay if it is just an IG-11 movie.

20. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I wonder if it will get made.

More seriously, I wonder when it will be set.

21. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Is this the supposed 2022 movie?

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Will this be the rebirth of anthology movies? I hope so.

BigAl6ft6, SilentGuy66 and Krueger like this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Irvin Kershner: "Of all the younger guys around, all the hot shots, why me? I remember he said, 'Well, because you know everything a Hollywood director is supposed to know, but you're not Hollywood.' I liked that."

Not to slam Trevorrow or Waititi or any of the hotshots Disney is hiring now for Star Wars, but times sure have changed. It seems they just hire hotshots for the sake of hiring hotshots...

But Waititi really seems passionate about Star Wars and has done good work in the Mandalorian, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Should they have waited to have more substantial things to say before announcing anything?

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  25. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    It seems these days (for Star Wars at least) the news of assigning a director,who may or may not be fired several months into production is supposed to be enough to get fans excited.

Maybe it's just me but I think this is the laziest way to build hype,

'Hey Guys, we're making *a* film. No you don't get to know what it's about, when it's set, when it will be released or even what it's called. But here's the name of a director whose trending at the minute- see you on opening day!'

Yes, I am aware we'll be told these things in time. However personally after the ST, I don't think Star Wars warrants (deserves?) this level of mystery surrounding it's films anymore. Even Marvel at least gives the title of the movie when they announce their slate of films.

Last edited: May 8, 2020