main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Tale of a Jedi: Volume 2 The Birth of the Sith Killer - COMPLETE Author's Note and Replies 12/28

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by red rose knight, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Holy Ban'saka, Batman! A Ben'al post!

But what does Ben'al want translated? Only the Shadow - oops, wrong show. We invoke Batman here, don't we? :p I love the use of language as part of the mystery - hope to see more of that! As well as the Bendu idea of living vs. non-living, because that's an neat idea in the context of the Sith wars.

edit: Hmmm, you know, watching OE twitch from Ben'al withdrawal is like watching my friends' cat chase after the beam of light from their laser pointer...

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the written language in this post. And the way you used the language changes in Ben'al's day to explain how he could be meat and the hunter at the same time. I'm glad that point was clarified!!!

Great job. Try to have another post soon or OE will go into ranting withdrawel again...

3. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Very nice post. His recovery is sure now. :)

4. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That bit of info seems to have pulled him out of his depression.

5. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I think that information pulled me out of my funk over starting school. Red you are a pleasure to read!!! :) 7

6. ca_tron

ca_tron Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    A post with Ben!
    *faints*

7. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    jedimommie? Can't you tell I'm excited about this! Great job once again--you have such a special gift for drawing the reader into your story! ?? Thank you very much! :D

obi ew? Did this herald the birth of the Sith Killer? ?? Not quite yet.

Jade? But what does Ben'al want translated? ?? Hmmm. [face_thinking] I?m not going to tell you!

Diane? Great job. Try to have another post soon or OE will go into ranting withdrawel again... ?? But watching oe twitch is fun. 8-}

jacen200015? Very nice post. His recovery is sure now. ?? How sure of that are you? ;)

PK? That bit of info seems to have pulled him out of his depression. ?? And pulled him in another?ooops, don?t want to give anything away yet. [face_devil]

jedi7? I think that information pulled me out of my funk over starting school. ?? Hey, I finally did something good!

ca tron? *faints* ?? Don?t hurt yourself!

Thank you, dear and patient readers for all your kindnesses. It truly is appreciated.

Life, work and the boards just have me feeling [face_beatup] Ugh. I really need to get WK and Rem written but I had a burst of inspiration today and wrote a ton on my original story and really want to get that typed up since I had to hand write it because I was sans computer today. Yay!

8. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Chapter Fifteen

?I have to go,? Amare announced as she pushed her seat back from the long mess hall table and stood.

?No,? Djaido Vreim purred, ?You are lying.? He lightly grabbed her wrist, keeping her from leaving the table.

Her initial reaction was to pull away, but quickly regained her control and relaxed into the touch. She had made the mistake of letting her guard down before, but unlike, Ben?al, she did not fear that Djaido would do anything so underhanded. But she was scarred.

?No running out on me this time,? the grinning Golian teased. His long braided hair was pulled back into a high knot with only a padawan braid hanging down behind his right ear and cascaded down over his reddish leather tabards. Gold-flecked, deep brown eyes studied the female padawan.

?Escape? Me?? Amare laughed as she sank to the seat next to him again. She shot a knowing look across the table to her dear friend Hayna. But she consciously tried to ignore Tirati?s gaze that was fixed on her wrist where Djaido?s hand still rested. Several other agemates filled out the table during the light meal, adding to the din of the large room.

?She is afraid you will ask her to be your partner in the tournament,? Hayna said as she stabbed at her lunch. Her fierce tattooed mask softened as she stared curiously at the steamed vegetables speared on the utensil.

?Do not scare her,? Djaido admonished with a wave of his hand. ?You make it sound like what I am going to ask is a bad thing.?

?I have seen you in practice,? the Zabrak said. ?It is not pretty, whatever you want to call it. You need all of the help you can get.?

?That?s why I need Amare.?

?Oh, no,? the Corellian shot back as she tried to pull away but he only tightened his grip on her wrist. ?I am not doing tournaments this time around. Not after last time.?

A grinning Djaido chided, ?If you are my partner, I will not make any bets with you.?

?Are you blackmailing me??

?Yes,? came the frank reply.

A frown tugged at Amare?s pale painted lips. ?Why do I have the feeling that I am going to end up eating a live cockabeetle again?? she asked in a resigned tone as she reached up and brushed gray strands out of her face.

?It?s not my fault you bet on Tirati.?

?Hey!? the blond haired padawan called out suddenly joining the conversation. ?I think I should be offended.?

Hayna giggled behind sips of her juice. ?Besides, cockabeetles are good for you. High in protein.?

The bitter taste of the lively insects still left Amare with shivers. She grimaced. ?Only if you are Master Yata.?

?He likes how they squirm around in your mouth struggling to crawl out just before you swallow.?

?Yuck!? the padawan cried out as she jumped up. ?You have just put me off food for the rest of my life.? She shivered in disgust and felt horribly nauseated. ?I am going to go and have nightmares now. Have fun, you disgusting people.?

Quickly excusing herself, she briskly left the cafeteria and headed down the hall. She had been planning on a quick light lunch, but everyone had found her and robbed her of the quick part. She really wanted to get to the training area and steal a few rounds on the bars before things got too busy.

She did not like public displays and really did not enjoy participating in the tournaments when they rolled around every two years. She would because Djaido asked but she found the tournaments to be silly displays. Why play fight when you have to do it so often in life or death situations?

9. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    eeeewwwwwwwwwwwww

How am I supposed to eat dinner now?

10. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    We had some very large cockroaches in the ladies room today at work. Shall I send them over, rrk?????

She's right, though. Why have play tournaments when the real thing keeps happening?

Good job. Keep going.

11. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Fear Factor a'la galaxy far far away. [face_sick] 7

12. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Yep, eww works for me. Um...interesting visuals you had there, Red. :D Great job - can't wait for more!

Shaindl

13. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I was much more focused on Djaido then the bugs. [face_batting]

14. ca_tron

ca_tron Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    I think I'm gonna be sick. At least we know that the Jedi from long ago gambled.

15. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    PK? eeeewwwwwwwwwwwww ?? [face_laugh]

Diane? We had some very large cockroaches in the ladies room today at work. Shall I send them over, rrk????? ?? To quote PK: eeeewwwwwwwwwwwww

jedi7? Fear Factor a'la galaxy far far away ?? But poor Amare! She didn?t get any money out of that stunt. [face_sick]

Shaindl? Um...interesting visuals you had there, Red. ?? Oh, if you liked those, wait until you get a load of?I?m not going to ruin the surprise yet.

oe? I was much more focused on Djaido then the bugs. ?? Which I guess is better than twitching in the corner wondering where Ben?al is. And for the record, he?s in today?s post.

ca tron? I think I'm gonna be sick. At least we know that the Jedi from long ago gambled. ?? :D

Sorry about the delay and thank you for being patient, but I finally got a posty up. Ben?al just did not want to cooperate for some reason. He kept muttering something about a crazy woman stalking him and leaving him love notes signed oe. You all wouldn?t happen to know anything about this deviant, would you? :confused:

16. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Chapter Sixteen

Every part of her had intended to head toward the practice halls where she could commune with the Force through strenuous physical exercise. But every step further from the cafeteria, her thoughts had dragged, lingering on silent conversations, younglings in the corridors and a spot of piped in natural lighting. It had all conspired to keep her from her goal.

Worse, distracted by all of the little things, she found herself terribly off her normal routes. It was the sound of younglings that snapped her from her reveries. Twisting about, she found herself at the gateway to the crèche.

A quick inhale and she quickly retreated from the arched entry way for fear some overwhelmed knight would spy her and guilt her into babysitting for a few hours.

She would rather take on a room full of Sith than a room of squalling, stinky younglings in desperate need of a nappy change.

Her pace quickened as she beat a hasty retreat, but did not get too far. The smell of greenery and soil tickled her senses as she paused near the door of the Ptolian Gardens.

Knowing that she was keeping herself from her practice was not enough to make her move. Mercifully, the corridor was quiet except for the distant cries of a small one. There was no one to give her odd looks.

Truth be told, she was starting to get used to the looks, in that certain, gnawing pain that never goes away, used to it. She frowned. Ever since she had returned from Bourmak, she had been the subject of quiet stares. Some were of pity, others concern, and then there were those from young padawans that held idol worship in their gazes.

There was no heroics, she did what she had to, she was a Sith killer like so many other Jedi.

Except that she had ended the life of a Fury, Ater.

Yet, it was not Sceadu.

That chance had been stolen from her once. There, in those very gardens.

While the urge to walk away was quite powerful, there was something about them that drew her. Caught in its magnetic pull, she gave up the struggle to flee.

Inside the doorway, she reached out, seeking any beings meditating among the foliage. To her surprise it was quiet, the absence of younglings was striking. The absence of other Jedi was common, as few wanted their meditations interrupted by squeals and other childish noises of tiny beings exploring the garden.

A warning through the Force told her all was not as it seemed. The last time she felt such a warning, she woke up behind an aristois bush, hours after the team she was to join had left for Malastare in the hunt for Sceadu.

Spinning about to meet the mysterious presence, she drew her lightsaber and activated it in a fluid motion. ?If you value your life??

?You will do what?? Ben?al Houk calmly asked.

At the sight of him, Amare instinctively retreated a few steps closer to the door. ?What do you want?? she growled, remembering last time she let her guard down. The Corellian did not release her hold on her weapon. ?I am not playing games with you,? she sternly replied, not wishing to know what he was up too. Shock coursed through her like cold water as she spied the open cloak revealing his bare, bandage patched chest.

Looking down, she noted that he remained barefoot upon the fine gravel path and only wore light practice trews. His knuckles where white where he tightly gripped the lightsaber at his side.

?I want your help.?

?Do you really expect me to trust you??

Ben?al frowned, drawing the saber hilt to his wounded chest. ?I suppose I deserved that.?

Ignoring his words, she moved backward along the path toward the door. A sense of something terrible and wrong filled her but there was no warning in the Force.

It did not make her feel better.

Drawing his attention away from her, he studied the Prak?sha in his grip, and then pressed it to his chest once more. His sleeve, wide and loose over pale skin slid down revealing a pink stripe of healing flesh. One of many that Lady Kavara had painted into his flesh with the blood red tip

17. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Ewwwwww, I just saw the most disgusting bit of grossness outside, it was this insect thing and ick ick ick. So I must say, like OE, I was paying more attention to handsome Djaido than whatever they were talking about eating. :p

Ooooh, the tension builds between Ben'al and Amare. [face_batting] I suppose he's asking for her help because she has similar issues with the Furies, but what about her issues with him, hmmm...

You all wouldn?t happen to know anything about this deviant, would you? Rumor has it she's waaaay beyond the stalking stage. I heard she bought a set of velvet-lined leather binders with velcro fasteners... [face_mischief]

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the Amare and Ben'al's conversation - if you could call it that. If it wasn't so deadly, I'd almost say that they were in the midst of some kind of weird mating ritual. Loved that they are trapped together in the Garden and he's trying to get her help. You've really upped the tension between them. Want to hear more!!!! :D

19. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Not only have you upped the tension between them, but you have led me to seriously question Ben'al's sanity. :rolleyes:

20. Shai_Kenobi

Shai_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2004
    Hum..... I wonder what he wants her help for? Is it what I think it is Red? [face_thinking] Jade get your mind out of the gutter! :D

21. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Can't wait to find out what he wants her help for. I love how she can't quite keep herself from wanting to help. They have a lot to discuss. Looking forward to more soon!

Shaindl

22. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    JadeSolo?Ooooh, the tension builds between Ben'al and Amare ?? Oh, just a little bit. [face_love]

Diane? If it wasn't so deadly, I'd almost say that they were in the midst of some kind of weird mating ritual. ?? You have no idea just how close to the truth you are on that.

PK? Not only have you upped the tension between them, but you have led me to seriously question Ben'al's sanity. ?? Good! [face_mischief]

Shai :rolleyes: ?Is it what I think it is Red? ?? I don?t know, what do you think?

Shaindl? Can't wait to find out what he wants her help for. I love how she can't quite keep herself from wanting to help. They have a lot to discuss. Looking forward to more soon! ?? Poor Amare. And lucky you, another posty!

Thanks for the replies everyone, they mean so much. :)

I have decided I am never going to get anything written rotating stories, since I am so close to being done on this volume of Tale I am going to focus on getting it done in the next week, then focus on WK and get it done. While throwing out the occasional short or viggie to satisfy other literary cravings. :D So expect another post this weekend.

23. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Chapter Seventeen

Sighing loudly, Ben?al leaned forward pressing both hands on either side of the Prak?sha and pushed himself to his feet. Pink flushed his pallid skin as he paused to meet Amare?s silent gaze. Without breaking the look, he kicked at the path sending pebbles scattering across the characters he had drawn.

The suddenness of his movements made Amare nervously retreat. Her hand was shaking as she tightened her fingers over the hilt of her lightsaber. Her heart was pounding as a rage of emotions gripped her.

She was afraid.

A weak attempt to write off such an irrational response was all she could muster. There was no reason that she could understand for reacting that way. No warning in the Force, she was safe in the Temple.

All that remained was her fear of him.

Retreating a few steps, Ben?al paused in the middle of the path before turning toward her. In a casual, yet practiced move, he shifted his shoulders allowing the stiff cloak to fall to the ground and pool around his feet.

At the sight standing before her, her breath caught. She had known that he was scarred but the sight of pink flesh along his arms like tiger stripes took her by surprise. She had been there when it had happened, saw the tattered remains of his tunic, known that burned flesh marked his body.

Yet, she had never taken in the depth of the wounds.

Whatever boldness Ben?al had possessed had faded somewhat as he drew his fingers along the gauze patches that still covered the impaling wounds on his chest. He fingered a loose edge and then slowly peeled the loosely woven mesh away revealing discolored skin beneath. After a moment more, he had freed himself of the last vestiges of his time in the healing center. ?You act like you have never seen a scar before.?

Amare frowned. ?On you, never.?

A soft smirk. ?I have scars from before.?

?From being shot in the leg. These??

He raised his right arm, turning it to study the healed flesh. ?Are pink.? A smile before he stole another glance at her. ?Not exactly my color.? He shrugged, holding her gaze briefly. ?It does not matter,? he said almost absently, ?whether they are fresh, red gouges or healed scar tissue. The wounds are still there. They have cut deeper than blood and bone.?

Feeling ill, Amare quickly glanced away. At first, she stared off toward a small clearing near some brightly berry-covered bushes, but finally closed her eyes. As she tried to push the raw feeling away, she wondered why he was doing this to her. She started to speak but stopped after uttering only one word, ?Ben?al??

Without looking at him, she could still sense his emotions, powerful and unshielded. He was waiting, desiring something of her.

Staring back at the clearing, she sidestepped, placing more distance between them.

Nodding toward the remains of what he had drawn in the path, Ben?al purred, ?You wanted to know what that says. Literally? That which kills Sith.?

She did not understand and shook her head. ?I don?t??

?Help me.? It was not a question.

There was only silence.

Rattling through a plan of action, Amare thought she could cut her way out of the garden, but it would not be fast enough to escape him. Even if she made it to safety, would she have really escaped? Would he not find her again?

Worse, could she live with herself for denying aid to someone who asked for it? It would go against everything she had been taught as a Jedi.

His movements drew her reluctant attention.

Stepping away from his fallen cloak, Ben?al went to where the Prak?sha lay abandoned and scooped it up. Twisting it about in a large hand, he spoke in a soft, reverent tone, ?Kura Mahita explained to me what the ancient carvings mean.? He held the weapon out toward her and pointed to a string of characters. ?It is Benedaact. It says ?May the Force be with you.??

Amare remained silent, for there were no words to describe the twist of unsettled feelings tearing into her. She wanted to run, but she could not.

Ben?al Houk did n

24. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I think it's where he asks her to give him some markings. [face_frustrated]

25. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    I had to think about that comment o_e. Then I figured it out -I will not be sick...I will not be sick [face_sick]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.