main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tales #11 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by skawookiee, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I don't know about the rest of you, but this the first Tales comic that I've really looked forward to since about Tales #4. Han Solo! In another thread, Jan mentioned something about a meeting between Han and Quinlan Vos. :cool: I'll be at my comic shop extra early tomorow to pick this one up. Anyone else looking forward to this one?

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    You betcher asteroids, kid. The next two look really good!

3. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I love the Tales series and the quality og the last two issues have really gotten my excited about this new one.

4. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    I'd like as many spoilers as possible, please. :)

5. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    So what's in this issue?

A Han/Quinlan Vos story
    A new Jason Hall story (excellent!)
    A Boba Fett/Han/Tarkin story that was orignally slated for issue 8...
    what else do we know about?

6. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    All I know is that it's all Han!

7. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Geez that's such a freaky icon!

I'm excited for this one. Here's hoping we have a winner.

8. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'll bet anyone an e-decicred that it gets delayed. I've read about a million threads like this, and they all end the same way. :p

TC

9. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    That's a negative; I'm staring at a printed copy of the Diamond comic shop shipping list, which lists the following two items of interest:

Star Wars Tales #11 (both drawn and photo cover)

Star Wars Ep2 preview figures (as in, comic shops all over the place are gonna get in Ep2 preview figs. I should probably go post this in the Collecting board :))

So... we *WILL* have Tales #11 in stores, TOMORROW.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wonder how the heck Vos gets to meet Solo? Either Han will be very young, or Vos survived the purge. Granted it's infinities, but still, they need an explanation don't they?

I know...he was given more drugs and lost his memory again...[face_batting]

11. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Yeah, lost his memory, and "forgot" to die in the Purge [rimshot]da-dum-crash![/rimshot]

12. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    TFAW showed that it already shipped, so it should be coming out today. The Devaronian Version is also supposed to come out today, but I don't think it will.

13. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I can only get my comics next weekend :(

And my store didn't have Jango Fett in :mad:

wk

14. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I have my TFAW order set to ship monthly, and it's supposed to ship this months stuff today.

Here's what they got:

Crossbones #3
    Tales #11
    Jango Fett

Here's what's still pending:
    Dark Horse Extra #44 (expected 2/06)
    Dark Horse Extra #45 (expected 3/06)
    Devaronian Version #1 (expected 3/20)
    Zam Wessel (expected 3/27)

15. Scarlet_Pimpernel

Scarlet_Pimpernel Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2002
    I live in Michigan and was able to pick up the Tales #11 today. I don't have it in front of me at this moment but I did see that there was a story called "The Princess Leia Diaries."

In just glancing through it I thought it looked like a fun issue.Can't wait to read it.

16. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    "The Princess Leia Diaries"

Cool!

I ordered a copy by mail and haven't gotten notice that it has been posted yet. I'm looking forward to this issue so much and I don't usually read comic books. I would love to hear spoilers.

17. Nerf-Lover

Nerf-Lover Star Wars Comic Writer star 1 VIP

Sep 6, 2001
    Mavrick889 wrote:
    A new Jason Hall story (excellent!)

Thanks! :)

IAmTheDarkSide wrote:
    All I know is that it's all Han!

Well, all except one... ;)

Hope you all enjoy "The Princess Leia Diaries"!

Thanks everyone,

Jason

18. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    My comic store didn't have #11 today. :_| Oh well, I guess I'll have to pick it up next week.

19. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    I was a bit dissapointed by this issue actually...Strangely enough, the two stories that I didn't like also had the worst continuity of the issue.

"Prey" was kinda dumb, and felt like a rehashed Enemy of the Empire.

"In the Beginning" was yet another retelling of something we've seen before (Han and Chewie winning the Falcon) but they got it dead wrong.

"The Princess Leia Diaries" rocked out. Awsome story, I had no problems with it at all. Great continuity references from Giles Durane (though he looks nothing like his Marvel self) to Leia's aunts. Question though: Did you write this under the assumption that Leia is 18 in A New Hope? How long before A New Hope does the last scene of the comic take place?

"Tall Tales" was sort of amusing for a few minutes, though it's a lot like that Adventure Journal story...shoot I forget what it's called. Anyway, it was decent, but nothing special. Hopefully Alli's upcoming Betrayal miniseries is better...

"Ghost" was awsome. Quinlan's a great character and I can't wait to see more of his adventures during this time period. Han, of course, is cool as always.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    All in all a fun, if slightly flawed, issue...

"Ghost" was awesome, I hope Vos does in fact survive the purge, he looks like such a haunted (no pun intended) character in his older age. Also, nice beak-less Sarlacc::)

"Tall Tales" was fun...I like the mention of "greedo shoots first" and "solo shot him in cold blood" contradicting stories..like the film itself![face_batting]

"Princess Leia Diaries" was hilarious also. I can just see Tarkin's thought-bubble after destroying Alderaan... "like a water balloon..." ;;D

"In the Beginning" wasn't too interesting, since it was a been-there-done-that kinda deal unfortunately.

"Prey" was odd. It did feel somewhat like an "Enemy of the Empire" retread in a way. The out-of-continuity feel to it bothered me a little bit, but I won't hold that against it since thats the reason it's infinities. The artwork was somewhat odd- you had a practically photorealistic depiction of Boba Fett mixed with a somewhat stylized depiction of Solo and Vader. Made it feel a bit uneven I think.

21. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    There was suppose to be a young Han Solo story. Which one was that?

22. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    "Ghost". It co-stars Quinlan Vos. How old is Han in this...14...15? I wonder why Garris Shrike brought him to Socorro?

So anyway...let's figure out timeline placements for these stories, even the ones that don't fit:

The Princess Leia Diaries: I'd say it spans the years from 8 years to 1 year before A New Hope, or so. When did Leia replace her father as the main representative of Alderaan (she was already a senator when she was training with Giles Durane)?

Tall Tales: Han's already married and has kids, and it looks a bit like Tatooine. So...I guess lets figure out when Han was on Tatooine after he had kids...maybe during Darksaber?

Ghost: Probably around 17 to 16 years before A New Hope, as Jan Duuresema said Han's something like 13 or 14 in this one.

Prey: If it happened at all (I'm not gonna put it in my timeline, I dont think), probably very close to A New Hope, as the Death Star looks nearly complete, and definately after Enemy of the Empire. Boba Fett knows Vader...and they still don't like each other. Still...where's Chewie? Where's the Falcon? Why Hoth? Han left Imperial Service long before this story, and it wasn't because he went AWOL...he got kicked out. Oh well, toss this in the garbage.

In the Beginning: Unfittable. Lando loses the Falcon to a Wookiee and a guy with a band aid on his chin (so...this would be set after the Lost Legacy...maybe Lando met up with Han while he was in the Corporate Sector and lost another ship to him?...nah toss this one out also.

23. Nerf-Lover

Nerf-Lover Star Wars Comic Writer star 1 VIP

Sep 6, 2001
    Mavrick889 wrote:
    "The Princess Leia Diaries" rocked out. Awsome story, I had no problems with it at all.

The2ndQuest wrote:
    "Princess Leia Diaries" was hilarious also. I can just see Tarkin's thought-bubble after destroying Alderaan... "like a water balloon..." ;;D

Thanks, folks! I appreciate the kind words. Glad you both liked the story! I hope to be doing more in the future. (And if you did enjoy it, the best thing you can do is let Dark Horse know! ;) )

And concerning how many years before ANH the last scene in the story takes place...I know what I had in mind, but I suppose it all depends on what they reveal in Ep. III! :D (But then again, Tales is "Infinites"...)

Thanks, again!

24. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Well, there's already a continuity fix in place. Alderaan has an 11 month calender, and this would seem to make Leia both 20 and 18 at the same time. Problem fixed!

Anyway, wonderful stuff. I really hope you get to write some more stories for Tales...or dare I say it...your own series!

In regards to the continuity in "Prey"

- Desertion: It's possible that the so-called desertion is Han simply leaving the Imperials before his booting out of the Navy really got set into paper. They seem to have been looking for Han for a while.

- The Death Star: I suppose this places the story within a year of A New Hope.

- Vader's distaste of Fett: Could be a remenant of his dealings with Fett in Enemy of the Empire

- Fett's lightsaber: He loses it in this story so that shouldn't be a problem.

- Hoth system and Tie Fighters: Maybe Vader was smuggling stolen Tie Fighters for someone like Rybo Ken in the Droids cartoon and he got shot down in the Hoth system? This would explain why he knew about Hoth in Star Wars 3D # 2.

- The A-Wing at the end: The story makes it clear that he stays in the Tatoo system. Perhaps he simply stole the first ship he could get his hands on, desperate to get away from Fett and Vader?

- Lack of Wookiee: Maybe Chewie's on Kashyyyk with his family still? Or he's in the Corporate Sector? Han knew smuggling Tie Fighters was a one man job, so he left the Wookiee home and berthed the Falcon on Tatooine?

Also:

In regards to the placement of "Tall Tales," I'd say it probably isn't set on Tatooine after all. It could be anywhere...maybe Coruscant, though the buildings don't looks very much like it. A Black Sun bounty hunter makes an appearance, so it's possible its set anytime during one of Black Sun's many rises, except probably the YJK books...so I guess that limits it to Crimson Empire II: Council of Blood.

Though Han acts as if his kids are right at home. Were they on Coruscant during the Jedi Academy trilogy? I'm thinking no. Oh well...we'll resolve this later.

25. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    I was also kind of dissapointed with this issue. I loved The Princess Leia Diaries, though. The best Tales story in quite a few issues, IMHO. I especially liked the Luke and Winter cameos, and Bail even looks like Jimmy Smits!
    Prey left me cold. I mean, Boba Fett holding his own in a lightsaber duel against Darth Vader for nearly four pages is just... [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.