main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Before - Legends Saga - PT Saga - OT Before the Saga Tales From the Temple - (UDC X, AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kit', Aug 10, 2022.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    love the different animals and the reaction of masters and padawans

2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Thanks :D Glad you enjoyed the snark, I think some of my characters only live on snark...

Thanks :D Figured I couldn't have Zallie being the only one with a close affinity to animals.

3. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Week 7

31. Scattered Feelings (Dissipate)

The feelings he’d had so long ago on Tatooine had never, he realised, truly gone away. Anakin looked at the young lady who stood before him. She was a vision; her dark hair piled on her head in an elaborate style, her dress hugging every curve-

He couldn't breathe.

"Ani?" Her voice was how he remembered it. "My goodness, you've grown."

His face heated and he was keenly aware of Obi-wan's amusement through their bond.

"And so have you...More beautiful " He stumbled over the words, his face now burning with the heat of both Tatooine suns. "Well, for a senator, I mean."

He didn't need the bond with his Master to know Obi-wan was rehearsing his favourite speech on Jedi decorum and appropriate ways to talk to politicians.

It was going to be a long speech too.

32. Responsibility (Obstruct)

"Master, why must you be so annoying!" Ahsoka groaned. It was not easy, getting around Anakin and his stupidly stubborn ways when he wanted something.

"I just want to see what she looks like," he grumbled under his breath. His eyes were narrowed, his arms folded across his chest, a frown on his lips.

"You'll see the Senator at the ball," Ahsoka repeated firmly. "And if we detour for you to stare at her now, then we'll never make it to where we're supposed to be on time." She glanced at where Obi-wan stood. "A little help?"

The Jedi Master shrugged. "He's not my padawan to manage anymore."

"He's my Master, not my padawan." Ahsoka grumbled.

"My point exactly," Obi-wan answered with a small smile. "He's now your responsibility."

33. Become one (Infuse)

The gentle perfume suffused the air. Anakin smiled. It had all come together perfectly; the lighting, the food, the garden, his proposal and her reaction. All had been perfect. Padme had a deep appreciation for such things, something he tried to give her.

Anakin inhaled deeply to take in the ambiance of the garden. A large canopy, with the stars as its centerpiece, provided the perfect backdrop of the night sky above them. He could make out several of their constellations and planets from where he was standing. It was strange to think he’d flown amongst them, but down here, with her, he felt far more at peace then he ever did amongst their stark coldness. Anakin's gaze drifted towards the full moon and then down towards where Padme stood, luminescent in the moonlight.

"You know," he said softly, "when I proposed I wasn't quite expecting it to be as perfect as this."

Padme gave a small sigh. "Neither did I." She ran her hand over Anakin's arm in an effort to offer some reassurance, knowing what it would cost him if the Jedi ever found out

Anakin took her hand and squeezed it gently. "But I would never change it."

34. Possession (Obtain)

"Anakin please," Padme pleaded. She felt vulnerable standing on the rocky surface of Mustafar, her heavily pregnant belly making it difficult for her to stand up straight and not be hunched over a little with pain and fatigue. For a moment Anakin's anger seemed to dissipate.

"I don't want to hear anymore about Obi-wan," he said, turning slightly away as if the idea was physically painful. "The Jedi turned against me, don't you turn against me."

It was as if he had slapped her. Tears trickled down her cheek.

"I don't know you anymore," she pleaded. She could feel the twins kick and push inside of her. "Anakin, you're breaking my heart. You're going down a path I can't follow."

She wanted so desperately to tell him that she loved him. That they were soulmates. But she knew better. His mind was in conflict, his loyalty to the Jedi was clouded by grief and rage. Behind her she heard Obi-wan’s booted feet on the gangplank. Padme looked at Anakin’s face again; all twisted rage and anguish. She had lost him.

35. Bury (Immerse)

Sometimes Vader could almost hear her.

When Vader was deep inside the bacta tank, her voice came back to him, pleading with him, entreating him, imploring him to turn back to the path of Light. He would reach out with his fingers to feel the touch of her hand, but as soon as he tried it would be gone. Always just a ghostly memory floating past his fingertips.

When Vader was sleeping, he saw her. Long brown hair, dark eyes against a pale face. Always beautifully dressed. Her face turned towards his. Her eyes; dancing, bright, and merry.

When Vader donned his suit, he remembered. He remembered how she never backed down. How she stood for justice. How she always stood her ground until...until that night when Obi-wan-

When Anakin had-

When Vader had kil-

She was dead.

She was dead and there was no one left to blame for her death but himself.

He had failed her.

And his failure meant he was alone.

When Vader had those thoughts, Anakin wept.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Breathtaking! =D= The progression is stunningly poignant. We move from a crush to continued fascination, to love shared, to :eek: his sense of betrayal on Mustafar. The crowning pinnacle was the last one, particularly the last line. I can just imagine she would haunt him persistently and stir regrets. [face_thinking]

Kahara and Kit' like this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Stunning, from loving Anakin to a trapped Anakin, still weeping when thinking about Padme

Kit' and Kahara like this.
  6. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Thank you so much~! Have to admit that after being terrified of writing Canon characters for years, I'm really enjoying getting into their heads and this was one of my favourite pieces.

Thank you! I liked to think that somewhere in Vader there is something of Anakin still desperately trying to be the perfect Jedi, the perfect husband and the perfect child for his mother.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  7. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Warning - contains references to torture (but nothing is actually shown)

Week 8

36. The Offer - (Current)

"Have you ever broken a Jedi?" the Grand Inquisitor asked, his eyes boring into the Fourth Sister who stood silently next to the figure hanging silently by its wrists. Its body was slumped against the cold metal device it was chained to.

It was hard to feel pity for it. The Force around it felt like death, an emptiness that seemed to fill up as it slowly died before their eyes. A sense of hopelessness seemed to fill every fibre in the body of the being, making its skin seem paler and its dark red eyes look even darker as they stared up at the two Inquisitors with nothing but despair.

The Fourth Sister said nothing, only watched as the Grand Inquisitor stepped forward and pressed a button. The chained figure screamed. The Fourth Sister did not move as she felt the pain spread through its veins, felt its organs shatter like glass. It went still after a few seconds, letting out a final weak gasp as one final tear slipped from the corner of its eye. The Grand Inquisitor waved a hand and the body was removed by silent troopers.

There was the sound of a door sliding open and a young Zabrak was dragged in, his Jedi robes nothing but tatters hanging from his shoulders. He glared at the Inquisitors. T

The Grand Inquisitor looked to the Fourth Sister. "Consider this both a gift," he said and nodded towards the struggling figure, "and your first lesson."

37. The Reply (Tide)

"You won't break me." The promise sounded empty even to his own ears. The pain ebbed and flowed through him in never-ending waves. Zubain glared at the Inquisitor through his one good eye. The other one was nothing but a mass of swelling and bruises from where the Storm Troopers had 'mishandled' him.

'Mishandled'. That's what the Inquisitors had called it. Zubain would have called it getting the poodoo kicked out of him.

It wasn't so much beating him as breaking every bone in his body one by one. They'd done worse things, too, but he tried not to think about that.

At least they were more merciful than the Inquisitors were likely to be. He was a Jedi though and, as a Jedi, he was never going to give into the darkness.

Never let them break him.

That is what he'd told himself as they'd broken his body piece by piece. A Jedi did not break.

Although it hadn't stopped him from screaming.

38. The Teacher (Surf)

The waves of the Dark Side rolled over her, enticing and sweet in their pain. She stared at the Jedi. His body had been broken by the troopers but his mind stayed strong. She needed to change that. The fact that he was still standing amazed her. She tilted her head to one side as she watched him. So much pain for no gain.

Part of the fun seemed to be in the game that it took to break them.

He begged for death, but the Fourth Sister wouldn't let him. Instead she made him suffer without hope. She didn't want his death.

Not yet.

There was a thrill as he fell deeper into despair. She reveled in the agony the Jedi felt when he realised that it was his actions that had led to this. His failings. His inability as a Jedi to see what was right before him.

She needed him alive because his mind was hers to take and hers to own. She could only do that if he stayed alive.

It was a challenge.

A test.

So she used the Force to keep him alive. Her hands were red with his blood and she smiled as he screamed. Her fingers moved through the Force like water through cloth, drawing his pain out to make herself feel better.

It was almost euphoric.

Her smile only grew wider when he begged her for mercy. He would learn. He would learn how to love the Darkside, just as she had.

And she was a good teacher.

39. The student (Squall)

The dark side of the Force rushed around Zubain, pushing and shoving him away from the light and everything he held dear. His chest burned, his lungs heaved for breath and his body shook with sobs as he fell to his knees and threw up the meagre contents of his stomach in a desperate attempt to purge the pain.

The Fourth Sister grinned.

Zubain curled in on himself tighter trying to get some space between himself and her. He thought of his friends at the Temple, of his lessons, of his Master. Of everything and everyone he'd once held dear. He clung to them as the last bastions of his old life. Maybe, he told himself, if he clung hard enough he would survive this.

His eyes stung, but he did not dare cry out for mercy; it would only make her smile.

The Darkside raged inside his head, drowning everything else out. Taking everything from him. Drowning him in its pain and its wonder and its temptation.

His anguished cries echoing through the darkness.

40. The Gift (Depth)

His world was nothing but pain. He remembered that he'd once had a name. Once someone had called him something but he could not remember what it was.

He glanced up at the Fourth Sister who smiled down at him, showing gleaming teeth.

He hated her. Hated her with every fibre of his being.

And yet.

And yet he loved her too. Loved what she'd offered him. Loved what she'd shown him.

The Darkside with all its power.

He knew that somewhere in his memories there was more than just pain. A woman with dark hair that fell over her face and a gentle smile; one that reached out to hold his hand. A man with dark red eyes, whose hair glowed brighter than the sun, and a voice that echoed through him like thunder.

But for now, there was only darkness. Nothing beyond the void, nothing above it, nothing below it, nothing anywhere between. Darkness forever.

All he saw was the darkness, and the Fourth Sister.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW intense showing the horrors of the dark

9. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Thank you! This week's is much lighter and happier :D

Kahara likes this.
  10. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Week 9

41. By himself (Per Se)

It was insane how much paperwork the Temple generated. Persé glanced down at his data pad and then up at the freshly delivered pile in his intray. He wondered how long it would be until he could go home and get a good night's rest.

A Jedi thinks of others rather than himself.

His shoulders sagged as he thought back to just this past month. It had been nothing but meetings, discussions, and endless paperwork. He hadn’t even known he could accumulate that amount of paperwork. The only thing worse than the paperwork was when the Council wanted to talk about it.

A Jedi is happy to support the decisions of the Council.

And when the Council did want to talk about something they just assumed that Persé knew. It wasn’t like they gave him clues either!

A Jedi should preempt the needs of others.

"Persé?" A voice asked. Persé looked over his shoulder to see his fellow Archivist, Addi standing awkwardly by the door, hands folded behind their back.

"Are you ready? The Council is waiting." They gestured toward the door.

A Jedi should not groan.

"Do you know what they want to talk about?" Persé asked. Adhi shook their head. Persé closed his eyes.

He groaned.

42. For this (Ad Hoc)

Persé tried not to rub the bridge of his nose as he watched the Council members bicker about the latest budget from the Senate. He glanced across to where Adhi sat, looking like the epitome of a serene Jedi. Part of him never understood how Adhi could look so calm when faced by bickering Council members.

As the discussion raged on, he found himself tapping his finger against the armrest of the seat in front of him and drumming out an anxious rhythm on the table’s surface, which did very little to help alleviate his growing discomfort. Adhi must have noticed the motion from the corner as they glanced at him, head tilted. Their fingers reached out and grasped his, stilling the unceasing motion.

A Jedi finds stillness even in the most trying of circumstances.

"For this I became an archivist," he murmured, knowing his voice was pitched so low that it would not interrupt the argument at the other end of the table.

"Despite this you continue to be one," Adhi returned.

A Jedi finds calm in troubled times.

Persé bit his lower lip and Adhi squeezed his hand back before letting go. The meeting continued, but with less fervour now than it had been just a minute ago. Persé tried not to sigh. They were going through it all again. The same arguments, the same questions, the same excuses for why no action was being taken. It was almost too much to take.

A Jedi finds a way to make the best out of a trying situation.

The Council eventually adjourned the chamber and dispersed, leaving Persé and Adhi sitting there alone, a bubble of silence surrounding them as they waited to make sure everyone else was gone before speaking.

"I think you need some sleep," said Adhi finally.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Perse said, scowling as the headache threatened again. He closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them again, Adhi was staring at him with those big blue eyes that seemed to be able to see right through him. Part of wanted to reach out and touch Adhi’s face, but he could not move.

A Jedi does not form attachments.

"Drink?" Adhi asked.

Persé nodded. "Drink."

43. And others - the same (Et Cetera)

"So this is why you insisted on civilian clothes rather than our normal Jedi robes,'' Persé asked as he surveyed the clientele of the bar that Adhi had chosen. The mixture of different species was stark and testament to the melting pot that was Coruscant.

A Jedi should think about how his actions might affect the good standing of the Order.

Adhi gave a one-shoulder shrug and flagged down the barkeep who looked delighted to see him.

"What can I do for my most favourite customer?" the young woman asked.

"Two Corellian whiskeys with lemon juice, extra dry please, Ettie. Plus the same for him," said Adhi as he waved Persé.

A Jedi seeks out new experiences.

Ettie nodded and disappeared to get their drinks. She returned moments later with their glasses filled half full with an amber liquid and two small shot glasses. Adhi picked them up gingerly and headed for a corner seat near the back of the room away from most of the patrons.

Persé picked up his glass and examined it closely. "I don't understand, why would someone choose to drink something like this?"

Adhi smirked slightly "Because they can."

Persé gave an exaggerated sigh of despair "But it makes no sense! How could a person ever want to feel drunk?"

Adhi shrugged again "They probably just wanted to forget about their worries. Something that you probably need to do more often. For a Jedi you are awfully high strung."

Persé made a face but Adhi ignored it and sipped their drink. Persé felt the warm flush of alcohol creep through him and looked at Adhi who was regarding him steadily. Maybe it would be alright after all.

A Jedi should not get drunk…

44. The other way round (Vice Versa)

“I think,” Persé slurred. “That every form should come with a tick box…” he paused and finished his drink. His third? He fourth? He couldn’t quite remember anymore. “That says “because of Kenobi. Or because of Skywalker.”

“Or both,” Adhi replied.

“Maybe it should just be default,” Persé said with a small giggle.

Adhi didn’t comment on that at all. He sipped from his own glass and leaned over the table. Perse was suddenly keenly aware of how close they were. The heady scent of smoke and cedar, the ones that Persé always associated with his friend washed over him along with the cantina scent of stale beer and greasy food. He flushed and pulled away.

A Jedi is passive, calm and at peace.

“So tell me, how did you find this place again?” Persé asked, trying desperately to push his growing feelings away.

“The Force brought me here,” Adhi said, waving their arm as if to encompass the entire bar. “Does this surprise you?”

“Yes,” Perse said, his mouth twisting. “Because of the two of us, I would never have figured you for frequenting a dive bar so much you know the bartender’s name.”

Adhi smiled. “There are many things about me that might surprise you.”

A Jedi is open to learning new things.

Persé felt his face flush again and hoped it was just the alcohol. “Plus, it’s a pretty lame excuse that the Force guided you to this place so you could get drunk off your head.” He paused and looked at his friend who was staring at him serenely. “Also, how are you not drunk?"

"Because once again, the Force moves in mysterious ways. A Jedi can diffuse the effects of alcohol through the Force if they want to."

Persé frowned. "Thought that was a myth."

Adhi frowned. "No. You just need more experience in drinking."

A Jedi does not bend the rules.

"Oh, yes, because that's going to happen…with all those nights off I get from the never-ending paperwork," Persé said, letting the bitterness creep into his voice.

They fell silent for a while. Persé stared at the tabletop with its dizzing pattern of watermarks. He looked up to see Adhi staring at him, a curious look in their eyes.

"I know how to fix that," Adhi said softly, a shy smile gracing their lips.

“You do?” Persé asked, his voice almost squeaking. His mouth was suddenly dry and his heart hammered in his chest. Was Adhi being serious? Was his friend proposing what Persé could only wish to be true?

Adhi nodded and reached out. Persé felt his heart leap as they took his hand in their own. It was soft and warm and Persé had no idea why he hadn’t noticed this before.

Adhi squeezed tightly, fingers tangling together.

“Yeah,” Adhi said with another soft smile. “I do.”

45. In reality (De Facto)

“Come on you two, bar's closing,” Ettie called. It had been hours of drinking and talking and Persé found himself relaxing in a way he hadn’t in years. The barkeep was watching them, a knowing smile plastered on her face.

Persé eased himself out of the booth and watched Adhi walk, or rather stumble ahead of him toward the door. Persé tried very hard not to focus on the way Adhi’s hair curled against the nape of their neck or the way the hem of their shirt clung to their waist. He failed miserably.

A Jedi does not feel lust.

Adhi pushed open the front door, and as soon as it swung shut behind them the cool night air swept over them. Persé shivered slightly, though it wasn't cold. Not tonight, not with Adhi next to them, holding their hand tightly. Adhi’s face was flushed and they kept bumping into Persé with every step.

A Jedi keeps a clear head.

“Careful,” Persé said, steadying them, feeling a little thrill at how their breath fanned across his cheek.

“Sorry,” Adhi mumbled, blushing even harder. They were so close, Persé could feel the warmth radiating off them. Suddenly Adhi was leaning towards him. For a split second Persé reciprocated, his stomach roiling in terrified excitement. Then the rules that had governed and controlled his life for so long clattered through his head and he found himself stepping back. Adhi rocked back on their heels, their whole body radiating embarrassment. Adhi ran their hand through their hair, as if trying hard not to let the embarrassment overwhelm them.

A Jedi does not seek attachments.

"I'm sorry," Adhi murmured.

Persé shook their head. "We can't," he said softly hating himself more at the sadness in his friend's face. "I want to. Believe me, but the rules of the Order are quite simple."

Adhi frowned. "The rules forbid attachment, not physical comfort."

The rules of the Order will keep you safe.

"The rules are quite explicit," Persé explained, hating the way the words sounded to his own ears.

Adhi shook their head again and reached out to take Persé’s hand. Persé felt the tingle from where their fingers met and the warmth that spread through him that had nothing to do with the alcohol they'd drunk. "And you don't think that we already have an attachment?" Adhi asked.

Persé thought of the way that his days were made brighter when Adhi worked with him. Of how the mounds of paper work seemed to lessen when he was sharing the load with his friend. Of the thrill that coursed in his stomach when their hands accidently brushed. He thought of all of that and felt torn.

A Jedi knows the when the rules are meant to be broken.

"Because I think if we broke that rule a long time ago," Adhi said into the silence. For a moment Persé felt nothing but uncertainty and loss. Then a strange surge of fear that if he blew this moment he'd never see Adhi again. That fear was what made Persé brave enough to open his mouth.

"Look, Adhi..." he started and then the words tumbled out. "You're my best friend. There's no one else who knows me like you do. And, uh..." He paused and swallowed thickly. "And I don’t know how I would survive without you. I think I'm in love with you."

His words hung in the air between them and for a second Persé wish he could grab them and shove them back into his mouth. Adhi stared at each other for a long moment. There was a slight flush to their cheeks. Persé's gaze dropped down to Adhi’s lips imagining what it would be like to kiss them and then back up to his eyes.

There is no darkness in love. Only hope.

Suddenly his hands were wrapping into Adhi's hair, pulling them closer and then Adhi's lips were on his, kissing him fiercely. He responded instantly, throwing his own arms around Adhi as they kissed hungrily. Persé pulled Adhi against him until there was little room between them, so that they both lost track of where they ended and began.

Persé pressed his lips hard onto Adhi's, trying desperately to convey every single emotion he felt. He wasn't sure how much time had passed when they separated but Adhi still held him close, resting their head against Persé chest. Persé stroked his hand gently along Adhi's neck and shoulder. It felt right, somehow, like the world had settled into a new and better order. When Adhi pulled away, Persé found himself smiling.

"Come on," Persé whispered, feeling light and almost giddy with happiness. "Let's go home."

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW the changes that brought this in Persé s life with Adhi

Kahara likes this.
  12. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Precious, precious reading time today; I really liked the time spanning aspect of your Tales, and feeling the immense /history/ of the Temple, here in its spawning stage.

Anakin, you're so sensitive and right on the money here. Obi-Wan cannot be fooled for long, and his heart is always in the right place ... [face_love]

Oh, and to read An-Paj's name once more!!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    Kahara likes this.
  13. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    It wasn't meant to turn into a romance story but somehow we ended up there... Glad you enjoyed it :D

Aww, thank you so much for spending that time reading my stuff [face_blush][face_love]

Thank you! It's a lot of fun dipping in and out of Temple history, although this week went a little off track!

Definitely! He adores Anakin even though he can't say it..

To me An-Paj and Leona are canon healers and so I love using them in my stuff because of all the memories and stories that go with them.

14. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Just had to start with the beginning set; as mentioned by other reviewers it makes a wonderful prologue for all these tales of Jedi! :D

Always wondered what line of thinking led to that choice that was apparently made. ;) So basically, What Could Go Wrong I'm Sure It's Fine. :p

@};- Love the sense of ancient-ness that the Temple already has at this really early (compared to the PT) stage. And it's nice to see Kira there too! :)

Aww, this is just so warm and fuzzy! :) I really like to think that Obi-Wan found the Temple to be a home and refuge, even if that gets very sad later on.

Everyone on these boards is just killing me dead with Vader's horrible awful murdery choices this year, and it is Unfair. Can I take you all to Fanfic Court to sue for emotional damages? :_| Seriously, the lightsaber is "cold and comforting"? Gross! By which I mean, so devastating and perfect. And it's also the grim but totally on-point choice to show this moment in the building's long history as it intertwines with the fortunes of the Jedi as a whole.

This was a great ending note, with Luke's optimism for what they can achieve in this place even in spite of all that happened there. =D=

And the most recent batch is fantastic! I really enjoyed the setup that it's about Jedi bureaucrats (somebody has to file all the paperwork, of course). The names being inspired by the word prompts was really fun too -- Persé and Adhi! :D

Poor guy; you really captured how his need to be responsible and live up to his ideals of "what a Jedi should" makes Persé tie himself in knots over every single thing. But it's also because he really does want to accomplish good things, which makes him very endearing.

[face_love]
    Loved this little moment both for the romance and for the fact that it's Adhi that actually helps him be calm. Serenity doesn't have to come from disconnection.

It's really nice to see that Adhi is able to bring him out of his Jedi Phrasebook shell, both metaphorically and by just plain getting him away from the Temple for a bit. The quick change from "A Jedi should think about how his actions might affect the good standing of the Order" to "A Jedi seeks out new experiences" was a favorite moment too. ;)

Oh dear, no wonder he's so stressed! [face_rofl] Trying to paperwork away the Kenobi and Skywalker Catastrophe of the day is a truly thankless task.

Yay! Finally! :D It's really impressive that you manage to compile a whole slow-burn-romance's worth of longing into such a short space.

Just lovely -- I really liked that we got to see a bit more of Adhi's uncertainty too in the section right before this, but in the end both they and Persé are willing to take a chance on a romantic relationship. @};-

pronker likes this.
  15. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Aww, thank you! The whole thing has been a lot of fun to dip in out of time periods and try more canon character than I normally do.

Nimt Shrof always makes the bad choices for the 'right reasons'. According to my 'verse he's also responsible for the "Jedi shouldn't have relationships" thing too, given that he decided the whole thing should be written in poetry.

You are the very first person to comment on the fact that their names linked straight to the prompts (and Ettie too - for Ecetera). It was probably the funnest way of linking the prompts together.

Also so happy you picked up on that change in dialogue as Persé finally lets go.

Aww, thank you. Thing is, it was never supposed to be a romance but then managed to turn into one...

I'm so happy you've read them all :) Means a lot :D

Kahara likes this.
  16. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Okay, so I have a confession. I thought I'd posted last weeks ones. I even posted about it in the original thread...but apparently I only dreamt that I had...

So...without further ado.

Kahara likes this.
  17. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Week 10 - When it all comes together

46. Catalyst (Ornery)

Quin listened to the babble around her with increasing concern. The talk was of nothing but trade routes and which planets presented the greatest pickings in the new reign of the Empire. She heard some disconcerted mumblings about how non-human species were treated, but they were quickly shushed. Quin took another sip of her drink and let the muzzy feelings of the inebriation dissipate through the Force. It was a neat trick her mother had taught her, and one she still relied on even though being a Jedi, or rather the child of a Jedi, was a dangerous thing to be.

There was the sound of shouting on the other side of the bar and Quin glanced up to see two Stormtroopers enter. One of them pointed at a Twi'lek woman with blue markings who stood up abruptly, knocking over a glass on the table next to it. The Storm Trooper raised his hand and struck her. She fell to the ground. A few people looked away when one of the Storm Troopers kicked her. Quin shifted in her seat, her hand going to her blaster but a hand fell on her shoulder.

“Not unless you want to end up like her.” She looked up to see a grim-faced Zabrak. “Troopers around here are mighty ugly if you cross them.”

Quin nodded and went back to her drink, hoping no-one could see the way her hand clenched in anger in her lap.

47. Briefing (Prudent)

"No," Kithera stated flatly. "I'm not doing it. I'm not crossing the Empire. Our current position is too vulnerable."

"Our position became vulnerable the moment the Empire rose to power," Quin said, frowning. "We're Jedi. Or rather you were a Jedi and I’m your child so we are all in danger."

"I don't think it's a wise course of action.”

“Why not?” Quin asked, fidgeting.

“Because you’re asking me to help you break into a well-guarded camp to liberate the prisoners.” Kithera took a swig of her caff and then scowled at the now empty mug. “I love your righteousness, Quinn but if we get into trouble we take down a whole lot of other people. Essie and the children, Nicco’s and Bryer’s business - all of us are in danger."

“If we don’t fight against them, then we’re implicit in what they do to others,” Quin said, her face heating with anger.

Quin watched her mother close her eyes for a long moment. The Force rippled and curled around them and then Kithera opened her eyes, her face grim.

“We can’t get caught,” she said softly.

Quin grinned. "Trust me. We won't get caught."

48. Plan (Tetchy)

"You weren't counting on the nexu, were you?" Kithera asked, eyebrows raised. Quin bit her bottom lip and glanced back through the electrobinoculars before sighing. In the distance the nexu growled and paced the perimeter fence, obviously bored and hungry.

"No I was not," she said honestly. "Luckily, it's only reconnaissance," Quin said after a moment, brightening suddenly. "On the day it’ll be easy enough with the right tools."

“And the right tool is?” her mother asked, eyes narrowed.

"Zallie," Quin said, her eyes still glittering. I’ll just tell her that there is a grumpy Nexu and the only other option is me." She paused then added in an undertone, "Or, better yet; the twins."

“Also, have you thought of what you’re going to do with all these prisoners once you defeat the Nexu, kill the guards?" Kithera asked. "Or even if these are the type of people you want released? Sometimes the Empire locks up actual criminals."

Quin shrugged. "I checked. Everyone in here is a political prisoner of the Empire. As to what to do with them, I don't yet know. I can figure that out once we've released them. Or you know it'll be like you always say..." She trailed away.

"What do I always say?" Kithera's voice was skeptical.

"Whatever the Force wills..." Quin said as she moved to avoid the playful slap from her mother.

49. Problem (Daring)

"Remind me why we can't use something bigger than hip blasters?" Quin asked, ducking behind into a nook to avoid the blaster fire from the platoon of Storm Troopers.

"I think my more traditional weapon is going to put us right in the line of the Inquisitors," Kithera grunted, returning fire.

"'Cos this isn't going to put us on every radar," Zallie muttered, shooting a dark look at her younger sister.

"No kidding," Kithera growled, shooting an attacker with one hand while she reloaded. The trooper went down Kithera sighed and turned towards them. "You're both acting like a couple of toddlers," she said, voice dripping with exasperation. "And you need to learn how to communicate, so we get through this without dying!"

Zallie and Quin exchanged looks. "Yes, Mum," they chorused together.

"Alright," Kithera replied rolling her eyes. "I take out the security system. Zallie use your new Nexu friend to scare the troopers who are a little slower to run in their armour and Quin-" she paused. "Make sure there are no troopers left who can identify us..."she trailed off when she saw the looks on their faces. She frowned. "What's wrong?"

Quin was grinning ear to ear as Zallie just shook her head. "Nothing mum it's just...you have seemed a little lost since the Empire took control but…But not today."

“Yeah,” Zallie added with a smile and a shrug. “Being a scoundrel suits you.”

50. Outcome (Jovial)

Quin listened to the babble around her and sipped her drink and let the muzzy feelings of the inebriation dissipate through the Force. The prisoners were talking quietly as they milled around the long, broad flats around The Bower. Quin could smell the barbeque going and see the trestle table slowly filling with food. The family was moving slowly through the crowd, checking on injuries, noting down names and chatting. Soon Bryer and Nicco would find new identities for the former-prisoners and work on the far reaches of the outerrim where they were less likely to come to the attention of the Empire.

"You did a good job," Kithera said, as she stopped next to Quin. She filled Quin's glass from her pitcher of beer, smiling. "And I am very proud of you."

The other girl took it gratefully, draining half its contents. "It's not over."

Kithera shook her head. "No, but for the moment lets just celebrate this small victory."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Super action and teamwork with Kithera and her kids. :) Celebrating small victories and when it all comes together... sweet! :) :D

19. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I always like the reference to one of the ugliest consequences of the regime.

Nice nod to the Empire's /sometimes/ justifications.

Yes, let's! Well done stitching the segments together.[face_clown]

Kahara likes this.
  20. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Glad you enjoyed it! It was nice to write the family together again and Quin is quite a bit different from her siblings so that's fun too.

Thanks. Definitely something that I'm planning on touching again sometime in the future.

Thanks. I've ended up doing that quite a bit with this set of drabbles, sometimes it works and sometimes not so much. I think this time it worked :)

Kahara likes this.
  21. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Week 11 - Oracle

51. The Gift (Forevermore)

It was strange, Nimt Shroff thought as he laid his stylus down, that some Jedi got the gift of prophecy and others got nothing. Master Huy was a perfect example. The human Jedi Master seemed to attune to the Force in the same way that Hutts took to crime. Huy seemed to find it burdensome and often complained that it did nothing but make her worry about a future she couldn’t control. That seemed to be the way of humans though, Nimt thought to himself, they would always complain about the gifts they were given.
    He tutted aloud. Huy didn’t even want them written down, too scared someone in the future would misconstrue what she had seen.

Shroff smiled to himself. Luckily he did not have the same fears. He wrote down any that she told him, content in the knowledge that someone in the far distant future would thank him for his service.

Sometimes he even wrote them as poetry.

52. The Future (Unbeknownst)

Lightening coursed through his fingers, throwing blue sparks high into the air. In front of him, the brown-skinned Jedi Master he didn't recognise tried desperately to control the lightning that arced towards him. Luuko tried to turn his head to see where it was coming from, but couldn't move. With a sick churning feeling, he realised that it was happening again. The Force had, for its own reasons, thrown him somewhere in the future to witness an event he could not control nor prevent.

"I have the power to save the one you love." Luuko heard the words but they weren't his voice. There was a young man standing near by, his brow creased as if he stood on a threshold. Luuko felt the Darkside bubble through him as he stared at the young man. Then the Force shatter into red, blood soaked shards.

Lukko woke bathed in sweat with tears streaming down his face, his heart pounding and his breath shallow. He sat up, wiping his eyes and shaking his head. There was no point telling anyone. No-one would believe him - after all who would ever think that there were still Sith Lords in the Republic?

53. The Warning (Heretofore)

The smell of smoke and alcohol soaked patrons assaulted her senses. Across from her the rodian sat, his large smoke blue eyes narrowed.

Quin closed her own eyes and breathed in the Force, letting it fill her entirely.

In her mind the Force laid out the events on the table just like a dealer setting out its hand. First the rodian’s own hand - two hearts, four princes and a diamond. She saw the card she would pick up, a fourth queen with which to make her house. She saw herself place down the splayed trick, a look of triumph on her face. Saw the way her opponent slammed the card onto the table. The way he drew his blaster. She saw how he would fire first and ask questions later.

Quin opened her eyes.

"Fold."

54. The Curse (Notwithstanding)

The dust was more like a wall than a cloud. It bowled everything in its path over, pushing down buildings as if they were made of children’s blocks, ripping ancient trees up by the roots and flinging them forwards in one hellish tornado of death and destruction. He saw families wiped out in seconds, unaware of the fate until it was too late. The dust was followed by an inferno that vaporised the oceans and sucked all the oxygen from the atmosphere. Then the planet was gone leaving nothing but rock and cold, metallic moon.

Ferus blinked and clutched at the wall. He wasn’t a Jedi or a rebel, he reminded himself. The dry desert of the outer-rim planet he called home bore no resemblance to the lush green forests and ancient cities of his vision.

He’d taken only a few steps towards where his sleeping children lay when the wave of death hit him; smashing through the Force like a million voice crying out in terror.

Then nothing but silence.

55. The Sceptic (Henceforth)

"Prophecies are silly," Tara said as she slotted the datapad back into its space on the shelf. "Most of them are either in unreadable and quite frankly awful poetry and the rest are made up"

"So you don't believe in them at all?" Jedi Master Davin Dor asked as he passed her another volume. It was thick, bound in black leather, but had no title and no author or publication date.

Tara took it from him, her fingers settling softly on the worn cover. She knew it was Nimt Shrof without having to crack the cover. She also knew it would be full of illegible, hackneyed prose.

"No, I guess I'm a sceptic." She shrugged, returning the books on their shelf without making her disgust about the author clear. Master Dor had heard it many times before. "I mean people looks for facts to fit their theories. Everything fits if you look hard enough."

"So no chosen one for you?" Davin asked, a slight grin on his face. "No single entity to bring balance to the Force? I never had you pegged, padawan-mine, as such a sceptic."

Tara's mouth twisted at his teasing. "Make your own destiny," she said after a minute choosing to respond more seriously to her Master's flippancy. "Otherwise if all you're doing is following a prophecy, is it really your fault when it all goes wrong?"

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great sets about Kithera and her children battling the empire and Jedi and their visions

23. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Thank you :D Glad you enjoyed them :)

Kahara likes this.
  24. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Week 12

57. Resolute (Boulder)

The Initiate Masters had said that a Jedi must stand firm as a rock at sea, resolute amongst danger. Qui-Gon had frowned when they’d first said it, thinking it was just another teaching. He certainly hadn’t thought they’d Master had meant it so literally. Around him the waves crashed, the salt spray etching his skin. He was the last initiate left. The others had given up long ago, but he stood as the water lapped at his boots with the rising tide. He shivered, almost too cold to stand. On the beach the other initiates were calling his name. He could see Master Eschalan preparing his hovercraft to come rescue him. Qui-Gon stood resolute, he would not bend or yield. That was the way of the Jedi.

60. Lesson (Gravel)

Dooku waved a hand around at the quiet stillness of the forest in which they stood. “We have forgotten what rocks and plants still know – we have forgotten how to be – to be still – to be ourselves – to be where life is here and now. When you slow your actions, you open your mind.”

Dooku stared at Qui-Gon down his long aquiline nose, giving the sense of being disappointed in his padawan without even having to voice it. Despite his size, Qui-Gon felt small.

59. Shrapnel (Flint)

“You! You are responsible for my father’s death,” Xanatos spat. “I wish I’d never been given to the Jedi. I wish you’d never been my master.”

The words stung; tiny missiles that

tore through his heart like shrapnel. It took him a moment to find his voice, but when he did, his tone was calm. He was a pillar of stone, standing tall and calm in the face of Xanatos' raging inferno.

“Your father is responsible for his own death, not I.”

The young man laughed. The sound was sharp and cruel. “You think that's an excuse for what happened? That it somehow makes everything okay? No. Your actions killed him. They took away my father’s life. His only chance at being happy again."

Qui-Gon shook his head, though his heart clenched in pain with each shake. He opened his mouth and closed it again.

“See! You have nothing to say! No words to defend yourself,” Xanatos hissed.

Qui-Gon nodded. “You are right, Xanatos. I cannot defend you from your own delusions.”

He turned and walked away, his heart nothing but a stone in his chest.

56. Soul (Pebble)

Qui-Gon felt as if parts of himself were chipping away. Slowly but surely, the teachings of the Order, their rigid structures were sloughing off; smoothing the edges of his soul. It was, he considered, probably the way things should be.

It had started with his first padawan, when the rules hadn’t worked quite right for the child Feemor was, and the Jedi he’d become. Adhering to Code had been too much for his second padawan and Xanatos’ fall had made Qui-Gon’s soul brittle and worn.

He’d tried to wall himself off but Obi-wan had persistently battered at his defences wearing them away until he’d let the boy in. He smiled at Obi-wan, who grinned back.

Another rough part of Qui-Gon’s soul smoothed away.

58. Flower (Loam)

Qui-Gon watched Obi-wan say goodbye to Anakin’s child and turn his back towards the desert. He could feel Obi-wan opening up to the possibilities of the Force in a way he never had as a padawan, or even once he’d become a Master. It has seemed that he’d need to move past his adherence to the tenants of the Council to find his true connection to the Force.

Qui-Gon turned and stared out over the horizon, waiting for his now-grown padawan to catch up. Now Obi-wan had made his peace, Qui-Gon feel him starting to bloom like a flower bud finally opening to face the sun. He wondered what would happen when he did.

“Master Qui-Gon?” Obi-wan’s voice was full of tender hopefulness. His heart leapt. Now Obi-wan could see him, the real teaching could begin.

Qui-Gon turned, trying for what he’d always called his ‘caring master’ expression, but failing to conceal his excitement.

“Well, Qui-Gon said, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. “I was beginning to think you’d never come.”

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Touching and beautiful those views on the different parts of Qui-Gon's life

Kahara, UltramassiveUbersue and Kit' like this.