main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Tales from Vandor by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Giovs, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Hey everyone, just found a book entitled "Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor" written by Jason Fry.

"Follow an adventure in the Star Wars universe in this first-person narrative from one of the characters in Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Learn about the smugglers, scoundrels, gangsters, pirates, and plunderers from Solo: A Star Wars Story--including Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Lando Calrissian--in this unique in-world journal straight from Fort Ypso on the snowy mountain planet of Vandor.
    "

It's listed as a 128 pages book.
    Here's the link from Amazon Brazil: https://www.amazon.com.br/Solo-Star-Story-Tales-Vandor/dp/0794441025?__mk_pt_BR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=Wookiee&qid=1530236529&sr=8-18&ref=sr_1_18

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  2. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    This one was announced on starwars.com when they announced the Solo publishing slate right before the film's release but we haven't heard anything about it since. I love Jason's writing and think this could be a really fun read - really looking forward to it.

crazyewok likes this.
  3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Happy to see Jason getting so much work.

Sad that Jupiter Pirates 4 won't be coming any time soon.

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Jupiter Pirates 4 is coming along, I swear!

5. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Might pick this up for my holiday next week.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    According to Amazon UK it's out Sep 11. (Hell of a release date..)

teamhansolo and Giovs like this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    On a recent episode of the podcast How Did This Get Made, the co-host Paul Scheer talked about being at an MTV event in the 90s where Jamie Foxx was promoting the release date of his next album by chanting "Jamie Foxx y'all, 9/11 y'all!" repeatedly on stage.

8. Darryl Cooper

Darryl Cooper Jedi Padawan

Feb 9, 2017
    Hoping this is as good as Jason’s other in-universe journal Rey’s Survival Guide.

If you’re still here Jason, you did a great job with The Last Jedi novelization! I hope you enjoyed working on it.

teamhansolo likes this.
  9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks! Yep, I'm still here. Excited for y'all to meet Midnight and hear some of the stories he has to tell.

Sinrebirth , kalzeth and DarthJaceus like this.
  10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Bumping this one as the book comes out Tuesday. To save you some Googling, Solo: Tales From Vandor is a replica journal published by Studio Fun, along the lines of Rey's Survival Guide and Bomber Command. The book's narrator is Midnight, the bartender at the Lodge. He’s seen a lot and has plenty of tales to tell about scoundrels such as Han, Chewie, Lando, L3, Beckett and others. Some of those tales are even true! (And some will make Wookieepedians cross with me.) Use this link and part of the proceeds will go to support the Jason Fry Beer & Mortgage Fund. We sincerely thank you for your patronage.

11. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
  12. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
  13. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Ooooh, this is out today? That would explain the call I got from my local bookstore. I'm a lot more excited to head down there now.

Darth Corydon and Daneira like this.
  14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    GASP!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  15. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    He did warn us.... !

@jasonfry - is there complete new stories in this book? Akin to the tall tales from the Legends of Luke Skywalker book from last year?

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    THAT'S JUST THE START BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Got this on the Amazon UK 'next order' list if I don't find it in town next time I'm there.

18. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    finally finished it (I was busy so I couldn't finish it the first day) I liked it a ton of deep cuts . I love all the stories about different characters thinking han's backstory is fake. makes him in the same vote as the joker and enoshima junko where there backstories can be multiple choice

19. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I can't believe he was made canon again. I love Shadows of the Empire.

Was Dash mentioned any more other than that one page that was posted?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  20. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    one other time

21. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    DASH?!

With one word, I am now compelled to purchase this book post haste.

22. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    A lot of interesting tidbits in this book.

- It introduces a new Grand General by the name of Ormeddon. After Beckett and his gang steal a bunch of supply ships from the Berullian Checkpoint, three different Imperial Advisors lodge complaints and the Emperor personally dispatches Ormeddon to fix things. However, that was their goal all along; Beckett steals the Grand General's shuttle and uses its clearance codes to infiltrate Foundry(!), where they steal experimental shield generators for sale to the Crymorah. That's a doubly fun reference, since not only is Foundry a Legends planet, but it was described thusly in its first appearance: "It is one of the most heavily guarded worlds in the galaxy - some say its defences equal those of the late, lamented Death Star. The Governor is fond of boasting that Foundry is impregnable. Neither Starfleet nor lone spy could even reach this planet alive, much less escape from it."
    - There's a few sneaky references to Han's Legends background and his cut role from ROTS. A clearly crazy smuggler named Tregga who wears a faulty brain implant that calculates odds believes that Han is lying about his background; that he was actually raised by a band of wandering galactic traders, was on Kashyyyk during the Clone Wars, and even provided the Jedi a clue as to how to find General Grievous. He and Chewie allegedly later worked on planets like Coonee and Saberhing. The guy's clearly nuts but it was fun to see those events mentioned in a wink-wink, nudge-nudge kind of way.
    - Lando also gets some fun Legends references. A disapproving father kept him from marrying into a mining fortune on Drogheda (the Queen of the planet was one of his exes in the original Marvel comic run), and he once "defeated an evil sorcerer who dedicated his life to killing him," although no one believed that story, especially when Lando acknowledged that said sorcerer could fit into the palm of his hand. Lando also refers to L3 as "Vuffi." L3 claims that it's the Socorran word for "sweetheart," while Lando claims its an inside joke and you had to be there to understand it.
    - Bollux shows up! He appears at the Lodge on Vandor one day and shares a few stories, including that he was there when Han blew up a Corporate Sector prison to free Chewie and blew up a battalion of war droids belonging to Xim the Despot. As was the case in Legends, Bollux is now working for an Outer Rim university to track down Xim sites and artifacts, and he's chasing up a lead on Vandor.
    - Some more rumours on Han's origin. One person claims his real name is Han Suul, a descendant of the Legends pirate Dalla Suul, and the recruitment officer misheard him when typing in his info. Another claims that Solo really is his surname, and he's a descendant of Corellian Prince-Admiral Jonashe Solo (the handwriting makes it look like there's no space there, for anyone who notes that the Legends equivalent is Jonash e Solo).

23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Nice! More!!!!

Daneira likes this.
  24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Reading this thread puts a big smile on my face. I stick almost exclusively to the comics (financial and time reasons), but I'm considering getting this book and break the rule.

Thank you Jason Fry!

jasonfry likes this.
  25. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    Dash Rendar- Mentioned as one of Han's smugglers buddies who also attempts the Kessel Run. Picture #1 Picture #2

Bollux- The droid from the Han Solo Adventures is mentioned to have been on Vandor with the other droids.

Vuffi Raa- The old droid from the Lando comics is recanonized as a nickname for L3. Picture

BigAl6ft6, Hopeless, SWpants and 3 others like this.