main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Tales of the [Jedi, Empire] series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RafSwi7, Dec 23, 2021.

1. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011

Do you think this might be something directly based on old comic series or something new, just bearing the same name (bascally some new series about ancient Jedi)?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    AusStig and MercenaryAce like this.
  2. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    I'm personally going to hold off on getting carried away with this news until there is some kind of official announcement. Though this does seem a little more legitimate then the average leaker saying 'this and this is happening' without any evidence at all it still at the same time is coming from a poster on Reddit. 9 times out of 10 these people are either completely making stuff up or misinterpretting it due to not having the full story.

JediBatman, AusStig, Daneira and 6 others like this.
  3. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Can’t wait for it to get announced only to get cancelled 6 months later!

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Probably a new animated series.

Either set in the Old Republic, inspired by the comic series (thought not a direct copy its storyline), or an anthology series about the Jedi across various eras.

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Or set in the High Republic

Or Luke's academy

Dont assume the title or logo will connect to Legends

Personally Im betting on High Republic series

6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Well they copied the name and font from the comic series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so its not a far out idea to think that its likely going to be a canon series inspired by those dark horse comics.

I would prefer an Old Republic series over High Republic or Lukes Jedi Academy. More freedom in story telling and also deadly saber duels are more common in the Old Republic.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    With High Republic doing well and a KOTOR remake on the horizon, it's entirely plausible that a new Tales of the Jedi series is in the works. That said, I also don't see any reason to think this isn't a hoax, given the sources or lack thereof. Reserving judgment for now.

(FWIW, I'll second the people in the social thread saying that if this is legit, it might be an even better fit for a Star Wars anime than Visions was.)

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If it turns out to be an anthology series I can totally see the premiere (or at least an early series arc) being a reworking of TCW's Utapau arc.

All they'd have to do is rename it to 'Obi-Wan and Anakin in Crystal Crisis: A Clone Wars Story

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean if they wanna have animation control a whole new era good on them....I've been tired of animation being the B point to get from A to C

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I really hope this is using the OG TOTJ.

In fact, I hope it would be showing Luke and Ben(and/or Leia) as a framing story, and the tales being told via holocron. Much like the comics were supposed to have been.
    [​IMG]
    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

cthugha, MercenaryAce and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Oh really. Were the old TotJ comics basically people from the OG's era finding holocrons and viewing what they said?

13. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    They didn't have a framing story. But the crawl text said these were stories from the holocron. And it was published after Luke and Leia recovered the Tedryn Holocron from Palpatine's citadel on Byss in Dark Empire.

Anyway, this prompted me to dig this out of the deep storage of my personal Jedi Archive.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

AusStig, cthugha, Slater and 4 others like this.
  14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah....I definitely want this to be true...but it seems weird to me. Like, why in the world would they announce far off shows like Lando or Droid Tails, or Rangers - which according to that one video was still in initial planning phases when canceled months after it was announced - and not announce this one, which judging by the other shows on the box is apparently coming next year. There weren't even rumors of anything like this, unless the High Republic show rumors were simply the source misidentifying ToTj as High Republic.

Plus, to a lesser extent, it seems odd to me that they didn't do the kind of stylized title card the new shows and movies tend to have.

I mean, these aren't proof this is fake - Book of Boba Fett also wasn't announced at investor's day despite coming before many shows that were (apparently the investor's day team didn't even know about it) and squadrons came out of nowhere only being announced the month before it came out, plus the title card could just be paying homage to the comics - but it seems too odd and too good to be true to me.

That's like happened to maybe one show, and one of the movies. Why are people acting like it is a universal constant? I mean, this isn't a star wars videogame we are talking about.

Indeed. It is even more obvious with one of the covers with yellow markings
    [​IMG]

It feels a very deliberate choice, especially in regards of how different it looks from all the other show and movie titles we know about, which have a more stylized look to them with lots of embellishment. Same with the High Republic titles.

So yeah, if this is legit, I cannot see it as being anything but a deliberate callback to the comics - not a direct adaptation, most likely, but something with a similar premise at least.

If they were doing a High Republic or Luke's Academy or jedi knight anthology show, I would expect one of those fancier fonts. Plus, every different names for the first two - namely, either just High Republic or something light related for a High Republic story, or Jedi Academy, young jedi, or something like that for something about Luke's academy.

To do otherwise would be like naming a show Knights of the Old Republic and having it be about the prequel era jedi. Or a show called Book of Boba Fett, only it is about a rookie bounty hunter in the far future that uses Boba Fett's writings as a guide to bounty hunting. Or a show called High Republic that is actually about spice dealing in the Republic's underworld. Sure, the title fits in a vague sense, but it isn't what the viewers would expect by evoking those titles.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@MercenaryAce

Not to get too conspiratorial but it could always be Lucasfilm was forced to make those announcements for the investors when in reality they really like keeping things way more close to the chest and Tales of the Jedi was one of those things.

I mean heck eve the Rangers of the New Republic annoucment felt like something they didn't wanna do given that the announcement had like ZERO information about it given the controversy of the potential star.

Maybe but at the end of the day the person they are advertising shows too aren't us crazy people online but the average audience member who they want to get the Disney + viewership in.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2021
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  16. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Man, it's been a while since I've thought about Tales of the Jedi. I even thought it was cool back in the day when they tied that into that now obscure 2000s Clone Wars tank game, if anyone else remembers that.

AusStig and MercenaryAce like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I do and i didn't know it was a Tie-In at the time.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    An excellent point, that does make a lot of sense. Again, I reminded of the interview where it was said the investor day team wasn't even informed of the Book of Boba Fett, so perhaps there were different teams with different goals - a marketing team taking every pitch they could find and announcing it as a show or film, and the actual creative teams trying to keep some secrets close to the chest.

Oh, believe me, I am aware - I always try to keep in mind the vast gulf that exists between places like this and the average viewer, hell, even the casual nerd who might like star wars and read some eu but not delve deeply into it - but this all feels very deliberate, so that occam's razor is in favor of it being connected to ToTJ. Again, the title card stands out to me, both because it is so similar to the comic's version, and because it is so different from that of any other star wars show in production. Like, that was the first thing I noticed, how much it didn't fit with anything else there.

Why would they break their current method of design and be so close to the old one if they are not connected and the title is just a coincidence?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@MercenaryAce

I mean from what a heard Lucasfilm likes being flexibility with their stuff hence why we even haven’t heard fork release dates for the other Disney + shows in development

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Old Republic jedi, here we come.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    After the last 22 months I can't blame any company for being cautious around release dates. Covid has demonstrated an ability to wreck any plans, any time, anywhere.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

oh yeah like I imagine on general Lucasfilm along with other companies would be in a different place had Covid not hit

like just in terms of content alone let alone the other stuff

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2021
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The other option is simple - which is what the MCU is doing - there's a schedule but it changes. It has to now.

Sinrebirth and Jid123Sheeve like this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

that works too and no one (well some folk) complain

seems like Lucasfilm wants to save face and just not say till they are 100 percent ready for...whatever reason

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Either way, it's clear comms that most people respond positively to. If it has that, most will go along with it.

For instance, formally Midnight Horizon, is out start of Jan 2022. But, as usual, for the UK, it is the start of Feb. Sucks but that's just how it is and I'm happier for Wordery to email me the new date.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021