main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Tales of the [Jedi, Empire] series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by RafSwi7, Dec 23, 2021.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I don’t need more Clone Wars material, and with her live action series coming next year I’m not sure I need half of this to be Ahsoka-centric. I’d guess this is Filoni throwing a bone to Ashley, Matt Lanter and co now that the characters are primarily going to be Live Action moving forward.

Still, Dooku/Qui Gon stuff will hopefully be worth it. And there’s a shadow of hope that they actually live up to the title in successive seasons with the Old Republic.

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Coming back and thinking more, the world building bits look interesting at least.

Based off leaked images and descriptions for instance, the Ahsoka baby episode shows off a fair bit of Tortuaga culture.
    (Though I am a bit disappointed that Shili looks like a generic forest planet, as its previous descriptions made think it was more based on the savanna, and star was animation has done cool, creative world designs before. Besides, it makes the Tortuaga stick out like sore thumbs, when their appearance is supposed to be camouflage.)

I am also intrigued by the designs of several groups Dooku seems to be running into in the concept art for his episodes. Since I am guessing these are pre-clone wars, we probably have some very different conflicts at play than we are used to seeing, and I am intrigued for it.

I particularly like the guys who look like futuristic versions of Napoleonic soldiers.

Also, coming a lot sooner than I was expecting.
    ....Which makes it all the more odd they aren't putting the trailer out there. Don't they want to build hype?

3. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    Officially released stills from the short that got shown at Celebration:

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Is that Ahsoka with a child?

5. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    It is Ahsoka as a child, with her mother.

AusStig likes this.
  6. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    Yeah this is a bit of a disappointment. I love the PT and I'm ok with this being set in that era, though some High Republic stuff would also have been cool. But why do 3 episodes have to feature Ahsoka? I love her but story been thoroughly told. If they focus on the PT era, I'd rather have them focus on lesser explored Jedi. Even the two Qui-Gon shorts I'm kind of meh about but that is mostly because I don't really like the character. But at least Dooku/Qui-Gon and Qui-Gon maybe even on his own is something we haven't yet seen on screen or in canon at all. The only one I'm really looking forward to is the one about Yaddle because apart from some short scenes in High Republic she is a blank slate in canon and that is what I honestly wish all the shorts would have done, expand on a Jedi we don't know much about. I do hope this is succesfull enough that they might consider making a second season, that maybe does this more.

7. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Seems like the story about fake Jedi trying to kidnap young Ahsoka and her meeting Plo Koon will be finaly animated, that I very like. Wonder how much retconned Johnston's novel will be this time with episode about Tano's encounter with Inquisitor. Looking forward to Dooku/Qui-Gon story.

8. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Hopefully it's the launching pad for stories dotted about the timeline.

Rey: Here's a story about Ahsoka...
    Gaaah!

AusStig, Golbolco and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Apparently, the trailer suggests that one of the shorts is an adaptation of a part of the Ahsoka novel, which makes me wonder if any of the Dooku episodes will come from the Dooku novel....

10. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I had assumed the show would have three Dooku/Qui-Gon episodes as well as the three Ahsoka ones, but it sounds like that's not the case. I appreciate the greater variety, but it also makes the overuse of Ahsoka stick out even more.

11. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    From what I read originally I was under the impression that 3 shorts would feature Ahsoka, one would feature Qui Gon/Dooku, one only Qui-Gon and one Yaddle but it seems that was wrong and the Yaddle one will also feature Qui-Gon. So 3 times Ahsoka and three times Qui-Gon during different times in their live. Qui-Gon is kind of cool but I really don't get the Ahsoka shorts. The story about how she became a Jedi might be fun but do we really need another Anakin/Ahsoksa Clone Wars adventure (wich we'll probably get since Matt Lanter is apparently involved)? And I definetely don't need an animated adaptation of parts of the Ahsoka novel which will in all likelihood be only remotely fateful to the novel and just seems like Dave Filoni can't let anyone else get away with telling a story about an important event in Ahsokas life. That novel already suffered due to the depiction of the Siege of Mandalore in Clone Wars being very different but I didn't really mind that because of course Dave should get to tell that story however he imagined it and not be beholden to some lines in a novel. But actively retelling an important part of the the main plot of the novel in animation is something entirely different and really unnecessary.

Golbolco likes this.
  12. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I hadn't realised Yaddle's episode also involved Qui-Gon, that explains it. I wonder what the link will be there.

13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's more likely that the novel itself drew on unused scripts/notes for Ahsoka's post-Order 66 life, and those original ideas are what Filoni is going back to here; as we've seen, he doesn't seem interested in keeping continuity with the novel.

Golbolco and MercenaryAce like this.
  14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I thought it was three Ahoska and three Dooku episodes.

I saw someone say that Yaddle seems to be in the Sith shrine from some of the cut clone wars episodes, so we might get a condensed version of that arc.

Ah yes, that does make sense.

Still, there might be some stuff from Dooku Jedi Lost in his episodes - like, the bits where he is fighting the droids and the guy in armor might be related to Dooku's conflict with his brother (admittedly I am going by descriptions and have not read the book itself - do Mace Windu show up in that? And do we get descriptions of what the Serenno battledroids look like?)

Golbolco likes this.
  15. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Well, i'm disappointed at this, as i thought they were capitalizing on the upcoming KOTOR remake to animate some other Old Republic stories, especially those that are relevant to the KOTOR story (the TOTJ comic series), i was hyped to see the characters animated and voiced, something made that wasn't necessarily Canon material, just tied to the TOTJ story as an adaptation, after all we did have Visions, and we keep getting HD cinematics for SWTOR, which are expensive, so i didin't see why they wouldn't do TOTJ, especially given the title design.

So yeah, i agree that this is a waste of that title, and in turn, of a good opportunity to expand on the Old Republic, even if it's no longer Canon.

It's also a disappointment that this is mostly focused on Ahsoka...

That said, i'm interested in the Dooku and Qui-Gon story, casting Liam's son is a good choice.

16. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    The trailer (why the hell haven’t they released it to the public?) suggested that the narrative of the season was going to be Ahsoka/Dooku at three major points across their lives, so I assume Qui-Gon will be in all of the Dooku eps. I...have fears for Yaddle.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  17. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I wonder if we will see any overlap with Dooku Jedi Lost?
    Master Kostana maybe?

Will we see any actual full Council scene's that could include Yula Braylon, Jor Aerith, Tera Sinube? Maybe some Jedi from legends like Micah Giett?
    Wouldn't count on it but if they really want to hit the feels all the way home, they should. That would be the peak of a show that already set itself up for high expectations.

18. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I’d love to see Yula Braylon.

19. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I'd be satisfied if they simply chose not to contradict it.

Another question, is Mace on the Council in the brief glimpse we, see? He doesn't appear any different than in the films, but it's probably a decade or more before TPM at least.

20. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Trailer rip: [Removed]

Obi Wan and Anakin have been given AOTC designs for one of Ahsoka's episodes. Obi got the mullet and Anakin the short hair.

The Dooku stuff looks super good.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2022
  21. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Is that Reaper as a Sith?

22. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Ok how does that work?
    Besides contradicting TCW the Brotherhood book covers the transition between AOTC and TCW.
    Is this like a record for how fast an EU work has been overridden by some other medium? :p

23. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Nothing in the trailer indicates contradictions with the book?

24. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    The post was partially meant in jest, though the Book does depict Obi-Wan as cutting his hair before adopting TCW style armor.
    Otherwise its probably fair to assume that shot in the trailer is probably misleading, and not actually related to the previous Ahsoka scene.

Its actually kind of cool to see Obi-Wans mullet in TCW animation.
    More jarring than Anakin's, but still interesting.

25. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Sixth brother, from the Ahsoka novels. Albeit with a different appearance than he had in the comics, but eh, not a retcon to have people change clothes

AusStig likes this.