main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Tales of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I remember reading about Freedon Nadd's apprenticeship -- spread out over various sources.

The wookiepedia article for Freedon Nadd is quite informative. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Freedon_Nadd

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Hmmmmmmmmm I never knew that THANKS!!!

3. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Also thanks for the fredom naad article that was informitive>

Tython Awakening likes this.
  4. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Oh, most definitely! The article clears up quite a bit, as you can see. Freedon Nadd was a Jedi who, like Exar Kun, fell to the darkside. When I went through those various sources, i was surprised to see how much has been created for Nadd's backstory.

"Freedon Nadd was seduced by the dark side. He apprenticed himself to a Dark Lord of the Sith. After his death, his tomb became a focus of dark side energy, and so his power passed from generation to generation."
    ―Arca Jeth — [​IMG]Listen (file info)[src]

[​IMG]

kalzeth likes this.
  5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    One of my favorite Youtubers dd a great video on said history if anyone is interested

6. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    @vncredleader
    So what are you suggesting with this? You are Naga Sadow. And as your apprentice, I am Freedon Nadd? :p :kylosaber:

MercenaryAce and vncredleader like this.
  7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I am SO on board with being Naga Sadow

8. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I just looked up that page (you've gotta love digital technology).

It sais on Page 1 about Ziost: 1) It's a neutral planet, 2) Descendants of the Exiled Jedi can conduct business on Ziost, 3) The Dark Lord of the Sith reigns on Ziost, 4) The Dark Lord of the Sith is the greatest among them.

So, if we view the Sith as a tribal-feudal society, the Dark Lord of the Sith is the de facto tribal leader of all the clans. That doesn't necessarily prevent a Sith Emperor from hiding in the shadows. The Jedi Exiles merged with the Sith. So, the Jedi Exiles likely had their own structure within the more tribal structure of the native Sith.

Page 1 then sais at bottom-right: "But with the death of Marka Ragnos, the sith have no dark lords...only contenders."

Page 2 jumps immediately into the rivalry between Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh.

So contextually, looks like the neutrality refers to the rivalry between Sadow and Kressh.

[​IMG]

There is also an Easter Egg with Simus on Page 2. Apparently Marka Ragnos had a few rivals in his day. Leave it to SW writers to frontload tons of backstory.

DarthJaceus and kalzeth like this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The first Essential Chronology says, "Some say the order of Jedi Knights began on the planet Ossus, though that claim has never been verified." It seems like Ossus was meant to be to Korriban as Ziost is to Coruscant.

10. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    I know that the jedi had a massive library on ossus

11. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I see what you are saying:

The first Essential Chronology was written and published before the pre-Ossus period was developed at a time when Kevin J. Anderson was still involved. That comparison works if it compares the Sith Empire to the Old Republic.

The Sith Academy was located on Korriban.

The Jedi Temple housing the Eye of Ashlanae and Jedi High Council was located on Ossus. The Great Jedi Library founded by Odan-Urr was located on Ossus as well.

[​IMG]

First Essential Guide to Chronology: Anderson and Wallace

(Look how much of the cover art is devoted to Tales of the Jedi!)​

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  12. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    good point

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  13. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Also Odan Urr guarded the temple for hundreds of years even after he became a force spirit.

14. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    @Jedi Knight88 We need to be careful about double-posting. We are supposed to edit our previous post. If it is too late to edit the post, then we need to wait for the next member to post. The mods will tell you the same.

That said......!

Odan-Urr is one of my favorite all-time characters!

[​IMG]

15. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    While later EU lore continued with Korriban being the Sith homeworld, Tython was introduced as the Jedi homeworld, denying Ossus its implied role in the (legends) canon.

AusStig likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Yeah I still think ossus deserved a mention

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I recall reading that Vietch had planned for Ulic to die on the dark side and KJA came up with the idea of Ulic getting redeemed. I wonder if Vietch's plan was that when Ulic killed Cay, Nomi would kill Ulic, and KJA replaced that with cutting Ulic off from The Force.

19. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Possibly, jedi don't kill their prisoners no matter what their crimes . quoting bastilla shan from kotor.

20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Speaking of the original Essential Chronology, I believe it also specifies that the Chosen One prophecy came from the very first Jedi, something that the New Essential Chronology removed, and which I don't think ever was repeated in an another EU source. An interesting glimpse at how KJA tried to reconcile some of the new stuff on the Jedi with the ancient Jedi stuff that was his provenance.

Though with the Prime Jedi and the symbolism of his image, I feel like that little tidbit would fit in with the new canon.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if, had the TPM novelization said "thousands of years" instead of "almost two thousand years", The Essential Chronology could have revealed Kun to be "Ruin".

Excellent observation about the similarity between the Prime Jedi and what the Old Essential Chronology says. It's also interesting that Ossus and Ach-to are both far away from the Galactic Core while Tython is in the deep core.

Dr. Steve Brule and kalzeth like this.
  22. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    HMMM I guess in that way Kun could of been ruin

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Interestingly, in The Saga of Nomi Sunrider, we see someone with samurai armor and a cordless red lightsaber while the narrator talks about Jedi turning to the dark side, and in Empire's End, one of the Dark Lord statued on Korriban is holding a cordless lightsaber, yet in Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire, the Jedi use corded lightsabers and the Sith use metal swords.

kalzeth likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Yes the jedi definitly used corded lightsabers as a matter of fact , in crosscurrent the novel by paul s. kemp he mentions using corded lightsabers during a battle between a jedi master and sith

kalzeth likes this.
  25. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Corded lightsabers are the one idea from TOTJ that I truly hate. Those stories take place "only" 5000 years before Yavin. Does that mean the Jedi ran around with batteries attached to their belts for like 20,000 years? I don't think that's a good idea at all.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018