main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Talk of TROS ending being re-filmed?.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by maranatusIX, Dec 16, 2021.

1. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Why don't they just let Ron Howard redo the entire ST like they let him do with SOLO?

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  2. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah, no, sorry. No director's cut nor any amount of extra footage is going to save this thing.

A new release wouldn't surprise me though, but I wouldn't expect anything substantial. I could easily see both the PT and ST getting an SE, along with the OT getting a new SE version at some point in the future.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    This may be an urban myth, but contractually, I believe the Lucas era films can't be altered/amended... but someone will probably fill me in.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't know what "talk" this thread's premise is based on, but redoing the ending of TROS is not going to actually happen. I'm not a fan of the ST, but the movies exist and that's that. Disney and LFL have moved on.

5. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I'm pretty sure the OP meant that the end of TROS was re-filmed, i.e. the one we saw in the film was not the one that was originally planned, as opposed the end of TROS will be re-filmed and they'll release some new version of it.

RetropME, Def Trooper and EHT like this.
  6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Ah, OK... the thread's premise isn't totally clear. Thanks. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  7. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, I think that may be the case. In my hypothetical scenario above though, I was thinking it would be a situation where Lucas would be asked if he'd like to create new editions of his films (or perhaps Lucas himself requests if he can). I know he's retired and focused on raising his kid and opening his museum, but I bet there's still a part of him in his conceptual mind where he'd enjoy revisiting the films once more.

Darth PJ likes this.
  8. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Contracts don't mean much. If Disney feels they can make money off of something then they'll do it.

If you can potentially make 80 million off of something even after paying out 40 million in a lawsuit against whomever, then that's still a profit.

9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    If they were in breach of a contract like that (which is largely hypothetical anyway), I’m pretty sure it would cost them more than £40M… and that’s if they ever got to the point of releasing it before they were sued. Besides, DLF could probably make more money (more easily) just off making original SW content, as I’m not sure how many more subscribers they’d get to Disney+ for PT/PT/ST special editions, when the interest seems to be in Kenobi, Andor, Ahsoka etc.

10. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    My point is, if they can still make profit even after any sort of lawsuit, then they have no real reason to not want to make that profit. They're not some warm and cuddly community; they're a business.

11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yep… I understand your point, I’m just saying that even Disney will draw the line at the prospect of being sued by George Lucas over one of their biggest franchises/products… I don’t think that would be good business. I think they’d be more inclined to reboot Star Wars wholesale. I can certainly see them doing that at some point.

12. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I assume they'd wait until after he's dead.

13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well yes… we’re speculating obviously… but if there is some contractual clause, it may indeed only be a contractual stipulation for George’s lifetime… sadly…

14. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Sadly? Nah, I'm looking forward to those 8K unaltered OT films.

Blame_It_On_Lucas likes this.
  15. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Lol this dude is out here salivating at the thought of George Lucas finally dying

FightoftheForgotten and EHT like this.
  16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I’ve got the laserdisc OOT versions and many of the original visual effects don’t age well (particularly the Battle of Yavin in ANH)… but if they could just get rid of the additional Jabba scene, restore Han ‘shooting first’ and remove ‘Jedi Rocks’, I’d be on board with that… but that’s another conversation.

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Lots of people say they want the unaltered OT in 4K or 8K, but they won't be as happy as they think when they see those floating matte boxes around TIE fighters in that resolution.

18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    You mean those forcefields?

lol

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The idealized “original cut” many want is something that would still, ultimately, have to be a re-edit to incorporate many of the updated visual effects and remastering that Lucas carried out concurrent to his more narrative-involved changes. Which is arguably ironic, as it’s basically just doing the same thing Lucas himself has done at that point.

Now, I do expect that, if there is some contractural issue here, that the original cuts could be released some day… but likely as simply alternative cuts to view and treated like film-historical presentations rather than as the official versions.

20. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    delete post please

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  21. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    It's ironic, but wouldn't be necessary had Lucas not torn it up in the first place. And I don't see film preservation and adding in CGI hijinks as "basically just doing the same thing".

They basically had to piece together the original GODFATHER, even going as far as copying and pasting backgrounds into shots, because the film had deteriorated so much. But Coppola stated he was very careful to remember what he wanted the film to look like back then as opposed to redoing it and making it look more like what he would have it look like at the time of the restoration.

I mean, if you saw one person who wanted to preserve the Mona Lisa as best as possible and then saw another person who wanted to put emoji style eyebrows on her... you wouldn't say that those two people are, "basically just doing the same thing" would you?

Unfortunately, since Lucas had no respect for his own film, stuff like this has become a necessity as far as film preservation goes. The despecialized editions were a good start. STARWARS4k77 took it one step further.

Why wouldn't I be happy to see the film as it originally looked? I think you underestimate how many people want to see this film as it existed back in 77. And it's not like, if I didn't want to see the mattes, I couldn't just watch a different version. Unlike George Lucas, I don't think that all the other versions that I don't like should be suppressed.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Sarge likes this.
  22. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Exactly that. And whilst I don't particularly think the extended Mos Eisley sequence (for example) in ANH to be flawless (far from it), I can appreciate what Lucas was trying to do in opening up that environment. If ANH reverted back to the pre-SE version, it would actually create continuity issues with The Mandalorian, and audiences would wonder why anyone would venture to Mos Eisley when Mrs Espa looks so cosmopolitan and thriving in comparison.

That's largely subjective. I think Lucas was trying to preserve the OT in the way he saw fit. I don't like all of it, but it's hardly 'CGI hijinks'.

That depends on whether one views the additions to the OT as 'emoji style eyebrows'. I wouldn't view them that way... even though there are a few additions I really dislike. Also, I'm sure Da Vinci had multiple versions of the Mona Lisa... as it was common for artists to work on several versions simultaneously. That there's only one hanging in the Louvre probably suggests that at some point Da Vinci decided on what was the 'best' version, and destroyed (or painted over) the others. This is something that's been done for centuries... I mean, it took The Beatles circa 50 years to release the original, original version of the Let It Be mix (or as it was then Get Back).

23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, the trick with the OT being compared to other works of art being "fixed up" and changed by amateur restorers is that the SEs are the work of the original artist - some idiot putting emojis on the Mona Lisa is one thing, but its another if its Da Vinci himself doing so, even if they're still emojis.

Don't get me wrong - there are parts of the original cut I think are vastly superior (especially Vader's lack of words when he turns on Palpatine), but there are also more than a few SE changes I like or think are genuine improvements, or visual updates to be grateful about.

Yes, Lucas seemed to have an addiction to tweaking the OT, sometimes seemingly without rhyme or reason. It's likely some left over "artistic trauma" from what happened to the original THX-1138 being edited without his permission or input that he is compelled to prove to himself would never happen to him again. But some of his adjustments had rational reasons behind them, others were what the industry does to update films all the time, and at the end of the day, it was *his* films he was making edits to.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  24. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Just tell people that the final cut of the OT is what is considered canon.

[​IMG]

I'm talking about film preservation. Did Da Vinci ever direct a film?

I seem to recall two other director credits for two of the movies he decided to "update". One of which was already dead and couldn't object.

And then you can say, "Yeah, but Lucas owned those films."

Okay, but 20th Century Fox owned Star Wars... which then means I hear, "Yeah, but Lucas directed that one."

How easily the rebuttals flip-flop.

25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well they *could*, but as they haven't suggests that DLF themselves see the SE as the template from which they are building out from (where applicable of course).

The comparison with Da Vinci was yours not mine... i.e. your reference to the Mona Lisa.