main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Talk of TROS ending being re-filmed?.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by maranatusIX, Dec 16, 2021.

1. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I used him as an example to show the difference between preservation and just making random changes to something. I didn't mean to imply that there's no difference between a painting and a film.

Plus, had I been alive then, I would have told Da Vinci to knock it off anyway.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think that’s the point. Even on Da Vinci appreciation boards (and they do exist), I suspect fans aren’t clamouring for his original versions to be made public, primarily because their frame of reference is the one that’s been hanging in the Louvre all these years. Give it another few years, and they’ll probably be more active Star Wars fans who have never seen the OOT compared to those that have seen the SE. And for the record, I fully support the OOT being made available, in some form, I just don’t believe Disney will support a model that necessitates them releasing multiple versions in differing formats… as they want to move away from physical media, and are not that keen on developing special features.

godisawesome likes this.
  3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Just a fun note here: Leonardo didn't paint the Mona Lisa for himself, it was a commission for a wealthy merchant friend of his. The one hanging in the Louvre isn't the one he was most happy with, it was the one the client received. There's some deeper history there as well, but Leo probably did a number of studies, and pre-paintings before undertaking the final piece.

And generally speaking, artists did go back into old works to fix them up or repaint them, or even repair them. There are stories of clients dying or divorcing, and the artist being asked to paint the figure out. Or in. In fact, lol, society has done this as well, as certain social mores become more or less fashionable over time, and the original paintings ended up being too offensive or unpleasing to those policing those morals. Because of the cost of materials, the rarity of especially paper, artists constantly painted over their works. And yes, people are always finding these older, hidden, works. Art fans clamor for all of this stuff because it's priceless, and can therefore fetch an amazing price at auction. (The modern art world is basically a racket)

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It also happened with classical music too… where composers would often rescore/re-orchestrate their own work, and then get it republished.

DarkGingerJedi and Sarge like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I love that you're on a first name basis with Leonardo da Vinci.

Fin McCool likes this.
  6. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    lol. Why would I call him by the town he was from? ;)

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Ha! It's the shortening of his name to "Leo" that I found amusing, though. "Yeah, my buddy Leo was a real great artist, you know." ;)

8. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    I'm waaaay late to this discussion, but I sincerely doubt any such contractual provision exists (or would be enforceable). Also, I suspect the urban myth cited above is conflating the Disney/LFL sale with the distribution rights 20 Century Fox held (perpetually for ANH, through early 2020 for the others), which is now a rather moot concern.

9. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I would LOVE a Special Edition of TRoS with these changes:

Have the Jedi Force Ghosts, especially Anakin, appear physically to assist Rey when she's blasting the lightning back at Palpatine, ala Harry's parents in Goblet of Fire or Goku with Gohan against Cell in DBZ.

Remove the kiss

Include Coruscant and Naboo in the ending montage of planets

TadoFett and Shadao like this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I doubt that any altered ending can salvage this movie. OTOH, there's nowhere to go but up in this case, so if true I'll certainly give it a watch.

Side note: Referring to Leonardo da Vinci as "Da Vinci" is comparable to referring to Jesus of Nazareth as "Of Nazareth." It's a name of birthplace rather than a family name; family names as we use them today didn't exist yet in those times.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  11. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    I don't think any special edition of TROS would fix that movie, but I do think it would sting a lot less if they actually got Ghost Anakin in and some proper PT planet representation.

12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This movie is beyond redemption.