main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Tatooine Messiah - A Dune / Star Wars crossover - updated 6/18

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    This is a great story. :D

You've integrated the two universes flawlessly. Beautiful job-- I love Dune, almost as much as I love Star Wars. :D There really are so many parallels between the two, you've convinced me utterly that Anakin could have been Muad'Dib.

I shivered at the Padisha Emperor Palpaltine, by the way. :p

Very touching, Luke's death. And the ghola Qui-Gon! And Obi-Wan training Jedi on the desert!

And I think the words 'terrible purpose' suit Anakin very well.

I love this. :D Although, I must admit to Leto II being my favorite character from Dune... ;)

Are you going to have Alia and the whole concept of being pre-born in here?

Update as soon as you can!

2. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    coughUPcoughcough

;)

3. Solo-Evenstar

Solo-Evenstar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2005
    I just found this and can't stop reading. Seriously.
    Incredible!
    -SE

4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Looks around hopefully...

Where'd it go?

Muad'Dib? Padme? Anybody home?:rolleyes:

5. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I've only been through three chapters, but I gotta ask, what happened to Leia? Wouldn't she be a good ruler and heir?

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Yodan She's very much alive! :p

Galactic_Girl I was thinking about that myself, even though I hate sand (it's so rough and irritating and it gets everywhere...)

Jazz_Skywalker She's definitely a melding of the two. :)

Healer_Leona I thought you'd like the ghola! ;)

PadwanKayla I love Dune as well, but nothing beats a galaxy far, far away! ;)

Bria921 I'll follow SOME of the Dune plot line. Just not saying which parts. [face_mischief]

Gina They've still got it, even in another universe! [face_laugh]

Crazydan Let's hope... [face_whistling]

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Thank you! [:D]

Lovely-in-Orange Stilgar is an interesting character to write. [face_thinking]

leiamoody Thank you! I've been reading the books all over again, and now I'm tackling some of the other books like Road to Dune. It's an interesting universe and I can never do it justice, but I can have fun trying! :D

Siaynoqsbride I loved Leto II as well. I don't think I'll be using Alia, as I just couldn't find a way to fit her in that pleased the muse. :p

Yodan I was editing... :D

Solo-Evenstar Thank you! [face_batting]

divapilot I'm here! :)

And a special thank you to lazy, who is anything but... :p

[b]Chapter 7[/b]

[i]?From the moment the Jihad had chosen him, he?d felt himself hemmed in by the forces of the multitude. Their fixed purposes demanded and controlled his course. Any delusions of Free Will he harbored now must be merely the prisoner rattling his cage. His curse lay in the fact that he saw the cage.? Frank Herbert, [u]Dune Messiah[/u] [/i]

~~~

The Lady Shmi looked serenely lovely as she made her way gracefully up the ramp to her ship. It was a façade, as were so many things in her life. Only with Anakin had she been able to let down her guard for even the briefest instant, to allow herself to be vulnerable. She felt her heart beat a little faster in anticipation, knowing that soon she would be reunited with her son. It had been years since she had seen him, three long years full of joy and heartache, to be exact. When last she had seen him, something inside of her had mourned the fact that the last vestiges of the boy she had known and loved had finally been erased by the man who had defeated an Emperor. It was the way of things, and necessary for her son?s survival, but her mother?s heart could not help but ache at the knowledge ? and the loss.

Despite the wishes of the Sisterhood, she had borne a son. Now he was the wildcard, the great unknown in the vast schemes of a universe. Shmi had sensed her son?s potential, known there was the promise of a great destiny in the boy. He had surpassed even her wildest expectations, and yet, Anakin had always known. She remembered him as a toddler, looking at her solemnly, his big eyes full of wisdom far beyond his years, as she instructed him in the Bene Gesserit ways. He had absorbed every single lesson with an eagerness that had never faltered. Sometimes, she felt he was devouring the knowledge he knew he would need, and that he sensed he would need it soon, while still a youth.

His insight had served him well.

Now Anakin was an Emperor, the dynasty of the Skywalkers scarcely begun with his ascension to the throne. Her son, however, had revealed that the Skywalkers would rule the galaxy for thousands and thousands of years, for he had Seen it. The Visions were both a gift and a curse, Shmi thought. His startling ability to see all that was and [i]would be[/i] was terrifying to the Sisterhood. They still cursed her very name for bringing him into existence before they were ready, and outside their realm of control. [i] Shmi Skywalker has destroyed the Sisterhood?and the galaxy with it,[/i] they whispered along the corridors of their schools.

Let them curse her, she thought with a sly smile. In the end, Shmi had gotten her way. She bowed her head,

7. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    Cool update. I wonders if there are any more reasons for why Shmi came here... Thanks for the PM.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Most of the younglings in the crèche had been rescued, thanks to Anakin?s efforts,

Oh yay!!! Thank the Force!!! Love the idea of Whie being with Obi-Wan. [face_love]

Again, there was that troubling note of awe in his voice. It seemed better suited to a man speaking of his god rather than his leader, Anakin thought grimly. The future seemed to tremble before him, with all of its portents and possibilities. He could almost hear the flag of Skywalker flapping in the breezes of a million worlds, his proud emblem undulating over a million alien lands. How many would die to plant his flag in the soil of those worlds? How many would he let die before he brought it all crashing down around him? He shook the troubling thoughts away as a dog shakes off water, casting them off, sending them far away.

I love this passage, gorgeous descriptions.

9. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Yes, an update! :D Beautiful!

10. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    I'm so glad I found this. Lovely and elegant, very reminiscent of the Dune books.

I especially like your take on Shmi. She always seemed regal to me, even as a slave. There was always a dignity about her.

11. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm wondering, will Leia ever show up in this one? I'm a sucker for Leia and the Solos.

12. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    An update! And it had my favorite character ever, Whie, in it too. :D

I loved it and can't wait for more.

When you?re done with this story you'll have to post a comprehensive guide to this universe. Or a prequel. Yeah, a prequel sounds good... :p

13. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    When last she had seen him, something inside of her had mourned the fact that the last vestiges of the boy she had known and loved had finally been erased by the man who had defeated an Emperor. It was the way of things, and necessary for her son?s survival, but her mother?s heart could not help but ache at the knowledge ? and the loss. Poor Shmi. :_| But I love how you convey her strength. I really liked your contrast throughout this chapter between Anakin and Muad'Dib as almost completely different identities. Beautiful, rich descriptions too.

14. Galactic_Girl

Galactic_Girl Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2005

I agree with Yodan. A comprehensive guide would a bit helpful, but a prequel would be even better. :D And yes, just why exactly is Shimi here, the reasons are vague indeed. [face_thinking]

Wonderous! =D=

15. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This is amazingly good! One of your best, IMO. Loved the way you intergrated all of Dune and Star Wars and I'm really surprised at how well it does mesh.

Great, great job. Please put me on any PM list for this one. WOW!

16. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Crazydan All will be revealed...in time. :p

Healer_Leona I liked Whie a lot, so I wanted to include him here! :D

Golden_Jedi Thank you! [:D]

divapilot
    Yes, she has an innate dignity about her, and I added a good dash of Jessica to her as well. ;)

SilSolo We shall have to see. [face_whistling]

Yodan Get thee away from me oh plot bunnies! :eek:

Lovely-in-Orange Paul always seemed such a tragic figure to me, no less so than Anakin. It seems right for them to be somewhat separate.

Galactic_Girl I TRIED to include some helpful info at the beginning. Writing in this galaxy is a bit intimidating! [face_batting]

dianethx Wow, thank you! [face_blush]

[b]Chapter 8[/b]

[i]?Better to retain that one old virtue he still cherished: loyalty.? Frank Herbert, [u]Children of Dune.[/u][/i]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anakin grasped Padmé?s hand tightly as they waited together for the landing ramp to lower and his mother to descend. Though no public announcement had been made, it had become known as such things do ? by word of mouth and idle gossip. Now a crowd had gathered and the mass of people was restlessly anticipating the arrival of Muad?Dib?s mother, the witch Shmi. The mother of their god had returned, and the meaning of it all was the subject of conversation among the faithful who had gathered to watch this historic occasion.

He squeezed Padmé?s hand reassuringly, recognizing her anxiety. While Padmé and Shmi loved and respected one another, there were times when Shmi made Padmé uneasy. ?I feel like she can see into my soul,? Padmé had once remarked.

?Like me?? he had asked, half teasing, but also wondering if [i]he[/i] made her uncomfortable.

Padmé had smiled tenderly, however, and slipped into his waiting embrace. ?You [i]are[/i] my soul, so it does not matter what you see.?

That had been the night their lost children were conceived. The thought of Luke and the tiny baby girl who had died before she had lived caused a pang, especially when he realized he had not them of them for several days. That seemed a betrayal of sorts, and he knew it was yet another thing he would not confess to Padmé. Her ignorance of certain things was the only gift he could give her, for it gave her peace, and there was little enough of that in their future.

Then he heard the roar of the crowd grow and subside, the thud of the ramp hitting the landing platform, and he found himself standing up straight, his eyes locked on the empty space from which his mother would emerge. There was a moment when all of Arrakis seemed to grow still and quiet, holding its breath, and then she appeared. She wore the ceremonial headdress of a Reverend Mother, and her dress was in the Skywalker colors, proclaiming to all her dual role in their universe. Thrusting aside all ceremony and dignity, Anakin rushed forward, pulling Padmé with him, forgetting in his eagerness that he held her hand. Then they were both running toward Shmi, for Padmé felt his joy and because she loved him so much, she too, was happy.

Shmi opened her arms and Anakin felt them wrap around him, as warm and reassuring as they had been when he was just a little boy. Suddenly, all the possible futures that always fluttered around him grew still for a moment, giving him this time of reunion. He felt Padmé press close to him, felt her embrace Shmi and there were only the three of them, the god and his mother and wife. At last, Shmi pulled away and cupped Anakin?s face with one hand while pulling Padmé to her side with the other. ?Look at you,? she murmured to her son. ?So handsome?? He blushed, and was surprised to find that her words embarrassed him. So few surprises left in the galaxy and yet, here was one, a most mundane moment between mother and son ? a compliment and a blush. How odd, he mused, as he studied his mother, and how refreshing.

He studied her with Bene Gesserit eyes, the cataloging of minutiae, a way of seeing that

17. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    First thing I have to say: It's never smart letting Palpatine stay alive. Despite all these measures and the Jedi Knights, I'm sure Palpatine would find a way to escape. Just my feelings.

But it's good. The ending regarding Palpatine and the guards is kind of haunting. However, the parts with Shmi, Padme and Anakin being reunited as a family, it's just warming.

I wonders; Did I asked you abuot why you killed Luke and Leia off in the story? Just curious.

18. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Still brilliant. I love how you've interwoven them. I can't seem to find any flaw.

Anakin's manipulation of Padme would leave her cold if she knew - contentment is a weakness but her life will soon get worse if you are following the Dune timeline.

Loved this: Apparently, she wanted to get right to the task at hand, Anakin thought grimly. ?Of course, he replied with a slight smirk. ?I?ve loosed their leash just enough so that they feel free.? Muad?Dib laughed softly, almost cruelly. ?I fear it will come as quite a shock to them when they discover that they have been in my grasp the whole time.?
    I have to wonder who he is talking about...

Obi-Wan is going into the mouth of danger. I wonder how he would react to Hayt...

Great job. Loving this! =D=

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I love this Shmi. She would have, I believe been happy with Padme as a choice for her son.

Intersting that Obi-Wanstill hears Qui-Gon's voice. It should be very interesting how he reacts to the ghola.

I must agree that I'm surprised Palpatine still lives. I suppose it's as a warning of some sort.

Another brilliant post Kim.

20. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    But is ANY amount of security ever enough where Palpatine is concerned? [face_worried]

Shmi's arrival caused quite the stir. It has to be somewhat unnerving for Padme, the way Anakin and Shmi share this "gift" and the way they seem to choose their words so carefully when she is there. Like Padme said, she isn't a fool. ;) It's a little frightening, the way Anakin manipulates Padme's mind, even if he does believe it is for her own good.

Excellent update, K! :D

21. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    I was at the library today, thinking about this story, and decided that the next time I come in I was going to start re-reading Dune. Then I came home and it was HERE! (Spooky, huh.)

As always, your elegant and graceful writing captures the flavor of the original. I can't imagine Paul Atredies as anything less than Anakin now.

Beautiful!@};- =D=

22. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    ?Mercy is not always a kindness,? Shmi said with a significant look. ?Surely I taught you that very difficult lesson?? Her voice was mild, but Anakin recognized the admonishment quite clearly. I agree with Shmi, hiding things from Padme may be bad in the long run... I really like her relationship with Padme. It will be interesting to see how she interacts with Hayt, though I also really wonder what Obi-Wan's reaction will be.

Palapatine is dangerous alive, though I like the group of Jedi guarding him. :D

23. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Crazydan Baby Luke died before the story started, a baby girl was stillborn, but of course in the Dune universe, Paul and Chani lost a Leto and then later on had another baby boy they also named Leto. [face_whistling]

dianethx Let's just say that Muad'Dib is keeping close tabs on the malcontents in his Empire! ;)

Healer_Leona I'm working on the next post. I hope you like it, since there should be some more of the ghola in it! :p

Gina Yes, he had good intentions, but I don't know if it's the smartest move. [face_worried]

divapilot We must have a pyschic link (though my kids insist I'm just psycho!) Have fun reading Dune again!

Lovely-in-Orange Palpatine can never be dead enough! [face_devil]

24. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I still don't like Dune, but this I can relate to! ;)

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    VadersMistress I know you don't, so I appreciate you reading this even MORE! :D

[b]Chapter 9[/b]

[i]?There are many counterfeit men among us, lad. They look human. They can talk like a human. But given the wrong pressure, they expose themselves as animals. The unfortunate thing is, they think of themselves as human. Oh yes, they think. But thinking isn?t enough to make you human.?

?You have to think about your thinking,? he said. ?You have to?? he hesitated, ??understand how you think.? Frank Herbert, [u]The Road to Dune[/u][/i]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They were in Shmi?s private quarters, and Padmé had gone to her rooms to rest. The birth and subsequent illness and death of her son still left her weary at times, as if her body still struggled with the loss. Padmé spoke frequently now of having another child, and Anakin encouraged her to rest and regain her strength. ?When the time is right, sihaya,? he had murmured, brushing his thumb along her cheek, ?we will be blessed again. And our child shall rule an Empire that rivals even my most ambitious dreams.?

Padmé had shaken her head. ?I don?t want to give birth to an Emperor,? she had whispered shyly. ?I just want to have your child.?

And he had felt his heart clench within him, knowing the truth as he did. Birth and death, at opposite ends of the same spectrum, the beginning and end of a journey. How could he tell her what the future held for them when he had not even accepted it himself? Still, he encouraged her to rest, knowing that the stronger she was, the more prepared she felt, then the longer she could appreciate their brief moment of joy.

For now, he needed this time alone with his mother. He had seen the questions in Shmi?s eyes. She had noticed something and wanted to confront him, and putting off the encounter would in no way dissuade Shmi from her goals. His mother had always been possessed of an iron will, and age had not softened her edges.

?Tell me, Anakin,? Shmi said softly, her tone deceptively casual. ?Why do you feed your wife a contraceptive??

Anakin went completely still and then turned to his mother with a rueful smile. ?How did you know?? he asked quietly, not bothering to deny it for she would have known it for a lie. He had never been able to lie to her, not even as a boy, and certainly not as a man. She knew all the secrets of his heart, all the dark corners that lay shrouded in shadows. Shmi could call upon vast resources of past lives, of women who had known and loved him in one lifetime or another.

Shmi shrugged and walked toward him. ?I smelled it on her when I embraced her upon my arrival. It is very subtle, very clever, but still?? Her words trailed off and she frowned, looking slightly disappointed at his clumsiness. ?You?re lucky she?s not Bene Gesserit trained, or she would have noticed long ago.? Tilting her head, Shmi regarded him with a puzzled expression. ?And how would you have explained [i]that[/i]??

Turning away from her, he walked to a window and looked out at the vast dunes of Arrakis. He found comfort in the constantly changing landscape, knowing that eventually, all would be fresh again, the ravages left by his reign swept away and covered over by the eternal sands. The desert would win, it always did. His child would be the storm that moved the sands, made the desert clean again ? and not even for his beloved Padmé could he forsake that cleansing, the renewal that must be. ?It?s for the best this way, Mother,? he said quietly, still not facing her. ?I do what I must.?

?She won?t thank you for it,? Shmi warned him, ?no matter your reasons.? He noticed that she did not question what he [i]saw[/i], and he wondered once more if she had a touch of the gift, the curse that was his. Maybe she saw more than she wanted, and this was her way of denying it, a denial he had indulged in more than once himself.

?Then I shall have to do my best to make sure she doesn?t find out then won?t I?? he asked dryly, turning at last. He leaned back against the window and let his h

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.