main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series TBOBF Season 1 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 14, 2021.

1. B0BA FETT

B0BA FETT Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2022
    You were warned.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2022
  2. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Just watch Mando Chapter 14 over and over again. That should hold you over for the next 40 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2022
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    For some weird reason after watching this trailer for a show about a bumbling idiot who wants to become a pirate who kills people with kindness I was reminded of TBOBF. Heck, even the star of the show is from New Zealand!

ETA: @The Chalk Jedi, big time! Season one was a mess and didn't leave us with a good hook to see what would happen in a second season. The way they left it they could very easily get away with not doing a second season and only using Boba as guest star on other Star Wars shows.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    Sproj and Sarge like this.
  4. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    I think it’s highly likely some external factors, the likes of which have been thrown around, caused the show to be rushed. You can just feel it IMO. But I’m pleased… enough… overall, especially if their backs were to a wall.
    I don’t know how anyone can not like Tem on screen, even if the show runners made some poor decisions about his character. Loved his Tusken backstory and the Mando tie-ins even if they were the product of necessity.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Final was up 36% viewership wise than Mando season 2 closer. This is due to multiple factors of course. More people have Disney Plus. Some people are only interested in Boba. That’s all I can think of.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I know people who only started watching TBOBF when they found out that Din, Grogu, and Luke were in some episodes. So ironically, I think people like that could have also driven viewership numbers near the end of the season.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I keep thinking that they shouldn't have marketed it as something that's separate from The Mandalorian. I hope they'll rebrand it as The Mandalorian season 3, or something.

8. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    They should have titled the show something like, The Battle for Tatooine.

9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    There can be many reason why viewership went up. It's hard to make conclusions from these data taken alone, and generally if someone wants to interpret ratings and box office numbers in the way that fits their narrative, they'll find a way to do so.

Let me give you an example: if we normalize the viewership by the number of Disney+ subscriptions, a smaller percentage of the people registered to Disney+ watched BOBF than they watched Mando2. If we tried to make conclusions based on this, it would be less of a good news than when we consider the rough number.

Also, since Covid people watch more streaming programs in general. How can we factor that in ?
    It's a complex issue, and it would too simplistic to reduce everything to a trivial "numbers up = great success".

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Did they know the show wasn’t up to the same standards as The Mandalorian - hence the different name.

Why not call it Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett. A decision was made for TBOFB to be promoted as its own standalone series which it is not.

cwustudent and Count Yubnub like this.
  11. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    So basically you guys want Disney to hold any Disney+ Star Wars show as closely as possible to the Mandalorian? Just because it was their first TV show success? Like The Mandalorian: Obi Wan Kenobi, And The Mandalorian: Ahsoka. Just so people will tune into Star Wars because everyone loves The Mandalorian?

Sounds like a small franchise thing to do. Star Wars doesn't need that dependence on one single aspect of the Star Wars universe. Boba Fett isn't Din, and he doesn't have to be Din.

And apparently more people tuned into The Book Of Boba than they did the Hawkeye show. so why is everyone so obsessed over trying to re-evaluate the success of TBOB?

12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    No. I would like shows to be marketed in a way that clarifies their role in the overall franchise. I don't see how marketing something as,

"if you decide to watch The Mandalorian, make sure you first watch season 1 and 2, then watch The Book of Boba Fett, then continue with season 3,"

is a good way to market a story, especially in a franchise whose interlocking parts are getting more and more complex for a casual viewer. Neither TBOBF nor The Mandalorian stand on their own; neither of them will make sense without watching the other, in the proper order. So, don't market them as separate products.

(And then you get the complaints that "Din Djarin is outshining Boba Fett in his own show!!11!!" or something to that extent. If this show were marketed as The Mandalorian season 3: The Book of Boba Fett (or whatever) nobody would've had any problems with changing protagonists between episodes.)

I haven't seen the Obi-Wan or Ahsoka shows yet, so I don't have an opinion (yet) on how they should be marketed. I assuem that the Obi-Wan show will mostly stand on its own and will have little or no connection to the narrative of The Mandalorian. But if Ahsoka continues the The Mandalorian narrative, then yeah, I'll continue to have the same opinion. You'll find me arguing here that it "should have been" called The Mandalorian Season 5 - The Etch-A-Sketch of Ahsoka Tano or whatever they'll end up calling the show. I'mma be predictable.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Presumably Din and Grogu won't be showing up in the Obi-Wan series, so it's not the same thing. TBOBF was spun off from The Mandalorian, by first having Boba appear in The Mandalorian and then having the announcement of TBOBF appear in The Mandalorian post-credits. Then they had Din, Grogu, and Luke appear in episodes of TBOBF, and two episodes of TBOBF felt more like episodes of The Mandalorian than they did episodes of TBOBF, with Boba himself being effectively sidelined in those.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. Which is why Obi Wan Kenobi episode 3 will be about Crosshairs rejoining the Bad Batch and Omega building a relationship with her brother Boba.

15. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    They are trying to MCU the Star Wars universe.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    In episode 4 of Kenobi will be all Anakin and Ahsoka centric as to remind you of both characters also coming in the next big show with them. While Kenobi finds and Battles Darth vader at the end of the episode.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Every time someone says this I feel like they've never actually watched Star Wars before.

Once again, for those in the back...
    STAR WARS HAS ALWAYS BEEN INTERCONNECTED. ALWAYS.

If the 6 saga films, the EWOK films, the DROIDS cartoon, TCW, and the EU didn't clue you in, I don't what will do it.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Star Wars Interconnected Universe works even mutch better then MCU, with movies, tv shows books and comics. sure a few small retcons here and there. But when we get the small characters from animation, books or comics it's something truly special. It's all one big canon story. Even tough ST is mostly it's own story and dosen't connect as mutch, we still gets small teases here and there.

19. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Didn't those turn out to be made up?

LedReader likes this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Grace Randolf bs and many believed them so mutch that Pedro had to shut it down.

S. Raw Rats likes this.
  21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, but you should never let facts get in your way.

22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well to be fair alot of these films/shows you mention ain't canon. And they were barely considered canon even years ago. For a long time the saga movies were very much the main aspect of Star Wars.

Nowadays. while i have no idea if the ewok movies are meant to be part of Disney canon now, you know that the interconnected nature of Star Wars is whats keeping Disney funded. If everything and everyone is important and looks good, that puts continuous money in Disney's pocket.

I don't think it was ever properly debunked really. And even Pascal denying doesn't mean much since if he is in a negotiation phase for more money or whatever, last thing you do is inform the world that you are unhappy with your successful show. Nope, you say everything is fine and then make your negociations with Disney.

I see no reason there couldn't be some truth to it tbh. Since they filled this time slot with TBOB instead of Mando 3 for what feels like absolutely no reason. while pascal went off to make another show. So i do wonder whether there could have been some truth to these reports that created a delay.

I could believe that those 2 episodes with Mando were meant to be opening episodes for Series 3 tbh.

23. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I wonder if you watched Mando S1, Mando S2 and only TBOBF episodes 5, 6 and 7, you'd get that "Mando S2.5" vibe. Also, you'd see Boba just kicking ass as he did in Mando S2, satisfying those Boba Fett the bounty hunter expectations.

If watched in this order (i.e., omitting TBOBF episodes 1-4) that massive exposition dump from Fennec at the start of TBOBF episode 7 doesn't seem quite so out of place. In fact, it's necessary (if clumsy).

TBOBF is really only 5 episodes - 1-4 and 7 - the bulk of which just make up a fun little back story for Boba and explanation for how the other characters came to be with him.

Watching 1-4, that snippet in 5 with Fennec, and then 7, in quick succession, would be a far more straightforward story and I think I'd have a better opinion of TBOBF in spite of its existing flaws if I watched it in this way.

24. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Who initially presented the rumour, and who has backed it up?

There's nothing really supporting it except "it sounds plausible", which far too many people seem to consider sufficient evidence lately.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I ain't sure where the reports came from. grace randolph is credited by most people as the one that started them. But i swear there were reports else where about it also online.

I just don't get the impression pascal is that dedicated to Star Wars. It really depends what it was he signed up for with this role. And whether he was happy with the role by series 2. We know Pascal is rarely on the set and is off doing other things. And yet he is meant to be the star of the show.