main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW bonus material episode discussion (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Based on his video statement and on an interview he conducted a few days ago with IGN, yes, yes I do. This was not a cancellation; it was a decision to conclude TCW in one format while still allowing him and his team to wrap things up story-wise in a different format.

2. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Well, there is a difference between not being renewed, and using the last of your episodes to wrap up a series, and being outright cancelled. However both of these outcomes are still being cancelled.

X-Files was not renewed for a tenth season, the cast and crew knew this during production of season 9, and they did what they could to conclude the series with a series finale.

Animated series typically take far longer between creation and air date to learn if they're not being renewed or not, which leads to a lot of animated series not having proper endings. Often, the creators simply go with their gut and create a season finale that could or couldn't be a series finale. Futurama has done this just about every season. At the moment, Futurama has four "finales". Simpsons had a series finale planned for season 23 (Holidays of Future Passed) before they learned that they were renewed for two more years. So now season 25 may/may not be the final season, so we'll probably see another pseudo finale from the show.

The Clone Wars is in an interesting predicament, because they HAVE been cancelled however unlike most animated shows, they have been given a finite amount of episodes to wrap things up and "wind down" the series. It isn't a situation unique to TCW, but it doesn't happen very often.

Lady_Skywalker87 and eht13 like this.
  3. Wonderllama

Wonderllama Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2013
    It started with a movie... let's finish it with a movie!!!

podjazd, Cevan, VMeran and 6 others like this.
  4. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    That's not cancellation, though, as the Wikipedia definition that was posted above clearly shows.

5. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Mobile Suit Gundam is another example. Planned for 52 episodes, but was canceled at like 45 or so. Yet was still able to right a solid conclusion.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Filoni was happy with this? OK. [face_laugh] He is doing the professional thing asked of him by his employers.

Also, ITT we argue about the semantics of the word "cancel". Fun.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    How does a press release stating plain as day that LUCASFILM has decided to end the show turn into "OMG TCW is cancelled!"?

How does this happen?

Lucasfilm ended the show. CN didn't cancel it.

eht13 likes this.
  8. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Given I had a Cylon avatar for about 2 months, you can assume I'm a big BSG fan. I loved Caprica as it brought new ideas to the table. Sure, it was more cerebral and had less action, and the first half was a little slow, but it was a good prequel.

I felt that Blood & Chrome was a really weak attempt at recreating BSG exactly. Perhaps if it ever gets picked up for a full series, it can realise it's full potential, but as is, I didn't really enjoy the movie.

leiamoody and credar like this.
  9. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    People don't bother to look up the actual definition of the word 'cancellation' as it concerns televised media.

10. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    I wouldn't use wikipedia as an absolute when it comes to defining stuff as nebulous as "cancellation". Clone Wars wasn't going to return to CN after season 5, but it wasn't known if it would continue with more seasons on a Disney owned channel. Now we know that Disney isn't planning on keeping the series going for as long as Filoni and his crew had planned, so in effect the series is cancelled. However, like I noted, they appear to have made a compromise. Disney has set an end date for Clone Wars, the production crew get to finish off the series instead of ending things with the season 5 finale. Sort of a postponed cancellation.

11. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    That's not a cancellation, though; it's a renewal with the understanding that the medium by which the new material will be released is going to change.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The man said the remaining arcs will offer "conclusion" and I have no reason to think that he's lying. Wrapping up stories is good, burning off a bunch of random eps they had in the can is bad. We don't know exactly what these will be until we see them, but I'm hoping it's the former.

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

As a word nerd, I love this "arguing" semantics.

Darth_Harmon and 07jonesj like this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    LFL and Disney have told the TCW production crew that the show will stop being made, but that they can finish what was already underway so that fans aren't left completely high and dry... and that remaining material will come out some other way. That is not a renewal. CN wouldn't have been able to keep it anymore anyway because of the new Disney ownership.

15. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    now I need to get Disney XD in HD....

16. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
  17. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Ill be happy with 2 to 3 direct-to-DVD movies, like they did with Stargate.

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    "After nearly a decade of production and five seasons on the air, “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” as a television show, has been cancelled."

This coming from a voice actor of the show. ;) Although I'm sure people will still nitpick it apart.

I tl;dr after that line.

19. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    My best guess is that they were told this a little while ago. Otherwise, we would be getting a few D-Squad arcs in there, but instead, he says that these episodes were made to wrap up the show. Unless it's just propaganda, but he sounded sincere.

My best guess for the episodes are the Clovis Arc

a 4 part Fives-heavy (possibly Outer Rim, meaning the end of the Clone Wars) arc

a 4 part Maul/Mandalore arc (which would, in turn, also continue the Outer Rim battles)

a 4 part Boba Fett/Cad Bane/Hondo/Ventress arc

a 3 part Battle of Coruscant Arc

and a 4 part Order 66/Rise of the Empire/Conclusions to Rex and Ahsoka/setting up the Dark Times/A big celebration of the Star Wars The Clone Wars mythos

Also, I bet that new project will either be KOTOR, Dark Times or New Republic, all of which I would be extremely happy about! Hopefully it is also run by Dave Filoni and maybe they can bring back some of the voice actors from The Clone Wars in different roles or maybe even the same roles!

Man, that read nearly brought tears to my eyes.

But it sounds like he's saying they are going to do a few more sessions based off of "And from what we can tell there will be more to come. Clone Wars will have a future, although we’re not entirely sure where or when, there are still stories to tell in what I consider the best animated program television has seen thus far. "

20. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Yeah, I got that from JAT's message too. My guess is he was told of the cancellation, but was also told that there was still some more voice work to be done. That was all he was told. THus why he didn't go on talking about his lat recording session or anything like that.

21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    So guys, it'll be ok for Dave. Here's working at a new job:
    [​IMG]
    (Caution: Be careful if you click the link)

22. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    666 Park Avenue, Last Resort, 90210- all have been cancelled but the producers were allowed to rewrite the season finale as a series finale to give proper conclusion.

23. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    Do we know when these arcs we be divulged? I hope we still don't have to wait till fall for them.

24. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That all sounds great, 22 more episodes of The Clone Wars? Yes please!

credar likes this.
  25. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That's saying its been cancelled from airing on the TV, yet it isn't been cancelled altogether as it is clear that production is continuing and it also seems that there is still work for JAT to do on the show.