main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW bonus material episode discussion (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, "filler never felt so good"? What's that all about, anyway? Am I missing something?

2. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    "Filler never felt so good" refers to the fact that the show fills in the gap between Episodes II and III. Heheh, I think we might just be too close to think of it that way.

Anyway, here's a thought: What if previously-unreleased content just isn't viable enough for physical release? Personally, I'd be OK with a limited edition preorder-only release, that way they literally lose no money on the deal by overproducing, and they'll have created a one-of-a-kind collectible for those of us who want it. THEN they release it on a later full TCW box set, once Warner loses the distro rights to the prior stuff.

3. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    If that's the way they are using "filler" then they don't understand the words they are using, there is no positive context to that word unless you are talking about laying tile or something. They have already taken shots at the show saying the episodes with Jar Jar won't be shown cause they aren't cannon.

4. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, could be.

If there were only an arc or two's-worth of episodes, I could surely see the problem with producing a full-fledged blu ray release, but if the rumors of a dozen or more episodes have any merit, then this, along with the appeal of "previously unreleased content," particularly the "final episodes" ever to be produced, has potential money-maker written all over it to me.

As to your hypothetical release? Sure, suits me fine.

5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    It could be a reference to the gap between AOTC and ROTS but knowing its Adult Swim I was concerned they were trolling the anime fans upset more western animation is on the Toonami block which is kinda surprising for Toonami which has been pretty fan oriented so far. That wouldn't do TCW much good. I was looking past dropping Jar Jar episodes thinking they are just intending to rush through the series. I know at the end of its day its there because CN already had it and another show isn't in Toonami's budget.

6. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Eh, I was hoping for a midnight, maybe 1:00 airing, but I see they plan on a 3am time slot, so I won't be watching, regardless.

7. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Hmm, interesting. I personally like the self-aware meta tactics of Toonami and Adult Swim, but honestly, I really think they're talking about the fact that it's between the two films. If you figure the promo copy was written by someone who likely only has a base knowledge of the show, the thing that would strike them primarily is that the show occurs between two well-known films, i.e. "filler."

"Filler" can have a positive connotation if they're just being honest about the setting and premise for the show. Toonami and Adult Swim have always taken a sarcastic approach in their advertising.

8. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    But when you are referring to filler in the entertainment world it's most common usage refers to an unimportant superfluous placeholder. Seems pretty clear they are trying to be unnecessarily clever while making a back handed statement. I have NEVER heard anyone use "filler" in a positive way, it's usually preceded with dismissive qualifiers like "just". Def rubs me the wrong way.

9. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I've seen some shows with some pretty damn good filler.

All I take the word to mean is something that doesn't necessarily push the story along in any meaningful way.

10. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Nice to see that it is getting some more exposure but I got all that on blu-ray, so it makes no difference to me.

Though 3 AM does sound a little late, but on a Saturday night, you never know.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Come on Disney just let Filoni finish the story it will not detract from your bucketfulls of cash [face_shame_on_you]

12. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Well, that's probably a very common belief. My point is, though, not everybody feels that way. I know I don't find it as negative as you do. I'm big a sucker for Toonami/Adult Swim's irreverent meta punk gimmicks. I'd venture a guess that say their young adult demographic probably thirsts for that sort of honesty as well.

Anyway, you know you like the show, so I assume you're defending it to the larger unfamiliar audience... and I could keep arguing that it's not something to worry about, that you're misunderstanding it, that not only is it ridiculous for a network to undermine their own show in the way you're suggesting, but that it could actually be appealing to a certain target demographic in the proper context... but I, personally, am evidence to that fact, because I connected to that borderline-cynic-approach bigtime when I was that age, and still do. So, heh, I don't really need to argue for it. Yes, the word has a negative connotation, but it also applies to TCW's position between the films, so using a word with an otherwise-negative connotation is eye-catching and gets CN the audience they want. Simple as that.

I guess this is just beginning to seem like a "Somebody seems like they said something bad about a thing I like" argument, and I don't find those arguments as offensive as some, but in this case, if you step back for a second, I think you'll see how absurd it would be for Toonami to say something bad about their own show. Toonami is not a person with opinions; it's a block on a network who needs you to watch their shows for them to make money. Even if somebody on the board of executives had some irrational vendetta against the show, they wouldn't say so in an ad.

13. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I think the cost was the problem and the fact that it was probably too associated with CN as well to work as good as did there on a disney channel. Since the show was funded out of Lucas' pocket, they could have at least let them finish every single story arc that they had in production, especially since, Lucas would have already paid for the production and completion of those episodes. (At least I read somewhere it was all funded completely by GL).

14. al patrickson

al patrickson Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2013
  15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't know anymore, I just don't

16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Disney also likely canned TCW because it was a joint production with their competitor, WB. Hopefully, with Rebels being owned by them, it'll be allowed to continue without interference and given an appropriate run. Since it has the potential to cover anything in a 19 year time period, the show can also run as long as it needs so long as it generates revenue and remains good quality.

That is a separate matter, however. All I ask is that Rebels gives closure to TCW's loose threads while building up its own.

17. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

I expect that the announcement will be soon, as she said. There is no definite timeframe allocated to the word 'soon'. It can be today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year... There is no way to speculate on a comment like that.

Actually TCW wasn't a joint production with WB. WB didn't come into the equation until at least two years after they started making the show. WB wasn't behind any of the funding at all. It was only the channel they aired it on. It was only after they had made quite a few episodes and started to shop around for a network. As far as I am aware, based on media reports, WB was only the distribution channel, it never had anything to do with the production of TCW ever.

18. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Wait. What about the film? Was WB just the distributor of the film, or did they actually put up money, while it was in production? Just curious. Odd to think that what was once a WB movie maybe become a Disney movie... So anyway, the film, will the rights to the film eventually revert to Disney?

19. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

They didn't put up money for production. According to media reports TCW started pre-production in late 2005. By March 2007 there was no television network for the series - and that was when Lucas started to pitch the series. By September 2007, Lucas said in an interview they were working on episode 40 of the series so that would be roughly mid-season 2. February 2008 it was announced that CN and TNT had won the broadcasting rights to TCW, with Warner being responsible for distributing the film. Warner Brothers have the home video rights. The show was in production for a few years before a network got involved and even then I don't believe they funded the production. It was all Lucasfilm.

It was when they saw footage of the first few episodes that Warner decided to release a film and all they did was edit episodes together. It depends on how the contracts are: there could be an end point for when WB/Warner lose the rights to distribute seasons 1 - 5. But they certainly didn't fund the show. They just had the rights to distribute it.

FWIW, most of this stuff I've got from reading old articles from the time frame. :)

20. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    hlc88
    My ABSOLUTE DREAM is to see the ENTIRE chronological series, film included as individual episodes, with the bonus content too.

So concerning the movie divided into episodes again, I should send a letter to WB, not Disney? I mean, Disney probably owns the film itself, but not distribution. But if Disney took the film's footage and put it back into 4-episodes form, it might essentially be a new product, which they could distribute. Pardon my lack of trademark/copyright knowledge and mumbo jumbo.
    (OK, bonus content, bonus content. Focus.)

21. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

I think that is where it gets complicated because of how Warner owns the distribution rights and unless there is an end date to that, Disney can't put them together in one release, that is presuming there is a cut off point when the rights will revert.

I would assume WB would be your best option but I can't really say for sure. Best bet would be Lucasfilm. At least then they would know that people do want a chronological set with everything in it released.

22. al patrickson

al patrickson Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2013
    Hey, Clone Wars fans. I just thought of what the amount of episodes might be for the bonus Clone Wars episodes. I think we are going to be getting 17 episodes. I know the Clovis arc is 3 eps and the Order 66 arc, the Yoda/Sifo-Dyas/Force Ghosts/Sith Temple arc, and the Boba Fett/Cad Bane/Aurra Sing/Bounty Hunter arc written by Matt Michnovetz are 4 episodes each. But, when I think about the Chancellor Valorum concept art and its production code as 513. It makes me feel the Order 66 arc is actually going to be production codes 5.14-5.17. So here is what I think the production codes are for the bonus content episodes of Clone Wars:

Clovis - 4.19-4.21
    Order 66 arc - 5.14. -5.17
    Chancellor Valorum episode arc - 5.12-5.13
    Yoda/Sifo-Dyas/Plo Koon/Force Ghosts/Sith Temple arc - 5.18-5.21
    Bounty Hunter arc- 5.22-5.25

So, that's my new theory on the amount of episodes. What do you guys think? Chime in.

P.S. I know the Yoda/Sifo-Dyas/Plo Koon/Force Ghosts/Sith Temple arc may be 5.18-5.21 because the arc starts off with Plo Koon in his desert gear with the Wolfpack on that sandstorm planet and that design concept art was shown at the Secrets of The Clone Wars panel at CE2 as production code 5.18 and its even shown in the video on TheHuskyDog7's YouTube channel of the panel.

P.S.S I now think the Tusken Raider design was 5.22 so I think we'll see the Tusken Raiders on Tatooine in the beginning of the Bounty Hunter arc.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  23. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    I think you are wrong as the Order 66 arc was to open Season 6 so it stands to reason that it was the next arc to be produced s they generally air them in order now, with a few exceptions, so Valorum would be better placed in that arc because of the potential political ramifications of that due to a clone killing a Jedi and having their trigger begun early.

24. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    I do NOT think there's a whole arc about Chancellor Valorum. I think he appears in the Sifo Dyas arc.

Somethetimes methinks somefolk forget just how different episodes within a single arc can be, and how their central casts can rotate.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  25. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    Here's something to ponder. It might throw off the production codes you have presented, maybe not. I'd like to remind you that, traditionally, each season aired 22 episodes. The same would have been true of season 5 pre-cancellation. If Clovis remained, Young Jedi would probably be in the line-up anyway. And we would have had:

Onderon: 4.15-4.18 (4 episodes)
    Clovis: 4.19-4.21 (3)
    Young Jedi: 4.22-4.25 (4)
    Revival: 4.26 (1)
    Mauldalore: 5.01-5.03 (3)
    Droids: 5.04-5.07 (4)

((I should note here that, yes, the Fugitive arc is labeled 5.08-5.11 (4), but I don't think it was originally intended to be the season 5 finale.))

The total so far (without the Fugitive arc) is 19. I'm suggesting that there may have been another trilogy to maintain the regular 22-episode tradition. TBH we don't know for a fact (yet) if Valorum would be part of the Order 66 arc, because IIRC there have been no production codes given. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Now, this is just my opinion, I believe Filoni knew about the coming cancellation and pushed the Fugitive arc into production, in a sense replacing what would have been the S5 finale (if you ask me, it would have been the Mauldalore arc). So the arc featuring Valorum may have been a trilogy intended for season 5. But...the fact remains, we may never know what would have been S5. I applaud your effort to summarize the story-chronology with the production codes in mind, regarding the bonus content. Its fun to examine the puzzle pieces and imagine the picture before the puzzle is complete!

AkashKedavra_93 and rezpen like this.