main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by HL&S , Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    [image=http://www.apexcorp.com/~rvhorn/assimilate/tmnt/tmnt.gif]

Oh did I love the cartoon when I was a child. I watched it religiously. It had great action, characters, and storylines. I can't wait for it to come out on dvd. Of course the episodes later in the series with Titanus kinda sucked, but most of the series was great. Krang was my favorite character. Such a great villain. I could immitate his voice pretty. Loved the Technodrome and the random mutant villains. Never much preferred the episodes with the gangster villains.

I had many action figures too and play sets too.

The movies were cool too. At least the first two.

[image=http://www.itsonlyamovie.co.uk/COVERS1/TEENAGE%20MUTANT%20NINJA%20TURTLES.jpg]

Part one was very dark and enjoyable to watch as a kid, but as I grew up I noticed how many adult jokes can be found in it. Shredder was potrayed well and the Turtles and splinter looked cool. Even Corey Feldmen as the voice of Donatello wasn't bad.

[image=http://www.itsonlyamovie.co.uk/COVERS1/TEENAGE%20MUTANT%20NINJA%20TURTLES%202.jpg]

Part two was really fun. Good humor and awesome mutant villains. It wasn't as dark as the first one, but it's just as a good. Who can forget the Super Shredder taking five steps and then dying. lol

[image=http://www.itsonlyamovie.co.uk/COVERS1/TEENAGE%20MUTANT%20NINJA%20TURTLES%203.jpg]

Part three sucked. I mean I understood what they were trying to do, but they went the wrong direction. Walker was a crappy villain. The next logical step from TMNT 2 was to bring Krang, the technodrome, and rock soldiers in to help Shredder. But instead we got Samurai times. It just wasn't as exciting as it needed to be.

The video games were awesome though.

TMNT 1 was cool for it's time. Though a bit more difficult than it needed to be. Damn those underwater devices!

[image=http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/nes/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles.jpg]

TMNT 2 kicked royal ass. The game play itself was sweet. The levels were certainly replayable. The villains were perfect. Every day that I am alive I remember the music to this game. Almost every levels music. Gosh I'm a nerd.

[image=http://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_2/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_2_cart.jpg]

TMNT 3: The Manhatten Project. This one has a special place in my heart. I think it was part two, but brought to the next level. I loved the mutant villains. I loved the music. They got really creative with the foot soldiers in this one. Of course it if you were really cheap, you could either enter the secret code to make yourself invincible or just pick Leonardo, spin your blades around, and just run everyone down. You'd have one power cell, but you'd definetly make it to the end of the game before using a continue if not even using a life up.

[image=http://dorando.emuverse.com/images/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-the-manhattan-project.3.png]

I tried Turtles in Time once for the Super Nintendo when it came out, but by then I was growing up and Turtles just weren't priority.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I agree, the first two films are great but the third isn't as great (I actually own it on VHS :p ). To this day I still have not beaten TMNT 1 for NES. It's one of the most impossible games I've ever played. [face_frustrated]

3. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Last year I bought the three live action movies on the dvd and rewatched them for the first time in ten years. And you're right that the first two are great and the third one is really boring.

Of the games, TMNT2 is definently my favourite, since that's the only one I've actually owned myself. I always cheated and got 19 lives from the beginning though...

The original television series is something I easily can enjoy today.

I recently had a chance to read the first Turtles Comic and found it interesting how it's both very different than what the Turtles franchise is seen as today, while still being really similar and a very good piece of story.

4. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I need to get Shreck in here. But as for me, I was most fond of the cartoons.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    My abiding memory of the Turtles wasn't from watching them on a screen. I was 14 and on holiday at Universal Studios in Florida with my Mum and Dad. We were casually walking about and this van came zooming past us with all four Turtles standing in a large sunroof waving to the crowd. At the time, it was the greatest thing ever. :D :cool:

6. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    T LOVE THE TMNT! :cool:

I've got Vol 1 & Vol 3 of the Animated Series on DVD (looking for Vol 2) and they are still as enjoyable as they were when I was a kid.

I can't remember the last time I saw TMNT Pt. 1...it's been ages! Maybe I should buy the DVDs? Is the quality good?

Pt. 2 is the only VHS I have, (my Pt1 broke and 3 is MIA) it's still pretty fun to watch.

Oh, and a little trivia for you guys:

-Did you know that the producers of TMNT 2 wanted to use ROCKSTEADY & BEBOP for the movie but Laird & Eastman refused them permission?

-Oh, and that the Professor was supposed to be revealed to be a "KRANG" type of creature but that was scrapped due to budget constraints?

7. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I wish I had the soundtrack to TMNT2 the video game. TMNT3 The Manhattan Project's soundtrack too. Such great music.

8. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    i grew up watching the origianl cartoon and then the movies.
    the cartoon is just amazing..funny entertaining and cool.
    It still is!!!

i own Volumes 1-3 on DVD of the classic cartoon and these are great.
    I will buy them all, if they release more

I also own the DVD of the three movies, and clearly TMNT III is sub par.
    I and II are far superior on many many levels.

I also owned tons of the toys and loved them...

I also played all the games, but mostly TMNT II, and III for Nintendo.
    TMNT II could be the best game ever...

I never read the comics, and i am interested in how they differ from the classic cartoon.
    I have seen the newer cartoon a few times, and i am curious as to whether that is closer to the comic story?

My favorite classic epsisodes are ones with more then one bad guy...Specifically the one with the rat king and leatherhead.
    also, any episode where the Technidrome gets powered uo or sent soemwhere is great.

I missed a lot of the early episodes of the classic, and i have a question...They made an action figure, one of the first ten made, called Ace Duck or something, was he ever in the show, or atleast the cartoon??? if hes been on the cartoon, i have been searchign for that episdoe for years

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    He was never on the TV series. There were quite a few TMNT figures like that IIRC. Part of that was just due to the 80's tendancy to sell toys in thirty minute comercials we called Saturday morning cartoons. Though I think that character was featured in the comic. Same with Usagi Yojimbo I remember having the toy but I don't remeber ever seeing him in the show. I just atributed it to Eastman and Lenard (sp?) using some of their new found power to give a fellow indy comic a few minutes of fame.

10. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Here you can read the entire first issue of TMNT.

11. Master_Jedi80

May 27, 2005
    Thanks.
    by the way, Usagi Yojimbo was definately on the original cartoon, atleast in two seperate episodes...
    i would love a list of all figures vs there appearance on the show. (alot of figures were introduced as good or bad, on the figure back, but then on the show had a different alliances/back ground story)

12. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I love the new cartoon, loved the old one too. The new figures are also great.

13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    He was? That's kind of cool. I guess when you have two different comic properties featuring anamorphic ninjas its only a matter of time before they meet :p

14. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    I'd love to give the new TMNT series a chance...it's just on WAY too early for me. However from the episodes I have been able to wake up for, I like what I see. [face_peace]

Donatello's my favorite in the new series. In the original (the one I grew up with) it was Raphael, hands down.

15. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Only just watched TMNT3 the other day on DVD. Been a long time since I last saw it. It was a big step in the other direction compared to the first two movies, but I still like it. Holds up well compared to today's standards of action movies too. The turtles look great, which is why I'm a little worried about having 3D animated characters for this upcoming new movie rendition. One can hope, though.

16. Master_Jedi80

May 27, 2005
    Oh, Raphael, by far, was my favorite on the original cartoon!!
    i didnt like how they made him so cranky and pissy in the movies.

Oh, and thanks, to who ever posted the original comic book link above.
    I read that, and the description of the first 12 episodes. I was surprised to see how well the
    TMNT movie, followed that plot line (right down to the time at the farm)
    Also, the new cartoon seems to follow the comic a lot closer then the old cartoon did

17. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    Ah, yes. Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, as it was stupidly re-named here.

I never finished the first NES game, either.
    The 4-player version of the second was a classic. I think I played that more than any other arcade game.
    And Tournament Fighter on SNES was really good:

[image=http://koti.mbnet.fi/ktalo/kapseli/pelit/2002--1/tmnt/tf-6.png]

Also, I owned this single:

[image=http://www.mattscdsingles.com/acatalog/28089nsns.jpg]

[face_blush]

18. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Ah yes, the single from TMNT 1. T U R T L E POWER! It's such a great song. Though I don't know why the singer says Raphael is the leader of the group...

Vanilla Ice had a good song at the end of TMNT 2 also. Go Ninja! Go Ninja! Go!

Though my favorite tune is the opening theme song to the cartoon series. :D

19. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Man, I love that tune :p I wonder if anyone has ever tried a remix .... hmmm ....

20. Honor_And_Liberty

Honor_And_Liberty Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2005
    I have so much TMNT merchandise in my garage from years back. [face_blush]

Raphael was always my favorite. [face_blush]

21. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    PHOTOS!!! PHOTOS!!!

:p

22. Master_Jedi80

May 27, 2005
    Back in college, during the rise of napster, i definately had a techno remix of the TMNT theme.
    alas, after my roomate and I downloaded close to 3,000 songs, his computer crashed, and we lost them all.

23. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I tell you what I used to watch turtles all the while and still to this day remember how mad I went when I knew about the first film coming out that was until I went to watch it of course and felt abit disappointed that krang the bad guy was not in it (he was the pink alien in the big robotic body that lived underground), was there ever a toy version of krang available back in the day cause I would seriously buy that now.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Splinter is the coolest rat ever

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i used to have these Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles blankets, sheets, and pillow covers:-B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.