main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

tell me it isn't so -- the Sanctuary?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Hudnall, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    Moving to Comms.

See last post.

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think it was felt it was time to move on from the neverending bashing of the PT, and for everybody to discuss a *LITTLE* more some of the more positive aspects of the old movies. :)

3. LiteSpeed

LiteSpeed Jedi Knight star 2

May 9, 2004
    I think it was felt it was time to move on from the neverending bashing of the PT

Not by the sanctuary members though of course.;)

Hudnall! I was wondering where you had got to.

There's a new thread "the golden age society" that is supposed to be the modsquad approved replacement.
    Its just not the same though. Check the rules.

4. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I hear ya, Hudnall. It's a damned shame, and I think it was entirely unnecessary.

And so it goes. It's been fun, and I'll miss the camaraderie and "gemuetlichkeit" of the old Sanctuary. But clearly, we've been shown the door.

Dammit...

5. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Being a comp-incompatible female....

... is there software that enables you to download whole threads? OK, it might take ages with those miions od posts but[face_worried] but:_|

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't think anybody has said the S/E and PT films can't be bashed in the new thread, just that bashing isn't the focus of the thread. I think you can compare what you don't like in the PT to what you do like in the O-OT, for instance. Its just a re-focusing of empahisis. Instead of every single post being negative and the thread starting off from a negative position, the new thread is more to do with the good points of the TRILOGY we all fell in love with.

7. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Sorry - I've been off making a short film. Producer/Director. My first real swing at the bat. It's a short and part of the 48 Hour Film Project, but I've got quite a crew, some decent cast (even my own Harrison Ford almost). Things are insane busy ramping up for the competition and the shooting. It's an amazing experience -

G-Fett, you can't squash negativity. Or opinions you VIEW as negative. That's EMPIRE. That's FASCISM. And it's the opposite of everything the original Star Wars stood for.

I'm not here to talk politics - I'm here to say goodbye to some old friends -

8. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Well, I really don't see what another "We Love Star Wars" thread has to do with the Basher's Sanctuary. It's not like it had to be one or the other, and though it's all well and good to have a forum in which to sing the praises of the pre-SE OT, the TOS in the new discussion are pretty clear about the fact that just about everything we used to enjoy discussing in the Sanctuary are off-topic in the new "Vintage Star Wars" discussion, and subject to banning.

How is this, then, any different than what the rest of the JC Forums have turned into with regard to those of us who love Star Wars, but aren't enamored of absolutely everything that's been released film-wise?

9. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004

But Pat - there's still OT Lego Star Wars to look forward to?

10. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    LOL!! Indeed, Hud... OT Lego Star Wars shall be the great redeemer! ;^)

Hey, great news about your film! I take it it's going pretty well, eh?

11. geo_gnosis

geo_gnosis Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2006
    Oh, Hudnall, you are doing the 48-hour Film Project? Those are fun. I went to it in my city last year, and some friends had participated so I got to see their movie as well as the others. There was some great stuff to be seen. I hope your film does well in the voting! Is it Star Wars-related at all?

I will miss reading the Sanctuary, too. In my case, being a newer person, I still have lots of catch-up reading to finish---of older Sanctuaries, other old threads like Lord of the Script, and so on---so I will still have plenty of reading to entertain me for awhile.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, I'm not here to talk for the administration, but I'll just say that in my view, refocusing the premise of the thread, and attempting to make it more about what people like, than what they don't like, is not censorship or facism.

I'll leave it at that, though. If this is the end for you here Hudnall, I'll just say goodbye and thanks for all the discussions. Although we didn't often agree, I always respected your thoughful opinions. Good luck with the movie and whatever else you do. :)

13. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    It's not a "refocusing" of the thread... it's a completely new, unrelated thread. They could have just as easily started the new thread and left the Sanctuary alone.

14. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    A Sanctuary is a place to go for those to criticize the films. You should be able to talk without having to argue with someone coming to pick a fight. Just as you should be able to gush without someone bashing. Anyways -

yeah, 48 Hour Film Project. The competition for Little Rock is June 9-11. 18 teams I'm up against. I've put together a crew of about thirty people - some pros, some amateurs, some artists who just haven't done film. Things are progressing well and I've gotten approval on some great locations.

It's part luck of the draw but we'll see.

My team website is here: http://www.sundazemedia.net

Wish me luck! It's living a dream for sure!

15. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Wow! Best of luck to ya, Hud!!

16. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Hey Hudnall,

a few of us are over at Originaltrilogy.com, you know, just in case we need to bash...

;)

17. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Actually, I'm not going to lock this yet, because an explanation is deserved after five-and-a-half years, and I don't think sweeping this under the rug is the way to go. I went over some of this in the Sanct, I'll post more here and then move it to Comms where it belongs.

The general concensus by Strilo and myself is that the Sanctaury was good for venting while the PT was the new thing. Now, it's not the new thing anymore. (Ironically, the old thing is the new thing, but we can talk about that in the Golden Age thread.)

After the PT was over and done, Strilo felt the sanctuary had served its purpose. At the same time, he was torn on what to do about it. Lock it? Leave it? Change it? So we talked about it. We share a partnership and a responsiblity for this forum and have for two years, so we both feel it important to be on the same page on these things. He and I agreed that for people to come here and talk about nothing but how they hate the PT, after all this time, now that it was done, was tiring. And to be honest, perhaps a bit unhealthy. Now, I'm not talking PT bashing in and of itself. I'm still critical of the PT, or at least various elements, and even say so in various thread, so you might say I still bash. However, what we're talking about is the people who come here to do nothing but bash the PT.

Strilo felt that this was perpecuating a negative image in the JC. I knew two things (a) it wouldn't make a difference. If people are going to bash, they will bash. Sanctuary or no. Bashing pre-dates the sanctuary. (b) Not everyone in the sanctuary is here just to hate on the PT.

That being said, I did agree on a personal level that constant bashing wasn't the best. But, I didn't think that a good enough reason to lock the sanctuary, because there is still a lot of "good, clean" fun.

All that being said, it was clear to me that this place would go sooner or later. Too much drama, and I'm too tired of it. So is Strilo. What I didn't want is for the place to be locked and forgotten and that to be the end of the story. So, what to do? We discussed it further and decided to instead of having a thread where the (so-called) bashers could talk about what they hated, give them a thread to talk about what they liked. A number of you guys complained that you felt unwelcomed in CT because of the SE and the pro SE movement, so that gave me the idea for the Golden Age Thread. Strilo agreed that it would be a good legacy for the future. Then the rest of the admins agreed.

So that was that. It's not an ideal situation, in my opinion, but it is the best one. If we'd left things alone, one day an admin would come in and pull the carpet out from under you guys. If it was going to end, it was going to be by my doing and my terms. I spoke to some users about trying to push forward a positive image of bashers to help relieve concerns by the higher-ups, as we had once done in 2002-2003. But I was tuned out, and with that, I decided I couldn't personally, morally justify taking a stand for negativity. That's not how I want to be remembered, and I dare say others in the sanctuary would probably agree. I'll still support your right to say what you think about the PT whether its on-topic to do so, so will Strilo.

18. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    My original message:

19. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Actually - I wish you had just left it locked in the Community ... I only wanted to say goodbye to all of our good friends and readership. And in THIS forum , wherever I am , noone will find it ...

20. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Btw mods of this forum, you know, this thread won't last here. I know you too well.

Dear TFN,

Napoleon thought he was invincible until he tried conquering Russia.

Eventually, it all falls out from under you. I shall smile the day it all comes crashing down around. And it will come. When you've nearly closed your eyes a few months from now - overly confident and complacent - s storm will come to your land of Duloc.

I do promise you.

You know, in the future, I would try learning to live with others in peaceful coexistence. Even those you disagree with. I'd love to see people do it on this planet. Frankly, these "bashers" were never negative opinions. They are only "negative" from your point of view. There are always many sides to an issue.

Shutting down one voice. Ignoring one people. Genocide. It is just never the answer. Nature fights it. Like a rubber band that gets pulled to tight, eventually it snaps back. Diversity is the natural tendency of nature, and man's more selfish desire to CONFORM everything and everyone to a SELECT FEW's opinion will alway meet with disastrous end.

It's a shame. I liked some of you. But, people always self-destruct themselves.

Understanding. That is what life is about. Try it.

21. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    After what just happened, forgive me if I don't have any confidence in that any longer. [face_plain]

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Please. Spare everyone the usual melodramatic "fascist administration"/"you'll get yours someday", etc.

Some of us have been around long enough to see it over and over and over again, and it's all still here, isn't it?

Eventually, it all falls out from under you. I shall smile the day it all comes crashing down around. And it will come. When you've nearly closed your eyes a few months from now - overly confident and complacent - s storm will come to your land of Duloc.

I do promise you.

here's a counter-promise: Most people will roll their eyes at that. Stick to reasoned arguments and avoid exaggerated emotion. Otherwise you'll just end up alienating people who might be inclined to support you.

23. Patrick Russell

Jul 9, 1998
    Stryphe, I'm really sorry you felt that way about the Sanctuary. I certainly felt that there was a hell of a lot more to it than simply "people talking about nothing but how much they hate the PT," and I think a lot of others there did too.

But let's not pretend that the new thread has anything to do with the Sanctuary at all, or that it's some "progression" from the Sanctuary or whatever. The TOS in the new discussion makes it very, VERY clear that most of what was discussed in the Sanctuary is off-topic, and potentially grounds for being banned. Had the new discussion simply been added to the mix, I think it would have been fine. But as a "replacement" for the Sanctuary... sorry man, but that's stretching it way too far.

I've always liked and respected you, Stryphe, and I obviously don't know what sort of backroom political pressures you may have been under lately as one of the two Sanctuary mods. I feel bad that you're the one who gets to hear all this crap, but then again I also feel bad about a bunch of us essentially being eased out the door on this site, merely because we've got more to say about Star Wars than simply "It's all good." And I think you and I both realize on some level that this is precisely what's happening.

Anyway, again I'm sorry (and am pointedly saying so in public) if this creates any friction between you and I, but I've always been honest before when posting here and I see no reason to change that now.

(Thanks, by the bye, for leaving this discussion open a wee bit longer so as to, as you say, air things out. I agree, a number of folks will probably need something like this as part of the process.)

24. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    You know, in the future, I would try learning to live with others in peaceful coexistence. Even those you disagree with. I'd love to see people do it on this planet. Frankly, these "bashers" were never negative opinions. They are only "negative" from your point of view. There are always many sides to an issue.

Shutting down one voice. Ignoring one people. Genocide. It is just never the answer. Nature fights it. Like a rubber band that gets pulled to tight, eventually it snaps back. Diversity is the natural tendency of nature, and man's more selfish desire to CONFORM everything and everyone to a SELECT FEW's opinion will alway meet with disastrous end.

It's a shame. I liked some of you. But, people always self-destruct themselves.

Understanding. That is what life is about. Try it.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Shutting down one voice. Ignoring one people. Genocide. It is just never the answer.

You're making an analogy to genocide in this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.