main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tell us about the rabbit holes you’ve been down.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Feb 19, 2022.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Ever meant to be sending out invoices, but end up listening to Turkish Funk?

ITT tell us about the weird and wonderful rabbit holes you go down when left alone with internet access. What were you meant to be doing? What way did you go to end up getting where you did? How long did you spend there? What platform/s were you using? Did anyone walk in on you and say “WTF”?

I’ve been down a Spotify rabbit hole tonight. Started by listening to cover versions. Best one of the night is this sweet cover of Bowie’s Let’s Dance, by M. Ward.

Ended up searching up 80’s U.K. Rare Groove, and became transfixed with this random band’s album cover. It might be the best album cover in the world - ever.
    [​IMG]

EHT, SuperWatto, solojones and 4 others like this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    /close thread

Juliet316 , jcgoble3, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I wanted to put on some garbage music to listen while I'm playing. Nothing fancy, nothing difficult.
    There was a Sopranos video on You Tube among the recommended. I checked it out. Then other two. It made me desire being more systematic. So I went on Netflix, but no Sopranos there.
    I googled "where can I watch the Sopranos on streaming?". Googled told me Hulu.
    I went on Hulu. Opened a free trial account. Watched most of the first season.
    Still watching... Now I just noticed to my amusement that Christopher shoots at a random guy's foot, and this is a homage to Goodfellas, where the actor playing Christopher was just a kid, and gets shot on the foot by a delirious Joe Pesci.

EHT, Fifi Kenobi, Runjedirun and 5 others like this.
  5. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Good rabbit hole, Esmir!

3sm1r likes this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I once decided to search the internet for websites about Attack of the Clones.

Hello.

EHT, jcgoble3, Runjedirun and 5 others like this.
  7. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    And that ^ to our great chagrin is a bad rabbit hole.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    You're the one that made me a feature interview. What does that say?

EHT and Point Given like this.
  9. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
  10. Bob Saget from the 90's

Bob Saget from the 90's Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2018
    For a while I had an unhealthy obsession of watching police body cam/dashboard footage of other police getting pulled over for DWI’s and arrested. The combination of defiance, arrogance, and bargaining that they entail was just so damn entertaining. Most refuse to believe it is happening to them, and totally expect to get treated differently than if they were just a citizen. Then you get these arresting cops who, once they find out it’s another cop they pulled over, essentially apologize for “having to do this.” And it’s clear that if it wasn’t for the body cam these cops would have just been allowed to drive home. I should not have gotten so much glee out of these, but there is something about people who truly believe they are above the law get served their fair share of justice that is so satisfying.

Eventually I reached the videos that were more pathetic and sad than anything else, my zeal has since left me.

Point Given , Rew, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  11. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Bob, are you ok? Glad to see you are back on your feet.

12. Bob Saget from the 90's

Bob Saget from the 90's Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2018
    Would you like to hear about the great MK Ultra rabbit hole of 2013?

Tython Awakening and Kiki Jinn like this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I've been hooked on Solo Travels Japan. A guy, if it is a guy, we never see his face, books a 12-24 hour ferry trip from one part of Japan to another. We see his cabin and the assortment of green tea that comes with the cabin, plus whether or not he gets a free toothbrush, then he eats food out of a vending machine and reviews it. We don't know anything about what happens at the end of the ferry trip, or how he gets back. It's just sleeping on a ferry and eating ferry food. And walking around the ferry. But I've learned a lot about japanese cuisine that comes out of vending machines.

The coolest thing is that s/he films it in such a way as if s/he is the only person on the ship. It's like a Sartre novel where the main characters are dead. The living and the dead are invisible to each other as the dead spend the afterlife on an endless ferry loop between Tokyo and Shinmoji.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    mnjedi, EHT, Rew and 1 other person like this.
  14. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Yes, Bob, I would.

[​IMG]

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Funny you should mention that. While working remotely most of last year, I did a lot of youtube surfing for music to have in the background. I came across this ten minute set on NPR’s Tiny Desk Concert series, and it was love at first song. I’d describe their sound as an audio stew consisting of Thai funk, surf rock, Southwest blues, 70’s psychedelic rock, and hip-hop beats. Or…if you have ten minutes…

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    BTS did a Tiny Desk concert and it was glorious.

... Incidentally this is my rabbit hole that I keep falling further down. And loving it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll get back to studying Korean. Which I've now been doing wow, almost for a year. About 5-10 hours each week depending on classes and homework.

17. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I remember hovering over the rabbit hole of my choice, looking down, weighing decisions, then making the jump into the hole.

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Looking back, I'm kind of impressed that you did a whole Frost/Nixon thing about the state of Michigan.

19. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
  20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I have no idea what you are talking about. This is the only nurse movie I know. Spoilers for gore.

21. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I lost like a day and a half there. I was sick and only semi-coherent but I went there to check something and didn’t realise how long I was browsing…

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    @Rylo Ken that’s a pretty sweet YouTube channel. I just watched the one where they go to a smelly natural spa.

I went down a travel rabbit hole during lockdown - two in particular. First was Ogmios School of Zen Motoring. A tongue-in-cheek dashcam drive around London. Here’s one of him driving around a skanky part of North London

The other is comedian Alexi Sayle’s travels around London on a bike (filmed during lockdown (to get him out of the house I suppose)). I liked all his little factoids, as well as seeing the hometown.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    That not only do flat eathers think the earth is flat but some think there are other land masses and continents beyond the Antartica ice wall...

There are many variations of this kind of thing.
    [​IMG]

24. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Just this week. I watched this podcast on YouTube:
    How Washington’s Football Team Went from Racial Slur to the “Commanders” | The Daily Show - YouTube

They mentioned there are two current TV programs that actually feature or include Indigenous people. One of them is on Peacock called Rutherford Falls. I have Peacock I don't even remember this being advertised. I had to go to the search bar to find it. I wouldn't say I was on the edge of my seat, but I watched all 10 episodes, the entire first season.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I have seen some of these, I think because of the link to another bizarre YouTube subgenre I stumbled upon, people walking around cities. Just wandering around a neighborhood recording the view from street level. I found it fairly interesting just as a sort of virtual tourism. I can’t sit and watch a full-length video, but it’s interesting to sample.