main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Tell us your favorite memories!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jul 30, 2018.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    With Episode IX filming beginning on August 1 I've become nostalgic. We've all discussed our favorite moments from these films a million times so now let's all discuss our favorite memories of the lead ups to the films we've gotten so far. There's been so many great moments I've had here on the forums from the Disney sale announcement all the way up to now. I'm going to list my top five New Films memories:

5) The AT-WTF's

This was more of an inside joke among us New Films mods but we've mentioned it on the regular boards too. So during the lead up to Rogue One we decided to host a banner contest for the Anthology forum. We had a lot of great submissions but the best by far wasn't even an actual submission. @EHT created one of the most breathtaking pieces of art I've ever seen. A hand drawn banner that showed the famous scene from the trailer of the Rebels on the beach being attacked by AT-ACT's. I believe it was @Pro Scoundrel who gave them the moniker of AT-WTF and the name just stuck. We loved the banner so much we wanted to suspend the competition and use the AT-WTF banner permanently! :p

4) Joe Schmoe

Back in 2013 before we had anything worth discussing in New Films we had to find some why to amuse ourselves. One day @EHT, @Pro Scoundrel and I got into a fierce debate over the gaffing career of Joe Schmoe. I still say he is without doubt the worst gaffer ever but we had to eventually agree to disagree.

One of the stupidest conversations ever had on these forums starts here.

3) The 30th Anniversary of ROTJ

Now I know what you're thinking, "What the hell does the 30th anniversary of ROTJ have to do with the build up to the new films?" Well let me set the scene for those who weren't around during this time or for those who have forgotten this wonderful moment. So it was 2013 and like I said we had nothing of worth to actually discuss. Then came the 30th anniversary of ROTJ and they were having some kind of special showing of the film. Someone posted an image of the venue (I can't remember who or where they posted it) and in the image we saw that three chairs had been set up on the stage. That's when the craziness began. We were all starved for any info and when rumors began to circulate that the chairs were for George Lucas, Bob Iger and a special guest... well we all freaked out! It had to be Mark Hamill! They were going to announce the return of the Big 3!!! That... um... didn't happen. In fact neither George Lucas or Bob Iger were present at the screening and there was no special guest. To this day I still have no idea what those chairs were for. To say we were all devastated would be an massive understatement. Looking back on it though it was one of the best and craziest times I've had here.

2) Becoming a mod

For those who haven't been mods I'm not revealing anything here because what happens in mod squad stays in mod squad but I will say this... it's definitely an eye opening experience. This isn't so much a lead up moment but it was definitely one of the best memories I have here. Joining a mod team that already contained @A Chorus of Disapproval, @EHT, @mavjade, @PrincessKenobi, @Jedi Merkurian and the others was definitely daunting too. [face_nail_biting]

1) The trailer for TFA

Nothing can possibly top the pure excitement of that very first teaser released for TFA. Seeing the first new footage of a Star Wars film in almost ten years was incredible. Of course the forum crashed and when it finally came back up it took forever to post anything. But that was part of the charm. :p And there was always about 12 pages to read through when you were finally able to navigate the forums. How those people were able to post I have no idea!

Honorable mention: The release of TFA. This one could be on the list easily. That final day on the forum before seeing the film was such a great experience!

Anyway, these are some of my favorite memories. There's many more that I'm sure I'll share. Tell us some of yours!

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Joey Arnold.

Joey Arnold is my favorite memory.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think my favorite stupidly amusing memory is when we all started briefly speculating that Domhnall Gleeson's character could be a young clone of Tarkin. Why else haven't they announced his name yet??? was our genius, unimpeachable reasoning. To date, it might be the dumbest piece of speculation I've actively engaged in.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    My favourite memory; going to the first force Friday in London, for midnight launch of toys, to bag myself a bb8. Went to the pub to pass the time and got slightly tipsy, and was posting on here all evening from the pub then the queue, then, when Daisy and John turned up, going from “hmmm, this guy is double posting a LOT, but about a queue and pub food” to “oh ****!!!! Updates! Updates!” and then getting a discreet reminder from a mod later on that while drunk posting isn’t banned per se, I might want to tone it down a bit

EHT and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You're right. It deserves to be number one. In fact it's probably my favorite movie even if it's not a movie! :p

Force Friday's have been a blast! Especially the one for TLJ when I had to survive a typhoon. I posted updates on my harrowing experience throughout the night. :p

EHT likes this.
  7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The initial period right after Disney's purchase was announced sticks out. Pretty chaotic, an influx of new and returning users, old feuds reawakened, speculation on countless story ideas--just an exciting time when there was nothing to go on but possibility.

And of course I must mention the Sanctuary. What I appreciated the most (aside from the humor) was finding common ground with others I might not have agreed with about everything in the past.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember reading about the Disney sale and thinking it was an Onion article.

MotivateR5D4 and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When we named Bobbajo Bob before we knew his name.

EHT, Darth Chiznuk and TCF-1138 like this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    What made that even more memorable is the fact that Lucasfilm actually stole the name! [face_laugh]

EHT likes this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Three things come immediately to mind.

1. The announcement. That first day when we heard about the sale and that EpVII-IX would finally get made. I thought it was a joke when I first read about it (on a LOTR forum), but then I checked TF.N, and... well, here I am. I had been mostly absent from the forums for a few years by then, but I logged back in as soon as I realized it wasn't a joke.
    I sometimes feel like I still have to remind myself that there are two episodes of the ST out already.
    I think my s.o. might have considered leaving me that day, when she saw how incredibly geeky I really am, as I hadn't been that excited about anything nerdy since the PT - way before I met her. :p

2. The casting announcement. As soon as I saw that picture, and saw that the Big Three were in, I was more or less jumping up and down in my chair out of excitement.

3. The first teaser. I mean, come on! The first live-action SW footage in almost a decade, and our very first look at the GFFA 30 years after ROTJ. Seeing the X-Wings, Kylo with his awesome lightsaber, and of course the Falcon once again - while I'll probably always be excited for every new Star Wars movie that comes out, I don't think anything will ever match that feeling again.

Darth Chiznuk and EHT like this.
  12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I still think so. I still need to find proof of this somehow. [face_thinking]

TCF-1138 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Sounds like a perfect excuse for a roadtrip to sneak into Lucasfilm headquarters! :p

EHT and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Between the Stardust and hyperspace tracking files, we’ll find a file called “JCForumsCharacterName”.

Darth Chiznuk and TCF-1138 like this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I remember literally just a few days before the announcement my brother asked me if I wanted them to make an ST and telling him that it doesn't matter because George would never do it. It's kinda hard to remember now two films into the ST just how unlikely it seemed before the Disney sale. I thought we'd get the live action series eventually and I was excited about that and I thought maybe they'd make another animated series one day but the ST was pretty much the last thing I ever expected to happen.

I found out about it in a pretty similar way to you. I was reading a completely unrelated article on IGN I think and at the bottom of the page it had a link to another article that said something like "George Lucas Sells Lucasfilm to Disney" and I remember thinking that that had to be BS. So I googled it and discovered it was very real. That's when I immediately came back here and signed back up. It wasn't until we got that first George Lucas interview with Kennedy that it started to sink in though. It's been a wild ride ever since.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  16. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Going to my local library a few days after seeing ANH SE in theaters (I saw them out of order) and hearing that there were Star Wars books that continue the story!!

I literally screamed with amazed delight. Really screamed.

In the library.

I’ll never live that down.

17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I feel like the announcement is literally when my life changed for the better. On the same day a small the announcement I was literally exchanging tentative pm’s on a dating site with a woman who I’m now married to

18. Joey Arnold

Joey Arnold Jedi Knight

Mar 21, 2015
    Did you say Joey Arnold? Wow. Thanks.