main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Temple Raid Aftermath

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LordVader66, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    after the temple was raided we all know that Anakin headed off to Mustafar and Sidious gave a speech to the senate. With the temple beacan telling any remaining jedi to come back, Sidious only left a relativly small amount clones to kill the remaining jedi that showed up. ill give him a break that he was pretty sure kenobi was dead, but the fact the yoda was still out there, i mean give me a break. i believe this was bad post-raid planning by sidious (or vader) and they should have had at least half the amount of clones that it took to raid the temple stay there for at least a week or so after.

thoughts?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, we only saw the front enterence scene. In the novelization, there were more Clonetroopers inside the Temple. Mostly cataloging the names of the deceased. Yoda and Obi-wan roam the hallways, occassionally killing Clonetroopers that they cannot avoid.

For all we know this might've been true in the film, but Lucas didn't wish to focus on this.

3. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Is it stated anywhere how many Clones are left at the Temple?
    We only see a few, but I think the place is probably littered with them.
    I'm also confused by your assuming Sidious thought Obi-Wan was dead, but
    ....the fact that Yoda was still out there.

Where is it stated that Sidious did'nt assume Yoda was dead?
    We knew he was alive, but Sidious apparently thought otherwise:

Darth Sidious after Yoda enters his office: "Master Yoda... you survived"
    as if he had'nt anticipated on that happening.
    [face_peace]

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The only real sense we have of how many clones are left in the temple is by the one's in the floating pod with Sidious and on the landing platform with Bail. But how many would really be needed to pluck the unsuspecting Jedi out of the sky as they return to a flase signal?

5. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    ill give him a break that he was pretty sure kenobi was dead, but the fact the yoda was still out there, i mean give me a break. i believe this was bad post-raid planning by sidious (or vader) and they should have had at least half the amount of clones that it took to raid the temple stay there for at least a week or so after.

Yoda was supposed to be dead too. While Sids could sense Vader, we dont know if he could sense other Jedi too. Sids confidence would lead him to believe that the clones did their job and the Jedi were dead. Another problem is we dont have an exact timeline. Also, if they had too many clones around the temple, that would have scared off any returning Jedi. Maybe the clones had a trap that basically only Yoda was clever enough to foil.

6. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Clearly Sidious and his cronies thought Yoda was alive if his dead green body was undiscovered. They state as much in the film.

7. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Clearly Sidious and his cronies thought Yoda was alive if his dead green body was undiscovered. They state as much in the film.

That was later in the Senate scene. Yoda was supposed to be disposed of on Kashyykk.

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    And the clones hunted in droves through the night operating only by the light of their vehicles to ensure Jedi were dead.

9. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    of course sidious knew yoda because the clones that tried to kill yoda were did and obviously the clones had to report to a higher up if their part of order 66 had been accomplished

10. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    Yeah I can see why an army of clones hanging around the Temple wasn't used as it makes Obi-Wan and Yoda's journey through the Temple more personal if they aren't continually cutting down clones.

11. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Any Jedi - Obi-Wan and Yoda being the two known exceptions - returning to Coruscant after the execution of Order 66 would not have known why they were being recalled back to the capital. As a result, they wouldn't have made any attempts to conceal their identity as Jedi. Thus, they would've informed the fleets surrounding Coruscant of their presense upon arriving. Then, chances are, they would've either been shot down immediately or instructed to board a ship, where they would be summarily executed. Once more, Obi-Wan and Yoda had to travel all the way from Polis Massa, deep in the Outer Rim, to get to Coruscant. I suspect that, by the time they arrived, the 501st had cleared the Temple, leaving only a couple of squads or platoons behind to deal with any stragglers.

12. Headphonekenobi

Headphonekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    I think Sids thought both of them were dead. As already pointed out he was surprised when Yoda walked into his chambers and the clone troopers reported to Cody that "no one could have survived that fall" so that counts Obi out.

I think the clones were looking for Yoda on Kashyyyk during the short night search scene and did not want to report a failure to Sids until they had no other option and had not found Yoda or his body in which case ended up being too late.

13. Kenobi_1349

Kenobi_1349 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    i think sids thought yoda was dead. just the way he said "you survived" to yoda seems to indicate that he thought yoda was dead. it was almost as if he was kicking himself for having lax anti-jedi plans in place at the temple and senate. it was like "your alive. i should have figured"

14. jedi_vs_sith1138

jedi_vs_sith1138 Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2005
    i think a better questio is why was the temple left standing

15. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    Because the temple contains invaluable materials and information that the Empire can use against their enemies.

16. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Because the temple contains invaluable materials and information that the Empire can use against their enemies.

Yep, no reason to raze a perfectly good building because of the former occupants. Sids just could have had the place fumigated to get rid of the jedi smell. :p

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Imagine fumigating Palpatine's office, throne room and personal quarters after ROTJ. [face_sick]

18. MayITakeYourOrder66

MayITakeYourOrder66 Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005

What did become of the temple after the Purge? Did the emperor turn it into his castle or something like that? Anyone know?

19. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    i believe this was bad post-raid planning by sidious (or vader) and they should have had at least half the amount of clones that it took to raid the temple stay there for at least a week or so after.

It's explained in the film. With Palps at a special session in the Senate, protecting him was a higher priority for the clones than guarding the temple when it's assumed that the Jedi were wiped out.

YODA: If a special session of Congress there is, easier for us to enter the Jedi Temple it will be.

20. Adm_Thrawn

Dec 19, 2004
    If I remember correctly, Palpatine built his palace around the ruins of the Temple. If I remember correctly....

21. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    Because the temple was sending out signals calling all surviving Jedi to return. So Sidious used the temple as a trap.
    And of course because of all the Jedi knowledge, holocrons and stuff that's in it (as has already been mentioned). Sidious had never been inside the temple before, so he'd probably want to have a look... :)

I could be mistaken, but isn't the Jedi Temple visible in the background in the celebration scenes at the end of ROTJ? (DVD version that is).

22. Adm_Thrawn

Dec 19, 2004
    I think so. I'll work on getting a screenshot. ;)

23. Headphonekenobi

Headphonekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    Yes it is... and like any good dictator he has a large statue of himself out front (which is being toppled in the celebration scene)

24. Sith_Master_Metz

Sith_Master_Metz Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2004
    i think sidious went by the feed back he got from his clones.
    cmdr cody must of reported kenobi dead.. yoda left no evidence
    of being killed. but yoda went to degobah so his presence would
    be masked. so with the all the jedi council dead, why leave half
    a clone legion behind? all the normal jedi were killed. or so sidious thought..

25. Crazy_Old_Kermit

Crazy_Old_Kermit Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't think that's the Jedi Temple where the statue comes down. That looks to be just a different area of Coruscant. However, you see the Jedi Temple and the Senate in the background, which as cool as it is to see prequel stuff in the OT is a big mistake I think. What is the Jedi Temple now? Is it a Sith Temple? Wouldn't Palps have wanted to just trash the whole thing?

Side note for EU fans, does Luke even find a Jedi Temple when the New Republic gets started?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.