main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I was hoping it would be more T1 than T2, but I'm probably in the minority.

2. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Chris Bale as rebel leader? I guess he could always reprise his role from Reign of Fire, but I don't know if I want a brooding Bale, spouting pessimisms about the end of the world again.

I still have a hard time seeing how they could stretch this into three films (of course, they can, but Jesus...), but would Bale really star in another potential trilogy?

It would be interesting to see him let loose and do a bad guy part like American Psycho, but letting loose isn't exactly what Terminators (or Bale these days, for that matter) are known for, so I guess that won't happen. What's Diesel's role in all this? He'll probably just be Connor's right hand. Either that, or the first Terminator model.

The thing is, the Terminators were always intended to be infiltrator models that looked pretty unmemorable. If you check out some of the original pre-production artwork, this is obvious. Plus, Henriksen was orignally cast in the role, before being pushed aside for the larger-than-life Ahnuldt. This "skinny guy" idea was then revisited in T2.

This is definitely a step in the right direction, but I wonder if it can save the movie. I have no personal vendetta against McG, but Bale's most praised work was with directors like Nolan and Herzog. McG is no Chris Nolan or Werner Herzog. So his presence alone isn't enough. Everything else has to be right. I'm also not sure how much I believe this. Of course, if you'd told me the cast of Batman Begins back in 2003, I wouldn't believe it, either.

3. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    What? I've gone back through this whole thread and can't find any mention of Chris Bale, Vin Diesel or a movie.... Is there a link to something I'm not seeing?

This thread is about the Terminator TV show... right?

4. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Yep, "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" is the title of the Terminator television show. :)

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, I'm looking for the Vin Diesel linkage, myself.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I haven't got link to it, but there is another thread discussing a rumored Christian Bale/Terminator Salvation trilogy.

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    There was some discussion of that taking place in the Terminator film thread. Here's a link to the AICN article about it.

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yes, I've seen the Christian Bale linkage. Vin Diesel, not so much.

9. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    I saw a TV spot for it today and it looks interesting.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    New interview w/ Summer Glau!

Thanks to Terminatorfiles for the heads up!

[image=http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/Erika_PLJ/Summer%20Glau/50033.jpg]

Summer Glau Talks Playing A Teenage 'Terminator'

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (November 30, 2007) ? While plenty of America?s favorite shows are out of production over the Writer?s Guild of America strike, fans shouldn?t worry that their primetime schedule will become fully immersed in reality. There?s plenty of already-filmed new shows gearing up for debuts, including Fox?s ?Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.?

Summer Glau is getting ready to burst on to the small screen in the series, beginning January 13 and 14 on Fox, by taking on the role first made famous by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The 26-year old, who sci-fi fans fell in love with when she played River in the ?Firefly? TV series and ?Serenity? film, stars as Cameron, a teenage terminator helping to protect the Connor family.

The role may have helped turn Arnold into an action hero legend, but Summer told Access Hollywood she hadn?t even seen any of the ?Terminator? films when she got the call to audition. She did have an idea, however, of what a terminator was and Summer told Access, it certainly wasn?t her.

?I had in my mind what I thought they would want for a girl terminator and I definitely didn?t think that I fit that criteria and so I didn?t want to go on the audition,? she said. ?My mom was actually the one who said ?You?re getting in the car and you?re going to that audition!? I thought I would get in the room and I wouldn?t look like the rest of the girls. I thought they would want statuesque, icy blondes.?

[image=http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/Erika_PLJ/Summer%20Glau/50034.jpg]

Summer said things changed when she found out ?Black Dahlia? screenwriter Josh Friedman was executive producing the project.

?I didn?t realize it was Josh Friedman?s show, that he was the creator. I respect him so deeply and when I saw that he was in charge I thought, well maybe he has some kind of idea and that?s why I?m here ,? she recounted. ?Sure enough, the kind of terminator that he wanted to create, was someone that you wouldn?t expect, someone that could hide in society and fit in and look like a normal teenage girl and [who] stepped up when she needed to.?

In the series, Summer plays Cameron, a terminator who pretends to be the daughter of Sarah (Lena Heady) and sister of John Connor, played byThomas Dekker of ?Heroes? (he played Claire Bennet?s best friend in Season One) fame.

?Yeah, I?m kind of like John?s bodyguard. I go to school with him. If he goes out of the house, I pose as his sister. I?m his bodyguard,? she explained.

Summer said that although they?ve only filmed eight episodes and despite the fact her terminator is a pretend sister, a romance could be in the cards for Cameron and John.

?I faked a lot of things at the show. I?m constantly mimicking humans and they have subtly insinuated that things could go in that direction, but at this point, our relationships, they?re developing,? she said. ?There?s sort of a strange family dynamic right now and we don?t know what we are to each other really.?

Fans of Summer will be pleased to know the athletic star has plenty of butt-kicking scenes in the new series. Right off the bat, in the first episode, there?s a major fight scene with an evil, male terminator played by Owain Yeoman.

?We rehearsed it for a while . . . There were a lot of breakaway walls, so we had to know exactly what to do and then we shot it quickly because once you break something, you can?t unbreak it,? she says. ?So it was all choreographed and we worked it all out and on the day we shot it, it happened real quickly.?

?Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles? will feature of plenty of terminators after the family ? and detective James Ellison, played by Richard T. Jones.

?It?s really cool to watch him uncover things he doesn?t want to believe are true about [Sarah?s] life and what she?s bee

11. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Summer rules in general, but her use of "fantastical" makes me smile :) :p

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Had mentioned this article I came across while in a discussion over in Amp, which I thought was interesting:

Guiding The Sarah Connor Chronicle

IGN TV: Are you working within the continuity of the Terminator movies, specifically Terminator 3?

Friedman: We're gonna go off on our own. I think the thing about T3 is, obviously there was just no Sarah Connor and that's something the fans were never happy with. I don't even think the people who made T3 were happy with that. It just wasn't a choice of theirs. You know, Linda Hamilton was going through some things and didn't want to be a part of it. They had a script at one point I know; there was a T3 that had Sarah in it. I've never read it. I don't know anything about it. But I know that they did and they wanted to do that. They wanted it to be kind of her trilogy, and it never could be. So I think that my feeling was this TV series to me sort of serves as the third act to that trilogy - what could have happened had we followed that after T2. So I almost think of this as T3. To me it takes the place of T3. But also I think that sort of in the spirit of Terminator, it's an alternate timeline. I know a lot of people get very worked up about the continuity and the canon and all that stuff. What I try to do is stay very, very true to the first two movies and then sort of take it from there. But always remain true to the spirit of everyone's intent and again, take some time with this woman and explore what maybe would have happened.

IGN TV: So we shouldn't expect her to get leukemia in Season 3?

Friedman: You should not expect her to get leukemia in Season 3? Unless Lena really pisses me off.

The real trick is the series executive producer also mentioned that SCC will contain a link to Terminator Salvation...so it's a possibility that SCC will replace T3 in the timeline of TS, which might be while they're referring to things as a reboot of sorts.

13. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Why does she remind me of a Charlie's Angels?

14. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    EDIT: Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread...

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Smells like Highlander. [face_plain]

16. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Another Summer interview - not too much different in it:

Summer Glau Gives Hints on "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles"

From BuddyTV.com

Many are excited to see how FOX will continue the Terminator film franchise with its new series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but there are also those who have doubts and qualms on the fate of the new science fiction drama given that it may not live up to its hype and may eventually suffer poor reviews and unsatisfactory ratings. Amidst all the mixed sentiments, cast member Summer Glau talks about her character and the show, hoping to entice spectators to stick around and stay glued for the rest of the season.

As an extension to the Terminator franchise, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles follows Sarah Connor (Lena Headey), a fugitive who decides to stop running and go on the offense against an ever-evolving technological enemy bent intended to destroy her life, and perhaps the world. Her son, John (Thomas Dekker) knows that he may be the future savior of mankind but is not yet ready to carry this weight on his shoulder. Though they are constantly pursued by threats from the future and authorities, they are aided by a fearless protector, Cameron (Summer Glau), an unknown Terminator model in the most human form yet.

As a teenage Terminator whose primary task is to protect the Connor family, Glau, whose credits include Firefly and Serenity, takes over the role made famous by Arnold Schwarzenegger. But on the new series, she pretends to be the daughter of Sarah and sister of John, and also poses as a student at his school.

?Yeah, I'm kind of like John's bodyguard. I go to school with him. If he goes out of the house, I pose as his sister. I'm his bodyguard,? Glau explained to Access Hollywood.

On the other hand, Cameron posing as part of the Connors doesn't mean that romance won't be in the cards for her and John.

?I faked a lot of things at the show. I'm constantly mimicking humans and they have subtly insinuated that things could go in that direction, but at this point, our relationships, they're developing,? she said. ?There's sort of a strange family dynamic right now and we don't know what we are to each other really.?

Though production of the series hasn't been completed, Glau already hints that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles will feature plenty of terminators after the family and a lot of action scenes, beginning with the first episode where she takes on an evil male terminator played by Owain Yeoman (The Nine).

Source

17. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    Interesting stuff. It's interesting that she addressed the potential issue of ratings in the interview. If the cost of production is high, I could see the show ending quickly if the ratings do not deliver.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I hope romance isn't in the cards. Seriously, do you really want John to be hot for a machine. That's just creepy.

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Nah. Don't forget Sarah's ruminations about the T-800 as a father for John. It's a common thread in these sorts of stories; how much and what kinds of artificial intelligence does it take before a machine can be considered a kind of life form?

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Believe it or not - it looks like Cameron/John will have 'something' between them. Summer has said that it would be impossible for real love or anything considering that she's a machine, but that she respects the hell out of John and would do anything for him.

In some ways I think it's rather brilliant to have a young terminator come in who can blend in to protect John and help him through the time of day when Sarah can't be there to protect him (school)- the opening sequence of the Pilot shows why that would become important to Sarah. John's obviously not able to really bond w/ anyone since they move around a lot and Sarah forces him to be secretive about who he is, so having Cameron become a confident and close friend will happen. He's a teenager w/ hormones, Cameron is hot, he very likely will be attracted to her...in a strange way.

Will they be slobbering all over each other? No...god I hope not. I can see them working to get to know each other though. I think it would be crucial for John's journey towards becoming the great leader - this way he'll know that there are more models out there who can be trusted other than just the one Arnie played in T2. And likely if he is affectionate towards her and has good memories of his time w/ her (just saying them being close friends) that he won't hesitate to send her back in time to protect him all over again. She's also a bit of a softer vision of the future that will make his journey seem slightly less frightening.

I'm just hoping they don't let the star-crossed lovers angle take over - it can lurk there in the background, rather like on THE X-FILES and I'd be happy. Sarah and John need to be the main part of the story, everything is secondary to their fight for survival.

21. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I think the sexbot angle makes real-world sense, and I like that the show's creators have the courage to let that element into the story.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    There's a difference between a Terminator as a father figure and a sex object though. One is good and one is bad.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "So, Cameron, are you able to..ya know..."

"I have detailed files."

;)

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I notice that you said 'sex object' rather than something like 'sexual partner'. 'Sex object' is NOT what I'm talking about here; treating your partner as an object would be just as wrong with a human as with a machine. If John can have an emotional relationship with a 'father' terminator, why not an emotional relationship with a 'lover' terminator? Aren't the levels of unending commitment that Sarah remarked to be perfect for a father very much like the traits we seek in lovers?

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I hadn't been that interested in this series, though I planned to check it out.

Untill my daughter came home with my comics in a bag with the Sumer Glau robot pic on the bag.

I have to say this excited me a bit more, though her as a Terminator is pretty much River all over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.