main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before the Saga Terrarium Takeover (Qui-Gon and Dooku Humorous Oneshot)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by devilinthedetails, Jan 19, 2020.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 19, 2019
    Title: Terrarium Takeover

Author: devilinthedetails

Characters: Dooku; Qui-Gon Jinn

Genre: Humor; General

Timeline: Before TPM while Qui-Gon is Dooku's Padawan.

Summary: While his Master is out, Qui-Gon makes some decor changes.

Terrarium Takeover

It was midwinter in the hemisphere of Coruscant where the Jedi Temple stood. Wind tore through the canyons dividing the towering structures that carved out the artificial terrain, hammering at the transparisteel viewports like an angry guest pounding for admittance. Day after day dawned with clouds heavy and bleak gray as the durasteel skytowers and superskytowers that defined and created the largest city in the galaxy. Dooku could only assume the oppressive atmosphere of the unrelenting gray weather was why his Padawan had chosen to redecorate their aesthetically simple colors in a lurid fashion that could only be described by any sane sentient as garishly florid.

Returning from a long conversation in the Archives—Jocasta Nu could be quite insightful and incisive about the rampant corruption in the Senate—Dooku was shocked to discover plants in a rainbow of hues had invaded every available surface in the common area of the quarters he shared with Qui-Gon. They hung from the viewport overlooking the ever-congested skylanes of Coruscant in clear teardrops and bloomed in pedestal bowl centerpieces on every side table. Qui-Gon was apparently trying to grow a green thumb without warning.

“What is all of this, Padawan?” Dooku propped his fists on his hips, staring at the plants that had conquered his quarters during his visit to the Archives. His apprentice had some nerve, forever pushing the boundaries of acceptable behavior and Jedi decorum.

“Terrariums.” Qui-Gon glanced up from arranging a purple plant in a pedestal bowl with such an innocent smile on his face that Dooku was certain the overgrown boy hadn’t meant to break the rules. He’d just been following some internal dictate from the Force without considering whether his action were in line with appropriate Jedi conduct or would be appreciated by his Master. As if to confirm this, Qui-Gon went on, “I thought they’d look beautiful and nurture my connection with the Living Force as I grew them.”

The Living Force. It was always the Living Force that resonated with Qui-Gon, calling out to him in a way nobody else could hear or understand. It was a unique and infuriating quality. One that Dooku both encouraged and disdained.

“You couldn’t have admired the plants in the gardens and volunteered to help tend those to nurture your connection with the Living Force?” Dooku arched an exasperated eyebrow, hands still rooted to his hips.

“I could’ve.” The lights in Qui-Gon’s eyes dimmed at last. “I just thought having plants might brighten our quarters, but you don’t like them.”

“Whether I like them or not is besides the point.” Almost against his will, Dooku found himself softening in response to his apprentice’s disappointment. Qui-Gon had meant well as he always did. Hands falling from his hips, Dooku sighed. “They’ll die when you can’t water them while we’re away on missions. It’s hard for a Jedi to be a gardener unless his traveling days are done.”

“You needn’t worry about that, Master,” Qui-Gon assured him, radiant grin reasserting itself like the winter sun peeking out from behind a hovering gray cloud. “They’re air plants. All of them are more likely to be killed by overwatering than underwatering. They only need watering once a week.”

At least Qui-Gon had done some research rather than acting purely on impulse, but still…

“Our missions often last longer than a week,” pointed out Dooku, tartness re-entering his tone.

“I know.” Qui-Gon nodded in a calm manner that suggested he had already resolved this problem. “I’ll ask my friends to water them for me while I’m away on missions.”

“Oh? Are all your friends horticulturalists?” Dooku couldn’t refrain from posing this ironic inquiry as he strode toward his room, which he hoped was a sanctuary from garish plants.

“No.” Qui-Gon’s voice was steady, ignoring the cutting edge to Dooku’s words. “But they’ll water the plants for me if I ask them to because they’re my friends.”

Dooku allowed his snort to eloquently convey what he thought of that notion, but as he opened his door to find more teardrop terrariums strung from his viewport, his sarcasm emerged from him in an acerbic demand: “Why have you turned my room into a greenhouse, Padawan?”

“A handful of terrariums does not a greenhouse make, Master.” Qui-Gon’s quiet chuckle left no doubt he was teasing Dooku. “They add color to a room. They don’t turn it into a greenhouse.”

“Next time ask permission before hanging up terrariums in my room.” Dooku’s lips thinned as he surveyed the room. The plants did add color to a room that had been gray and starkly bare for more years than Dooku wanted to count. He gave his apprentice a wintry, shadowy smile. “They do add color to the room, though. You were right about that, and, for that, I’ll forgive your boldness. The terrariums may stay unless they give me allergies. If they give me allergies, they’re going to the scrapheap at lightspeed.”

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Force Ghost star 5

Feb 27, 2014
    Hah! [face_laugh] This was really cute! The title really grabbed my attention—I knew at once this would be something different and interesting and laugh-out-loud funny, and it certainly was. And a combination of characters one doesn't see every day—it's fun to see a younger Qui-Gon. :p And now we know part of what helped give him his strong connection to the Living Force! I can just picture how colorfully lush and crowded their apartment was; probably looked much Hyacinth Bucket's house looked when she put on her "outdoors indoors luxury barbecue with finger buffet" in one of the early episodes of Keeping Up Appearances. Thanks so much for sharing and bringing some much-needed laffs to my day! =D= (And I have to ask... did Dooku turn out to be allergic, or not? :p )

3. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Findswoman Thank you so much for commenting!:D I'm so glad you found this cute and amusing. It's nice to know that the title caught your eye as something interesting, different, and humorous. This was a bit more whimsy and humorous a story than I normally write, but it was somewhat inspired by my own recent efforts to grow my green thumb with houseplants. I had fun writing about a young Qui-Gon, seeing what would be the same and what would be different about him, and exploring his relationship with Dooku was interesting to me as well. I loved the idea of Qui-Gon nurturing his connection with the Living Force by growing plants, so I'm so happy you appreciated that detail as well. Oh, yes, that is a great mental image for how lush and colorful Qui-Gon made their apartment. As to your question, I like to imagine that Dooku wasn't allergic and ended up keeping the plants for awhile, but it's certainly open to reader interpretation[face_laugh]

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Oddly_Salacious

Oddly_Salacious Jedi Master star 1

Dec 5, 2005
    A run read! Heh --my other thoughts got wiped out by @Findswoman 's comment. Now all I can see is Darth Bookae.

devilinthedetails and Findswoman like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Dooku is definitely the opposite of an "old softie" :p Love seeing a younger Qui-Gon... He keeps that wonderful connection to the Living Force and also that endearing quality of savoring and making life fun. [face_thinking] He's not "hidebound", a stickler for rules that don't need to be enforced. :rolleyes:

Findswoman and devilinthedetails like this.
  6. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Oddly_Salacious Thanks so much for commenting!:) I'm glad that you found this a fun read, since I found it very fun to write myself.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha As always, thank you so much for commenting! I agree that Dooku is definitely the opposite of an old softie[face_laugh] His is a much more severe personality. I had a ton of fun writing a younger version of Qui-Gon. I like to picture him as always having this wonderfully deep connection to the Living Force and this great desire to savor life and make it as enjoyable as possible. Qui-Gon is definitely not one to be a stickler for rules or to follow them without question. He sort of marches to the beat of his own drum, a beat that only he can hear sometimes. At least that is my mental image of him when I write him.

Oddly_Salacious and Findswoman like this.
  7. SynCrow

SynCrow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    An enjoyable, short one-shot in a period of time that isn't explored enough; Dooku and Qui-Gon. I liked the inclusion of a younger, Padawan learner Qui-Gon using flowers to develop his connection to the Living Force, and I could imagine Dooku saying the dialogue which is a testament to your characterization.

Really nice vocabulary as well, it gave the prose a fluid feel to it that made it end all too quickly and left me wanting more, which is a sign of good writing, of course.

I'll be checking out your other one-shots throughout the evening. :)

8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @SynCrow Thank you so much for commenting! I'm happy to hear that you found this short oneshot to be an enjoyable read. I agree that this is an era that isn't explored often enough: Qui-Gon's time as Dooku's master. It was really interesting for me to be able to explore what a younger Qui-Gon might have been like and how he might have developed some of his connection to the Living Force. I'm so pleased that you felt you could imagine Dooku saying the lines of dialogue in this piece, since I really wanted to capture Dooku's character in this piece as well.

So glad that you enjoyed the vocabulary and felt it contributed to a fluid feel to the prose.

I hope you enjoy any of my other works that you decide to check out!:)

SynCrow and Findswoman like this.
  9. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Jedi Master star 3

Nov 27, 2013
    We absolutely need more stories about gardening/plants in SW! :D Qui-Gon is a gardener--yup, headcanon accepted. Dooku not really liking the plants...is he more of a plastic plant/cactus person? :p Great connection between a young Qui-Gon and his (not so green-thumbed) Master! :D

devilinthedetails likes this.
  10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @gizkaspice Thank you so much for reading and commenting! You're right that plant and gardening stories are definitely under-explored in Star Wars, so this piece was a great opportunity for me to delve into that relatively uncharted territory. :D The idea of Qui-Gon as a gardener just hit me and seemed to be so perfectly consistent with his focus on the Living Force, so it makes me very happy that you've accepted that head canon. Dooku might indeed be more of a plastic plant/cactus person since he wouldn't have to water it. [face_laugh] So glad that you liked the connection between a young Qui-Gon and his not-so-green-thumbed Master. I had a lot of fun exploring the dynamics between these two.

gizkaspice and Findswoman like this.
  11. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 18, 2002
    This was lovely. Ever since TPM, Qui-Gon has been one of my favorite characters, and the younger version portrayed here sounds very much like his older self. ("A handful of terrariums does not a greenhouse make, Master.") I notice that Qui-Gon sticks to his beliefs without being either disrespectful or arrogant about it -- characteristics we also see later in TPM.

And it makes sense that Qui-Gon would do research on the plants -- they are living things that have evolved to fill a certain niche, and have needs of their own outside anything sentient beings might want. There should be harmony in the Living Force, or at least balance.

Thank you for a glimpse into a seldom-seen time in the Star Wars universe.

Findswoman and devilinthedetails like this.
  12. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Seldes_Katne Thank you so much for commenting!:) I'm so glad that you found this story lovely since for me it was a very fun one to write. Like you, I've been a fan of Qui-Gon Jinn since TPM came out. I often just write Qui-Gon in his adult role as Master of Obi-Wan, so it was nice for me to explore what a younger Qui-Gon apprenticed to Dooku might have been like. You're right that Qui-Gon does seem to have this gift for sticking up for his beliefs without getting disrespectful or arrogant about it, which I think is something that makes him a very unique character and might have been a trait he had throughout his life.

I definitely picture Qui-Gon as the type who would do research on plants before taking the responsibility of caring for them, because as you say plants are living things that have their own needs apart from what sentient beings might want or find convenient and Qui-Gon would want to be able to ensure that he could meet those needs. And I totally envision him having a soft spot for all living things including plants because they are essential for harmony and balance in the Living Force.

It was really a pleasure for me to write this story set in a seldom-seen time in the Star Wars Universe, and I'm so happy that you enjoyed reading it! Thank you again for your kind words!:D

Findswoman likes this.