main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Terror attacks in Europe

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, not clicking on that.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's....a wikipedia article about a massacre

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, lovely - with or without decapitations?

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't follow, what's your issue with reading wikipedia articles?

5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    photos dude. I feel Ben on this. wiki can be very arbitrary as to when they just flat out show brutal violence or not

And frankly still shouldn't be, given that terrorist is just a label we assign to exempt someone from human rights

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    V's picked up on it.

I have no problem with Wikis but, from B's post info alone, there was no way to tell what it was and since the topic discussed was decapitation....

vncredleader likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I hate you :p, as I am now down a Wikipedia rabbit hole.

Also, I dearly hope something like this doesn't happen on Election Day here in the states this year.

8. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Watto: Muricans
    Glitter: Hold my beer
    Juliet: clutches pearls

soitscometothis, Lordban and harpua like this.
  9. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Sorry to disappoint... Actually, I really am not.

Not quite our President's words, but the words he forwarded, from a pupil at the middle school of Conflans, and they're worth a listen from us adults (translated with the mistakes and what the colloquialisms mean).

I'm afraid that, here in France, it had been becoming "old news". We've had 31 attacks that caused casualties on our soil (20 of them lethal, killing 265) with similar inspiration in the past 8 years. They're mostly "low-tech" because we have made pulling them off hard - another 300 or so have been foiled in the same timeframe.

I'm sorry to say islamophobia is finding roots here in France, and attacks like that play a part in it (which is intentional, fanning islamophobia through terror attacks to bring the situation to a civil-war state is officially stated Daesh doctrine). Tolerance for Islam is gradually, but surely dropping, and it's beginning to have violent manifestations.

Last year, for the first time since we've had lethal fundamentalist islamic attacks on our soil (the first happened in 1986), we had a terror attack by a white supremacist against a mosque that resulted in injuries. He'd slipped under the net because he was 84 (and died in jail since). Judging how another few have been foiled, and more importantly, how successful terror attacks from jihadists invariably end up being followed by "retaliation", it might be a matter of "when" a Muslim gets killed in a terror attack by a white person (a Muslim getting killed in a terror attack by another Muslim has already happened several times on our soil...), and not a matter of "if".

We're in this for the long haul. Nowadays, three out of four young French Muslims (aged 25 or less) claim that Islamic Law is superior to the state's law; half of the young French Muslims even claim that Shari'a should be the only law in France. We are in for quite a few more very tense years.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Given how Trump's been fanning the flames of his racist base in recent days and the fact that at least two plots to kidnap US Governors were uncovered last week (both of whom are Democrats), I don't think this is a completely unreasonable fear.

And I'll leave it there, given that this is taken this off topic to the thread at hand.

11. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Wasn't one essentially entrapment?

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm sure that's what the defendants will argue it was.

13. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    @Juliet316 From an American perspective they certainly are reasonable fears. However, Europe really isn't the USA. And this week-end has taught me that.

harpua likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Hence, why I intended to leave it there in my response to Watto. That really is more appropriate to the US politics thread or US Election thread at this point in time.

15. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I've yet to look into it but from what I gather the kidnapping is suggested by the FBI plant. We need a reckoning like the UK did when it comes to undercover agents and entrapment. But instead libs are naming their kids after the guys who entrapped Muslim teenagers with mental disorders and then claimed "we just stopped the next 9/11". all cause they.....marginally talked bad about trump

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Seeing as how no one was entrapped into cutting someone’s head off, I agree that’s probably a discussion better left for a different thread.

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Hacking through neckbone with a pocket knife does lend itself to a terrorist level of commitment

Jedi Ben and harpua like this.
  18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    How does commitment have bearing on if something is terrorism? I mean a bank robbery requires some serious commitment and dedication......well ok a decent one does. we have all seen the guys with no masks and squirt guns who are probably drunk but you get my point.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think you have to look at the motivation. For a bank robbery the motivation is usually money and loss of life isn't usually the main reason for doing it (though that might happen if it went to a hostage situation).

Darth Punk likes this.
  20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    The motivation is pretty clear. Again, we're talking about a murderer who deliberately targetted a teacher for having blasphemed by showing a couple of cartoons of his Prophet, travelled an hour and a half to get to the location, prepared a claiming message, armed himself with a poniard and a cleaver to inflict damage, an airsoft gun he used to push the police in getting him martyred, paid four pupils to identify and acquire his target, tagged the head of state with a picture of a decapitated man with a clear claim that the man had been killed for his sins (“I have executed one of the dogs from hell who dared to put Muhammad down.”) - a message labelled as being sent to the leader of the infidels - so that those cartoons would be never showed again. The murderer was indoctrinated for three years in a radical network, and followed the kind of modus operandi that's being taught by Daesh branches.

Yeah, there was a great deal of commitment into inflicting terror as a political message. It was the intended goal, it was a prepared attack, and the attacker made a great - and gruesome - deal of getting his message of terror through in the most noticeable way he could manage. There's no question whatsoever that he intended to terrorize.

EDIT - There's something rather new tonight: the authorities of Islam in France themselves are now demanding that the terminology of "Islamism, the poison of Islam" be used, and asking why it (Islamism) isn't already banned by law. This attack pissed off a lot of French Muslims.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I dunno, sounds like bank robber energy to me

22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    You are a terrible person :p

Darth Punk likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Vncredleader, for want of a better term, defending someone's kidnap and murder is such a weird hill to. . .die on.

24. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    ok but that has no bearing on if they are carrying out a robbery or terrorism or a murder. Motives matter yes, commitment does not. Hell by that logic then the younger brother involved in the Boston Marathon bombing wouldn't be a terrorist cause he was pretty much just along for the ride. Qualifying terrorism based on how committed they are to do the thing is an arbitrary metric, you are right about motives to do harm, but again that is a different thing and not what I was challenging.

Just deciding "terrorism energy vs bank robber energy" feels really gross and not funny to me. It supposes there is a platonic ideal of a terrorist with a certain level of commitment and checking certain boxes that have nothing to do with terror let alone being an organized thing. Making that a qualitative element of terrorism is not funny, and I have no clue why people would act like it is. What does and does not count as "terrorism commitment" can decide if someone gets basic human rights or not. That is not a silly little thing to laugh about, "bank robber energy" hahahahaha.......we are talking about arbitrary qualifiers that remove civil liberties. Gitmo is not funny to me, nor is the opposite, the idea that it is not terrorism if the person is not super dedicated, for that matter.

It is like civil liberties are just rhetoric when the people involved are criminals who we all find detestable, but that is the point at which those rights matter most. France has already essentially done its patriot act, and made Muslims feel like second class citizens, with special negative treatment, if commitment becomes cause for a crime being terrorism then that just widens the arsenal of the state.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so what's your definition of a terrorist attack ?