main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Terry Pratchett

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by TC-47, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    I hope he classifys as a fantasy writer because he is my favourite Author by a long way. His books are witty, smart and come together at the end like a good book should. Mabey it doesn't strech the mind like it could and some of you will argue that it is childish, well mabey it is but I know a lot of adults that still read Harry Potter...

Anyway I have read about 65% of his books and love the charaters: Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Death. Yes Death is a character.

But my favourite charater by far is The Luggage: It is a cross between a homicidal maniac and a suitcase, and all he wants from the world is an owner and total extinction of all other lifeforms.

Anyway I just wondered if anyone else liked Terry Pratchett as much as I did?

2. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    man, i love the discworld books! not too keen on his other books to be fair, but the discworld series is superb. "guards guards" had me in stitches laughing! got to love the city watch ;) . i have all the discworld books apart from the new one, "thud" i beleive. "carpe jugulum" is another particular favorite of mine :D

3. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Carpe Jugulum is one of the few I have not read. I live Vimes for the city watch. If you read "Feet of Clay" you'll known about the Golem on the city watch as well. I think its called Doyle.

4. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    dorfl is the golem in the city watch ;) . you have to read carpe jugulem, it's about vampyrs (that's how he spells it) and the witches. one of his best IMHO.

5. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I still believe, without a doubt, that MORT is the best of Pratchett's Discworld series, of which I love them all.

"I hate ----ing wizards!" he said, effortlessly pronouncing a row of dashes.
    "You shouldn't ---- 'em then!"

Has to be one of the most classic lines in literature EVER!

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Pratchett is the man. I love his works, but I have a very British sense of humour so I was always going to. ;)

I remember when people were urging me to read "Wraith Squadron", telling me it was funny. After reading something like Cohen, heroically rescuing a virgin from being sacrificed before collapsing in a heap of arthritic agony - it's hard to find "yub yub commander" even worth a smirk.

Who can't love Rincewind though?

E_S

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Vimes all the way, he's a sarcastic ass. You know he's going to have some smart ass remark that the poor sap at the other end won't see coming, and maybe not even understand until later.

Rincewind is pretty funny too though, all his scars are on his back because he's always running away from trouble.

8. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Yay, turtels all the way!!!!:D
    Gotta ,ove that guy. His humour is hilarious.
    Still trying to complete my collection, but read almost all of him.
    Anybody else dig the Jonny books? Actullay I might be a little old for them, but they're such fun.

From Discworld I like Vetinari best.crook-minded rodder he is.[face_love]
    And the more you know about one of his underlying topics, the more hilarious it gets. Watch a student of church-history read Small Gods.[face_laugh]

9. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Mort was amazing, but so wre Deaths other two books Soul Music and Reaperman. They really develope Death's character. I like the way he races against a combine-harvester in cutting grain.

Another great couple of books are Wee Free Men and a Hat full of Sky. Is anyone here scottish?;)

10. sithmastersimon

sithmastersimon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    The next book i have to read is The Last Continent, what are your opinions about this one?

11. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Only read it in German and I don't think it's one of his best.
    Might have lost big in translation, you never know with our translators here.:rolleyes:
    Still after Interesting times I felt it was a little let down. Maybe I just don't know enough about Austrailia to see the jokes.
    Maybe some Aussie would tell me if it's more fun if you know about Australia?
    But you get wizards without a plan stuck in the outback.
    They are real wizzzardy....:oops:

12. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Its a good book, got to love it cause Luggage is in it. Plenty of Austrlians, hasn't rained for a thousand years, Lady-Men; what more could you ask for. It's alot better if you've read some of the other Rincewind books, but it's still pretty cool. I also love the way he finds food under rocks. [face_laugh]

13. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    I'm Australian, and I didn't think The Last Continent was one of his best. Lots of in-jokes - that surprised me, considering Pratchett's British - but a lot of cliches as well about Australia that started to get annoying after a while. I found it more enjoyable the second time I read it. [face_thinking] The side story with the wizards and the island wasn't particularly enthralling, I thought.

14. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    But you've got to love the giant [face_chicken]

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Pratchett is one of my favourites as well...my two favourite books are Feet of Clay and the one with the dragon plot (I think it is Guards, Guards!)

Unfortunately while I've read a few, he is far too prolific for me to have read them all.

I love the City Watch and the Faculty of the University.

16. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    I like Mustrum Ridcully and The Dean from the Faculty and Nobby from the Watch... But none put a patch on luggage.

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've never read a book with Luggage in it, so I can't comment on him/her/it.

Has anybody played the Discworld games? Discworld Noir is a great detective game, though I never saw the end since my rented copy was scratched and refused to play the ending movie.

18. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I started the first pc game but I didn't get anywhere. It was so screwed that my mind couldn't keep up with the twist.
    Still I found it very funny, laughed a lot and still have it.

Luggage? What a chest!:p

19. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Luggage is an it, but it is a male it. It is a chest on hundreds of little legs that follows its owner everywhere. It is made from sapient pearwood; magical due to exposure to magic in the Mage wars. Luggage is invicable,immune to magic, it eats everyone apart from its owner; Rincewind/Twoflower and is generally a homocidal manaic.

It wants two things:
    >An owner
    >Total extinction of all other life forms

If you wanted to know; the sound it makes when it walks is: thup thup thup thup...
    Also if you hadn't noticed its not very nice.

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    My favorites are Twoflower and the Red Army.

21. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Maybe some Aussie would tell me if it's more fun if you know about Australia?

I do like The Last Continent. Maybe I'm just feeling smug for spotting the in-jokes (half-Australian) but I like it. I like the creation of the duck-billed platypus and the squadrons of balladeers.

Night Watch and Going Postal are my current favourites. IMHO, Pratchett's later ones tend to be better overall - maybe it's the leaning towards a darker kind of humour, I don't know. Sam Vimes in NW is fantastic - he could be cynical for the Discworld; Moist von Lipwig in GP deserves another book. I think he'd make a great running protagonist, much as with Rincewind, Vimes, Granny Weatherwax and Susan.

Overall favourite, though, Interesting Times. I don't know quite why, but it's great; plenty of Rincewind, plenty of the Silver Horde (great supporting characters all) and of course the Luggage finding love.

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    That's right, they had luggage babies. They disappeared the next book though :(

23. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I hope they come back, or at least cameo. Can you imagine baby Luggages that haven't been housetrained? People would get hurt.

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    That would be pretty funny. Imagine Rincewind trying to deal with all of them.

25. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    I like Interesting Times, because it made Rincewinds charater much more understandable; who else could accidently find a whole army?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.