main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Terry Pratchett

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by TC-47, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I would highly recommend Guards, Guards, it's the first of the Ankh-Morpork Night Watch novels. The characters are great, and there are some fantastic funny moments throughout the piece. I personally also feel that it would make an awesome movie, it reads like one at times :D

Have you reached Mort in the Shades yet? I love that moment with the dashes :D

2. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    guards guards! is a great book. it was the first pratchett book i ever read, and i have the graphic novel too :D . a brilliant read.

ah yes. when we last played thud i was but the learner. now, i am the master :p . i have that game sussed completely :D . and i recommend it to anyone who enjoys games like chess :)

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'll try it :) But wat's the direct sequel to Mort?

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Uh, there isn't one really. Most Discworld books don't have 'sequels'. However I do have a 3-in-1 hardcover that has Mort, Reaper Man and Soul Music in it, so you might like to try Reaper Man.

5. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Like MarcusP2 said, Discworld is more a collection of standalones in the same universe than a proper series. Which isn't to say they aren't all awesome :D

There are, however, loose groupings done by central character. The Death grouping usually includes Mort, Reaper Man, Hogfather and Soul Music - so any of those might be a good place to continue :)

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay thanks :)

7. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    I've just realised that I've never dated a boy who didn't like Terry Pratchett. My personal faves are (in no particular order)Carpet People, Thief of Time, Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents and Interesting Times.

I actually had to dissuade a little old lady from buying that the other day because she was looking for Christian fiction for her granddaughter, and I'm just not sure that's what she had in mind.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Unlocked on request.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've unlocked this and upped it. Sky News are reporting that Terry Pratchett has announced he is suffering from a rare form of early-onset Alzheimers Disease. Once I have a story link I'll update this post.

Edit - Here's the story on the Times website.

10. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah, I read that too. Alzheimers is such a difficult disease. Hopefully he's still got a lot to give in his private life and as an author.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's so sad to hear :(

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    There's a movie called Hogfather being played on ION Dec. 23 at 7 eastern. Is it based on the Discworld book?

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It is, and it's very good. It was shown last Christmas here in the UK (a few times!). I'm not really a Discworld fan but I enjoyed it. Definitely worth catching or recording! I think it's on again this year here.

The villain is especially creepy.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    A note for those in the UK - Hogfather will be on again over Christmas. Part 1 will be on Christmas Eve on Sky One at 8am and 8pm. Part 2 will be on Christmas Day at the same times.

15. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Also.

Sky's The Colour of Magic website and news that the next miniseries will be Going Postal. (One of my personal favorite of the Discworld novels).

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The announcement was on tonight's BBC News along with footage of him signing some books.

I've seen some ads for The Colour of Magic on Sky One and what I saw looks good. There's a thread on it over in the SFF Film/TV forum.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh wow, that's really sad to hear :(

18. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I'd like to see them do Guards Guards, could be quite funny. But many people have said they'd love to see Simon Pegg as the main guy in Going Postal.

But it's odd, I'm a long time admirer of Pratchett and Discworld, and yet I've never read one of his books all the way through. I've read half of Soul Music, skim read the Mort and Guards Guards comic books, watched people play the old point and click game and watched and really liked the Soul Music cartoon and The Hogfather last Christmas.

For me a little Pratchett goes a long way, but I think maybe with Colour of Magic coming to screens I'm gonna have to really buckle down and read this series properly.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Unlocking and upping this for some news. Terry Pratchett has been made a Knight in the New Years Honours List here in the UK.

You can see the BBC Story here.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's really cool!!

Is there any news of what's going on with his disease?

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Well, I'm no expert, but based on my personal experience with a relative with early-onset Alzheimer's the first few years, with medication, are fairly normal.

I was pleased to see him getting a knighthood though...a bright spot in the huge amount of people getting MBEs for winning one gold medal at the Olympics.

Missed Hogfather though, which irritates me. :_|

Read Making Money....one of my personal favourites already. Need to get Going Postal now I suppose.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I haven't heard anything more lately.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I saw Hogfather was repeated on one of the Sky channels the other day for Christmas.

24. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    It's really great that Pratchett has been given a knighthood.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    A heads-up for Pratchett fans in the UK. This coming Wednesday evening BBC2 will be showing Terry Pratchett - Living with Alzheimers from 900-1000 pm. He will be "exploring some of the cutting-edge science to reveal more about this illness".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.