main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Testing the (Running) Water

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Apr 25, 2013.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Did the Toys for Tots 5K run Tuesday night. Pretty mediocre time of 39 minutes. Better than I was expecting though. Very crowded/busy. Got there at 5:30 and the parking lot was already 3/4 full. Did the run and went straight home. Didn't hang around for the poker or anything. Looks like it was 256 runners with 224 toys and $2130 in donations for Toys for Tots.
    Probably nothing coming up until Thanksgiving?

2. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thinking on the Turkey Trot this year. Not up to doing the 10K and the 5K doesn't seem like it's worth getting up early for. I may just sleep in, save my money and run my own 5K in the neighborhood.

3. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    THROO THE ZOO!
    https://louisvillezoo.org/event/27th-annual-throo-the-zoo-5k-presented-by-norton-audubon-hospital/
    If everything remains on an even keel I'll be able to make this one. Always an enjoyable time walking around the zoo with you all.

I went ahead and signed up for the Run the Bluegrass 7 miler for March. Just for something to work towards and keep me motivated. It falls on the same weekend as LEXCon but I don't think it will be a big deal for me. I try and skip Saturday con days because of the crowds anyway. We'll see.

All Hail Waru for good weather for our walks/runs.

4. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    All Hail Waru! Went ahead and signed up for zoo!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

jedimika likes this.
  5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Just registered as well! All Hail Waru!

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Texted Mindtwister. He says they're planning to do the Zoo as well.

7. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    I saw on a social media site that the Throo the Zoo has been moved to November 21st

8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah I got an email. Looks like I'm working that weekend (sigh) so I'll probably go the virtual route just to get this year's shirt and medal. I know a lot of people have it worse but with everything canceled/postponed it just seems like there's nothing to look forward to. I just saw they've postponed Wonderfest as well.

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like they're still going to do the Run the Bluegrass this weekend (postponed from the Spring). I was training for this in the Spring but went virtual. Looks like most people have (which is good). They're at about 20% normal and are doing Mini waves of like 10 runners each with VERY strict times and no hanging around before or after. They suggest the walk to your car as your cool down. You'll get your own medal and recovery snacks and no after party or food trucks or anything like that. So maybe the Zoo will still be doing the Throo the Zoo after all? They're going ahead with their Trick or Treating so we'll see.

10. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    I got an e-mail from Throo the Zoo. Right now it looks like they will be doing waves throughout the day with limits of 60 in groups. I think I picked the 11:30 one.

11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like they're closing the zoo that day to everyone but the runners which I think is a good idea. The Northeast YMCA is still doing a Turkey Trot this year but it's going to be one distance, 4 miles, for everyone and multiple waves. I'll probably just do a 4 miler around the neighborhood that morning and that can be my run.
    Run the Bluegrass has said they're not doing a Spring run in 2021 because they would have to be planning and ordering stuff and spending money NOW and we still don't know what next year will be like so I feel where they're coming from.

12. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    And now Throo the Zoo is entirely virtual. I just went ahead and took the deferral option.

13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Just got notice the YMCA turkey trot went all virtual as well.

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    This recent nice weather drives home how much fitness I've lost in the last year. Ugh. Gonna have to do a couch to 5K program I think. Relin gave me a nice YouTube recommendation for "indoor walking" with Rick Bhullar, may have to give it a try.
    Get Fit With Rick - YouTube

15. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    It looks like Throo the Zoo has already been moved to November 13th. (In other news, got my first vaccine Tuesday and getting my second one April 6)

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yay for getting vaccinated. Hopefully we can all get together soon (and at the Throo the Zoo)

17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like they'll have the Gaslight 5K in the evening of Tuesday Sept 14 this year. If I'm off work I'll probably do it. If not no big deal. At least it will give me a goal to work towards this Summer.

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Reanimating this zombie thread. Need/want to lose a little weight (docor's orders). I'm getting good workout time in every week between Body Pump classes at the Y with the wife and my weekly Fathier riding lesson but I'm not making any progress. The problem is post Covid and current life issues I'm still stress eating. I told my doc at least I'm reaching for the cupcakes and donuts instead of booze or drugs but they still want me to do better. May try and get back into jogging and keep an eye on the Louisville fun runs like at Iroquois park. I think my longer distance runs are behind me now.