main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Testing the (Running) Water

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Apr 25, 2013.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    With the Derby mini tomorrow running has been on my mind. Here are a couple of upcoming races on my personal radar.

Throo the Zoo 5K Saturday May 10 at 8AM
    One of my favorites even though you have to dodge around lots of walkers (grrrrr). I have to work this weekend but not until 2nd shift so I went ahead and pre registered for this one (one of the few races I'll pre register for). Get there early for parking.
    http://www.louisvillezoo.org/events/throozoo.htm

Run for the "L" of it 5K Saturday May 24 at 8AM
    This will be a new one for me. Seems like it might be fun running through UofL's campus (if I don't get lost)...kinda a unique setting. But it looks like the start and finish are in different spots; I'm not familiar with campus to tell how far apart they are. But I'll probably try this one anyway.
    http://runforthelofit.com/EventInfo.php

2. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    and I will be at all of them, going to random water stations, and randomly replacing cups of water with vodka or clear rum.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
  4. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    hey, everyone should have a hobby.

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Remember the Throo the Zoo does have a walk option for anyone that doesn't feel up to running and your race fee includes admission to the zoo for that day.

6. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    The Zoo sounds like a blast, never done that one before and if Jeff is there replacing water maybe I can run into him (at a fast clip) and knock a couple of glasses out of his hands. The run for the L of it is a mother story myself and my Uncle are going to be together in frankfort that weekend. But there is always next time . U of L campus is a very scenic place to jog around/through I used to take little trips there for PT when I was working at the fair grounds and always enjoyed the scenery. Mika you and the Misses should really enjoy the run.

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Weather for the Zoo 5K is a bit iffy. Looks like most of the rain is coming in Friday with maybe some leftovers Saturday morning.

9. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Yea I'm gonna have to bow out on this one. Maybe one of these days I'll get to run thought the Zoo.

Have fun and be careful of all the wild animals (the ones in the cages too).

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    We ended up bailing on this. We DID get up and drove out there on the hopes the rain would hold off or we'd catch a break in the clouds and between 0700 and 0730 it was looking good but then after that it opened up. It was a deluge about 0745 with occassional lightning which makes the wife nervous so we packed it in and went back to bed.

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    good call.

12. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Was a great morning to lounge around in the bed anyway [face_shhh] (even though I was up and moving around getting ready to help a friend move).[face_whistling]

13. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Did the St Matthews 5K this morning and did really well (for me). I had a 29:22 which is my best time in years but the 45 degree temperature had a lot to do with that I think. I doubt I'll do as well later in the Summer when it heats up. That time still only gave me a 12 finish out of 17 for my age bracket.

15. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    You finished right!
    That's good in any book[face_hypnotized]
    I was with my uncle this weekend wish I could have made it..

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I hate to say it, but I ran for the first time outside yesterday. Weather/Pollen/Getting Married/Work/Wonderfest kinda kept me away from outside. I didn't do great, but I was in better shape then I thought. 3k in 40 minutes. I hope to be back in running form soon. And by "form" I mean 5k in 40 minutes. Then maybe 5k under 30. All though I would really like to go for distance than time-- finishing a 10k would be awesome.

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, I've thought about a 10K. Maybe. An hour+ of running seems like a real chore to me.

As you're ramping up your running (good on ya), my running will probably be dropping off as the Summer starts to heat up.

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Did the "Run for the 'L' of it" 5K this morning. Have to take the bad with the good on this one. The good...being cheered on by the UofL cheerleaders and running past all my old haunts on campus (hello library! hi hummanities building!). The bad...sidewalks on campus and the start tunnel at Papa John's Stadium were narrow...lots of bottlenecks and lots of walkers. Officially my time was 30:39 but because it took me a fulll minute to even reach the start after the gun sounded I'm gonna call it 29:39. Still, I'd do it again next year.

20. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Thanks for the info and links Mika. This isn't turning out to be the running year I though it would. But there is always later on. The runs are scheduled all the way through the winter and sometimes the coldest are the coolest.

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, I'm kind of looking forward to the Ugly Xmas Sweater Run in November :)

Speaking of fun...I really wish they would do something like this here...or at least during Celebration

22. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    Yea that would be a great idea too bad they didn't time it for the CVII like you said Mika.

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Okay, the next one I'm thinking of doing locally is the Lunar 5K in Etown on June 21 at Freeman Lake Park. This was on my radar last year but I never made it out. It benefits the local Hosparus. I have to work that day but that's okay since race time isn't till 8:30PM. If anyone wants a ride down let me know. I probably won't stick around for too much after party since I have to work in the morning.

http://www.lunar5k.com/elizabethtown/

24. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    surprised none of you guys did the color run this past weekend.

25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I dig the idea of some of these "event" runs like the Color Run and a lot of the obstacle runs (and I'll probably do one some day) but most of them are touring events and can run around $50 or so. The Lunar5K is local and for charity.