main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga TFA mirrors thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    ROTS
    Obi-Wan (in vision): “Save your energy.”

TFA
    Yoda (in vision): “It’s energy...”

Valency Jane and Darth Basin like this.
  2. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
  3. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Couldn't be better. Dying, protecting father reaching out to redeem himself and his corrupted son; righteous, grieving son comforting his dying, protecting, redeemed father.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BenYodaDagobah

Feb 20, 2016
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Keeping this open for now as long as it stays image-centric with the mirroring between TFA and other films. Discussion of ST films as they relate to the Saga needs to go in the Mega thread.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  6. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    So what are you trying to say?

7. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
  8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    After Photobucket's changes this appears to be the only mirroring thread I made where my pics have survived.

Can't say the same for my other threads (and Qui-Riv-Brid, your posts have taken a beating :oops: ) but I'm currently working on my missing pics.

9. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
  10. BenYodaDagobah

Feb 20, 2016
    [​IMG]
    "We would be honored if you would join us."

[​IMG]
    "You're my guest."

christophero30 and Lulu Mars like this.
  11. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Thought this fit here...

[​IMG]

I disagree, I thought Han's death scene was handled well.
    You have Han walking from the blue "safe" side into the red "danger" zone as he puts himself at his fallen son's mercy. You can see the light from above (where the other heroes stand) enveloping Han as he offers Kylo a chance at rejoining the "angels".
    Unlike Luke with Vader in the OT, Han's compassionate soft-spot is his undoing.
    You have the sun draining in the background - as long as the sun is still glowing there is a chance that Kylo can be redeemed. But when the sun is fully drained the lighting changes to blacks and darker reds and Kylo has made his decision - his light is gone.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Just to add to the above,

Kylo rejecting Han's (his father's) offer of redemption is surely an inversion of Anakin/Vader accepting Luke's (his son's) offer of salvation.

And Luke is spared/saved, Han is killed.

Plus Kylo is first offered redemption in the first of the trilogy, Vader in the third.

Anakin's PT arc is a slide to the dark, Kylo is arguably going in the opposite direction - perhaps more a parallel of Vader's arc in the OT but done quite differently.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    christophero30 and Mila Lazarus like this.
  13. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    A New Hope
    Tarkin: Princess Leia, before your execution I would like you to be my guest at a ceremony that will make this battle station operational.
    The Force Awakens
    Rey: Where am I?
    Kylo: You're my guest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TFA
    Leia: There is still light in him, I know it!
    Poe: As long as there is light we've still got a chance.

Both these "light" motifs converge when the sun is symbolically fully drained, the weapon is powered, day turns to artificial night, and Han's attempt to redeem Kylo/Ben fails.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Force Awakens
    Han: You changed your hair.
    Leia: Same jacket.
    Han: No, different jacket.
    The Last Jedi
    Leia: I know what you are going to say. I changed my hair.
    Luke: It looks good that way.

The storylines within these scenes are also kind of an inversion in theme; with Leia insisting to Han that Kylo still has light in him and can be brought back in Ep7, but with Luke in Ep8 Leia has resigned to the fact that her son is gone. Han faces him at Leia's request and is killed. Luke faces Kylo on his own desire to (as a projection) and passes away voluntarily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Force Awakens
    Han: Take off that mask. You don't need it.
    Kylo: What do you think you will see if I do?
    Han: The face of my son.
    The Last Jedi
    Snoke: Take that ridiculous thing off. Yes, there it is. You have too much of your father's heart in you, young Solo.

Notice both opposing father-figures ask Kylo to take off his mask; Han trying to help push Kylo/Ben to the light and Snoke chiding Kylo despite his killing Han, trying to seal Kylo's place in the dark. Interestingly both Han and Snoke see the mask as a sign of failure, for arguably opposite reasons.

Kylo kills Han on Snoke's request, but when it is time to kill Rey at Snoke's request he of course kills Snoke instead. One of the better subversions in TLJ.

Plus there is this from Return of the Jedi...

"Luke. Help me take this mask off."
    "But you'll die!"
    "Nothing can stop that now. For once, let me look on you with my own eyes."

Kylo removes his mask and kills both Han and Snoke (fathers) / Anakin saves Luke and Luke saves Anakin, and Anakin dies by his own sacrifice, redeemed.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    christophero30 and PCCViking like this.
  14. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    (A brief addendum to an older post here)

Obi-Wan hands Anakin's saber down to Luke in ANH.
    [​IMG]

Maz encourages Rey to begin her journey with the same saber.
    (We may see some explanation to any connections Rey has to other SW characters in Ep IX)
    Obi-Wan recounts his days as a Jedi to Luke through words - but when Rey touches that same saber she sees the past and future in front of her eyes.
    [​IMG]
    First we hear Vader's breathing then Yoda's "It's energy surrounds us, binds us."
    The saber has been here. (Both previous users of the saber fought each other here on Bespin)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(A possible "flash-forward" to something involving the Knights of Ren. A castle is also seen in the background during this short scene)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (It is also interesting the way Kylo in this segment of the vision advances towards Rey, like they have a previously established connection)

Flashback - her family will never return, but Finn loyally comes for her on Starkiller base in TFA, and she seemingly finds new family in Luke Skywalker at the end of the movie.
    (Further explanation pending, but I think Maz's claim that Rey's belonging lies ahead will have relevance in Episode IX)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luke Skywalker regains consciousness to find Kylo has destroyed his academy. Luke's "Noo... no!" from the scene involving Darth Vader's revelation in ESB can be heard.
    [​IMG]

Rey foresees her duel with Kylo on Starkiller base.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  15. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Ben Solo started training as a Jedi at the age of 10 the same as Anakin and turned to the dark side at the age of 23 the same as Anakin

HevyDevy and MarcJordan like this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    BEN: They're up for sale, if you want them.

REY: Actually, the droid's not for sale.

PCCViking likes this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    These are old notes from when I was planning to make a ROTS/TFA comparison video.
    I might still make it one day, but I thought it could be an interesting read for this thread.

I hope the colors are all right for your eyes!

The Empire seeks to exterminate the Jedi ("The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated!").
    The First Order seeks to exterminate the Jedi ("…will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.").

The Jedi Order is searching for Grievous.
    The First Order is searching for Luke.

In the opening shot, a couple of small vessels approach a star destroyer orbiting a planet.
    In the opening shot, a couple of small vessels leave a star destroyer orbiting a planet.

Two Jedi lead a mission to rescue a darksider.
    A darksider leads a mission to destroy a Jedi.

R2-D2 sets the battle droids on fire.
    Stormtroopers set the village on fire.

Dooku (right) freezes Obi-Wan (left) in midair by use of the Force.
    Kylo (left) freezes a blaster bolt in midair (and Poe) (right) by use of the Force.

Anakin encounters and captures a tall old man with a beard who senses Anakin's dark side. Anakin kills him.
    Kylo encounters and captures a tall old man with a beard who acknowledges Kylo's dark side. Kylo kills him.

Anakin (right) kills Nute (left) with an ascending, rightward swing of his blue lightsaber on the burning world of Mustafar.
    Kylo (left) kills Lor (right) with a descending, leftward swing of his red lightsaber in the burning village of Tuanul.

Anakin breaks the dictates of the Jedi Order by killing an unarmed prisoner.
    Finn breaks the dictates of the First Order by refusing to kill unarmed prisoners.

Anakin and Obi-Wan are chased by several missiles, two of which find their target. Then, they break into the Invisible Hand's hangar bay in their Jedi starfighters.
    Poe and Finn break out of the Finalizer's hangar bay in a TIE fighter. Then, they're chased by several missiles, one of which finds its target.

Aboard the Invisible Hand, Grievous captures Obi-Wan and Anakin and bickers with them until R2-D2 provides a distraction, whereupon Grievous shouts "Crush them! Make them suffer!" and a fight ensues (right). Grievous abandons his ship and gets away.
    Aboard the Eravana, Han is cornered by Bala-Tik and Tasu Leech and bickers with them until Bala-Tik shouts "Kill them – and take that droid!", whereupon the rathtars provide a distraction and a fight ensues (left). Han abandons his ship and gets away.

Anakin is led astray by a Supreme Chancellor.
    Ben is led astray by a Supreme Leader.

Anakin (left) kneels in front of Sidious (right) and begs the Sith Lord to help him.
    Kylo (right) kneels in front of Vader's helmet (left) and begs the Sith Lord to help him.

Anakin seeks Yoda's counsel and gets it.
    Kylo seeks Vader's counsel and gets none.

Anakin is troubled by a vision of the future and gets counsel from the diminutive Yoda who advises him to let go of his attachments and accept fate. Anakin does not approve.
    Rey is troubled by a vision of the past and gets counsel from the diminutive Maz who advises her to let go of the past and accept her destiny. Rey does not approve.

"Execute Order 66."
    "Fire!"

In a shocking move, the Republic annihilates the Jedi Order.
    In a shocking move, the First Order annihilates the Republic.

Anakin arrives at the Separatist HQ.
    Kylo arrives at Maz's Castle.

Yoda uses a lightsaber to impale a clone trooper.
    Finn uses a lightsaber to impale a stormtrooper.

Electrostaffs are used to counter lightsabers.
    A Z6 baton is used to counter a lightsaber.

An electrostaff is also used to send Obi-Wan flying backwards through the air. He is about to be struck down for good when the blaster in his hand saves him.
    The baton is also used to send Finn flying backwards through the air. He is about to be struck down for good when the blaster in Han's hands saves him.

On Kashyyyk, clone troopers (left) face Separatist droids (right) who attack from the water.
    On Takodana, stormtroopers (right) face Resistance pilots (left) who attack from the water.

Padmé (right) rests her head on Anakin's (left) chest as he embraces her, after asking him to reason with Palpatine.
    Leia (left) rests her head on Han's (right) chest as he embraces her, while asking him to reason with Ben.

Anakin crash-lands the Invisible Hand on Coruscant (right to left).
    Han crash-lands the Millennium Falcon on Starkiller Base (left to right).

Padmé confronts Anakin and tries to get him to leave with her but fails and ends up dead as a result.
    Han confronts Kylo and tries to get him to leave with him but fails and ends up dead as a result.

As he prepares to kill Yoda (right), Palpatine (left) says "I have waited a long time for this moment".
    As he prepares to kill Han (left), Kylo (right) says "I’ve been waiting for this day for a long time".

Yoda informs Obi-Wan of the bitter truth: "The boy you trained, gone he is."
    Kylo informs Han of the bitter truth: "Your son is gone."

"…Darth Plagueis the wise?"
    "The Supreme Leader is wise."

Anakin murders his Jedi brethren in order to become stronger with the dark side.
    Kylo murders his father in order to become stronger with the dark side.

Yoda senses a great disturbance in the Force as Anakin betrays the Jedi.
    Leia senses a great disturbance in the Force as Kylo betrays his family.

Padmé (left), appalled by Anakin's (right) actions, says that he has changed.
    Rey (right), appalled by Kylo's (left) actions, calls him a monster.

Anakin (right) knocks Padmé (left) out with a Force choke. Then, he accuses Obi-Wan (left) of treachery and the two former comrades in arms engage in a furious lightsaber duel.
    Kylo (left) knocks Rey (right) out with a Force push. Then, he accuses Finn (right) of treachery and the two former comrades in arms engage in a furious lightsaber duel.

In a fit of rage, Anakin (right) calls Padmé (left) a liar and nearly kills her.
    In a fit of rage, Kylo (left) calls Finn (right) a traitor and nearly kills him.

Obi-Wan incapacitates Anakin. The forces of nature intervene and Obi-Wan leaves with Anakin's lightsaber in his possession.
    Rey incapacitates Kylo. The forces of nature intervene and Rey leaves with Anakin's lightsaber in her possession.

C-3PO and R2-D2 carry Padmé aboard her ship and, together with Obi-Wan, leave the burning globe of Mustafar behind.
    Chewbacca carries Finn aboard the Falcon and, together with Rey, leaves the now burning globe of Starkiller Base behind.

Obi-Wan takes Padmé to the medical facility on Polis Massa.
    Chewbacca takes Finn to the medical facility in the Resistance base.

Padmé says her final farewell to Obi-Wan while on the sickbed.
    Rey says farewell to Finn while he's on the sickbed.

Padmé, accompanied by C-3PO and Obi-Wan, travels to the fiery world of Mustafar for a fateful meeting with Anakin.
    Rey, accompanied by R2-D2 and Chewbacca, travels to the watery world of Ahch-To for a fateful meeting with Luke.

In a scene signifying hope for the future, Obi-Wan (left) brings Luke to Beru (right).
    In a scene signifying hope for the future, Rey (right) brings Anakin's lightsaber to Luke (left).