main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFA New Theme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by EisWarren, Jul 28, 2015.

?

Will John Williams write a completely original theme for The Force Awakens?

1. Brand new theme with no references to previous cues

20.0%
  2. Brand new theme based on previously used cues

60.0%
  3. Slightly rearranged theme from previously used cues

6.7%
  4. Hardly any noticeable differences from previously used cues

3.3%
  5. No new theme period

10.0%
  1. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Do you know what 'infamous' means? :D

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Yes, I meant famous. :p

3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
  4. RainSolo

RainSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2015
    I think it'll be similar to what Jurassic World's score was. It was its own thing, with its own themes (just as each of the Star Wars movies having their exclusive themes) but its clearly part of a larger universe so the score will reflect that e.g. Leias theme playing when shes onscreen etc

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Jurassic World's score is not a good comparison. It wasn't very memorable, it didn't use existing themes well and it was a different composer. I think the TFA score will be like TPM. Lots of new themes and original non-recurring score material, punctuated by appropriate uses of existing themes from the previous six film scores.

sethg and Howard Hand like this.
  6. RainSolo

RainSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2015
    True, it wasn't the most memorable, but I thought the old music was used to good effect. I do agree that TPM is a better example though. I'm sure thats the approach TFA will take, and its the approach Id most like to see :)

7. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Agree completely (though there might be a few more references than you're anticipating). I personally don't find Giacchino's music that impressive.
    I do hope that the TFA score is more emotionally charged than TPM, which had a tendency to devolve into lavishly orchestrated wallpaper. Don't get me wrong, I love TPM's score but something like ROTS did a much better job enhancing the drama of the film.

8. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I'm positive there will be a new theme. There's been a new theme for every episode so why not this one? I would love to hear a new score with callbacks to previous themes when/if appropriate. For instance, it would be nice to hear Han Solo and the Princess if those two have some screen time together.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    There will likely be several major new themes and many minor new themes. Just like TPM.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. LeiaBuns

LeiaBuns Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2015
    Can't wait to hear it, regardless. John Williams is awesome!
    Anyone picking this up as a physical copy or a digital copy?

11. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I'm definitely going to buy a physical copy. I like having the original source for my digital Star Wars music collection.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I always buy CDs. I'd rather pay for a full uncompressed sound. Plus I still like looking through and reading the booklet.

13. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Same here .I have the scores for I-VI and the Clone Wars movie as physical CDs .I plan to complete my collection.

14. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Opening theme should stay the same. It will be like the PT probably with some small references to older songs and actually playing an older song. Songs I would love are, Binary Sunset, Imperial March, Leia's Theme, Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, and Battle of the Heroes.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Star Wars main theme is a guarantee. We're also virtually guaranteed to get the Force Theme as well. Imperial March in some form is likely, though with Vader dead it might not feature prominently. Leia's theme might happen. Dual of the Fates? Not likely. And I think Across the Stars and Battle of the Heroes are totally NOT going to happen. Why would Anakin and Padmé's love theme or the theme for the dual between two dead characters be used in the sequels? Makes no sense and probably won't happen.

16. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm interested to see if Anakin's theme will end up making a brief appearance.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's a possibility!

18. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I can't see the Imperial March or the Emperor's theme being used ( unless the rumors of a Palpatine Sith Spirit are true, then by all means let Sheev have his theme) being used as they are part of Vader and Palpatine. I actually hope we get a new and different theme for The First Order and Kylo Ren like how we got Duel of the Fates for the Sith in the PT( I kind of associate it with them).

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The Emperor's theme is used for general dark evil as well.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    For anyone who watched the new trailer, did we all notice the use of Han and Leia's theme? I'm sure the music was done custom for this trailer but that seems to indicate we will hear that theme in the film...

21. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    I have no f-ing idea whether or not the trailer music is Williams. Two conflicting reliable sources stating that it is or isn't his

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh really? Interesting.

23. Howard Hand

Feb 11, 2015
    Disregard that last post I made. It's not Williams

24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The only time I remember it not being used with the Emperor, was when Anakin confessed to killing the Tuskens.

Was it used any other time?