main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TFN] The new TheForce.net

Discussion in 'Communications' started by BobTheGoon, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
  2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Crap Bob I was just about to announce it. :(

¤Night

3. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I liked the old one better, personally, but this one is still good :)

4. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Yep told you guys this a month ago that it would be released around this time.

I like the old version much better.

5. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    We've known this was coming for over a year, Indy.

The banner is so bland compared to some of the stuff that has been on the front page in the past. You'd hardly know it was a Star Wars site if you removed. It looks like someone just slapped together a webpage out of a Dreamweaver template.

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Old version owns this new version.

I think its too cluttered personally.

7. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Sorry to say this TFN Web Developers, but stay with the old design.

Dont fix what aint broken.

" I think its too cluttered personally. "

Defenetly. Lists are alot better.

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    We've known this was coming for over a year, Indy.

Some of us have known for closer to 2 years, but that's neither here nor there.

But I agree, it's not that great a look. I have agreed since Josh first told me that they were revamping the look that the site needed it because the look was a bit dated and could be reworked. But I think that there were so many other things that could have been done that would have looked a little bit better.

That said, the individual section pages look better now than they did before.

9. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I sure am glad the ads aren't the least-bit intrusive, and you can find all the news you want right away.

Oh wait...

10. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I never had any probs with the old design. I liked it. But I really like this new one too. Sometimes it's good to have a change. :)

11. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    If your concerned with ads, block the ads in your host file.

Thats what I do and I have such a great internet experience because of it all content no ads.

Also the font is way to small.

12. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    The big ol' ad in the middle of the main banner is real attractive :rolleyes:

Seriously, they spent two years designing this? I'd ask for my money back.

If your concerned with ads, block the ads in your host file.

Thats what I do and I have such a great internet experience because of it all content no ads.

Oh, that's the first thing I did with adBlock. I love, however, that the ads are hosted by sites with seemingly random names, like www.kjkljs.com. They change everytime you reload the page. Nice way to get around ad blockers.

13. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Why even change it?

Nobody was compaling.

If its not broken dont fix it

"Oh, that's the first thing I did with adBlock. I love, however, that the ads are hosted by sites with seemingly random names, like www.kjkljs.com. They change everytime you reload the page. Nice way to get around ad blockers."

Well I have done it a certian way I NEVER ever get Allposters ads, no doubleclick or any single banner ad.

14. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    nice overall layout......bad visuals.....lots of visual cluttering. I like the old one better.........it's just like theonering.net and it's my favorite web layout. However, I could survive with this new one too i guess.....

15. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Yep theonering.net has the same layout as TFN and most other sites as well in a list format.

Thats the way to go.

Nice and neat

16. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Also the font is way to small.

I think that's what bothered me more than the ads themselves.

It's like the page screams "LOOK AT ALL MY AD SPACE!!!!!" while actual news items you'd want to click on are really small.

The proportions are all out of whack.

Then again, TFN's main page was gonna evolve into a standardized IGN look, as some people have correctly predicted...

17. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Yep

"we will launch it very soon, all converted or not"

Boo

18. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Some of this new design is what I was hoping for a while back, but it does make it seem 'just like any other site'. While I agree it seems neater, i think they could use the space a little better, widen it out to use the full page like before.

19. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Increase the font size, uyyy its way too small.

Cluttered

20. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    I hate it. It's all just compressed into one big centered chunk, resulting in my head wanting to explode even trying to find something. The old layout was more 'user friendly' and nicely set out. [face_plain]

21. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Its like bizarro like they are going back to a un professional design

22. starbird2273

starbird2273 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2003
    I like the main page, with exception to the ads and font. But the new article pages are nice. looks more modern.

23. jpfisher

jpfisher Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2004
    This has got to be one of the worst web designs I've ever seen from a pure usability standpoint -- now, the old design sucked usability wise too (the whole tiny font super-tall sidebar menu was atrocious), but at least you could see the news easily.

You have no idea where your eyes should go, there's too much going on... and there's nothing Star Wars about it other than the top graphic... a lot of other big fan sites have better designs, IMO.

I realize TFN has a lot of content, but this is not the best way to deliver it.

24. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
  25. It seems to be a major step down from the current design.

26. I liked the old one better, personally.

27. It looks like someone just slapped together a webpage out of a Dreamweaver template.

28. Old version owns this new version.

29. Dont fix what aint broken.

30. I sure am glad the ads aren't the least-bit intrusive, and you can find all the news you want right away. Oh wait...

31. I hate it. It's all just compressed into one big centered chunk, resulting in my head wanting to explode even trying to find something. The old layout was more 'user friendly' and nicely set out

32. You have no idea where your eyes should go, there's too much going on... and there's nothing Star Wars about it other than the top graphic.

33. I realize TFN has a lot of content, but this is not the best way to deliver it.

34. I knew I was always in good company. [face_love]

New TFN = sell-out

35. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Meh...I don't care for the new design at all. Then again, I don't visit the main page that often so, I guess it doesn't matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.