main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TFN] The new TheForce.net

Discussion in 'Communications' started by BobTheGoon, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    You're making posts as if this can't be changed and customized. Of course it can. As all the bugs from the switch are ironed out, then they can go in and begin to customize all the areas and give them each their own unique feel like before. It just takes time, that's all. There aren't a lot of people who are working on this.

Yes, but I wonder how many of them are reading this thread. Heck, I wonder how many go into the boards at all.

2. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    I think the answer to that would be "zero".

I think I'm the only staff member that frequently posts... And that's because I'm a regular user first. The whole staff thing came about from an unrelated angle.

But, I did make it a point to speak with my contact and he did have a look at these threads. So, I know at least one guy is getting the picture.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Am I the only one who found this funny, in the latest TF.N announcement regarding the new look. And I'm going to bold the best part.

those involved in the massive conversion of almost 100,000 page and stories can tell you. Based on feedback already, we know some love it and some wonder what we've been smoking. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons for both opinions. You can rest assured we will continue to work to make sure the site meets both your needs and ours.

It sure would be nice if they'd come here and discuss what we actually think is wrong with it, instead of lurking or reading emails.

Oh and another thing anyone know how to check the @fanforce.net email? I can't find the login anywhere in that heap of mess.

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    From the "FanForce Navigation" drop down near the top of the main FanForce page, choose "FanForce Email" (at the very bottom of the list. Or, go directly to:
    http://theforce.net/fanforce/fanforce/readmail.asp

5. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Thanks. I greatly appreciated that. :)

6. SithedMyPants

SithedMyPants Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2004
    sucks. donkey. balls.

7. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Can't wait to see the response to that ^^ LOL!

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Uh, not sure the phrase "donkey balls" is here. ;)

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yet you still felt the need to quote it, instead of just saying "that phrase".

10. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
  11. mustang_dvs

mustang_dvs Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 17, 1999
    Right now, the "new" TFN looks like this:
    Safari could not open the page ?http://www.theforce.net/? after trying for 60 seconds.

It'll show up in Mozilla and IE, but all of the sudden, it's broken in Safari. (The "new" site did work for a while in Safari, earlier this week.)

The boards are s-l-o-w, too.

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Strange. Maybe you should report it.

13. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I found out something "interesting".

The drop down menues don't appear to work in Firefox, I believe thats been noted. However I clicked on a link to a story in the Ep 3 section (The M&M's one to be specific) and the browser just sat there. No matter how many times I clicked, nothing.

I could go the Ep 3 section itself, but still not read that story.

Cutting and pasting the URI ito a new tab also didn't work.

So just as an experiment, I disabled the Adblock extension.

Guess what? The link worked exactly as expected.

So obviously they've added code to make the site unusable to people who choose to block ads.

Not cool. What happened to my freedom to not be subjected to advertisement? I guess I'll be forced to take my free choice and get my Star Wars news elsewhere since TF.n apparently cares more about advertisers than content.

EDIT: Well I tried a few other links, and they seemed to work just fine? The M&M's story still acts like a non-link. So OK, there must be something wonky going on. Either they are trying to stop Adblock users from accessing the site, or there is something there that causes the combinatoin of Firefox/Adblock to break, and its the only page I've ever seen do that.

14. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Does anyone know if there is any way to get the Completly Unofficial Star Wars Encylopedia to be downloadable kinda like timetales? I used to love CUSWE until it went to this new format, now it is just a pain to navigate through.

Perhaps this is better in Lit, but I figured I'd be redirected here, so might as well save them 5 seconds of their life. :p I've gotta say that this design really really sucks now as it affects something that I used to use on a regular basis. [face_plain]

15. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    I agree. CUSWE is very useful to me ALL. THE. TIME. Except now, it's much harder to get around, I think. The layout of the new CUSWE blends in too well with the rest of the layout (which is entirely TOO busy).

I also agree that there's nothing especially Star Wars-y about the layout.

I have to admit, though, that however easier the old layout was, it was pretty worn-out, and the layout was actually kind of messy at times. There weren't enough straight lines.

Now... there are too many straight lines. TF.N needed a fresh look, but this was not the one.

16. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Is it just me? Or does this new TFN seem to be moving slowly tonight?

17. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Errant, Jaina, if you want the downloadable version of the CUSWE, PM me and we'll arrange some transfer details. I have a copy (the HTML version) from before the big transfer that I can zip and send to you in a variety of ways. :)

I_F

18. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Just because the TFN staff doesn't post in these threads, don't think for a minute they are ignored. Virtually all of the TFN staff has seen this and read every email, especially the technical and design team. Just a note to ease your mind!

:)

JG

19. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    That's reassuring, but I wonder what their response is to the overwhelmingly negative reaction from the users...

20. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    The same as usual...nothing. [face_plain]

21. pika122689

pika122689 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2003
    I really hate the new design. Either change it back, or keep the generally ORIGINAL look as it has always been, but streamline it a bit more, like IGN's homepages (isn't that part of theforce.net now, or has been for as long as I've been here?).

22. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    THank you, sir, it does help at bit.

However, whether they care or not is a different story...

23. darkmole

darkmole Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    I'm getting used to the new design but the one issue I think should be addressed is the font size. It probably looks okay on a big high-res monitor but on my screen the text is hard to read.

24. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    The only thing I don't like is that in the fan art section the link to 'the Museum' looks so much like the ads on the site that I was going 'Where is the damn fan art museum?'

That would totally confuse me more if I was a new internet user.

The design is nice, it just needs tweaks. And it needs to be scalable somehow.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    (isn't that part of theforce.net now

IGN definitely isn't part of TFN. TFN just has a business contract with IGN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.