main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming "Thank the (Mario) Maker!": Super Mario Maker Discussion & Level Sharing

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 15, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But it would rain enough to last a lifetime.

PCCViking likes this.
  2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Hooray, a definitive answer for the question "If you could only play one game for the rest of your life, what would it be?"

The2ndQuest likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pretty much- if not for a (presumed) limit to the number of levels you can save at once, you could even bypass the need for an online subscription after an initial month of downloads.

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm still a little sad they didn't add an overworld creator that you could put multiple levels into.

Ramza and PCCViking like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They still might- they clearly haven't shown us everything about the game yet (looking at you, probably-SMB2-theme-empty-slot). A couple quick feature reveals as part of their E3 Direct or as a Treehouse announcement wouldn't be out of place.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The generous part of me says "Well maybe the architecture had to be different enough for the new features that it's just not possible" and the cynical part of me says "Oh, shocker, Nintendo not doing something neat with its online features yet again."

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I've never played one of the Super Mario Maker games. Does it come with a set number of levels to play through as well, or is it all fan-made content? Just curious.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    IIRC the first one had some premade levels but if you're buying it for those you're making a pretty serious mistake.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The first game had a few example stages through codes included in the booklet that came with the game. Additionally there were spotlight challenge stages from Nintendo periodically online (often tied to a celebrity thing or an amiibo costume) and those stuck around so you could always run through any you missed.

This new game adds a full story mode, however (likely because, unlike with Wii U, you have to pay for Switch online service and they want to ensure the game has playable value offline out of the box beyond the levels you create).

Yeah, the rep claims cited in that article say that "the extensive list of new items and features was a major reason why the two games are incompatible with one another."

But it just seems weird that you couldn't take a level using the items that they both share and only enable the new stuff after it's downloaded. Unless the issue is really with getting the SMM2 online functionality to be compatible with the SMM1 online system in order to access the levels to begin with. There were issues with the 3DS accessing levels from the Wii U I think, but I always figured that was more hardware/technical limitations.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That wouldn't surprise me, it always seemed like SMM1's online functionality was this accident they stumbled onto and hastily fleshed out when they realized there weren't enough Wii U owners for people to just share their levels via SD cards.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With the way they handled save data and such I kinda doubt they'd have gone an SD card route to import data off of (I could see that making it too easy to hack the game). I think they actually underestimated the community since they eventually made that separate site later on to better handle/search the level content being made.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Exactly, hence it's the most Nintendo-like solution. :p

But in any case I'm cautiously optimistic 2 will be better online overall since they'll presumably know more of what to expect.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm very likely to make this one a digital purchase since there doesn't seem to be any kind of collector's edition and I think it's one of those games I'll want to have on me at all times. I'm eying that $100 for two game vouchers deal to use one of on this, but not sure if I can justify paying for a second game right now that I probably wouldn't play for a very long time (plus i'm not sure what 1st party game I'd really want at this point since I want to buy Odyssey and BOTW as physical copies. Maybe Splatoon 2 but I kinda see that as a physical purchase also).

Either way, I may just end up getting SMM2 right away and save my money for the inevitable E3 eShop deals...

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'd like to play SMM2, but I still don't own a Switch. I wonder if E3 is going to have any Metroid news.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Given the MP4 "starting over" delay was only a few months ago, I doubt we'll get anything from that project this year, or even next. A Prime Trilogy rerelease/remaster seems possible- I think most people were pretty much expecting it to hit this year as a prelude to MP4 next year, but it was held off when MP4 was delayed. Still, they might use it to plug the release hole in the schedule now.

But a Samus costume for SMM2 seems almost certain in some form or another.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's a little unfortunate but then I guess we didn't have any multiplayer last time, let alone online multiplayer, so it's at least a step in the right direction. And at least you'll still have local co-op. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning, though:

"...with global leaderboards, the matchmaking for competitive play would be compromised if you could play with friends. That limitation also extends to co-op play, as well, despite those [modes] not being leaderboard driven."
    So is it saying people would have an unfair advantage in the rankings if matched with friends?

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Unfair advantage in the nonexistent rankings in the case of co-op. I don't even.

Also wasn't their whole friend code push for over a decade predicated on the idea that you wanted to play with friends and not randos? This all just seems like a problem that doesn't need to exist.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can only think that they want to focus on keeping people connected in the same region rather than friends cross-region to reduce network stress- I seem to recall them doing something like that for another game, but you still had the option to use friends instead.

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003

One interesting tidbit from this video is how unique the coding is for the New Super Mario skin - the game with Cat Mario is that if you're designing a level in any other base deisgn and switch to it, it deletes everything you've just been creating, so watch out for that. I hope a warning box comes up where you can cancel before deleting your progress.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They did go over that in the Direct briefly- the New Super Mario Bros theme won't delete if you switch to any of the other original ones. It's the Super Mario 3D World theme with the cats that is its own separate thing that cannot palette swap. That's why it's separated with a divider below the others. The empty space next to it suggests we can probab;y look forward to other non-swappable palette themes with unique gameplay features, like SMB2.

Also, double-dammit! No amiibo support in SMM2 (at least at launch). That's a real shame. It was a fun way to unlock costumes in place of the 100 Mario Challenge. the different 8-bit costumes of the characters were neat to see.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest, I fired up the old Wii U and played your SMM levels last night. The only one I could complete was Block Blockers 1.0. I tried the others a handful of times each with no luck. After that, I tried playing some of the levels where the users had the highest rank and I couldn't beat them either. There was one with springboards and a pow and I could now figure out how to get to the flag. I replayed my levels and laughed how poorly I designed them, but I still had fun because I could beat mine. Haha. I finished off my playing the 10 mario challenge. I liked the remix stages. Nice little trip down memory lane. It did make me realize that I'm now in NO RUSH to get (a Swithch and) SMM2 lol.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for taking a look at them. I definitely need to update/recreate some of these when SMM2 comes out. Noki Bay in particular would benefit from red coins and locked doors (as far as the underwater section goes). But I can see places where they can be made better (Block Blockers is almost perfect, but I want to fine tune one section in the middle still).

My levels were probably a little too tricky at parts- but some of them were meant to be. Crypt shouldn't be too impossible once you get past the initial obstacles. Noki Bay's hardest part is probably in the middle before you get to the boss. Goomba Gauntlet has a couple tricky exploration branches but the critical path can become relatively easy after enough tries.

Skygates gets harder as it goes along. I'll probably shorten that one up a bit. Fatal Factory can be tough, depending on if you don't get too distracted by side adventures,

Last edited: May 30, 2019